• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

D.Lo

Just to be clear, you meant 1920x1080 with "1K", right? Because, and I know this is really stupid, the old "number followed with i(nterlaced) or p(rogressive)" nomenclature referred to resolution height, while "number followed by K[ilo]" refers to resolution width, so 1K would be more like something like 1024x768 or 1280x720.
Yes it was just my random shorthand for 1080. And yes it's pretty dumb. 'HD' itself was a stupid name, destined to be outdated.

Huggers

So the Analogue NT isn't a disaster? That's good news. I'll still stick with my RGB Nes and RGB Famicom with a BVM set up for now but might look into HDMI in the future as another option. Think I'd always go original hardware/case though personally. Anyone know how tricky it is to do the HDMI mod and are the boards available?

D.Lo

Looks like $120 for the HDMI mod kit. Installation would be about as difficult as the NESRGB because it requires removal of the Cpu and PPU.

Still, where does it end? HDMI SNES? HDMI N64? What I liked about the NESRGB is all it does is brings the NES into line with most other old consoles which already have RGB or can be modded easily.

I'm staying out of the NT thread from now on because people spent a huge sum of money on them and even if it's effectively a $250+ re-case if they like their new box so be it :)

I'm glad it's a viable new option and one that works well (and easily) with modern TVs. But I want to be able to play several retro consoles on my plasma TV so I'm still looking to invest in a Framemeister soon.

Still, where does it end? HDMI SNES? HDMI N64? What I liked about the NESRGB is all it does is brings the NES into line with most other old consoles which already have RGB or can be modded easily.
HDMI N64 IS already happening. I can't imagine SNES being that far behind.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Can't wait for all these console HDMI mods to come to fruition only for the connector to be phased out for something else.

televator

Late reply, but this isn't true. If it was, there wouldn't have been much of a reason for the XRGB-1 and XRGB-2 to exist in the first place.

I could have sworn I've seen videos of people using PC CRTs... Maybe it's just obscure models. Anyway, thanks for clearing that up.

HDMI N64 IS already happening. I can't imagine SNES being that far behind.

So is Dreamcast, and Gamecube. Kevin, the creator of the Hi-Def NES, is already tossing around other ideas, including HDMI MegaDrive.

Can't wait for all these console HDMI mods to come to fruition only for the connector to be phased out for something else.

I don't see being that big of an issue as it was going from analog sources to digital conectors. I would ecxpect the next standard connector to incorporate HDMI signals.

Peltz

I really doubt it will be phased out any time soon. It's been the standard for so long that even if it were totally replaced as a consumer standard, HDTVs will not stop being manufactured with it for quite some time.

Much like how HDTVs still come with composite and component inputs despite the fact that those inputs been irrelevant for 10 years now.

Are there any benefits to the Disk System version of Akumajo Dracula vs the cartridge / American Castlevania? Is there enhanced sound / saving?

I'm more worried about the increased focus on HDMI for older systems making it so no one cares about SCART anymore. Wouldn't want people to stop making SCART cables and switches.

Huggers

Looks like $120 for the HDMI mod kit. Installation would be about as difficult as the NESRGB because it requires removal of the Cpu and PPU.

I'm staying out of the NT thread from now on because people spent a huge sum of money on them and even if it's effectively a $250+ re-case if they like their new box so be it :)

Ah okay cool. I mostly agree. Rgb across the board with a CRT is the way to go. Just thought it light be an j treating option for the front room. And yeah, I made the mistake of seriously questioning the NT in the thread. Didn't go down all that well as I recall

Mega

Banned
Ah okay cool. I mostly agree. Rgb across the board with a CRT is the way to go. Just thought it light be an j treating option for the front room. And yeah, I made the mistake of seriously questioning the NT in the thread. Didn't go down all that well as I recall

I get the appeal. People want the best experience for their existing HDTV setup. I just see a lot more aesthetic appeal and a better visual/control experience in AV Famicom coupled with a good CRT. I keep running the value proposition of the NT through my head and thinking: why not just run a top-notch emulator on the same PC I have connected to the living room plasma? Why bother with expensive dedicated hardware if I'm not getting the desired SD visual effects and zero input/display lag?

And I read today it loses RGB functionality if you get the HDMI upgrade. That seems really unfortunate.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I get the appeal. People want the best experience for their existing HDTV setup. I just see a lot more aesthetic appeal and a better visual/control experience in AV Famicom coupled with a good CRT. I keep running the value proposition of the NT through my head and thinking: why not just run a top-notch emulator on the same PC I have connected to the living room plasma? Why bother with expensive dedicated hardware if I'm not getting the desired SD visual effects and zero input/display lag?

And I read today it loses RGB functionality if you get the HDMI upgrade. That seems really unfortunate.
I love properly upscaled old school games on an HD flat panel (and yeah I have a PVM too), but I'd still go RGB -> Framemeister for that.

shanafan

Just got back from my honeymoon in Maui, and did a quick stop at a local store called Maui Comics and Collectibles. It was mostly comics, but they did have some NES cartridges available.

4ZRzTso.jpg

I picked up Super C and Metal Gear (with manual) for $18. I thought I was going to score Super C for the $3.50 sticker, but it was a from a box of new games that he just got in. I was fine with $18 though, happy to support the business.

Super C was $10, and Metal Gear was $8. Metal Gear is in top-notch shape, but Super C needs a cleaning.

And before anyone asks, I have a very supportive wife who allowed me to stop after I took her to a waterfall ;)

Mega

Banned
^Yeah, super boring game.

Haha holy crap is that an official feature, or it just accidentally creates a circuit that combined the sync?

Reminds me of when I was designing an amplified RGB cable for the Sega Mark III, I wanted to include an FM audio break in, and it turns out the way the circuit is designed (a simple series circuit) I could use the input as an output! As such I didn't need to mod the console or FM unit at all.

Small update: this continues to work flawlessly on a Sony 20M4U (1998) but not a recently acquired 20L2 (2004). See below for an old thread on the 20M2MDU that has people discussing it also working on that model. Similar model but with some significant differences (different connector layout with two RGB inputs). Maybe an accident? Seems confined to the M series.

http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3804.0

D.Lo

Congrats. What was the game?
Gekikame NInjaden. Aka Ninja Turtles 1.

Just found out there is a third NES Contra game.
Not really. It's an unrelated Japanese game (Arc Hound) with the Contra logo slapped on for the US to try and sell more. Then the game was so crap they didn't even release it in Japan.

At best it's a spin-off. And the beginning of the downward spiral of Contra unfortunately.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
I accidentally won an auction last night for Mario Bros, so I'm pumped that I got it for as cheap as I did.

Loved playing it as a kid.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Visting family who have a huge rear projection TV so I brought my NES. Looks OK and the image is just fucking huge. It's a 55-inch TV, I'd guess. Trying to get the whole fam into some Duck Hunt and Tetris.
Would a light gun game work on a rear projection?

Just got back from my honeymoon in Maui, and did a quick stop at a local store called Maui Comics and Collectibles. It was mostly comics, but they did have some NES cartridges available.

I picked up Super C and Metal Gear (with manual) for $18. I thought I was going to score Super C for the $3.50 sticker, but it was a from a box of new games that he just got in. I was fine with $18 though, happy to support the business.

Super C was $10, and Metal Gear was $8. Metal Gear is in top-notch shape, but Super C needs a cleaning.

And before anyone asks, I have a very supportive wife who allowed me to stop after I took her to a waterfall ;)

Super C for 10$? That's a steal both retro gaming stores around my area had it about $18 and $25 respectfully.

I also saw the original Contra about 30$ as well didn't bite on either.

ElTopo

Banned
Just as a challenge to myself I played and beat Ninja Gaiden 1 again. As an aside; it's not even my favorite ninja game. My favorite ninja game is easily Shinobi 3 followed by Shadow of the Ninja on the NES. I used roughly 4-5 continues and died at the final boss twice. Just wasn't able to get in the right groove to defeat phase 2 so I just got that Upflame attack and wasted him.

Just wanted to check on what version I had so if any of you guys could answer these questions I'd appreciate it:

In the North American version: is it normal when you make it to a boss your health is restored before the fight?

Also in the North American version: is it normal when you make it to the final boss, you lose at phase 2 or 3, start from the beginning, but when you make it back to the boss you resume fighting the phase you died at but without restored health?

I think I saw an LP of the NA version that was different from the one I played. I'm definitely not playing the Japanese version but I think I could be playing a European version or some sort of revision.

Timu

Just wanted to check on what version I had so if any of you guys could answer these questions I'd appreciate it:

In the North American version: is it normal when you make it to a boss your health is restored before the fight?

Also in the North American version: is it normal when you make it to the final boss, you lose at phase 2 or 3, start from the beginning, but when you make it back to the boss you resume fighting the phase you died at but without restored health?
Only for final bosses will your health be restored for the 1st time fighting them.

And if you die on any of the final bosses, when you fight them again, the game doesn't restore your health between final bosses at all.

Overall I still overcame the challenge of not dying once, I just had to memorize 6-2 and beating Jaquio.

Mega

Banned
So much stupidity in that video. Not to mention they're talking about themselves.

Yeah, that made no sense. He's mad that Contra is selling for $30, so he luckily got a copy for $15 and he's selling it for... $30. What???

What else did you feel was stupid about what they were saying? I don't keep up with this game collector stuff.

baphomet

Yeah, that made no sense. He's mad that Contra is selling for $30, so he luckily got a copy for $15 and he's selling it for... $30. What???

What else did you feel was stupid about what they were saying? I don't keep up with this game collector stuff.

That, and the fact that they seem to be confused as to why prices for games go up. There's exponentially more people buying retro games now and there's a limited number of these items that exist. It's literally the most basic example of supply and demand there is.

Not to mention they're both exactly what they're talking down on.

Speaking of Contra, why it is so expensive?

The game was everywhere I remember.

There are a bunch of games like that. That have a ton of copies out there that just will not go down in price/keeps rising. The "shelf collector" thing may be part of the reason, more for the actual rarer games, but what I think is a bigger problem is that the people that control the main stock of these games that are being sold are people that are doing it as a business. The good prices and deals out there are eaten up more often then not by resellers who just want to put it back up at the "proper" price. I mean the guy in that video is raging out about "shelf collectors" when hes even a representation of that. His view is kinda warped too since he works in a second hand game store, and is basing stuff of off not seeing the game in store that often anymore, when I would say a bigger reason for that is internet selling and people not just unloading their collection to some gamestore anymore.

TL:DR; You can't get Contra for $5 anymore because anyone that is selling it for that has it bought instantly by a reseller who is doing it as a full time job. The market never sees that price, but instead the $40 on ebay later that day, and relisted for months.

I've complained about how resellers control certain games and markets too much in these threads already. Could be I'm bias on this specific issue since I have a large collection that I never plan on selling as well though...

Edit:
I liked your old avatar more baphomet :c

That, and the fact that they seem to be confused as to why prices for games go up. There's exponentially more people buying retro games now and there's a limited number of these items that exist. It's literally the most basic example of supply and demand there is.
I don't think it's that simple, it's not just because more people are buying... that's a factor, sure, but not the only one. Values for different games are going up differently, after all, it's not some flat-rate increase on all titles. I mean sure, without demand prices can't go up, but just having demand doesn't force prices up as much as they have gone; there's also speculation, greater attention coming to certain titles thanks to the internet, people removing games from the market by buying them and then not selling them (as they point out in the video -- I agree, that's definitely a thing), etc. I think the video is mostly accurate.

Not to mention they're both exactly what they're talking down on.

