• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA V Trailers "MICHAEL. FRANKLIN. TREVOR."

Raptomex

I wonder if they'll have an updated version of the gang territory side activity from San Andreas because of Franklin's friend. In SA it got a little annoying to manage because of how much ground you have to cover, but it was fun at first. Could be interesting to have in V in a slightly altered form.
I hope so but I doubt it. I think Franklin's story is how he leaves the gang life for something better. Hence joining up with Mike and Trevor. But I do hope gang wars return. Except more in depth than just go here and shoot these guys.

Squire

Banned
This has probably been asked a thousand times, but do you guys know the songs they used?

All these trailers have been fantastic. Every time R* has released one it's been the best I've seen for a game in recent times.

super excited for the game, but i'll have to wait until next year to play them since i have no personal 360 (it's my in laws) or ps3 to play it on.

the trailers are typical gta trailers, so there's no reason for any person or media outlet to get upset about them. they're not gameplay trailers and the visuals look decent, but they're cut scene visuals, so i'm not full hyped about that at all and i don't trust the current gen enough to pump the game out @ a locked 30 fps.

history says the game will be out on PC anywhere from 4-6 months after initial release, so i'd expect a March-April release...but who knows... they could release on PC sooner since their engine is built for pc and consoles.

Trigger

This has probably been asked a thousand times, but do you guys know the songs they used?

All these trailers have been fantastic. Every time R* has released one it's been the best I've seen for a game in recent times.

"Hood Gone Love It" by Jay Rock
"Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way" by Waylon Jennings
"Radio GaGa" by Queen

They were used for Franklin, Trevor, and Michael respectively. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Fjordson

Radio Ga Ga by Queen is Michael's, Hood Gone Love it by Jay Rock is Franklin's. Trevor is Waylon Jennings, forget the name.

Edit: beaten badly :p

I'm at around 95% completion on my old file. I stopped at one of the longer races because my car would just not survive anywhere close to the end of the race. All I needed was to complete the last few races and the train missions for 100%, should probably get that file done just to build my e-cred.

A few of the races were the hardest part of the game. There was one race in Los Santos that was incredibly frustrating. Eventually I just got lucky and the other drivers fucked eachother over so badly that I just barely managed to come in first by a second or two.

As cool as these videos are I plan to avoid this game. It is one of those high profile titles I buy out of habit. I have bought every GTA since GTAIII but 1st remains the only one I have completed. They keep adding more toys and things to do but failed to evolve past the original sandbox game. Sure they dress it up in a nice cinematic package. It's still not enough for me to deal with the bland gameplay and the superficial sandbox world I am stuck playing in.

Don't know if you're thing, but online Free Roam in GTAIV really made me appreciate all the systems in place, especially the deatail in the city and the physics. Playing with/fighting other actual people was more interesting because every player was susceptible the effects of the game's physics — burst tires, mangled car frames, Etc. A car chase in free roam was awesome because there was no scripting, like in single-player. Having a shootout go from a car chase through alleys to inside a parking garage is awesome — nothing in single-player was that free form.

Squire

Banned
"Hood Gone Love It" by Jay Rock
"Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way" by Waylon Jennings
"Radio GaGa" by Queen

They were used for Franklin, Trevor, and Michael respectively. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Radio Ga Ga by Queen is Michael's, Hood Gone Love it by Jay Rock is Franklin's. Trevor is Waylon Jennings, forget the name.

Edit: beaten badly :p

Thanks bros. Man, I cannot wait for this.

Oh. My. God.

Is it 2005? Wow @ your quote.

And as far as I can see, no one has done that in this thread ( Might be wrong ), people just keep bringing that SA shit up and that god awful post and applying it to every "I like the Mafia setting" posts here. What that guy is saying is clearly not kosher but the fact that people are pulling the racism card on an organized crime setting preference beggar belief.

Ha, yeah, about that:

Oh my god. I hope I can skip that Franklin stuff entirely. Can't stand how these guys talk. Might have to mute my sound system if I can't.

Also:

Oh stop that shit.

Gangbangers are a joke, no matter what colour they are. The old cosa nostra style mafia are way too fucking badass.

You yourself professed that cosa nostra is "way fucking badass" compared to gangbangers, which just confuses me. Why be willing to glorify one group of criminals but not another? Why does one culture of violence and petty crime thrill you and another one turn you off?

Pretty much every complaint that one could level against gangbanger fiction that makes you consider it "a joke" could be applied to mafioso fiction. I just think some people need to be a little more open-minded about crime fiction settings is all. The gulf between "gangbangers" and "the mafia" really isn't so huge.

I don't really get Rock Paper Shotgun's complaints.

Also, with the Watch_Dogs trailer, another cinematic "wants to be a movie" trailer of a male character with a bunch of "unrefined testosterone" committing a bunch of violence and blowing things up, they said it's "impressive" and is something you should "definitely watch". Hmmm.

I guess because the Watch_Dogs guy has a nice cellphone and the trailer shows piercing girl saying "Screw around and you'll get people hurt!" it gets a pass.

Edit: "sweary men" seems like a reach also. Michael does not swear, Trevor says tits, and Franklin says one bullshit

No, the difference is that we've actually seen gameplay footage of Watch Dogs.

I always thought gamers, out of all the "stereotypes" that exist, would be the most open minded.

Reading that thread, and some of the comments in this one, its clear we, as gamers, have a lot of growing up to do.

Well, it's good that they were shown to be a minority. Despite all the bullshit before its release SA went on the become the best selling game in the franchise. And it still is. In 2011 Rockstar pointed out that it'd sold 27.5m.

Sethos

Banned
You yourself also professed that cosa nostra is "way fucking badass" compared to gangbangers, which just confuses me. Why be willing to glorify one group of criminals but not another? Why does one culture of violence and petty crime thrill you and another one turn you off?

You say "but when people have to get into the particulars" and the only thing I said is I prefer the old Mafia setting over the gangbanger setting. That is not fucking particulars. What the guy did in the SA thread was particulars, very particular.

It's not about god damn glorifying, it's not about calling one of them utter trash and the other amazing it's just about an UNSPECIFIED preference due to movies I've seen, games I've played, books I've read. It's not which group I'd like to join or who I think are criminal scum and who's the good guys. They are all criminals, they are all in the wrong and it's just a SETTING PREFERENCE.

Stop reading so much shit into nothing, stop trying to push some shit on people because of a 9 year old post in another thread that you desperately want to fit here.

I can't believe you have to sit through this, on NeoGAF of all places.

Fjordson

No, the difference is that we've actually seen gameplay footage of Watch Dogs.
But both Watch_Dogs gameplay demos showed the male main character committing acts of violence. I'm not sure where the large separation between the two exists. Or at least it's certainly not large enough to warrant the extreme difference in RPS's reception to their respective trailers.

Edit: also, that first WD gameplay demo had its fair share of swearing. More so than any "sweary" character in any GTA V trailer.

It's not about god damn glorifying, it's not about calling one of them utter trash and the other amazing it's just about an UNSPECIFIED preference due to movies I've seen, games I've played, books I've read. It's not which group I'd like to join or who I think are criminal scum and who's the good guys. They are all criminals, they are all in the wrong and it's just a SETTING PREFERENCE.

That's what glorifying is, dude...

Sethos

Banned
That's what glorifying is, dude...

Someone pinch me, I'm in a nightmare.

1. To give glory, honor, or high praise to; exalt.
2. To cause to be or seem more glorious or excellent than is actually the case: Your descriptions have glorified an average house into a mansion.
3. To give glory to, especially through worship.

Nope, none of it fits. Preferring a cold over eczema doesn't mean I'm glorifying the cold.

2. To cause to be or seem more glorious or excellent than is actually the case: Your descriptions have glorified an average house into a mansion.

Nope, none of it fits. Preferring a cold over eczema doesn't mean I'm glorifying the cold.

Gangbangers are a joke, no matter what colour they are. The old cosa nostra style mafia are way too fucking badass.

So this isn't glorification of one over the other. Got it.

Lighting and facial animations are very pretty.

irjYq2UIdzQMR.gif

This gif right here is an absolute pisser. I could not be more hyped for this game.

CAN'T WAIT WILL BE GREAT

Gattsu25

Banned

Oh stop that shit.

Whoops, guess I quoted you out of context

edit: damn you, Xander!

Sethos

Banned
So this isn't glorification. Got it.

Probably but if that's all you've got to go on, fine, I glorified them in that post.

Now stop your fucking strawman shit, stop trying to make it sound like I called someone the N word and made massively derogatory statements regarding another race. I can't believe how desperate you people are, how desperate you are to paint someone as a racist, it's sickening and sad that you have ( I thought ) intellectual people behaving like a bunch of teenagers.

oneils

HYYYYYPE!

Loved the trailers. Can't wait. Now I'm gonna wade through 17 pages of reactions. SAWHEET!

Time for some Wiser's and Coke!

DPY74lW.gif

UrbanRats

So this isn't glorification of one over the other. Got it.

Seems incredibly more lighthearted in nature than the shit in the SA thread.
Like people in the Breaking Bad thread calling Walter White a badass, it's not 100% serious consideration on meth kingpins.
I'm personally of the opposite opinion though, kind of bored about stories about Italian mafia, myself.

--
Anyway, another gif i put together:

iP4kFXmwMxP5W.gif

Could turn useful once the game comes out. :p

Trigger

Anyone notice how YouTube is getting flooded with GTA fans listening to these songs now?

I won't lie, a chunk of the songs on my iPod are songs I heard in a GTA game first. When the atmosphere and the gameplay mix just right I find myself bopping along even if I don't initially care for the artist. The country station was god-like in the desert/country.

UrbanRats

Rumour is there's a lot more gameplay footage in these trailers than we realise. I personally loved them.

If you've played a GTA before you can tell which one are, i think.
Unless the animations are incredibly unique or complex, is most likely gameplay with a slick camera angle (characters walking, shooting, driving, punching).

Fjordson

Rumour is there's a lot more gameplay footage in these trailers than we realise. I personally loved them.
Yep. There always is in Rockstar's trailers. Michael on the bike, the driving, Trevor and Michael's melee fighting, driving the planes and helicopters, some of the shooting. Zero chance these are only cutscenes. Only difference is the camera angle and lack of a HUD.

Dug

Banned
Like people in the Breaking Bad thread calling Walter White a badass, it's not 100% serious consideration on meth kingpins.
I'm personally of the opposite opinion though, kind of bored about stories about Italian mafia, myself.

--
Anyway, another gif i put together:

iP4kFXmwMxP5W.gif

Could turn useful once the game comes out. :p
Someone should put Bish's face on Trevor.

Sblargh

Banned
I won't lie, a chunk of the songs on my iPod are songs I heard in a GTA game first. When the atmosphere and the gameplay mix just right I find myself bopping along even if I don't initially care for the artist. The country station was god-like in the desert/country.

Yep. Rockstar always had godlike taste in music. There's no shame in listening to what they think is good enough to be in the game.

Probably but if that's all you've got to go on, fine, I glorified them in that post.

Now stop your fucking strawman shit, stop trying to make it sound like I called someone the N word and made massively derogatory statements regarding another race. I can't believe how desperate you people are, how desperate you are to paint someone as a racist, it's sickening and sad that you have ( I thought ) intellectual people behaving like a bunch of teenagers.

I'm not trying to paint you specifically as a racist, Jesus H Mary and Joseph. I'm sorry if it's coming across that way. I'm just trying to point out that your "mafia = the coolest and street gangs = lame" point of view is rooted in like... nothing. In reality all of them are crooks that should be tossed in jail at a moment's notice, but if we're willing to make exceptions for the sake of fiction what makes American street gang fiction "a joke" in comparison?

I know. That's kind of my point, actually. I see a lot of people (NOT SETHOS, I'm not trying to gang up on him specifically) on GAF and other sites who love the Mafia because it's "classy" and glorified and cool but dislike gangbanger stuff because it's "thuggery," "stupid," "violent." Some people are totally cool with fantasy gangsters of one sort, but are uncomfortable with another. That's what I don't get.

jimi_dini

People easily forget how profoundly impressive GTA IV was when it came out (and still is).
It wasn't until people played it for 100 or so hours that they started to see it's flaws.

That's not true.

I personally played and thought to myself: "this has to get better, it has to, it's GTA god damnit it will get better". The flaws were obvious right at the start. But with time even more flaws showed up. And it didn't get better. It was somewhat like watching Episode 1. Right from the start you just know that something is seriously off and then it gets worse and worse until the credits roll.

I played it in 2009. On my second brand new PS3 (first PS3 was bought exclusively for MGS4, which was also a massive disappointment for me and it got sold right afterwards). So I should have been impressed, but I wasn't.

sunnz

People can say IVs radio was bad compared to previous GTA games but it still has A LOT more variety and quality compared to any other OW game.

Xenon

Don't know if you're thing, but online Free Roam in GTAIV really made me appreciate all the systems in place, especially the deatail in the city and the physics. Playing with/fighting other actual people was more interesting because every player was susceptible the effects of the game's physics — burst tires, mangled car frames, Etc. A car chase in free roam was awesome because there was no scripting, like in single-player. Having a shootout go from a car chase through alleys to inside a parking garage is awesome — nothing in single-player was that free form.

That actually does sound like a lot of fun. I just never cared enough about the game to bother to play multiplayer mode. I cant imagine that there is much of a community for it now.

Persona86

Banned

I think Breaking Bad is a genius way of taking that Mafia formula and making it fresh. There's a lot of similarities IMO.

Can't wait to see the final 8 episodes.

sunnz

That actually does sound like a lot of fun. I just never cared enough about the game to bother to play multiplayer mode. I cant imagine that there id much of a community for it now.

Well it still hits the top 10/20 for XBL and PSN so that is something.

A few servers on the PC too, not that populated.

Yep. Rockstar always had godlike taste in music. There's no shame in listening to what they think is good enough to be in the game.

I know a lot of people love to shit on Rockstar for how they're music snobs, but really, they know their fucking shit. Always coming from a different direction than the one you'd anticipate, and yet it works. Every time.

That Franklin trailer is the best out of the three, in my opinion.

Top Bottom