• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neogaf's Game of the Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technically shouldn't this vote be limited to only the winners of previous GAF game of the year winners?

Look's pretty crummy on our part if something that wasn't voted GOTY for that particular year win game of the generation ?

Zampano

The most fun I've had all generation:
X11c2MV.png

I like you.

Would be fine with Dark Souls or MGS4 winning though.

Can't wait till MGS4 wins.

Haha. First post GAF strikes again.
Will love the re-vote of "Game of the 8th Generation" in 2024 when people will be without doubt still sour about MGS4 winning it.

But honestly, we should still wait at least a year before voting. Don't forget that the PS2 gave us a pearl like God of War 2 in March 2007, way after the unveiling and release of the PS3.

noffles

Banned
Technically shouldn't this vote be limited to only the winners of previous GAF game of the year winners?

Look's pretty crummy on our part if something that wasn't voted GOTY for that particular year win game of the generation ?

Not everyone plays these games in time. I only managed Red Dead in the last two months, for example.

StuBurns

Banned

Not really, GAF isn't a single person, it can't contradict itself.

Not necessarily. There are games which have won GotY but have aged poorly and the general opinion of it has changed. GTA4 is a terrific exemple. It won a plethora of GotY awards, but I wouldn't dare put it on the list of contenders.

Seda

It'd be better to allow all games from the generation. A lot of people play games LTTP, among other reasons.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

I don't think so, necessarily. Time changes perspectives, and all that. For example, I thought MGS4 was amazing when it came out. Now I think it's the worst in the series. Maybe more people played Dark Souls well after it came out, for example, which is probably true because that game mostly got big due to word of mouth. And of course the PC version came later.

Also, let's not do the whole objective, "which game had the biggest impact" thing, because it's boring and stupid and it would be Angry Birds, empirically, for having the most players. And let's not get into that gatekeeping "iOS games aren't real vidyaaaas" horse shit.

The passage of time reveals all

Certainly Mass Effect 2 beating SMG2 will be a source of laughter and shame when we look back at it

We should probably wait till the end of the year for this.

But on the other hand it has to be Super Mario Galaxy anyway, anything else would be embarrassing.

It's probably Dark Souls. Bayonetta also comes to mind. Lot of stuff comes to mind for potential second place, but...only a few might be the actual best console game of the gen.

Nyunpa

Neo Member
All you gotta do on Gaf is mention Dark/Demon Souls and people will come out of the woodwork to praise it.

For me Most Enjoyed-> Pokemon Black or Radiant Historia

Most Played-> Golden Sun: Dark Dawn

How can Dark Souls win when it didn't even win GotY.

It's gotta be Uncharted 2, or I hope it's Journey.

Meh, it released at the end of the year. It just needed more time for people to play it to truly realize its greatness.

I don't know how GAF continues to vote for cinematic non games.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator

I wont lie- i'm pretty sure some years we all end up voting for something based off of either hype or lack of competition the rest of that year.

MGS4 definitely comes to mind in regards to both of those.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
How come some people are so bitter over people voting for Dark Souls? (Even though this isn't the voting thread)

L1NETT

For me personally,

RDR
Arkham City
Bioshock
Xenoblade
Mass Effect 2
Portal 2

Probably a few more, but no way I could plump for just one. Probably not going to be much use in this then :p

Vibed

SMG2? TWEWY? Xenoblade? JC2? Demon/Dark Souls? I really can't decide.

In my opinion it would probably be a tie between the first three.

lingiii

Banned
it has to be World of Warcraft. no discussion. game colored a decade of development efforts by all kinds of studios, and destroyed everything in its path. gets points for crossing over into "casual" world, bringing in all kinds of people who otherwise don't play games.

to a lessor extent, I would begrudgingly back COD4 Modern Warfare for similar reasons.

I don't feel I've played enough games this generation to really make an informed decision but the one that took me by suprise was Batman: Arkham Asylum

it has to be World of Warcraft. no discussion. game colored a decade of development efforts by all kinds of studios, and destroyed everything in its path. gets points for crossing over into "casual" world, bringing in all kinds of people who otherwise don't play games.

to a lessor extent, I would begrudgingly back COD4 Modern Warfare for similar reasons.

Even if we're counting PC-only games(which makes a lot of things a little fuzzier), World of Warcraft would have been the previous gen.

ohlawd

with the way this thread is going, DS is gonna win.

but guys for god's sakes, don't fragment the Galaxy 2 votes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom