• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Max Payne 3 Trailer & Screen Shots - 02/16

The noir aspect was the cherry on top for me in the previous games. Really, it was all about diving through the air while unloading dual pistols on every one in sight, with cheesy lines filling out the graphic novel segments. This will be great, whether or not it stays completely faithful to the tone of MP1 and 2.

Dipswitch

Looking good. Got that Rockstar high gloss sheen to it, so confidence is high that it'll be a solid product.

Campaign length will ultimately decide whether I spring for it or not at release.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So... Since Remedy's gone, and they're in Brazil.

What about some really terrible soap operas on the tvs instead of the fake twin peaks stuff from the original two?

I just finished the first Max Payne, having missed the series until now. I wasn't blown away by it, but it was fun enough. MP2 looks more interesting, and 3 looks pretty cool, too.

It does however create the atmosphere for the game.

Sequels shouldn't be the exact same as the previous games. Brazil is a cool change of setting for the game, and it's not like we're not going to see classic hair-and-coat Max in the game.

And yeah, it's still noir as all hell.

zkylon

zkylewd
Liked the first one better. The new trailer still looks awesome, but I prefer the classic MP theme with Max monologuing on voiceover rather than the classic Rockstar multiscene fast-cuts kind of trailer.

Kinyou

Let's see how noir it really is:

Wikipedia said:
Film noir is often described as essentially pessimistic.[168] The noir stories that are regarded as most characteristic tell of people trapped in unwanted situations (which, in general, they did not cause but are responsible for exacerbating), striving against random, uncaring fate, and frequently doomed.

Wikipedia said:
Crime, usually murder, is an element of almost all film noirs; in addition to standard-issue greed, jealousy is frequently the criminal motivation. A crime investigation—by a private eye, a police detective (sometimes acting alone), or a concerned amateur—is the most prevalent, but far from dominant, basic plot. In other common plots the protagonists are implicated in heists or con games, or in murderous conspiracies often involving adulterous affairs.

Wikipedia said:
Film noirs tend to have unusually convoluted story lines, frequently involving flashbacks and other editing techniques that disrupt and sometimes obscure the narrative sequence. Framing the entire primary narrative as a flashback is also a standard device. Voiceover narration, sometimes used as a structuring device, came to be seen as a noir hallmark; while classic noir is generally associated with first-person narration (i.e., by the protagonist),

Wikipedia said:
The low-key lighting schemes of many classic film noirs are associated with stark light/dark contrasts and dramatic shadow patterning—a style known as chiaroscuro (a term adopted from Renaissance painting).[c] The shadows of Venetian blinds or banister rods, cast upon an actor, a wall, or an entire set, are an iconic visual in noir and had already become a cliché well before the neo-noir era. Characters' faces may be partially or wholly obscured by darkness—a relative rarity in conventional Hollywood filmmaking.

Fjordson

That was a fantastic trailer. Between this music, and the stuff in the design videos, I'm absolutely loving the soundtrack. Most likely the third straight Rockstar game I'll have to get the OST for.

Voice acting is also great. Obviously Max, but I also think Branco sounds good for some reason. Really believable with the lines they've put in trailers so far.

Really can't wait for this.

I sure as hell better be in the game.
In Q&A article on their website someone asked if the tv shows would return from the first two games.

Answer: "Very possibly......."

Sort of surprised, but that sounds like they might be.

soultron

Banned
This game has a style and atmosphere to it until anything coming out this year, or in a while. So hype.

I bow down to the Rockstar marketing geniuses. Their trailers and pre-release stuff are just so hype. The RDR stuff was amazing. Really got me amped, moreso than any other pre-release push I've ever seen. Max Payne 3's push is doing the same thing.

Finally watched the trailer and it blows my mind that people were scared the story wouldn't be good. It looks awesome. Looks gritty as fuck.

EDIT: Give Kinyou and Blast Processing tags.

jgminto

Yes. YES. R* has done it again. Masters of extreme hype. Fantastic trailer. Brilliant Max narration, Noir plot, amazing looking action. I can't wait to play this next mont...
NOOOOOOOO!

The low-key lighting schemes of many classic film noirs are associated with stark light/dark contrasts and dramatic shadow patterning—a style known as chiaroscuro (a term adopted from Renaissance painting).[c] The shadows of Venetian blinds or banister rods, cast upon an actor, a wall, or an entire set, are an iconic visual in noir and had already become a cliché well before the neo-noir era. Characters' faces may be partially or wholly obscured by darkness—a relative rarity in conventional Hollywood filmmaking.

Even that box is being checked.

cMxnU.jpg

BadData

Looks pretty awesome. It always amazes me how crappy dancing animations look in games: especially this one, which is euphoria'd out the ass and has all this crazy amazing animation tech, and they *still* can't make dancing that doesn't look like mannequins pulled by pulleys.

Mr.Swag

Banned
I'm so ready for this. told myself I wouldn't get anymore collectors/limited editions, but I really want this one.

Ahhh,I'm broke. :(

demonicmurry

Neo Member
I think many of complaints are about this trailer not being noir enough. Am I wrong? Cause I have no huge qualms with the first trailer that was released.

Fjordson

To Simo or anyone else who may know:

They show Rodrigo Branco in this trailer, Fabiana's husband, but who is the other guy that's shown up in some of the footage? The Victor who's on the phone with Max. Is that Rodrigo's brother?

He was in the debut trailer I think. Saying "We've always been targets. We all know that."

Simo

To Simo or anyone else who may know:

They show Rodrigo Branco in this trailer, Fabiana's husband, but who is the other guy that's shown up in some of the footage? The Victor who's on the phone with Max. Is that Rodrigo's brother?

He was in the debut trailer I think. Saying "We've always been targets. We all know that."

Yeah that's Rodrigo's brother, Victor Branco, the politician. In the beginning when Victor answers the phone, the young guy behind him is also the younger Branco brother.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, I want the fucking soundtrack so bad after listening to the music from this trailer constantly. It's so perfect.

Fjordson

Yeah that's Rodrigo's brother, Victor Branco, the politician. In the beginning when Victor answers the phone, the young guy behind him is also the younger Branco brother.
Oh, nice. I really, really like the family aspect, making them a part of the story. Adds a bit more to the "rich guy loses trophy wife" foundation. And both Victor and Rodrigo seem to have quality voice acting.

What about the long-haired dude in the first trailer? Another brother?

Simo

Oh, nice. I really, really like the family aspect, making them a part of the story. Adds a bit more to the "rich guy loses trophy wife" foundation. And both Victor and Rodrigo seem to have quality voice acting.

What about the long-haired dude in the first trailer? Another brother?

Standing next to Victor and Rodrigo? Yeah the younger brother, not sure on his name but he was described as the "party-loving dropout" in EDGE back last year.

I really like that Max's skeleton is lifelike, no weird muscles stretching, the torso actually turns instead of stretching, joints move well and the shoulder blades seem to slide.

Top Bottom