• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DriveClub build shows improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to doubt EVO, but there's no way in hell the final game will look like this.

This is basically real life, guys.

It looks pretty good, but I wasn't fooled for a second, even in such a tiny gif, and I've been fooled before by other games (GT) though never in motion.

Still this game has definitely my interest, hopefully they can get it to 60fps, that would put it on another level entirely from the competition.

Perkel

Banned
OS of lighting engine in DC. It is more complex ? It is. Better tech etc but they still lack of proper color correction.

This is how GT5 looks like and still no DC gif comes close to this gif in therms of being real life like.

ibwYS2mOGAHnrp.gif

Proper color is everything

GameSeeker

I'm tired of the 6 sec Facebook clips and GIF's (they look awesome!). I want full 1080p high-bit rate video of several laps with AI cars. Is it Friday yet? :p

jet1911

OS of lighting engine in DC. It is more complex ? It is. Better tech etc but they still lack of proper color correction.

This is how GT5 looks like and still no DC gif comes close to this gif in therms of being real life like.

ibwYS2mOGAHnrp.gif

Now try the same thing with a different TOD and lighting condition.

Honestly sometimes .. i just don't get it with people's eyes.. :)
What's terribly impressive in this one, compared to the last ones, i don't know.. The light has nothing special, those are the exact same assets we've seen from the beginning for the game.. And suddenly it's "omg real life the game cannot be like that"..

Actually i know. You just have to have the least shaky cam footage in any game and it's real life for people :p

To me it's the enviroment. Looks at those mountains and trees. That can pass as real to anyone not knowing it's a game.
But I guess I'm easily impressed.

...hopefully they can get it to 60fps, that would put it on another level entirely from the competition.

They won't. Forget about that, man.

ibwYS2mOGAHnrp.gif

This is acutally a good comparison. The car itself is very gamie. But the track. The enviroment. That's almost real life.

DieH@rd

Banned
As a long time pCARS user...I really wish that it's production did not start by aiming to have assets that can be scaled from PS3/X360 and upwards. To just imagine how could have game looked if they have aimed from the start for nextgen and PC only...

Oh well.

Drive Club looks amazing, although its lightning has its own style. Its not emulating real conditions, but it comes real close. But that will be a job for GT7. :)

velociraptor

ibwYS2mOGAHnrp.gif

Yes, it looks life like, but it looks inferior to Driveclub. The lighting, image quality, shadows, textures and environments are vastly superior.

velociraptor

As a long time pCARS users...I really wish that it's production did not start by aiming to have assets that can be scaled from PS3/X360 and upwards. To just imagine how could have game looked if they have aimed from the start for nextgen and PC only.

Oh well.

Drive Club looks amazing, although its lightning has its own style. Its not emulating real conditions, but it comes real close. But that will be a job for GT7.
eh?

Project Cars requires a very demanding PC. All the assets are high fidelity. The environments, lighting, car models blow away GT5 and Forza put together.

ibwYS2mOGAHnrp.gif

It's much easier to look like real life on tracks IMO .
Plus cockpit view cuts off a fair amount of stuff compare to DC
Either way GT7 going to look crazy when it comes out DC is only the beginning .
New clip looks nice but the HD version .

DieH@rd

Banned
eh?

Project Cars requires a very demanding PC. All the assets are high fidelity. The environments, lighting, car models blow away GT5 and Forza put together.

Im not downplaying how it looks now, but to think how many time was put into production of low-res assets. What could have be done with that time by only aiming at "nextgen consoples" or better [for PC]...

And environments in pCARS are not that detailed. DriveClub has much much denser geometry and asset details outside of the track.

velociraptor

Dat hyperbole. But I agree pCARS looks great for an alpha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO2PHxR6CbY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhX7HgM0TJY

Best looking racing game ever. Wow.

It really does look better than GT and FM put together.

@DieH@rd - looking at the latest build, there is nothing that sticks out like a sore thumb. Everything looks high quality imo. Tracks look superb, cars look superb, lighting is superb. Cockpit detail is unmatched. Rain effects/weather also looks great. Also, PC is the primary platform - it's why you need a beefy rig to run the game maxed out, 1080p, 60fps.

The detail in this game is crazy!

Honestly sometimes .. i just don't get it with people's eyes.. :)
What's terribly impressive in this one, compared to the last ones, i don't know.. The light has nothing special, those are the exact same assets we've seen from the beginning for the game.. And suddenly it's "omg real life the game cannot be like that"..

Actually i know. You just have to have the least shaky cam footage in any game and it's real life for people :p

The light has nothing special? Who gave you that "good art" tag?

We predominantly interpret light through the colours we see. Go sit in your front yard for a day and watch how the colour of your environment changes as the sun rises/passes over/sets, as objects' colours change when they move in and out of shadow, how tones change as clouds weaken the direct sunlight.

This is what DC does, a lighting engine that tries to recreate how light works in the real world? Have you ever taken an art class?

It should look better look at the PC spec but PCars has the same problem like most racing games have lighting .
It looks clean as hell but some of the models and lighting look to gamey but it in beta so that can be work on .
Which is why i happy Evo putting so much work into the lighting it can make a huge difference even more when it not track racing .

orioto

Good Art™
The light has nothing special? Who gave you that "good art" tag?

We predominantly interpret light through the colours we see. Go sit in your front yard for a day and watch how the colour of your environment changes as the sun rises/passes over/sets, as objects' colours change when they move in and out of shadow, how tones change as clouds weaken the direct sunlight.

This is what DC does, a lighting engine that tries to recreate how light works in the real world? Have you ever taken an art class?

Woho boy no reason to go to war and insult me for nothing. You're just ridiculing yourself lol..

I said the light is nothing special compared to past vids of the last days, where you had sunset and realyl realistic setting. There it's kinda flat and don't specially illustrate the subtle lighting. No highlights, no specially impressive shadow play...

I don't know maybe avoid attacking people's skills randomly on a board like that. It really makes you look like a 13y old insecure punk.

@DieH@rd - looking at the latest build, there is nothing that sticks out like a sore thumb. Everything looks high quality imo. Tracks look superb, cars look superb, lighting is superb. Cockpit detail is unmatched. Rain effects/weather also looks great. Also, PC is the primary platform - it's why you need a beefy rig to run the game maxed out, 1080p, 60fps.

Doesn't even look better then DC, let alone both put together...

pCARS will win in IQ when you supersample the shit out of it, and that's about it. Even the cars are simpler with the exception of the open wheelers.

There's a thread for comparisons, guys.

Can we not do this here too?

Perkel

Banned
Now try the same thing with a different TOD and lighting condition.

Point is that DC needs more proper color correction under all cicumstances. It does have already amazing track detail and syperbly modeled cars but it still have this game look.

I don't know maybe avoid attacking people's skills randomly on a board like that. It really makes you look like a 13y old insecure punk.

I'm not attacking you, it's words on a website. You are reading those words and imagining a 13 yr old insecure punk. Go back, read again but this time imagine a homely figure, maybe an old friend of yours explaining it in a relaxed tone.

Perkel

Banned

I don't agree. pCARS looks amazing sure. But it doesn't look real. There are problems with color correction, HDR, effects and shaders themselves.

Asseto Corsa looks better and more close to that "real" look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqTaKGfeBE0

They basically recreated GT5 lighting engine and they probably did same shaderwork as PD. That is still in dev. When it will come out with additional PC grunt it should look amazing.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
These new gifs look a little too good compared to what they had before they announced the delay. They finally look like the initial footage shown from the game in terms of lighting and motion blur. I really hope it's not just some fakery.

If it is all for real, then the delay was more than worth it. It will be back to "by far best looking racing game" status,

orioto

Good Art™
I'm not attacking you, it's words on a website. You are reading those words and imagining a 13 yr old insecure punk. Go back, read again but this time imagine a homely figure, maybe an old friend of yours explaining it in a relaxed tone.

An old friend of mine wouldn't question my legitimacy as an artist i guess and wouldn't act like an ignorant douche not even understanding what i'm saying.

velociraptor

Doesn't even look better then DC, let alone both put together...

pCARS will win in IQ when you supersample the shit out of it, and that's about it. Even the cars are simpler with the exception of the open wheelers.

I agree DC looks more impressive, but I was referring to the current gen versions of GT/FM. Regardless, this is completely off topic.

Did Evolution release any new footage (besides those 4 gifs)?

One thing I've noticed is how the dashboard camera lacks that raw vibrating motion.

I remember that the thing I loved the most when I played PGR3 was how the dashboard in a ferrari gave you that sense of raw power and speed, because it was vibrating. As if the car was struggling to hold on to the power of the engine. Would love to see DC push it a bit more in that direction.

Atrophis

I was playing GT5 this weekend and put in 30 minutes on Spa and no it does not look that realistic in game. I suspect the colours have been desatured before the gif was made to try and make it look more realistic. In any case a tiny gif is never a good representation of what a game actually looks like.

ItIsOkBro

ibwYS2mOGAHnrp.gif

This looks more like real life but it looks worse than Driveclub, if that makes sense.

Driveclub looks better than real life.

So people actually play in dashboard mode; where most of the view is obstructed?

Absolutely, the only proper way to enjoy a racing game lol. Playing in chase cam instantly trashes the sense of speed, and when your car does a flip, or barrel roll, or spins out, it's just like watching a little toy on screen rather than actually being out of control.

Much as a i want to get hyped by that trailer, following DC for while now, as well as GT trailers for years, has taught me to temper expectations until the same thing is demonstrated by gameplay.

Evo's awesome but they can be as tricky with their trailers as PD can.

GameSeeker

Much as a i want to get hyped by that trailer, following DC for while now, as well as GT trailers for years, has taught me to temper expectations until the same thing is demonstrated by gameplay.

Evo's awesome but they can be as tricky with their trailers as PD can.

Yes, today's trailer features replay mode so the graphics look extra good, as they do in replay mode for most racing games. But, if you look at the OP we have some in-game cockpit view racing footage. This give you a very clear and direct impression of where Driveclub is today. Of course, Evolution is still improving it every week and they have promised to keep providing us with new footage as they make improvements.

Famassu

ibwYS2mOGAHnrp.gif

GT5 looks great in gifs that hides a lot of the flaws & simple geometry, but that wouldn't look nearly as good if you saw it actually running in front of your eyes. Hopefully DriveClub looks better when played on a +40" HDTV, even if the colours aren't as lifelike as GT5.

eh?

that's really unfair, considering that project cars demands much more powerful hardware. wait until GT7 is released and you will get graphics as good as project car or even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom