• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New OXM (US) Scores / Rumors (Gripshift fans am cry)

pswii60 said:
Next Ghost Recon game is at least a couple of years away. It won't be carrying the "Advanced Warfighter" title and won't feature an urban setting.

Bethesda's debut online offering will be a launch title for the next Xbox system.

Ubisoft is considering serious changes to Sam Fisher's latest adventure.

1. Sounds good for Ghost Recon. I'm sure next time its out i'll have a taste for it, and the forest like areas (basically what I am assuming the next game will have more of) or any other non urban areas should do well for the sequel. I'm expecting big graphical updates as well if its that many years away. Should be something to look forward to. I hope they put more aiming skill into the game myself.

2. Not much to say about this. Just give us a new Elder Scrolls already :p. I'm not to knowledgable about how many teams Bethesda has though. So not sure if its something thats in pre-production and will go into full scale once Fallout is done, or if they're already in the swing of things.

3. Serious changes? Well the series gotten enough, so I guess you mean serious changes to Conviction from what we've seen, which is what I figured to begin with due to them not showing any of it. Initially I thought it was simply a timing issue with all the great games out this fall, but to show absolutely nothing wasn't a good sign. I think that they want to find a good mixture of both styles. I think they probably realized this complete Jason Bourne type of gameplay wasn't what the core fanbase wanted, so I think they might try to delicate mix between both the oldschool style and this new style. Thats what I am hoping at least :(.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Mario's engine has to be clogged with dog parts by now...

360 owners, don't miss your chance on Gripshift. It's incredibly fun and one of my favorite games on PSN ever.

orio7

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
It would make absolutely no sense for Microsoft to release another console and ignore the Xbox brand.

It's not like Xbox is that big of a brand. A name change can do wonders, just look at the DS. MS don't need to change it but I do think MS have to at some point if they ever want to have a really successful console. I just don't see that many "non-gamers" buying something called Xbox.

gcubed

chubigans said:
Mario's engine has to be clogged with dog parts by now...

360 owners, don't miss your chance on Gripshift. It's incredibly fun and one of my favorite games on PSN ever.

has anyone seen it on the 360? I'm wondering what magic hey pulled to get it under the cap. Unless something drastic was taken out, no way in hell is it a 5.5

DanAmrich

Quazar said:
OXM rumors really don't hold well. In fact I can't recall one semi interesting rumor from OXM that came true.

OXM March 2007 said:
Who wouldn’t want to play Steve Vai’s electric-guitar version of the Halo MJOLNIR theme on Guitar Hero II ? Well, thanks to Marketplace, you might get your
chance.

Just sayin'.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Wait, what? why?

I think Microsoft will enter into a joint venture with Sony, and also focus on the GFW brand. Microsoft doesn't want to be in the games hardware industry, but it's a necessary measure in order to secure a place in the entertainment software and service market. So one of three things can happpen; MS can slog on with what they are doing, investing billions and potentially owning the market. But that'd leave Microsoft with the tasks of leading, supplying and furthering the software and hardware end of the industry, and contrary to the beliefs of some that's not a desirable position to be in. So then there is option two which is to keep this going until Sony feels threatened enough to accept a deal. Microsoft software and services on Sony hardware, and on PCs running Windows. This would leave the software giant to tend to its preferred market, and the hardware company doing what it does best, if grudgingly. The third option would be some kind of joint venture with another company, as in not Sony.

Lulz, why are we still mentioning OXM scores? It's long been known that their opinions are garbage, for quite a while now. I mean: Screwjumper over Gripshift and it's supposedly on the same level as N+? N+, the XBLA port to one of the best platformers out there? Yeah right... And that's far from the only example that proves that they're hardly credible when it comes to reviews.

traveler said:
When is N+ supposed to hit and does it have a level editor? Also: details on the review of it?
Should be available in the next few weeks, according to one of Microsoft's press releases.

And yes, it does have a level editor.

DeaconKnowledge said:
So what do you think will happen? Out of curiosity.

It's hard to say what the industry will be like in three years from now, but I just can't see Microsoft abandoning a brand name they have spent so much money and time on.

Draft

The wolf will lie down with the lamb?

Stranger things have happened.

My my, how things change. Too bad MS never got around to buying Nintendo so they could take on the PS2 :lol

Sharing the marketing costs is another big one, in addition to joint research. And with advertising costs both for development and ad space steadily going up, it's not like it's going to become less of an incentive. And of course, tech research costs would be controlled and determined by needs set by the joint entity as opposed to be competitive necessity, so yeah... scoff all you like, it's not that crazy.

dr_rus

Opus Angelorum said:
If that is accurate, then it pretty much confirms a release date of 2010 for the next offering from Microsoft.
Not really. Even if Fallout 3 will be released in 2008 then that leaves us with at least 3 years between TES4 (2005) and F3 (2008). So i'd say that 2011 at best for Bethesda's next project, possibly 2012 or even later considering that they've never done anything MMO before.

pswii60

orio7 said:
It's not like Xbox is that big of a brand. A name change can do wonders, just look at the DS. MS don't need to change it but I do think MS have to at some point if they ever want to have a really successful console. I just don't see that many "non-gamers" buying something called Xbox.

It's not called the DS, it's called the NINTENDO DS. Pretty big well-known family gaming brand, right there.

EDIT: And :lol at people who don't think there will be another Xbox. There will be. Of course, it wouldn't surprise me if they do invent a brand beyond just "Xbox" to help them out in some of Europe and Japan, where the brand has taken a battering.

YYZ

Sony should keep the PS3 alive until it's time to pre-empt the next next Xbox console. They should establish the base (Home, unified online service, more franchises, etc...) with the PS3, then move on, besides, the PS3 should be cheap by the time the next Xbox comes out like the PS2 was last year and before. Nintendo doesn't have to do much, they're printing money.

I hope the changes to Conviction don't mean scrapping the chair/printer/magazine rack throwing system! A mix of the trad gameplay with the new ideas would be fine.

Jenga

Banned
2010 next-gen sounds funny to me. it feels like this current gen just BARELY dropped that next-gen moniker

pswii60

Jenga said:
2010 next-gen sounds funny to me. it feels like this current gen just BARELY dropped that next-gen moniker

Well, 2010 is just pure speculation from a poster earlier in the thread. Personally I think MS will be readying for 2010 just in case. They will definitely want another head start. With perhaps a contingency plan to improve the console from a hardware power standpoint if they feel they can wait another year.

JeremyR

Bethesda isn't a big company, and work on an online game (presumably an Elder Scrolls game) would probably take at least 4 years for them, quite possibly more. Heck, it took 4 years between Morrowind (early '02) and Oblivion (which hit in early '06) and really, other than the graphics, there's not a huge difference in gameplay (some tweaks and the NPCs follow schedules).

C4Lukins

No way it happens in 2010. They may announce it that year, but I would guess 2011 at the earliest. The only way I see it happening in 2010 is if the PS3 just completely bombs, which I do not see happening, and they rush out the PS4.

Skull

Cool glad to hear that the next GR game will be moving away from the urban setting, while I loved GRAW/2 I felt that the multiplayer co-op was much truer to what ghost recon was than the single player, cause really, with Tom Clancy games its been Recon outdoor wilderness, Rainbow urban combat, and that is how it should be. Great news IMO

If MS releases in 2010 they'll join Nintendo on the 5 year release cycle. I suppose it depends how they're doing at that time as to whether they'll try for 6 years like the Playstation... at least it will be unlikely they'll still be selling the hardware at a loss like they were the original xbox.

PS1 - Dec 1994, PS2 - Mar 2000, PS3 - Nov 2006
N64 - Jun 1996, GC - Sep 2001, Wii - Nov 2006
XBX - Nov 2001, 360 - Nov 2005

Next time around will be the Xbox platform, but MS won`t be making the hardware, they will team up with manufacturers to make the boxes.

pswii60

The Innocent X said:
Next time around will be the Xbox platform, but MS won`t be making the hardware, they will team up with manufacturers to make the boxes.

Well, they're in bed with Toshiba for Zune and HD-DVD. Makes sense. MS will still design/co-design and definitely own the rights to the design, GPU/CPU though as they won't want another Nvidia shambles again.

I wonder if next time around both Sony and MS will follow Nintendo's plan with the Wii and just tweak the platforms they have this generation? For example, with the 720 MS would implement enough edram for a 1080 image without the need for tiling, 256bit memory bus, 1gb memory, HD DVD (or blu-ray, whatever wins I guess) two Xenos, two Xenon (with stronger branch prediction units), higher clockspeeds on both etc. do enough to ensure there is enough horsepower to keep every game at 1080p/AA. Retain total BC and also keep Live as is for both systems. They'd probably be able to keep the machine at a nice price entry point, as well as giving developers an easier ramp up time and allow consumers to make an easier cross-over to next-gen.

sinnergy

I kinda agree with he Gripshift score ( I would have given it a 6.5), played it on PS3, it's a decent game.. nothing more.

I wonder if next time around both Sony and MS will follow Nintendo's plan with the Wii and just tweak the platforms they have this generation? For example, with the 720 MS would implement enough edram for a 1080 image without the need for tiling, 256bit memory bus, 1gb memory, HD DVD (or blu-ray, whatever wins I guess) two Xenos, two Xenon (with stronger branch prediction units), higher clockspeeds on both etc. do enough to ensure there is enough horsepower to keep every game at 1080p/AA. Retain total BC and also keep Live as is for both systems. They'd probably be able to keep the machine at a nice price entry point, as well as giving developers an easier ramp up time and allow consumers to make an easier cross-over to next-gen.

Would make sense, but be a bit boring.

However, MS are looking to make some money this gen - whilst I've no doubt they are working on a sucessor, they'll be in no rush to hit 2010 IMHO:-

1. No chance of a PS4 before 2011 at the absolute earliest, even if PS3 continues to bomb.
2. 360 should be profitable by then - profit on consoles sold + royalties avoids the rush.
3. In 2010, 360 should easily be under $199, it should be nearer $99. This just means more sales, more software and less necessity to push a new console.
4. 3rd parties are onboard with 360 due to the great software sales, and won't be in a hurry to move to even more expensive-unknown-console learning-curve games. Especially with the Wii around dsirupting things.
5. No Nvidia deal anchor weighing the platform down. Xbox was abandoned for mainly that reason (along with getting the head start)

Of course, things can always change dramatically, and things in 2010 may be very different, however MS went with a gamble to get a head start by terminating the Xbox - and all other things being equal in a 5 year cycle, the 720 would still be before the Wii2 and the PS4.

Ms could very well be happy to wait until 2011 and launch alongside Wii2, assuming that PS4 would be later.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
MicVlaD said:
Lulz, why are we still mentioning OXM scores? It's long been known that their opinions are garbage, for quite a while now. I mean: Screwjumper over Gripshift and it's supposedly on the same level as N+? N+, the XBLA port to one of the best platformers out there? Yeah right... And that's far from the only example that proves that they're hardly credible when it comes to reviews.
Whatever their review history, the trend with Gripshift scores is disturbingly consistent in lowballing the game.

pswii60

Nobody has yet factored in the possibility for an Xbox 360 Lite/Slim.

The PSOne and PSTwo seriously helped the legs of the PSX and PS2 formats. While I'm sure MS won't be wanting to add any more SKUs to the equation any time soon, it is inevitable that it will happen at some point this gen.

kaching said:
Whatever their review history, the trend with Gripshift scores is disturbingly consistent in lowballing the game.

The nearer you get to a retail-quality game, the more fussy reviewers get.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
pswii60 said:
The nearer you get to a retail-quality game, the more fussy reviewers get.
Heh, I don't think that's it, given the fact this has been a problem since the game's inception as a retail-quality game on the PSP.

pswii60

kaching said:
Heh, I don't think that's it, given the fact this has been a problem since the game's inception as a retail-quality game on the PSP.

Yes, but at a full PSP retail price I can understand the reviewers looking down on the game, but for the likely 800 points? Or $9.99 it is on PSN?

Borys said:
So in 26 days there will be only two years till the next Xbox?

Sounds way, way too early.

No, it's just some idle speculation. But if the next Xbox was to release December 2010 (the most likely time of year), that would be 3 years from now.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
pswii60 said:
Yes, but at a full PSP retail price I can understand the reviewers looking down on the game, but for the likely 800 points? Or $9.99 it is on PSN?
At the time of it's release, there was nothing quite like it on the PSP in terms of the overall package, and it's still a rare beast: It was nearly perfect combination of pick-up-and-play action finely tuned to the hardware (solid graphics and framerate, short loadtimes, instant level restart), replayability and longevity thanks to the genuinely challenging levels in the higher difficulties AS WELL AS a frickin' uber-flexible, user-friendly track editor whose creations could be shared with other Gripshift owners. That package, minus the track editor, still puts to shame a number of games being offered at the same prices on either of the digital shops.

aku:jiki

MicVlaD said:
They're reviewed by a man who's too slow to hide his gamerscore, and also too lazy to even do things like beat the first level in Sonic. It takes 35-60 seconds and the man hasn't even bothered yet.

The man is clearly an XBLA afficionado that should be reviewing these games, and can do so with great knowledge and clarity of vision.

pswii60

aku:jiki said:
They're reviewed by a man who's too slow to hide his gamerscore, and also too lazy to even do things like beat the first level in Sonic. It takes 35-60 seconds and the man hasn't even bothered yet.

The man is clearly an XBLA afficionado that should be reviewing these games, and can do so with great knowledge and clarity of vision.

Being a specific XBLA game reviewer should be a fun and rewarding job.

pswii60 said:
Sony have said many times that their 10 year plan doesn't mean a 10 year cycle. It just means that they plan to support the console for 10 years. Not too dissimilar to their continued support for PS2.

Sega supported Dreamcast until last spring, so that's 8.5 years. Famicom was supported ~23 years. So I can see that.

As soon as the next gen consoles feel like they have hit a time where the technology has risen enough, then sure, i'll be ready for a new console. I don't mind if its in 5 years, or 4 years or w/e. Just so long as the new technology justifies the jump. It needs to be a significant jump.

Dark FaZe said:
As soon as the next gen consoles feel like they have hit a time where the technology has risen enough, then sure, i'll be ready for a new console. I don't mind if its in 5 years, or 4 years or w/e. Just so long as the new technology justifies the jump. It needs to be a significant jump.

Remember how Half-Life 2 was absolute shit on the Xbox compared to the PC, even though the Xbox was only running it in 640x480?

We'll be back to that place in a year or two.

If a new xbox was coming out in the next 2 years I would skip buying one at launch for a while, would be pointless for a while.

Top Bottom