• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nesquik vs. Ovaltine vs. Hershey Syrup

Status
Not open for further replies.
ovaltine.gif

turned me off ovaltine for life

More Ovaltine, please!

Serious answer: Quik.
Which at some point later on got rebranded as "Nesquik" I guess.

ssBU4fl.jpg

(Had it in exactly those kinds of containers too...)

this was what I grew up on

DJ_Lae

They're all kind of shit. I like making my own chocolate syrup using dark cocoa powder and go a bit light on the sugar. You end up with an absolutely glorious chocolate milk in the end.

I have the flu right now, though, so even thinking of the taste of Ovaltine is making me want to puke.

terrisus

Yup. I refuse to call it NesQuik! And I want the tin containers back.

Glad I'm not the only one.

The "Nesquik" branding of it always seemed so strange to me.

this was what I grew up on

Seeing this comment paired with the username "Lactose Intolerant" is strange to me, since I always had it with milk.
But then, my wife always had it with water, so who knows.

I haven't had nesquik since i was a kid. Kind of miss it.

lawn.gif

For as much as I love and have tried most of the chocolate powder posted on this thread (plus the feels on mixing)
Aside from the nesquik double chocolate, nothing has come close to the flavor of this one...

trumoo-gallon5ks48.jpg

ChrisD

Oval time followed by Nesquik... and Hershey's way below. Chocolate milk is supposed to be sweet, but not THAT sweet.

_woLf

Nesquik powder. Pre-made chocolate milk tastes absolutely terrible, but mixing the powder into fresh 2% is sogood.

Growing up we always had Nescau, from Nestlé, so probably your Nesquik.

Eventually we were introduced to Toddy, from Pepsico, and it tasted so much better we could never go back to Nescau.

Last year I saw an article comparing the two. Nescau was 90% sugar. Toddy was 98% sugar.

Everything made sense then.

Original cans were baller tho

Ovaltine is the superior choice, btw. Nesquik is horrible.

Seeing this comment paired with the username "Lactose Intolerant" is strange to me, since I always had it with milk.
But then, my wife always had it with water, so who knows.

I'm not actually lactose intolerant in real life. I just took the name because it is one of the dumbest "inflictions"

terrisus

Aaa! A nostalgia attack from behind! Oh my god I can smell it... Every time you pop open that lid... Mmmmm

Indeed. And the lid was always a pain to open, until you remembered, "Oh yeah... The spoon..."

I'm not actually lactose intolerant in real life. I just took the name because it is one of the dumbest "inflictions"

Alright then.

With milk is the best way to have it anyway.
I had no idea what my wife was talking about when she asked if I wanted it with water >.>

kunonabi

Nesquik for chocolate milk and hershey's for ice cream. Ovaltine is just crap. They all pale in comparison to the cocoa milk I had in Japan though.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I also find it disgusting how food industry promotes chocolate milk as a good diet food for children. Even worse is the "organic, no HFCS, no GMO" ones. Like that makes the huge sugar content a good thing.

hitsugi

I like ovaltine both in milk and used in chocolate desserts. I like Hershey's syrup with vanilla ice cream or used to make a chocolate shake, and... Nesquik is fine. Was never too big on it but I also didn't dislike it.

QP3

I always preferred the Ovaltine over the Hershey Syrup, although growing up we always seemed to have the syrup (for other uses) instead of the Ovaltine powder.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
For as much as I love and have tried most of the chocolate powder posted on this thread (plus the feels on mixing)
Aside from the nesquik double chocolate, nothing has come close to the flavor of this one...

trumoo-gallon5ks48.jpg

TruMoo is god tier.

Last holiday season they did a limited edition Roasted Marshmallow flavor that was amazing.

User 406

Banned
When I was a kid, I'd fill the glass halfway with Quik powder, fill the rest with milk, and then stir it near the top enough so only about a third to half of the powder dissolved. I'd drink the chocolate milk, then eat the remaining milk-soaked chocolate powder paste with the spoon. I'd also do this with malted milk, sometimes together.

Hershey's syrup was good for a quick dose, just tilt your head back and squirt a shot right into your mouth like a water bottle.

Nowadays I just boil some water, sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract to make my own chocolate syrup. Can make it as dark and thick as I like that way.

terrisus

When I was a kid, I'd fill the glass halfway with Quik powder, fill the rest with milk, and then stir it near the top enough so only about a third to half of the powder dissolved. I'd drink the chocolate milk, then eat the remaining milk-soaked chocolate powder paste with the spoon. I'd also do this with malted milk, sometimes together.

I used to mix peanut butter in with Quik >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom