• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Destiny Site Launches - Lots of new footage and info

Status
Not open for further replies.

broony

Have they mentioned whether or not a character would be cross-platform? I'm sure not, but that would be pretty cool.

Just that your character(s) is tied to your Bungie.net account, so in theory they could make them cross platform, but they have not said anything yet.

My guess is your character will be interchangeable between 360/Xbone or PS3/PS4 but not 360 / PS4 or PS3 / Xbone.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
It's still unclear to me what this game is going to be. Is it an MMO FPS that's got a cooperative side to it? Is it going to have competitive pvp multiplayer traditionally like Halo games?

The website does absolutely zero explaining of what the game is.

It's still unclear to me what this game is going to be. Is it an MMO FPS that's got a cooperative side to it? Is it going to have competitive pvp multiplayer traditionally like Halo games?

I think Borderlands is the closest comparison except more open as in you will come across other players naturally in the world as opposed to having to jump in to other people's games. There is also competitive PVP that hasn't been talked about much, but seems to be similar to traditional Halo.

Anyone know if there are going to be more classes than just the three shown?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Of course, if you try to pre-order in Canada it fails to load the best buy link. No beta for me I guess.

GravyButt

Got the beta code email, but no code. Been about 4 hours. What gives?!

Ps: the area where the code is supposed to be is blank

So is it mainly people in the US who are now receiving their beta codes? I spoke to Amazon UK support and they just told me to expect it before the summer. I'm not sure what to expect really.

Can any one clarify?

So is it mainly people in the US who are now receiving their beta codes? I spoke to Amazon UK support and they just told me to expect it before the summer. I'm not sure what to expect really.

Can any one clarify?

I pre-ordered from Amazon UK back in October and got the key almost straight away. Just wait, if you haven't received one a week or two before the Beta starts, get in touch with them.

Squalor

I wonder if the not so amazing sales of Titanfall worry Bungie. Online and all.
What?

Titanfall was a new I.P. and pushed over one million on one platform. I'm sure it will do well on the 360, as well.

Destiny, which has, at least, as much hype, but maybe more, will do just fine.

I pre-ordered the game back in November and received and entered my beta code then. I can't wait for the summer. Also I think this will be the first game I am willing to buy the highest priced collector edition. Bungie collectors editions seem to always be amazing, I know people who still have things from the earlier Halo games. Hopefully they announce something so I can make the plunge and switch on Amazon.

Jarmel

Banned
What?

Titanfall was a new I.P. and pushed over one million on one platform. I'm sure it will do well on the 360, as well.

Destiny, which has, at least, as much hype, but maybe more, will do just fine.

Titanfall did great saleswise. Bungie however has a much much higher breaking even point so they really have to hit a homerun.

I'm treating Destiny like an MMO and holding off to purchase for a few months until it gets a couple patches under its belt.
The first month of every MMO is the best experience.
After that, 90% are at endgame and low level zones are empty.

No way I'm missing out on the initial rush.

This is the reason I'll be buying a PS4. It's been my plan from the beginning. I've been signed up for the beta since Nov 6th of last year. I'm so ready. Just announce it already!

So I preorder with amazon get my code, cancel preorder then what? Redeem on their site?

That's a real crappy move that I know some people were doing. (I know some people never got a code from Best Buy so they did it so it's understandable). I'm hoping Amazon doesn't change their pre-order mechanism where you have to pay full or some amount for bonuses that you would get before the game is released.

thenexus6

Its redeeming this code onto my Bungie account with both my xbox live and PSN won't affect anything will it? I will be getting / playing on the PS4 not xbox

I wouldn't mind paying in full for the game now if they allowed digital preorders. Guess its up to Bungie or Sony to release a digital skew to amazon

Is there a concrete reason Destiny will be 'better' on PS4?

I do believe Bungie partnered with Sony for them to have more content. I would assume with the language Bungie is using that the PS4 is the main console they expect people to play it on (but then again it could be included in their partnership agreement to sell the PS4). I don't think it would be a reach to say that the PS4 version will be "better" but until E3 or next week we won't have statistics to back up this claim besides the fact that the PS4 gets more content.

Edit: Also the fact the PS4 is more powerful than the X1.

todd360

Is there a concrete reason Destiny will be 'better' on PS4?

The console and controller are better. The ps+ is better. Bungie has said ps4 version is the definitive version. It costs less to buy a ps4 and the game than it is to buy an Xbox one with the game. Dats just like my opinion doh.

Halo + Borderlands + MMO raids and other trappings pretty much. There is PvP and they have been super vague on it. One of my biggest concerns is whether or not your gear and lvls affect PvE and if so how the heck would that be balanced?

todd360

What does that have to do with Destiny?

A lot if you think about it. Destiny is not playable unless you have a ps + subscription or a live subscription. So playing where the best subscription is at gives points to which version to buy. Ps + is a much better deal than live.

Edit: as for the other stuff I believe I wrote that it was my opinion on my last post.

MysteryM

All this talk of Borderlands is worrying me. If destiny multiplayer isnt like halo but with new characters and weapons then I'll be cancelling my preorder. Not into my MMO games in the slightest. Roll on the beta.

Grief.exe

A lot if you think about it. Destiny is not playable unless you have a ps + subscription or a live subscription. So playing where the best subscription is at gives points to which version to buy. Ps + is a much better deal than live.

So extraneous benefits from Sony somehow make Destiny better on PS4?

I can see PS+ is a better service, but that using that in this argument is a massive stretch.

Wouldn't that translate to the PS3 version better as well? Actually, literally all of your arguments would translate to that console as well, PS+, cheaper, better controller (subjective statement is subjective).

Do you see now how weak that argument is?

I do believe Bungie partnered with Sony for them to have more content. I would assume with the language Bungie is using that the PS4 is the main console they expect people to play it on (but then again it could be included in their partnership agreement to sell the PS4). I don't think it would be a reach to say that the PS4 version will be "better" but until E3 or next week we won't have statistics to back up this claim besides the fact that the PS4 gets more content.

Bungie's "partnering" with Sony and PS4 is pure marketing and if you believe any different you're deluding yourself. Bungie is a known quantity to the Xbox crowd. They already have a huge amount of fans and built in player base with the Xbox. They don't have that history with Sony fans. It makes perfect marketing sense to offer extra content and a early Beta to Sony fans so they can get to know them as a developer. I guarantee you that XBO will be getting "exclusive" content as well.

Vashetti

Banned
All this talk of Borderlands is worrying me. If destiny multiplayer isnt like halo but with new characters and weapons then I'll be cancelling my preorder. Not into my MMO games in the slightest. Roll on the beta.

Destiny is pretty much an MMO without the subscription fee.

You run around in an online world like an MMO and partner up with other people. There are single-player elements, but it's severely gimped if you don't have a constant internet connection.

You're in for a huge disappointment. It isn't arena-style multiplayer. Not even a little bit.

The console and controller are better. The ps+ is better. Bungie has said ps4 version is the definitive version. It costs less to buy a ps4 and the game than it is to buy an Xbox one with the game. Dats just like my opinion doh.

This is what I'm asking. Do you have a source for this? What exactly would make it the definitive version?

Grief.exe

Destiny is pretty much an MMO without the subscription fee.

You run around in an online world like an MMO and partner up with other people. There are single-player elements, but it's severely gimped if you don't have a constant internet connection.

Bungie has actually shied away from calling the game an MMO in the past, as it is really not.

You are not in a persistent world mixed with everyone on the server. You are in smaller shards when in the main city and then in your own instance when you leave from that point.

Destiny is not an MMO in any respect.

Skeleton

Banned

you're wrong they did mention about exclusive PS4 stuff either at e3 or when the ps4 announcement:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/392491/destiny-coming-to-ps4-exclusive-playstation-content-promised-video/

BOOM

todd360

I can see PS+ is a better service, but that using that in this argument is a massive stretch.

Wouldn't that translate to the PS3 version better as well? Actually, literally all of your arguments would translate to that console as well, PS+, cheaper, better controller (subjective statement is subjective).

Woah now you lost me when you referred to ps3 controller as better. It does not translate to ps3 version being better. We are looking for the best version of the game yes? I was thinking along the lines of someone wanting the best version of the game who is concerned with everything that influences it. Ps4 version will be superior in how it runs. You can take that to the bank and deposit it into your checking account. It's legal tender here in the states. Ps4 version of the game not only runs better but it is cheaper to get for people who haven't bought a new console yet. The subscription is better as well since it offers more value. It doesn't offer magical clouds though I guess. Ps3 version is superior to the people who don't care how the game runs and don't want to have to pay a yearly subscription or buy a new console. Oh and also ps4 version is supposed to have some kind of exclusive content. The beta is even coming to playstation first if I remember right.

He's beating around the bush too much. The (unconfirmed but nearly inevitable) better visuals and Sony exclusive content would be the two most compelling reasons to go PS4 for Destiny in the eyes of the average gamer.

Bungie's "partnering" with Sony and PS4 is pure marketing and if you believe any different you're deluding yourself. Bungie is a known quantity to the Xbox crowd. They already have a huge amount of fans and built in player base with the Xbox. They don't have that history with Sony fans. It makes perfect marketing sense to offer extra content and a early Beta to Sony fans so they can get to know them as a developer. I guarantee you that XBO will be getting "exclusive" content as well.

This almost completely ignores the fact that it's a new gen with a different install base. Judging by overall sales of each system, it's safe to say that a number of Bungie's 360 fanbase own PS4's at the moment. An exact number is impossible to tell but to assume that Bungie's fanbase is still primarily Xbox would be presumptuous at the moment.

In any case, as far as I know, the only advantage the Sony consoles currently have with regards to Destiny is timed exclusivity. People can and should buy the game on whatever console they want.

Edit: Well it appears a few posts above there will indeed be exclusive content on Sony systems. That along with a currently larger install base, would probably make PS4 the system to buy it on if one were really torn on which system to buy it on.

I don't think we know enough about the PvP to say that definitively. If there are some details I've missed, I'd like to see them though.

You go into matches with your own customized gear/weapons and you can switch gear mid-match.

That's the opposite of arena-style.

Edit: I'm talking gameplay and not map locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom