• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New pic of Pennywise from "IT" (2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadlast

Luckily the original version still exists.
This whole remake generation sucks. I know that is a broad stroke, but I feel it is just.

Arkanius

Will this remake include that beautiful creepy passagem from the book in the sewers with the children?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

You cant bury the Curry

really disappointing though. I echo those saying this couldve been the horror movie of the decade if they nailed it

CDV13

Is it not just the lighting and angle of his face here? He looks like a normal clown, the picture may be "try hard" as stated before here, but the colors are clearly muted.

Foggy

It might make sense historically, but visually there's too much "poofiness" to the sleeves and the skirt thing. Just doesnt't do it for me.

That said. It's a promo image. There's no need to read any more into it. If the internet was around for a Tim Curry promo shot people would be making fun of his Hammer pants.

It's hard to get creeped out by a kid dressed as a clown.

LOL, speak for yourself

i figured it out y'all

maxresdefault.jpg

Dirca

In the book he's described looking like Bozo. He's not supposed to look scary. He's only a clown briefly. He's going to be like Freddy Krueger and cracking 1 liners, isnt he...

Khoryos

Was the original film any good?

I've read the book, which was fucked up, but I can't see a film from the... 70s? 80s? getting some of that stuff right.

(And I don't even mean the gangbang, I mean the metaphysics and shit)

missed opportunity

I've read the book, which was fucked up, but I can't see a film from the... 70s? 80s? getting some of that stuff right.

The original "film" wasnt a movie. it was a tv miniseries from 1990 that ran for 187 minutes and spread over 2 nights to show the whole thing.

It was fine, but kind of confusing for me since I was fairly young when it first broadcast, and didn't bother really watching it again due to the length.

I actually like the costume. It's just the face/sneering that I find too try-hard at this point. Still, I'm curious. Maybe he'll only look this ominous in press photos and during the film he'll modulate between looking more happy-go-lucky and evil.

Mostly regarded as a so-so film overall, but with a great, iconic performance by Curry.

teiresias

Even freaking Pennywise having to wear skinny fit.

Besides that, isn't IT supposed to take forms based on fears? Why would there be a ton of costuming influences from bygone eras that the kids wouldn't recognize? Just seems tone deaf to the material and lore

KISS ME, FAT BOY!

It looks...eh. I thought the appeal of Pennywise was that he was pretty much a normal clown when it came to the appearance he took on. Which was scary enough, especially when he grew those sharp teeth. I don't really like them forcing the terrifying clown look. How will that scene where he kills the little kid in the beginning even work when he looks like that?

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
The miniseries was awful, and so far this one looks worse.

I think I will stick with the book.

They're trying too hard. The genius of the original Pennywise was how plain and ordinary he looked. He could be any clown at any kids birthday party.

hqdefaultn4sx5.jpg

That's why it was scary as fuck.

Agreed, I'm disappointed in this design, its very try hard. Pennywise was a clown that fit in with everyday clowns which made him all the more disturbing.

Matty77

Nope it was shit, but a lot of people saw it when they were young and Curry gave a master performance so now it's sacred or something. My biggest hope is that unlike the miniseries this actually has a lot less clown like the book and more of everything else good ol Bobby Gray does.

If someone was able to lighten up the photo in PS and photoshop a "normal," happy clown face over the current one the new design would look a thousand times better.

Clowns are already considered creepy to so many people. Having it look outwardly overly-cheerful is creepier than any evil smile someone could do.

Nope it was shit, but a lot of people saw it when they were young and Curry gave a master performance so now it's sacred or something. My biggest hope is that unlike the miniseries this actually has a lot less clown like the book and more of everything else good ol Bobby Gray does.

Most people don't think the film is sacred. They just want a Pennywise performance that'll at least rival Curry's. And while this could certainly be it, it's not selling anyone through its still photos so far.

And, I saw the film for the first time like a year ago when I was 29. The performance is legit, even if the film has its issues.

pestul

It's a bad look on that cover, but I think it's just a case of 'make the most evil look you can do' photo. I think it will look fine without that stupid evil grin. IT is scarier the innocent he looks tbh.

Dirca

Ive been screaming the same thing since the movie was announced. The book was so much less clown and so much more kids

EGM1966

Sorry but I'm in the "he's supposed to look friendly until it lures you close" camp. Now maybe they're showing him after he's turning nasty but I doubt it. I figure they've gone: it's a monster so has to look monstrous when in disguise too which really, really misses the point that looking like a clown is the disguise.

I do kind of like the cracks on head hinting at something within but again those should appear as a transformation when it start's dropping it's disguise.

SDCowboy

Even freaking Pennywise having to wear skinny fit.

Besides that, isn't IT supposed to take forms based on fears? Why would there be a ton of costuming influences from bygone eras that the kids wouldn't recognize? Just seems tone deaf to the material and lore

Exactly. WTF is up with his clothes in the remake?

judhudson

Hmm, its wayyyyy too early to be thinking about this...but seeing as reboots generally don't do well in terms of budgets, I wonder if this does bad, if we'll see the 2nd part with the adults. Is the filming happening back-to-back for this?

Being horror though, it probably has a low budget so we won't have to worry about that, but the thought does come across my mind.

Awful proportions that make it look ready for Sunday School, joke status confirmed. Between this, the creative team responsible, and the decision to be a two parter it's all so easy to avoid!

spookyfish

Great, Generic Monster Clown, exactly what I did NOT want it be to be.

Yeah, this is about as scary as a papercut.

Actors/movies today think you have to LOOK the part. Menace and threat is in the way you act, not how you look. The first "IT" had lots of problems, but Curry showed how to be menacing even without the pointy teeth and eyes.

I hate to say it, because it's so overused, but "tryhard" comes to mind. (Especially after Suicide Squad.)

Herne

ITT everyone says the same thing over and over. It's fairly obvious they'd go with darker images for the promos, so that those who know nothing of the book or miniseries understand that this is a horror.

Wait until we see the film itself. I suspect the trailers will also play up the dark side of it - though who knows, they may show him acting like a normal clown before showing the horror. But it's perfectly reasonable to me that they'd go with your generic evil clown for the promos.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
ITT everyone says the same thing over and over. It's fairly obvious they'd go with darker images for the promos, so that those who know nothing of the book or miniseries understand that this is a horror.

Wait until we see the film itself. I suspect the trailers will also play up the dark side of it - though who knows, they may show him acting like a normal clown before showing the horror. But it's perfectly reasonable to me that they'd go with your generic evil clown for the promos.

The point is it isn't very scary despite the design trying its hardest. I've seen scarier Juggalos.

Matty77

Remember "Billy" the psychotic bully that tormented the Losers? I sure don't. Why change Henry's name??

http://movieweb.com/stephen-king-it-movie-remake-finn-wolfhard-set-photos/
Yeah that's stupid, on the other hand 29 neibolt so maybe we get the basement scene, the werewolf, and if we are really lucky Bobby giving blowjobs for a dime.

And, I saw the film for the first time like a year ago when I was 29. The performance is legit, even if the film has its issues.
Trust me I agree Curry was great, my argument is that in the book Pennywise was not as an important part of Gray's fear wearing and other than Georgie usually only showed up in crowds, mob violence, or other places where he was dealing with more than one person, it was a public face but thanks to that miniseries everyone thinks the clown "is" IT and that's really not true.

Pilgrimzero

Modern horror. Film will be full of jump scares and quick cuts too.

The reason Currys Pennywise worked so well is because he didn't look sinister.... Before he killed you.

This is just another Monster in the dark waiting to jump out and grab you.

Herne

The point is it isn't very scary despite the design trying its hardest. I've seen scarier Juggalos.

Sure, it does look very generic and therefore not scary (still not something you'd want to encounter at night as a certain prank channel on YouTube shows) but the clown may only play as small a part as it does in the book, even given what Curry's performance has done for that aspect of the creature. It's the most recognisable form of IT.

I'll withhold judgement until I see the film.

kavanf1

Oh man...this looks even more tryhard than Leto's Joker make-up. Completely the wrong approach. The whole idea was that Pennywise lured kids in by looking like a normal clown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom