• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NEW] Alan Wake Screens

yes. in the past, i made a point pc hardware have elasped console hardware these days. believe now? :)

bubut consoles have futuristic names = more powerful...?

SuomiDude

Otherwise looks pretty great, but why can't they ever make the character running animation look realistic...? Wake looks like he's just shit his pants or something here, pretty much ruins the otherwise nicely set atmosphere (the walking animation is pretty much perfect though). Other thing is how plastic some of the stuff looks like. It's been a problem with many next gen games.

SuomiDude said:
Otherwise looks pretty great, but why can't they ever make the character running animation look realistic...? Wake looks like he's just shit his pants or something here, pretty much ruins the otherwise nicely set atmosphere (the walking animation is pretty much perfect though). Other thing is how plastic some of the stuff looks like. It's been a problem with many next gen games.

A lot of PC games put less focus on animation than console titles. The animation in Max Payne was similarly janky. It'll get better, though. Or I hope it will anyway, I need something to test my new Core 2 Duo rig on besides Bioshock.

But yeah, besides the animation it's visually pretty fantastic. It's hard to make out details in such crappy video but it would seem that it has come a long way from the early teaser footage.

hadareud

The Translator
this looks incredible.

The water is unbelievable - I hope they get this game to look like this on the 360. I think they will.

Galdor

That was great. It surpasses even Crysis imo; graphics, physics, environment, shadow and light effects. I'm wondering how it will look like on PC's without a Quad Processor and DirectX 10 videocard. Hopefully at X06 there will be a lot more details about the game.

tiong_fi

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2841&p=2

Alan Wake was demoed during Paul Otellini's keynote on an overclocked Core 2 Quad system running at 3.73GHz, mainly because the game itself is significantly multithreaded and could take advantage of the quad-core system. While development is still continuing on the forthcoming game, we did get some insight into exactly how Alan Wake will utilize multiple cores.

Surprisingly enough, Markus indicated that Alan Wake would pretty much not run on any single core processors, although it may be possible to run on single-core Pentium 4 processors with Hyper Threading enabled, with noticably reduced image quality/experience.

The game will actually spawn five independent threads: one for rendering, audio, streaming, physics and terrain tessellation. The rendering thread is the same as it would be in any game, simply preparing vertices and data to be sent to the GPU for rendering. The audio thread will obviously be used for all audio in the game, although Remedy indicates that it is far from a CPU intensive thread.

The streaming thread will be used to stream data off of the DVD or hard disk as well as decompress the data on the fly. Remedy's goal here is to have a completely seamless transition as you move from one area to the next in Alan Wake's 36 square mile environment, without loading screens/pauses. With Alan Wake being developed simultaneously for both the Xbox 360 and the PC, efficiency is quite high as developing for a console forces a developer to be much more focused than on a PC since you are given limited resources on a console. Markus admitted that being a PC-only developer can easily lead to laziness, and developing for the 360 has improved the efficiency of Alan Wake tremendously. With that said, Markus expects the visual and gameplay experience to be identical on the Xbox 360 and the PC when Alan Wake ships, hopefully without any in-game load screens.

The physics thread will be used to handle all of the game's physics, which is driven using Havoc's physics engine. As Alan Wake uses Havoc's engine, there is no support for AGEIA's PhysX card and thus the host CPU must handle all physics calculations. During the keynote Markus mentioned that the physics thread used an entire core by itself, later clarifying that on a normal Core 2 Quad processor approximately 80% of one core would be used by the physics thread. With 80% of a single core being used for physics alone, the dual core CPU requirement is no longer so shocking.

As a mostly outdoor game, Alan Wake features a tremendous amount of varying terrain that is generated semi-procedurally as you encounter it. The generation/tessellation of the terrain as its encountered occupies the fifth and final thread that Remedy's game spawns. If Remedy can get the game running on Pentium 4 CPUs with HT enabled, it will be with less smooth terrain tessellation (so you may see some popping of terrain) and obviously with fewer physically simulated objects.

Although we are very curious to see how development the Cell processor would run Alan Wake, given that Microsoft Game Studios is Remedy's publisher the game's Xbox 360/PC exclusivity needs no explanation. Remedy's Alan Wake team is approximately 30 strong, which is quite lean for a next-generation title, although most artwork is outsourced under the direction of Remedy. Remedy will supply specifications for the art it wants designed, and then hand it off to external art firms that will then produce it to the specs. By outsourcing the artwork, Remedy is able to focus on its development strengths and keep the overall team size down while leveraging the expertise of dedicated artists from around the world.

The demo ran extremely well on the test system, which was a Core 2 Quad running at 3.73GHz with a GeForce 7900 GTX. Markus said that it would have run just as well if the Core 2 Quad was running at its default clock speed, which we assume was 2.66GHz. The game looked even better than when we first saw it at E3 and we eagerly await its release. If Alan Wake is any indication, it won't be long before gamers start thinking about the move to dual/quad core if they haven't already.

Galdor

Sure, but if you have a dual core it will look worse than the quality of the graphics shown in the video. Not bad, but it's interesting for me to see how big the differences are finally.

quetz67

Banned
aaaaa0 said:
Just making an general statement about how rapidly console hardware seems to fall behind the PC these days.

I dont think so, the 360 is nearly a year old, thats the time when PCs usually catch up at least the best looking games...and Alan Wake (or Crysis) isnt even released

aaaaa0 said:
Honestly, anything that the 360 would have problems handling vs that quad-core PC, the PS3 would likely have similar problems as well.
I dont think so, 360 and PS3 are also multicore (which are until now probably not really used). Console architecture usually makes up for a little less raw power. I think we will see amzing stuff on the next gen consoles and I think PCs will in the near future only excel the consoles in texture sizes (which IMO are already very good on consoles).

I think when it comes to effects or physics the consoles will be able to compete for quite some time. I seem to be quite lonely with my opinion, but I still think the best graphics are created by the right balance of polygon detail, textures size and (texture) effects. I never understood why people wanted to play Doom 3 with ultra high texture settings when the heads of the marines still looked more like cubes due to lack of polygon detail.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
aaaaa0 said:
DUAL CORE 2 QUAD = 8 CORES.

It's quad-core: 4 cores. Each quad-core has 2 dual-core dies on it.

I'm getting an upgrade-bug though..my rational mind is telling me not to, since I don't think anything has even stressed my dual-core setup yet, but..shiny new hardware :/

Well I don't think we'll be able to zoom around the environment like that on the 360, but that isn't part of the game anyway. The lighting, both during the day and night, is mindblowing.

Silent Hill might have a legitimate contender this generation!

ChrisD84

If they can get that running the same or close to it on the 360 then that will be pretty amazing, that video was rather impressive ^^

But if it doesn't look as good when it's shown tonight i fear people will scream downgrade and say it looks crap etc, even if it still looks good >_<

Hope we get some proper gameplay footage of the game from X06 :)

bud

firefoxsux said:
yes. in the past, i made a point pc hardware have elasped console hardware these days. believe now? :)

bubut consoles have futuristic names = more powerful...?

lol

Kabouter

gofreak said:
I'm getting an upgrade-bug though..my rational mind is telling me not to, since I don't think anything has even stressed my dual-core setup yet, but..shiny new hardware :/

I have the same thing :lol
I'm currently using an X2 4200+, 2GB RAM, 7800GTX 256MB
And I kinda wanna upgrade again early next year :lol
I'll just try to put it off until early '08 :p

Kolgar

With that said, Markus expects the visual and gameplay experience to be identical on the Xbox 360 and the PC when Alan Wake ships, hopefully without any in-game load screens.

:O

Believe it when I see it, though. :)

I wonder how this game can be taking advantage of the most power pc rig...and also run identicle on 360...I think if its is properly optimised it could run the same proberly...I seriously doubt this is fully taking advantage of the that rig anyway

peace

ElectricBlue187 said:
while this looks good I'm going to wait for the gameplay before I go crazy over it.
Remember the Indigo Prophecy!
eh. it wasn't gameplay that killed indigo prophecy, it was that the damn story jumped the train and went to hell.

plagiarize said:
eh. it wasn't gameplay that killed indigo prophecy, it was that the damn story jumped the train and went to hell.

especially at the end. oh my awful god what a godawful ending. and the parts where you have to play simon says during the cutscenes, blah it had so much potential...makes me sad.

ElectricBlue187 said:
especially at the end. oh my awful god what a godawful ending. and the parts where you have to play simon says during the cutscenes, blah it had so much potential...makes me sad.
i actually liked the simon says bits. i even didn't have trouble watching the cutscenes and focussing on the circles... but that i think is because i'm pretty well versed at rhythm games.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Incase anyone forgot the twist to this one, he's asleep.*

*Prediction, not actual spoiler.

Looks great by the way.

Nander

Ghost said:
Incase anyone forgot the twist to this one, he's asleep.*

*Prediction, not actual spoiler.

Looks great by the way.

Hmm? He's suffering from insomnia, and is going nuts due to the lack of sleep. That's at least what I thought :)

Looks absolutely amazing, the water looks unbelievably good :)

Feindflug

Looks awesome. :)

btw is this only PC / X360 game? what happened to the PS3 version? I remember seeing the game listed as PS3 / X360 / PC.

Feindflug said:
Looks awesome. :)

btw is this only PC / X360 game? what happened to the PS3 version? I remember seeing the game listed as PS3 / X360 / PC.
it didn't have a publisher back then.

Microsoft stepped in to publish it, ruling out a PS3 version (for at least a while).

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
You mean at least forever. Somehow I doubt MS will be publishing too many PS3 games.
depends on who owns the IP etc. wouldn't be the first time a game was released again later by a different publisher (Top Spin or Half Life 2 for example).

Macht

I've been waiting for more information on this game since it was first shown. I'm excited to see how it plays and to hear more about the story, but graphically it looks great so far.

aaaaa0

gofreak said:
It's quad-core: 4 cores. Each quad-core has 2 dual-core dies on it.

I'm aware THAT machine is a quad core. I'm just saying, watch for the dual socket workstation motherboards. :D If you can put 2 quad core CPUs on one of those... whoahhhhh baby. :D :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Suikoguy said:
aparently he is still the only inhabitant in that world

Well, except for the hundreds upon hundreds of dudes in rain coats.

Ryun1

This game evokes movies like the original "Wicker Man" and "Race with the Devil." you know, creepy cult movies about cults. Children of the Corn style.

clashfan

Alan Wake and Blue Dragon are the games I'm most excited about playing on the 360. I just hope the 360 can match the PC version.

Top Bottom