• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dead or Alive 5 footage. (Update 2: Releasing Worldwide In September)

TreIII

Hmm. Stll looks a lot like 4. eg Lots of stuns and the ground game.

There still are a couple of things worth noting, even in spite of some similarities. For example, as has been reiterated, "DAT LAUNCH HEIGHT".

The Akira trailer seemed to be based on a build milestone where the changes that have been made are even more evident. So, in short, most of what we see and will see based on this DOA5 alpha/demo is already outdated! :lol

Liethe

I am so excited for this. Have not played DOA ever since it migrated to the xbox, (well, I played some DOA3 at my friend's place) and before that I played both 1 and 2 religiously.

The new models, the stages... everything looks so good. My only remaining fear is about the costumes, but thinking about it, in this day of DLC, they would be pretty dumb NOT to include tons of them... so I guess I'm covered.

...now to wait another half a year. :|

TreIII

I like how you can basically just be like "fuck it, going for the quick damage with no possibility of reversal!" with the Power Blows, too.

It does more to make it seem like they are, in a way, a glorified, universal command throw sequence, if anything.

I wonder if I can buy the NG3 collector's edition and sell off all the extras + game for close to the asking price ($99.) I really want the 4 character demo...

It seems like the hold windows and stun thresholds are smaller, but it could just be wishful thinking after having watched the videos about a thousand times.

...how come Ryu only has 3 blocks in attack and Hayate, Hitomi and Ayane 5 blocks?
Hopefully this means Team Ninja is making an effort to not have 4 characters shit on the rest of the cast.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So...demo is out...without ng3.

Woah, really? I know Ninja Gaiden 3 comes come Tuesday with a DOA5 demo. I thought that was going to be exclusive for awhile before coming available to everyone....

Except the public available demo only has two characters per platform in it. NG3's demo has all four characters provided.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Except the public available demo only has two characters per platform in it. NG3's demo has all four characters provided.

I thought the CE only had all four characters.

The original announcement was that NG3 came with a demo of console specific characters, but the CE's would contain all four characters. Don't know how that's changed.

raven777

only NG3 CE's demo has all 4 characters.

normal edition of NG3 had 2 characters each, depending on console for japan(PS3 had ayane and Hayate, XBOX360 has Hayabusa and Hitomi), and where you buy for US (Amazon has Ayane and Hayate, Gamestop has Hayabusa and Hitomi)

There is rumor of public demo but its not official

raven777

I will be really unhappy if they actually release the same demo online.

They should have just released free demo online with 2 characters, and premium demo with 4 characters for NG2 preorders. They made it sound like the demo was exclusive for preorders and CEs.

Well, if they release hitomi and haybusa demo, at least I can try that one out as well.

SykoTech

Damn, hype train's crashed early (at least for me). Got outta class and took some time to look it up, and yeah. What people are saying about the Collector's Edition seems to be correct.

Oh well. Looking forward to some videos and impressions.

louie

Not sure if I like the character selection screen. The stats are kinda funny, how come Ryu only has 3 blocks in attack and Hayate, Hitomi and Ayane 5 blocks?.

The Hitomi player on the second video did some good stuff. One week to go!.

Honestly, I'd say that's pretty fair. All of his ranged attacks are unsafe, punishable or just plain slow. Hayate even has a version of his best crush (2f+k, imo). He mightn't be a three (he's still better than most), but he can definitely be out-striked by Ayane and Hayate. It's the easy access to the izuna drop that truly makes him blitz the rest of the cast.

Skilletor

Honestly, I'd say that's pretty fair. All of his ranged attacks are unsafe, punishable or just plain slow. Hayate even has a version of his best crush (2f+k, imo). He mightn't be a three (he's still better than most), but he can definitely be out-striked by Ayane and Hayate. It's the easy access to the izuna drop that truly makes him blitz the rest of the cast.

Losing Izuna drop on all punch holds would also drop him a notch or two in the damage department.

Losing Izuna drop on all punch holds would also drop him a notch or two in the damage department.
Some characters will be getting more than just the mid advanced holds. I wouldn't be surprised to see them show up there. Although having them as advanced instead of normal still makes it a nerf. GOOD.

louie

But is it a nerf though? Expert holds seem like something that would only take a few minutes to master, if even. So why even bother with the normal hold when playing as Hayabusa?

But is it a nerf though? Expert holds seem like something that would only take a few minutes to master, if even. So why even bother with the normal hold when playing as Hayabusa?
Expert holds mean you have to guess punch or kick in addition to hit level, which you don't have to do on normal holds. I'm not sure if the frames are any tighter.

DrDogg

Um... no. Hayabusa is good for more than just the Izuna Drop. He is OP in DOA4 for so many reasons.

Expert holds mean you have to guess punch or kick in addition to hit level, which you don't have to do on normal holds. I'm not sure if the frames are any tighter.

Expert Holds are only for mid-punch/kick. So there's no guessing involved outside of the normal counterhold guessing. If you're going to guess a mid hold, you do the Expert version.

Skilletor

Um... no. Hayabusa is good for more than just the Izuna Drop. He is OP in DOA4 for so many reasons.

Expert Holds are only for mid-punch/kick. So there's no guessing involved outside of the normal counterhold guessing. If you're going to guess a mid hold, you do the Expert version.

It's not a separate advanced hold for mid punch/kick?

He still would only have izuna off of one hold as opposed to 3.

Universal expert holds are mid only. Characters like Bayman and Lei-Fang had a full suite of advanced holds previously and will most likely continue to do so. I speculated that it's possible for Hayabusa to regain the Inuza Drop for all levels using the advanced/expert hold inputs. The expert mid hold is not just substituted for the normal mid hold. Normal mid hold grabs punches and kicks, expert hold is broken into two. If you feel confident in guessing the hit level and not the attack type, you chose the normal mid hold. And we still don't know if the mid expert holds have the same frames as the mid normal holds.
DOA5_Default_Controls.jpg

Skilletor

Hmm...are strong punch and strong kick something new? or generic descriptors?

Also, I hope powerblows are a button combination and not a 4th attack button.

Right, but I mean I wonder if this a new universal thing. p+k w/ ayane, for example, would just be her spinney slap thing. Not really a "powerful punch." k+g would be a launcher.
That poster was from an event that was almost exclusively filled with journalists who had no idea how to play DOA. I think it was just an easy naming convention to help them understand the general concept.

DrDogg

It's not a separate advanced hold for mid punch/kick?

It is, but in DOA4 and DOA2U the mid hold was divided into punch and kick, so that's nothing new.

Universal expert holds are mid only. Characters like Bayman and Lei-Fang had a full suite of advanced holds previously and will most likely continue to do so. I speculated that it's possible for Hayabusa to regain the Inuza Drop for all levels using the advanced/expert hold inputs. The expert mid hold is not just substituted for the normal mid hold. Normal mid hold grabs punches and kicks, expert hold is broken into two. If you feel confident in guessing the hit level and not the attack type, you chose the normal mid hold. And we still don't know if the mid expert holds have the same frames as the mid normal holds.

I made no mention of advanced holds. While I agree that Bayman and Lei-Fang will probably still have them, I was only talking about the "new" Expert Holds. Right now there's been no indication that Hayabusa will have advanced holds. All we know is that his Izuna Drop holds are likely Expert Holds (although we don't even really know that).

I'm also hoping that the frames are severely reduced on all holds. I'm thinking more along the lines of 5/7/30, but I doubt that will happen.

I made no mention of advanced holds.
I know. *I* did in the original post I made when I said "I wouldn't be surprised" if they gave him the Izuna Drop back for all levels as advanced holds given:
a) their irresistible urge to make him ridiculously overpowered
b) what we now know is his five block hold rating.

louie

Master has another new video up: Ryu vs. Ayane. If you don't wanna hear him blab about it then just skip to 5:55.

Ayane hitting the crane was pretty cool.

He'd still definitely be high tier without the izuna, but what I was mainly just trying to point out was that I think Ayane and Hayate are better strikers than him. Well maybe not Ayane. Imo of course.

raven777

Can anybody tell me the chronological order of DOA and NG games?

I heard from somewhere that NG takes place perior to DOA

so is it like NG1 -> NG2 -> NG3 -> DOA1 -> DOA2 -> DOA3 -> DOA4 -> DOA5?

and where does Dimensions fit in this?

benzy

Can anybody tell me the chronological order of DOA and NG games?

I heard from somewhere that NG takes place perior to DOA

so is it like NG1 -> NG2 -> NG3 -> DOA1 -> DOA2 -> DOA3 -> DOA4 -> DOA5?

and where does Dimensions fit in this?

Dimensions is just all of the DOAs put together with a few extra scenes here and there.

DrDogg

Good luck on that, Ryu was OP in Dimensions too. XD

And I see the counter to Izuna Drop shenanigans are in full effect in DOA5 too. Haha.

If the crush system is adjusted/removed, counters are nerfed, and a throw break is added (for command throws), the Hayabusa we currently know would automatically be nerfed.

I've been hoping with every iteration that they'd make a throw escaping system more like VFs, so maybe we'll see something like that implemented now that we've got some crossover to the series. Sidestepping actually being there and not total ass makes me think this may be the case.

Can't wait to get this. I play DOA2 hard core on the PS2 once or twice a month. I'm still a beast at that game.

I recently played DOA4 on a friend's Xbox and owned him and his brother every round. I should be good to go on this new one... especially considering how beastly I am at Virtua Fighter 4.

Top Bottom