• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Destiny Site Launches - Lots of new footage and info

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmlk

The mechanics for this game look to be on point and gameplay focused. You don't see that a lot for a lot of AAA games that are non-Nintendo or not called Call of Duty.

Still seems like the game is flying under the radar. I just hope it does well when it does come out. I'll likely be picking it up when I get a PS4.

Tabular

Banned
Last GIF

beta_1080.gif

Thanks for posting these viveks.

Flipyap

Bungie has actually shied away from calling the game an MMO in the past, as it is really not.

You are not in a persistent world mixed with everyone on the server. You are in smaller shards when in the main city and then in your own instance when you leave from that point.

Destiny is not an MMO in any respect.
You just described a heavily instanced MMO.
The only reason Bungie/Activision is avoiding the term is because it implies negative connotations to its target audience and they don't want to have to keep explaining that the game is about shooting monsters in the face, not about queueing abilities from an action bar. Though they still talk about "raids", so I guess some MMO terms are badass and epic enough for its audience.

And the bolded is false. The instance you land in is dynamically populated by nearby players, only within that instance you will find actual private "dungeon" instances, as you would in an MMO.
This already makes it infinitely more social than Star Trek Online, for example.

SRTtoZ

So...I preordered in June of last year, double checked my inbox and I never received a beta code. Think I should contact Amazon or wait and see if one arrives?

I6nsGJa.png

I did the same but got my code pretty much instantly. All you need to do then is register the code on the website and you're good to go. Call Amazon and they should send another.

Bsigg12

You just described a heavily instanced MMO.
The only reason Bungie/Activision is avoiding the term is because it implies negative connotations to its target audience and they don't want to have to keep explaining that the game is about shooting monsters in the face, not about queueing abilities from an action bar. Though they still talk about "raids", so I guess some MMO terms are badass and epic enough for its audience.

And the bolded is false. The instance you land in is dynamically populated by nearby players, only within that instance you will find actual private "dungeon" instances, as you would in an MMO.
This already makes it infinitely more social than Star Trek Online, for example.

It seems somewhat similar to the first Guild Wars where hub areas had tons of people and when you traveled out only your group would be with you. They however have the dynamic public events where it'll pull nearby players to takedown a large enemy (group or single entity). You can set it to play single player through the whole thing but you have to be online and you will miss out on a lot of what the game is built around.

Can't believe a game this massive, that comes out in September, is still so shrouded in mystery. Hope there's more demos soon.

I kind of like that fact. I would rather find out all the cool stuff on my own and only ever be given a very basic overview of the game up until launch.

Levito

Banned
Can't believe a game this massive, that comes out in September, is still so shrouded in mystery. Hope there's more demos soon.

It's probably not going to be mind-blowingly massive. Maybe at the end of it's purported 10-year life cycle, but I expect to play through the majority of vanilla content in ~60 hrs. Looking forward to many expansions though :)

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member

They make all employees sign a non-disclosure agreement that prevents them from disclosing anything about the game, under punishment of death.

Anyway the embargo on the preview access a few journalists got is lifting on the 28th, so expect a big roll-out soon.

ElRenoRaven

Weren't there supposed to be factions multiplayer in the game?

I don't think they've said specifically what the multiplayer is but they have said there would be some sort of PVP competitive like mode and that you'd have to actually choose to take part in it.. I could very well see some "arena" like multiplayer similar to other multiplayer games they've made in the past. In fact I'd actually be kind of shocked if there wasn't.

It's basically an open world Halo with loot and emphasis on co-op. As long as few of those elements don't turn you off, what's not to get hyped about?

I guess Halo with RPG influences sounds pretty sweet since I like customization, but I play lone-wolf style and don't care much about co-op or shared worlds. When I do play co-op (rarely) I prefer both parties to remain silent (no mics) and just play the game.

What I enjoyed most about Halo was the lore/world building. I eat that forerunner shit right up, the spartan program, cortana, all super cool.

I guess since I know very little about the lore (obviously because it isnt release yet, and they are rightly keeping it mostly under wraps) I just cant get too excited...yet.

ElRenoRaven

I guess Halo with RPG influences sounds pretty sweet since I like customization, but I play lone-wolf style and don't care much about co-op or shared worlds. When I do play co-op (rarely) I prefer both parties to remain silent (no mics) and just play the game.

What I enjoyed most about Halo was the lore/world building. I eat that forerunner shit right up, the spartan program, cortana, all super cool.

I guess since I know very little about the lore (obviously because it isnt release yet, and they are rightly keeping it mostly under wraps) I just cant get too excited...yet.

Well Bungie has said that you can complete the main narrative solo if you so choose. So don't worry.

todd360

Also fireteams are groups of 3 which is odd (literally).

dat triple screen split. Bungie is changing the way you think about split screen.

I hate split screen with a passion. Can't everyone just buy their own console, game, and tv lol.

greatgeek

Banned
I don't really care whether Destiny's combat is just a reiteration of the Halo/or generic fps formula. My hope is that its storytelling and exploration are rewarding features and not hollow ones, like we see in most massively multiplayer games.

desertdroog

Thanks, more information will be a good thing.

What timeframe has Bungie done betas in relation to their releases? 1, 2 or 3 months prior? What is the possibility that the beta will be June, July or August?

Yup as others have mentioned the embargo from a recent press visit is up then. Can't wait. I hope we get at least a new video out of the deal from someone.

I'd say videos are pretty much a lock. At the very least they'll give B-Roll footage to sites so that they can post videos previews. With that said, i'm hoping that they gave additional beta info at the event. A month when it'll be released would be great.

Ding II

It bugs the heck out of me how in the first picture that thing is gigantic with just like, the bottom tip below the atmosphere while on the second pic it looks fully under the clouds which makes it look way smaller.
Yeah, hopefully they'll pick a size and stick with it, eventually. From the ground, the Spaceball(tm) looks about 2 miles high. From space, it looks like it's at least a hundred miles high. I suppose we're just seeing different artist conceptions.

The big ball looks sweet from space, but something that size would shroud Mankind's Last City(tm) in perpetual twilight, so I see why they dialed the size back a bit.

Bsigg12

Thanks, more information will be a good thing.

What timeframe has Bungie done betas in relation to their releases? 1, 2 or 3 months prior? What is the possibility that the beta will be June, July or August?

Halo 3 and Reach both had betas in May with September releases.

This game better have more than just combat.

It has saluting, dancing and speeder bikes. Adjust hype accordingly.

Kunan

I've personally found its marketing kind of infuriating and pretentious. They've been spending too much time saying it's epic and innovative and not enough time actually telling me why it is. It feels forced.

However, what I can piece together from footage looks pretty decent, so I'm optimistic. Looking forward to the media blitz.

Curious, if it's cooperative multiplayer how would you coordinate attacks/defenses?

If all parties are well acquainted with the game, it isn't difficult to coordinate non-verbally simply by reacting to each other. You both know what needs to be done and fill whichever role needs filling.

If you see your buddy taking a defensive stance then you go on offense, or the other way around. Or if you take the initiative, your buddy sees that and acts accordingly.

As long as you both are on the ball, it's easy. Some of my best co-op partners ever, I never spoke a word to. We just both knew what needed to be done.

Sure, in more complicated games that wouldn't be enough, but I don't play games like LoL or DOTA or any MMORPGs. Works fine for what I play.

I've personally found its marketing kind of infuriating and pretentious. They've been spending too much time saying it's epic and innovative and not enough time actually telling me why it is. It feels forced.

However, what I can piece together from footage looks pretty decent, so I'm optimistic. Looking forward to the media blitz.

I feel the same way. The corny posts come off as very pretentious.

Madness

I do believe Bungie partnered with Sony for them to have more content. I would assume with the language Bungie is using that the PS4 is the main console they expect people to play it on (but then again it could be included in their partnership agreement to sell the PS4). I don't think it would be a reach to say that the PS4 version will be "better" but until E3 or next week we won't have statistics to back up this claim besides the fact that the PS4 gets more content.

Edit: Also the fact the PS4 is more powerful than the X1.

Was actually Activision that partnered with Sony. Just like Activision partners with Xbox for Call of Duty in the sense Xbox owners get early DLC etc.

Of course as the superior hardware, the PS4 version will indeed be the best, but remember, for nearly 10+ years they were Xbox exclusive. Destiny was started as an Xbox 360 developed title. And that the majority of Bungie fans are/were Xbox owners. So it's a stretch to say that PS4 will be the main platform to play on, when I'm sure Xbox 360 will probably outsell all of them. Many will simply play the version their friends will be on, or the console they own.

I'm waiting for the beta. I'll purposely play it on Xbox 360 to see how it looks and plays. If it is sluggish or doesn't look that great, I'll probably buy it next gen. As a Halo fan, I'm waiting for E3 to see whether the Halo 2 Anniversary rumors were true or what they have planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom