• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Max Payne 3 Trailer & Screen Shots - 02/16

Oh man, could you imagine if that guy at the end of the trailer with the face obscured was
Vladimir Lem
? My head would explode at that twist.

Even if it's not possible.

Simo

Oh man, could you imagine if that guy at the end of the trailer with the face obscured was
Vladimir Lem
? My head would explode at that twist.

Even if it's not possible.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that! The voice sounds so a like but yeah I'm not sure how or if it could even happen...

squidyj

Even that box is being checked.

cMxnU.jpg

Ah yes, venetian blinds, where would noir be without them?

Looks like it's shaping up to be an awesome game. Can't wait.

So pumped by that trailer, it really clicked with me. The Max that gets lied to. Pushed around. Stepped on. Used. And then, after taking too much abuse he snaps and that old familiar feeling comes back. That feeling of him and the gun. The feeling that nothing else matters, except him and the gun. Love it.

Also, I really get the feeling that it's a similar set up to Man on Fire, but with Man on Fire, Denzel's character had a bond with the kidnapped girl. It was his link to life itself. His will to live. But with Max, it looks like he forcefully gives himself this mission to try and continue living. He tries to give his life purpose and this purpose is in the form of the spoiled bimbo of his boss, which probably doesn't even care about Max in the first place.

And if its true, I think its very revealing of how low Max is in his life that he would allow to lie to himself to try and give purpose to his life.

~Kinggi~

Banned
That was an incredible trailer. Did you guys also notice the supreme details in the city locations? It was so supreme GOT DAMN

Eh, significant story spoiler at the end? (don't highlight if you didn't notice ;) )

Basically they showed your "partner" aiming a revolver at you at the end (the one in the elevator) or maybe I misinterpreted it, though that line he says seems to point that way...

Yep

Rockstar gonna Rockstar

Simo

Where are the GIFs, people?!

Page Dennis!

I think I've watched the trailer a dozen times already including on the big screen with the sound setup...Very nice. The amount of detail is just nuts especially on the guns, I mean in that brief shot of Max firing the Benelli M4 shotgun you can see the mechanism chamber another shell accurately as the spent casing is ejected. Love it!

FYI Rockstar is doing a part 3 of their Max Payne 3 Q&A via Gamestop's Facebook page so if you've got any questions then post them in the comments. Myself, I asked about the music and Pedro Bromfman's involvement and if it's mostly his work we've heard so far including the new piece in the trailer.

SamuraiX-

So Max goes straight up collateral over his employer's wife getting kidnapped? I'm sure it's more involved than that, but as of right now, that premise is just really stupid.

And if R* kills off Max at the end, they can go fuck themselves.

Yeah, that trailer didn't really do much for me either. They should stick to the design & technology videos.

squidyj

So Max goes straight up collateral over his employer's wife getting kidnapped? I'm sure it's more involved than that, but as of right now, that premise is just really stupid.

Yeah, that trailer didn't really do much for me either. They should stick to the design & technology videos.

He talks about a retirement in some other media, and it looks like he's mostly just spending his time in sao paolo getting plastered. So it seems like he found/was set up with a job providing security as he runs away from his troubles in New York, drowning them in spirits, probably it's an easy job up until the wife gets kidnapped and then there's this whole new pile of shit on Max' head.

UrbanRats

I'd assume that, at that point, Max is already broken and is merely waiting for an excuse to break down and release anger and frustration through violence, on others.
The job may well be a way to create a strawman for all his problems, character-wise.

But no doubt there will be more to it.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst

This is what has me nervous.

The story trailers for LA Noire left me cold, but tech demos kept the hope alive. And then, well... you know.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'd assume that, at that point, Max is already broken and is merely waiting for an excuse to break down and release anger and frustration through violence, on others.
The job may well be a way to create a strawman for all his problems, character-wise.

But no doubt there will be more to it.
I think the kidnapping is just the surface. Noir typically has a lot of layers to the story. Max said he was tricked so maybe he doesn't have any good options at this point. Might as well take down the people that screwed him over in the first place.

The game can still go either way but Rockstar is getting really good at these 2 minute pieces. The camera angles, the music cues, the cuts, the narration... it's all put together like a professional movie trailer.

Simo

I think the kidnapping is just the surface. Noir typically has a lot of layers to the story. Max said he was tricked so maybe he doesn't have any good options at this point. Might as well take down the people that screwed him over in the first place.

Naturally, it wouldn't be a Max Payne game or Noir without some twists and turns and double crosses. This is the game's official synopsis:
For Max Payne, the tragedies that took his loved ones years ago are wounds that refuse to heal. No longer a cop, close to washed up and addicted to pain killers, Max takes a job in São Paulo, Brazil, protecting the family of wealthy real estate mogul Rodrigo Branco, in an effort to finally escape his troubled past.

When Rodrigo's wife, Fabiana, is kidnapped by members of the Comando Sombra gang while under Max's protection, all hell breaks loose and Max finds himself caught up in something much larger than a simple kidnapping.

As events spiral out of his control, Max Payne finds himself alone on the streets of an unfamiliar city, desperately searching for the truth and fighting for a way out.

Also somebody mentioned in the trailer announcement thread that Rockstar was, or had, done some more preview events for the press....well it's true and it was a hands-on demo that the outlets actually got to play including the PC version. PC Gamer will have their hands-on impression in their May issue that'll be on stands in March.

"she wanted to be hot and dangerous"
lol the story's prolly gonna be shit but whatever, comes with the territory. I like the music though and the gameplay looks ace.

Jtrizzy

that's kind of surprising that they are demoing the pc version, don't most people show 360? Hopefully that means it performs well unlike GTAIV.

Fjordson

Will be very interesting to see what the press says about how it plays. Hope it feels as good as it looks.

"she wanted to be hot and dangerous"
lol the story's prolly gonna be shit.
What makes you say that?

Surely people aren't forgetting that deliciously cheesy dialogue is a quintessential part of Max Payne.

FYI Rockstar is doing a part 3 of their Max Payne 3 Q&A via Gamestop's Facebook page so if you've got any questions then post them in the comments. Myself, I asked about the music and Pedro Bromfman's involvement and if it's mostly his work we've heard so far including the new piece in the trailer.
Nice. The music so far is fantastic.

I wonder if it's all him, or if he's working with someone. Third straight R* soundtrack for Woody Jackson perhaps?

I'll be honest this one didn't do much for me.

I think all of the videos have lost momentum in my hype meter ever since the first one.

Ah yes, venetian blinds, where would noir be without them?

I'm aware that venetian blinds are one of the more clicheed elements of what is considered noir, but so is the whole "narrating private dick/fallen cop walking around in a trenchcoat through rainy nights" thing that many people associate with noir, so we might as well count them too. :)

The game can still go either way but Rockstar is getting really good at these 2 minute pieces. The camera angles, the music cues, the cuts, the narration... it's all put together like a professional movie trailer.

Trailer editing and production is a proper challenge and skill. I think it's taken for granted, but the producers and cutters of the really damned good ones (like Rockstar trailers) deserve more credit than they get.

Trailer editing and production is a proper challenge and skill. I think it's taken for granted, but the producers and cutters of the really damned good ones (like Rockstar trailers) deserve more credit than they get.

I agree. Well-cut trailers are under-appreciated.

Why are people so focused on graphics?

This game is gonna be all about the over the top shootouts.

I personally think the graphics look great, especially with the physics and animations that they are using. Miles beyond RDR and GTA4 in my eyes.

Top Bottom