• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PlayStation Platinum Wireless Headset

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Can someone help an audio noob out actually. So I have the seinheiser hd598s. Will those do 3d audio with psvr?

vin-buc

it sounds bad on the golds. its not necessarily bad in general. but if it doesn't bother you... :shrugs:

I'm not the audiophile but I actually like the way vss sounds on the Golds (as opposed to off). It tries to give the sound more air/space.

I hope these are good.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
The mic stopped working in my Gold (like hella fast) so I don't know if I can return to their headsets. Loved it till it crapped out though.

Alboreo

I have the Silver (bought on Amazon on sale for ~$15) and the Gold (got from a friend who moved away for free) Headsets and am quite fond of the Gold in particular, although somehow the Silver feels better to me. Not sure how I feel about this, as it looks about as comfy, or less so, than the Gold. That's a pretty big deal to me, as headphones often hurt the sides of my head by pushing my glasses into my skin. May not bite on this one, honestly, unless the price point is just amazing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Seriously, the Sony designs are guaranteed to snap because of the plastic. The only reason to buy these is if you can find them for cheap, because you will be replacing them.

It's the headphone equivalent of the RROD and I can't believe they still haven't changed the design.

hao chi

I'll stick with my Sennheiser headset. While I liked my Gold headset, it eventually cracked despite me being exceedingly careful with it, and I have no faith in the Platinum headset to be better in that regard.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Ah shit. Forgot about the new A50's. What kind of improvements can we expect? No websites seem to have any comparisons.

Yep. Pro has optical though!

they are uglier imo lol

Astro has updated its A50 gaming headset. Aesthetically, the latest version looks very similar to the last. The main difference between the two is that the A50 comes with mod kits ($50 each), allowing you to switch out core pieces of the headset. Astro said it also took everything it learned from last year’s A40 TR launch and applied it to the new A50, meaning both now share the same digital platform.

The A50 works with Astro's Command Center software, so you can adjust inputs, outputs, noise gate, side tone, microphone levels, chat audio, Aux channels, custom EQ profiles, and more. The headset comes with three preloaded EQ settings to boot. Also, not only does the A50 have a fully customisable audio experience, but it has a new wireless charging base. It acts as both a display stand and charging dock for the headset.

The bolded is the only thing that really has my attention. The existing A50s have always sounded super bass heavy to me. Being able to tone that down with EQ adjustments would be create. No to mention the mic related stuff. My old A50s had that stupid buzzing whenever the noise gate engaged during mic use.

$159 US? They better be incredible for that price.

If its the same old 40mm drivers and proprietary 7.1 virtualization, there's no way I would pay that much.

It would need to have larger drivers, DTS headphone X and/or dolby 7.1, and a quality mic. It will probably just end up being a "new" gold wireless.

RedAssedApe

Banned
$159 US? They better be incredible for that price.

If its the same old 40mm drivers and proprietary 7.1 virtualization, there's no way I would pay that much.

It would need to have larger drivers, DTS headphone X and/or dolby 7.1, and a quality mic. It will probably just end up being a "new" gold wireless.

having dts or dolby would already be a big improvement in my eyes. i used the golds as a wired headset plugged into a mixamp doing dolby headphone and it sounded much better than the sony vss. i don't know anything about sony 3d sie or whatever they call it though

i don't know what they could do to justify the $50 price hike if there aren't any improvements. there look like there are more buttons on the cans? lol

Yea, for $150 there's significantly better buys. Also the build quality is known to be poor on Sony headsets, so I'd recommend passing.

band looks different so maybe there's hope they're improved

the ease with which the gold's band cracks though are a pos tho. not even one year old, never dropped, and mine have a half dozen cracks just from general use.

vin-buc

Ah shit. Forgot about the new A50's. What kind of improvements can we expect? No websites seem to have any comparisons.

Yep. Pro has optical though!

Didn't know you were coping the Pro, baller! Yea you'll be straight with the A50s. That price tag for a headset is just too high for me though. They're $300. As for me - I enjoy the simplicity of the Sony PS wireless headsets. Had the Elite's, and 2 Golds. All bough for low prices. No regrets.

Just as a FYI - the A50's are known to have a "hiss" in the cup with the mic. Not sure if that's been fixed with this new set.

I was in when I saw the thread name, and super in when I saw the metal band on the top. Then my eyes drifted down and... hinges... again. Fuck hinges. Never again after Gold headset.

gypsygib

Very excited about this.

I'm constantly surprised by how good the Gold's sound for the price. They compete (somewhat) with headphones triple their price and they're wireless.

Very excited about this.

I'm constantly surprised by how good the Gold's sound for the price. They compete (somewhat) with headphones triple their price and they're wireless.

Yea the golds can't even touch the sound quality of the Sennhesier HD 598's or Momentums or the Audio Technica ATH-M50x's, Sony's own MDR-7506's. Just some examples. As for headset's the Kingston Clouds have a better sound profile and the new revolvers are even better. If you absolute need wireless sure, but for sound quality somehow out of its class or competing with headphones 3x the cost? No way.

RedAssedApe

Banned
the hinges look a little better from this side shot

headset-e1473291594602.jpg

mf.luder

Hopefully this thing holds more than 1 preset. That is very annoying about the golds. Maybe I should gorilla glue my pulse elites.

vin-buc

the hinges look a little better from this side shot

I think the finish looks a little better all around. The ear cups certainly look more robust. And the band under the metal looks good. The blue wrapping on my Golds was coming off exposing the yellow foam. I split the top apart and tucked in the blue material and reclipped it.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Virtual surround is such an awful thing I'm surprised people still fall for it.

Nah. It's actually pretty good especially when you consider cost.

I have all sorts of surround sound options in my home, but I often go with my PlayStation Gold headsets because of convenienxe. And while no, it is not as great as other options, it's still good, and I am still perfectly able to discern the location of sounds in the games, which is much of the point.

SwordOfWar

Neo Member
They definitely look like an improvement over the Gold version. I hate using Virtual Surround for listening to something like music, because it often makes things sound distorted/hollow, but for multiplayer gaming (like FPS) it helps you hear the direction of where incoming footsteps or bullets are coming from, which is useful. The 3d Audio will likely improve awareness of where sounds are coming from, which is a good combination if you plan to get the PS VR headset.

Now I wouldn't buy these over third party headsets if you plan to mainly use them outside of PlayStation gaming, but if you're buying them to be mostly used on the PlayStation they have a few advantages, like having direct button controls for general volume, as well as prioritizing game or party chat volume over one another. They also have the benefit of offering a complete wireless solution on the PlayStation, where most third party headsets, even ones that support a wireless solution, require you to plug in a cable to the PS4 controller to get party chat to work. Also the on-screen battery and status indicators integrated in the PS4 menu is a nice touch. Not having any wires at all is a big plus for me, as pets or chair wheels won't kill your cables, and you can easily get up for a snack or go to the bathroom without any wires getting in the way.

I personally think the price is a bit high, but overall with considering the tight integration with the PS4, these are the best you can buy right now.

While I haven't broke the gold headset I've had for a few years now, I do have a corsair headset that is notorious for breaking, and a generous application of gorilla glue, while not pretty, has done the trick for years on that headset and still going strong, even after being dropped several times.

My only major complaint about the Gold headset is that the cup insulation is so narrow that the speaker sometimes can rest directly against the ear, causing discomfort after a period of time, and my ears are not even that larger or protruding. Hopefully, if anything, there is more space in the cups of this Platinum design.

Fisty

Finally, been waiting on this. Been looking to retire the OG Wireless Stereo headset I got back in like 2012.

sector4

I bought my Golds around the time Trials Fusion came out and they've been awesome. The hinges are fine on mine, but I know a lot of people have had theirs crack.

I'd possibly be in for an improved version of the Golds, but these are 3x the price of the Gold in Australia... So they'd have to be pretty special, or on a hell of a sale for me to bite while my Golds are still good.

oSoLucky

I bought my Golds around the time Trials Fusion came out and they've been awesome. The hinges are fine on mine, but I know a lot of people have had theirs crack.

I'd possibly be in for an improved version of the Golds, but these are 3x the price of the Gold in Australia... So they'd have to be pretty special, or on a hell of a sale for me to bite while my Golds are still good.

The Golds have been on sale plenty of times for $50-70 in the US too. I like some of the sound profiles that you can upload to them, but for this price I would likely go with a different set.

RedAssedApe

Banned
A few more shots:

https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/07...es-too/#gallery=428339&slide=4051560&index=10

Not that photos mean anything but the hinges that fold the headset makes me feel a little better about these possibly being less prone to breakage from regular use.

- vss/3d audio button on the cup (eww vss...hope its something better than whats on the golds since this seems to be getting advertised for psvr)
- 50mm drivers
- that wireless dongle seems kind of fat. that back usb port will be useful lol

Hopefully this thing holds more than 1 preset. That is very annoying about the golds. Maybe I should gorilla glue my pulse elites.
You should, I had to glue my Pulse and bought a Gold and I still prefer the Pulse specially since it has better range (I use the Pulse when I clean my apartment, with Gold I can barely get apart from my PS4).

Top Bottom