• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 4 Screenshots (Grunt new design revealed)

I can't see the connection. Plus, MDK2 was utter garbage. The first one was brilliant, though.

mdk_2.jpg

Wiggum2007

so are there going to be new enemies? elites and grunts are cool but i've been fighting the for over 10 years now.

I'm guessing like forerunners in robot suits or something. Hopefully they take after Vanquish and have lots and lots of sparks when you shoot them.

First time in the history Halo might be a decent game. From the visual side at least.

Well, we didn't even make it to page 2 to start trolling in a Halo thread. Well done sir.

Anyway... kinda cool that Cortana seems to have "tattoos", I wonder if there is a reason for this.

Wait, the flood is not coming back? I am starting to be excited.

Sadly for the flood haters (I love the little slimes), I think they will be back in the Trilogy since the release of the Flood is a galaxy spanning event and one that is VERY closely linked with the war between the Forerunners and the Precursors (and humanity).

They probably won't be back in H4 though... but you can expect them back in some form or another in H5/6 IMHO. Maybe the Flood homeworld?

Gui_PT

Speaking of achieved, can't wait to hear about multiplayer achievements

Kill 3 people through walls with one charge of forerunner vision

Get killed by an ordnance drop

He has been trying for over 10 years.
Now that is funny.
do you still copy of all ghaleongb's opinions?
I have no idea who GhaleongB is, but he sounds like a cool guy who doesn't afraid of anything.
Speaking of achieved, can't wait to hear about multiplayer achievements

Kill 3 people through walls with one charge of forerunner vision

Get killed by an ordnance drop

My life would be complete.

KageMaru

Frankie you guys better bring back the big multi-faction battles like the Flood vs. Covie. vs. Player stuff in Halo 1 and 2. Those encounters were sorely missing in 3 and Reach.

Yeah im hoping this happens as well between the new enemy, covenant, and master chief.

Because they're such an integral part of the halo universe, it would be remiss to omit them from all future games. I don't hate the covenant at all, I'm just very tired of them. I'd rather 343 crafted an entire new mythos to get lost in and incorporate the covenant later. I'd just like a major break from them but I don't want them to be gone forever.

I see, that makes sense, thanks =)

MrPliskin

Banned
We can't all be brown like Resistance, buddy

Oh fucking hell, get a life ;)

I love color in my games. I don't like grunts, because their color and character are worlds separated from the rest of the tone set forth in Halo titles. They are out of place. Glad to see some uniformity, hopefully they don't sound like chipmunks in this one.

Zeal

Banned
The new elites and grunts are supposed to be using salvaged tech or something, like mercenaries or outlaws. That's why their equipment looks like it's thrown together from everything.

Also calling this right now: Cortana will escape rampancy by actually becoming human. It's clear to me from her art designs alone that this is the intention.

Why's he wearing a little helmet on his chest? :p

Im glad Im not the only one who sees that. :lol

Halo 4 looks amazing, but it will look worse than Reach in certain areas, just like Reach looked worse than Halo 3 in some areas, but overall blew it away.

34515-Full.jpg

No matter what magic they work, Halo 4 is still running on 2005 harware.
Man, that was like the one place Halo 3 looked good.. It seems Halo 4 may be able to bring both the stellar lighting from Halo 3 forward and mix it with a ton of other assets to make a fantastic looking game.

Oh, there's water.

Go on....

Was it noted that according to this screen, Halo 4 is set 3 years after Halo 3?

"Last contact with UNSC 3 years, 4 months, 30 days"
"Last contact with UNSC" does not necessary mean that it plays 3 years after Halo 3. Maybe they had contact with the UNSC and Cortana ignores it etc.

The new elites and grunts are supposed to be using salvaged tech or something, like mercenaries or outlaws. That's why their equipment looks like it's thrown together from everything.

Also calling this right now: Cortana will escape rampancy by actually becoming human. It's clear to me from her art designs alone that this is the intention.
Nope.

Frank has told us already that Cortana will not be taking the Pinocchio route.

So, uh, wow. Halo has graphics now. 343 > Bungle.

In all seriousness, I adored Bungie's games, but by Reach I was getting a bit burned out on the formula, so I'm glad to see 343 mixing things up a bit in terms of visual design and gameplay. Just about everything they've revealed to date has been welcome news.

As for the screens, the more I see of MC's new suit, the more I like it. The midsection and waist kinda bug me, with armor plates seemingly floating at random atop the undersuit, but overall, it's a nice step up from the Mk VI. Fucking oonsk-esque faces will haunt my dreams, though.

Cortana looks swell. She was a holographic naked blue chick in games 1-3, and she's, uh, still a holographic naked blue chick. Thumbs up, 343.

Not feeling the new-look Covies at all, but with their relatively minor role in the campaign it's not a big deal. Some BR rounds to the face might help with those ugly mugs, though...

Also, I want to see how those wonderfully atmospheric concept art environments translate to in-game visuals, particularly the expansive vistas with the Forerunner pillars. They'll look stunning, I bet.

Chinner

Banned
will rampancy actually mean something in this game? still abit scorned after all the cortana business in halo 3 led nowhere.

Because they're such an integral part of the halo universe, it would be remiss to omit them from all future games. I don't hate the covenant at all, I'm just very tired of them. I'd rather 343 crafted an entire new mythos to get lost in and incorporate the covenant later. I'd just like a major break from them but I don't want them to be gone forever.
Yeah and that's EXACTLY whats happening here. The first mission starts off by being attacked by a rogue sect of covenant and then you land on this new planet and find all the new environments/enemies/mysteries.

It would be completely dumb to just have a BLAST of new enemies right from the first mission. The covenant are a way for you to get your bearing in the first level and then continue from there as the actually story unfolds.

Your qualms about the covenant showing up in Halo 4 at the start instead of somewhere in Halo 5 or 6 are really strange.

Proelite

So, uh, wow. Halo has graphics now. 343 > Bungle.

In all seriousness, I adored Bungie's games, but by Reach I was getting a bit burned out on the formula, so I'm glad to see 343 mixing things up a bit in terms of visual design and gameplay. Just about everything they've revealed to date has been welcome news.

As for the screens, the more I see of MC's new suit, the more I like it. The midsection and waist kinda bug me, with armor plates seemingly floating at random atop the undersuit, but overall, it's a nice step up from the Mk VI. Fucking oonsk-esque faces will haunt my dreams, though.

Cortana looks swell. She was a holographic naked blue chick in games 1-3, and she's, uh, still a holographic naked blue chick. Thumbs up, 343.

Not feeling the new-look Covies at all, but with their relatively minor role in the campaign it's not a big deal. Some BR rounds to the face might help with those ugly mugs, though...

Also, I want to see how those wonderfully atmospheric concept art environments translate to in-game visuals, particularly the expansive vistas with the Forerunner pillars. They'll look stunning, I bet.

THIS. The belly section is easily the worst designed part of a Halo suit in the series. It looks fat flabs or some metal loin cloth.

I am also not a big fan of the shoulder pad, looks very out of place with the rest of the body armor.

I won't even get started on the Spartan IV helmets, because I think 343 made them fugly on purpose.

The legs and forearms on MC are perfect though. It's like they got the A team on the legs and forearms, B team on everything else, and interns on the Spart IV helmets.

Oh. The game focus on Cortana and Chief. And I think Frankie mentioned Cortana's rampancy in some interviews.
Wasn't she already supposed to be metastable though? I get that it was retconned with Origins or whatever, but how did they explain it?

I don't mind either which way, should highten the drama.

Wasn't she already supposed to be metastable though? I get that it was retconned with Origins or whatever, but how did they explain it?

I don't mind either which way, should highten the drama.

No, it was never established she's metastable yet. Though it's hinted it's a possibility it could happen.

THIS. The belly section is easily the worst designed part of a Halo suit in the series. It looks fat flabs or some metal loin cloth.

I am also not a big fan of the shoulder pad, looks very out of place with the rest of the body armor.

I won't even get started on the Spartan IV helmets, because I think 343 made them fugly on purpose.

The legs and forearms on MC are perfect though. It's like they got the A team on the legs and forearms, B team on everything else, and interns on the Spart IV helmets.

Heh, I like how MC went to the trouble to get armor plating for his fingers, while leaving much of the abdomen and sides of the torso vulnerable. He got the codpiece back, though, so his priorities are in line.

MP Spartans do look like shit, I agree. There better be rather extensive armor customization.

guek

Banned
Yeah and that's EXACTLY whats happening here. The first mission starts off by being attacked by a rogue sect of covenant and then you land on this new planet and find all the new environments/enemies/mysteries.

It would be completely dumb to just have a BLAST of new enemies right from the first mission. The covenant are a way for you to get your bearing in the first level and then continue from there as the actually story unfolds.

Your qualms about the covenant showing up in Halo 4 at the start instead of somewhere in Halo 5 or 6 are really strange.

It has more to do with how I would lay out a new story. I'm not saying I'm going to be upset if the covenant are in Halo 4, I just feel it's very important that they're not the central focus (which has already been confirmed).

I think they need to thematically distance themselves from previous halo games as much as possible. Halo 4, being the first of a second trilogy, needs to emphasize that it's a NEW Halo rather than being simply MORE halo. Every screenshot I've seen seems to be leaning towards this just being more of what we've already seen in the past, but that's to be expected at this point in time when story details are sparse. Personally I don't feel like they need to use the covenant in any way to start a new story. There are plenty of ways to set up a new story without them, and their absence would consequently make everything feel far more fresh. But that's just how I'd do things, it doesn't mean I'm automatically not going to still enjoy whatever they end up going with.

Meier

God damn at those graphics. I'm not a big Halo fan.. still haven't come anywhere near finishing Reach and didn't play the other one on the 360 but this looks incredible (at least from the graphical perspective).

Mooreberg

New graphics engine looks great. I like the look everything except for the Elite armor. Are the Covenant still going to be enemies in this or are they fighting along side you against something else? My knowledge of the fiction outside of the games is limited.

Gui_PT

New graphics engine looks great. I like the look everything except for the Elite armor. Are the Covenant still going to be enemies in this or are they fighting along side you against something else? My knowledge of the fiction outside of the games is limited.

Still enemies but not the main ones

Rumble19

Wow these screens look great. I'll believe it when I see it on my TV I guess, I have a hard time believing that my 360 can run this at an actual 720p and at a decent framerate. Hopefully 343 can prove me wrong.

Tzeentch

The new grunt and elite designs look terrible. Like BAD. These are just looking different to look different.

Go back to the Reach aesthetic on them. At least the game got THAT right.

Arrggghhh why are they putting the Covenant in this game? Their story is done. You don't need to put every single piece of iconic imagery from the previous games to sell people on the fact that this is a new Halo.

Top Bottom