Pat is to at least some extent, sure, and they do admit that in the video, but how is Ian? He's just paying what the market demands, if he didn't pay that much for the game the person probably wouldn't have sold it to the store. You can't go too far under ebay values or people won't sell, I would think. So no, I don't agree.

There are a bunch of games like that. That have a ton of copies out there that just will not go down in price/keeps rising. The "shelf collector" thing may be part of the reason, more for the actual rarer games, but what I think is a bigger problem is that the people that control the main stock of these games that are being sold are people that are doing it as a business. The good prices and deals out there are eaten up more often then not by resellers who just want to put it back up at the "proper" price. I mean the guy in that video is raging out about "shelf collectors" when hes even a representation of that. His view is kinda warped too since he works in a second hand game store, and is basing stuff of off not seeing the game in store that often anymore, when I would say a bigger reason for that is internet selling and people not just unloading their collection to some gamestore anymore.

TL:DR; You can't get Contra for $5 anymore because anyone that is selling it for that has it bought instantly by a reseller who is doing it as a full time job. The market never sees that price, but instead the $40 on ebay later that day, and relisted for months.

I've complained about how resellers control certain games and markets too much in these threads already. Could be I'm bias on this specific issue since I have a large collection that I never plan on selling as well though...

Edit:
I liked your old avatar more baphomet :c
Resellers are certainly a factor driving up prices, but just as important is that more people realize that the games have value so they research ebay values and base what they ask for for the game based on that, instead of how it used to be with lots of people selling off games for super cheap. This focus on looking up ebay prices drives up prices for items in stores, this has been an issue for years. Remember that there used to be a sizable gap between the lower prices in most physical stores and the higher prices on ebay? Well, people eventually started looking online before pricing things.

Resellers are certainly a factor driving up prices, but just as important is that more people realize that the games have value so they research ebay values and base what they ask for for the game based on that, instead of how it used to be with lots of people selling off games for super cheap. This focus on looking up ebay prices drives up prices for items in stores, this has been an issue for years. Remember that there used to be a sizable gap between the lower prices in most physical stores and the higher prices on ebay? Well, people eventually started looking online before pricing things.

Yeah, I may have just gotten stuck in another of my reseller rants when at the start it was more about games that have a ton of stock out there that will not fall in price. Sure I think resellers have a part in that, but the main thing I still hate is the completely controlled market and prices on the games that don't have a ton of copies. When you can see the same exact people that are currently selling a game for over current market price bidding up everything that comes lower then it until that is the normal price. My bad.

Recently beat Castlevania for the first time ever. I had to holy water spam Death and Frankenstein but hey it's in the game. Still not sure the pattern on the last boss and his spawning. That was the hardest part about him. His second stage was pretty easy. Classic game, may try a no continue run in the future.

Also played through 8 Eyes, which just so happens to be heavily inspired by Castlevania. I thought it was pretty fun. Surprisingly good music. I just recently picked it up and had never heard of it before. Once I figured out how to use the dumb bird and the order to do the levels I had a good time.

Khaz

Because the prices for the various Mega Man carts are stupid, I tried to go for for one of those pirate carts of a whole bunch of games on it. Mine is a 10in1 called "Rockman Family" and contains Rock Man 1 to 6, Rock Man 7 (6 with an altered start screen), Rock Man 6 Hank (?), Rock Man X (a platforming game that has nothing to do with Mega Man, so terrible I can't even pass the first pit), and Rock Board. Only the 1-6 games are worth it, and maybe Hank as it seems to be a hacked game with different levels and bosses. 1 and 2 also have buggy music for some reason (mapper problems?).

I still think it's a pretty good deal for $15 and I will be talking to the seller in order to have another cart with other hacks instead of the crap 7,X and Board, and maybe put the American version of the official games too. But this stock 10in1 Rock Man cart is OK in itself if you want all your Mega Man on cartridge without using an everdrive or paying stupid prices.

Top Bottom