• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 4 Screenshots (Grunt new design revealed)

Man... we went from the height of its design in Reach to a Gears of War reject Wretch.

Not feeling this at all.
Same camp. I did like the Halo 2 one a lot too (as well as the original), but yeah, they went all borg on this guy. I am trying not to be disappointed that Bungie isnt handling it, but its hard not to be.

It does. Look at his hands. Dead giveaway. Not to mention the effect on the blue and gray of the armor. The lighting even darkened the yellow stripe on the gun.

That looks distinctly like 2 sets of different colored armors. I can't see any way a light source would change colors in that manner. I'm willing to bet you can customize different colors of the underarmor and separate parts of the armor.

Anyway, we'll see.

Falagard

Curious about the lack of breathing mask for the Grunts.

Love it otherwise, the visuals are detailed and clean. Cortana's new look is nice.

Ditto. My first reaction to the Grunts was that the head didn't look like previous Grunts at all. It's far wider and rounder. However, I think they definitely look more menacing. The lack of a mask doesn't really concern me, there's a tube going into its nose which could supply the methane they need.

The Elites look great. Sure, their skin has changed and the thing I dislike the most is that they aren't wearing any armor on their arms, which doesn't sound like something a warrior race would do, but they look very detailed.

Cortana looks great to me, but I'm worried the face won't match the voice now.

*Edit*

I want to see Halo 4's water. My guess is that it wasn't a focus, since it was already pretty amazing in Halo 3 and Reach but I'm interested to see it with Halo 4's lighting system.

ProXimity

Banned
Slapping my meat around pretty hard to this here set of screenshots. Are the blue and red elites opponents or something? Not enemies of Master Chief, but of each other.

What kind of magic are they using to get that out of seven year old hardware?

Are you implying the earlier halo's taxed the hardware and blew your mind in terms of textures? There is a game called Gears of War, I heard it loooked pretty good and was fun too. Maybe you should check it out.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Are you implying the earlier halo's taxed the hardware and blew your mind in terms of textures? There is a game called Gears of War, I heard it loooked pretty good and was fun too. Maybe you should check it out.

Halo 3 ODST and Reach had better textures than seen in Gears 1-2, and even a good portion of Gears 3 textures...

Vire

Mhmmmmmmmmm

Dem thighs. Dat ass. Dat tummy.

I think she looks great. MC's design is slowly growing on me. The Covenant look grotesque and hideous, as violent, hostile aliens should.

No no no.

Halo has never been about grittiness. If you want that go play another game.

Halo is about the melding of beautiful natural landscapes and pristine futuristic architecture. These characters don't fit in this universe.

The Grunt looks like a retarded brother of a Wretch and the Elite looks like the enemies from Resistance...

No no no.

Halo has never been about grittiness. If you want that go play another game.

Halo is about the melding of beautiful natural landscapes and pristine futuristic architecture. These characters don't fit in this universe.

The Grunt looks like a retarded brother of a Wretch and the Elite looks like the enemies from Resistance...

Great to see that Halo fans still prefer an artstyle created over 10 years ago, and which was designed to take advantage of limited hardware capabilities.

343 shouldn't be shackled by what Halo looked like in 2001 when designing a 2012 game.

Vire

Great to see that Halo fans still prefer an artstyle created over 10 years ago, and which was designed to take advantage of limited hardware capabilities.

343 shouldn't be shackled by what Halo looked like in 2001 when designing a 2012 game.

Did you even read my previous post? I said I liked the Reach design the best. I'm not basing it on a 2001 design.

Halo_Reach_-_Unggoy.png

Reach_E310_GruntHeavy.jpg

charsace

Halo 4 looks amazing, but it will look worse than Reach in certain areas, just like Reach looked worse than Halo 3 in some areas, but overall blew it away.

34515-Full.jpg

No matter what magic they work, Halo 4 is still running on 2005 harware.

The Spartan models he posted are not bullshots as far as models, they are theater mode shots. Only difference is Resolution and AA. The models and textures in Reach are pretty amazing.

You mean like every other game ever made? You don't say?

Relax, the Covenant we've seen so far are rogue/wanderers. Not fully functional, elite squads straight from Covie military. They're supposed to look "rag-tag".

The Elites looking fucking menacing, as they should.

BigTnaples

You mean like every other game ever made? You don't say?

I wouldn't have said it if some people weren't having a hard time with the concept....

And no, not every game ever made, just every game made on the same dated hardware, making compromise a necessity.

GhaleonEB

Ditto. My first reaction to the Grunts was that the head didn't look like previous Grunts at all. It's far wider and rounder. However, I think they definitely look more menacing. The lack of a mask doesn't really concern me, there's a tube going into its nose which could supply the methane they need.

The Elites look great. Sure, their skin has changed and the thing I dislike the most is that they aren't wearing any armor on their arms, which doesn't sound like something a warrior race would do, but they look very detailed.

Cortana looks great to me, but I'm worried the face won't match the voice now.

*Edit*

I want to see Halo 4's water. My guess is that it wasn't a focus, since it was already pretty amazing in Halo 3 and Reach but I'm interested to see it with Halo 4's lighting system.
Apparently there are Grunts in the GI issue with the normal breathing mask, not just the tubes. I keep coming back to look at the face on them, and after an initial adjustment I'm liking it a lot - as you said, it's quite menacing. They're walking a very fine line as they refresh the returning characters with new designs, revitalizing them while keeping their signature features. I've been impressed so far.

derFeef

Guess I am the only one liking the grunts. They don't look that much different to me. Really gnarly looking bastards.

gaming_noob

Is that a Halo 3 model? The low poly characters really stood out in Halo 3 and I remember being very distracted with it during gameplay - especially the second level when you're in that tunnel with your teammates.

These Halo 4 shots are VERY promising and definitely a step in the right direction IMO.

guek

Banned
Man, am I the only one who wishes the next trilogy did not involve the covenant in a major way? At least not for the first game...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Is that a Halo 3 model? The low poly characters really stood out in Halo 3 and I remember being very distracted with it during gameplay - especially the second level when you're in that tunnel with your teammates.

These Halo 4 shots are VERY promising and definitely a step in the right direction IMO.

That's Halo 2 if I remember right. Where you're playing as Arby storming the floating fortress.

You ain't the only one.......

343 has said the Covenant is not the main enemy, so I bet we don't see them a ton.

BigTnaples

Lol no.

Those are halo 2 models.

2095416-Full2-1.jpg

ElRenoRaven

Nope. That's Halo 2 Heretic Grunt.

Top Bottom