• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PlayStation Platinum Wireless Headset

RedAssedApe

Banned
the delayed launch is weird. completely missing the holidays. ended up getting the new astros but hope these come out before the return period runs out on them so i can a and b them.

Fisty

the delayed launch is weird. completely missing the holidays. ended up getting the new astros but hope these come out before the return period runs out on them so i can a and b them.

The fact that it's headphones and not really software dependant makes me worried it might be a manufacturing issue. I'm glad they used some metal for the headband but I'm hoping the metal/plastic combo isn't prone to failure. Then again they might have just delayed because they launched too much hardware in the past 60 days

Brock2621

Yep they were showing them off at PSX
behind a sealed glass case, bastards

They look really good, very high end. That's my impression from PSX lol. It just pisses me off that these are probably just sitting in a warehouse waiting for the arbitrarily delayed launch.

Yeah I don't get losing a synced launch with VR considering spatial audio is such a big selling point to convincing immersion. On top of that, it's 96 hours after Christmas!? Who launches products the week after Christmas besides fitness industry?

I was really hoping for SOME type of impressions from someone comparing them to stock PSVR earbuds or gold sets.

Alas... I'll keep my preorder and hope for the best.

Yep they were showing them off at PSX
behind a sealed glass case, bastards

They look really good, very high end. That's my impression from PSX lol. It just pisses me off that these are probably just sitting in a warehouse waiting for the arbitrarily delayed launch.

Ummmm...they were using them on the couches for the PS4 Pro Demos. Every station for the Pro had one you could use and handle except for the one where the guy was showing off Horizon's 4k and HDR features.

Not bad at all and seems to improve on the Golds based on my quick handling of it. Hard to say on audio quality since the place was loud as it is, but seemed pretty good.

Brock2621

Ummmm...they were using them on the couches for the PS4 Pro Demos. Every station for the Pro had one you could use and handle except for the one where the guy was showing off Horizon's 4k and HDR features.

Not bad at all and seems to improve on the Golds based on my quick handling of it. Hard to say on audio quality since the place was loud as it is, but seemed pretty good.

Oh sweet! Well that's generally positive, thankya sir!

Joqu

I've had three Golds break on me within months and I can assure you I took care of them. The third one they refused to replace within warranty because surely it was on me at that point. Well, I have a big head but I don't think that's a valid cause. Those damn hinges man. Still salty about that.

But it was so comfortable. I really shouldn't be at this point but if these appear to be more durable I think I'll consider getting a pair... It'd be tempting.

Fisty

Hmm all the demo stations I saw had corded Golds, I didn't go to the couches except for the Horizon 4K demo. Must have missed it, cheers

My only complaint with the regular gold headset is that the audio drops irregularly. I think it's because I keep the router and other consoles nearby.

Really don't understand how people break these. I've had them for 2 years, my kid has grabbed them to play with, no issues.

My only complaint with the regular gold headset is that the audio drops irregularly. I think it's because I keep the router and other consoles nearby.

Really don't understand how people break these. I've had them for 2 years, my kid has grabbed them to play with, no issues.

I havent had issues with the hinges since I try keeping the headphones open and not folded.However the issue I had was the band that goes over your head cracked down the middle and being able to see the inner cushion on the ear pads.Hands down though best headphones Ive owned.Hell I keep using mine even with tape holding them together cause they're comfy as hell and sound fantastic.

On a side not I have a pair of Pulses that I havent used in forever might just sell them.

Hmm all the demo stations I saw had corded Golds, I didn't go to the couches except for the Horizon 4K demo. Must have missed it, cheers

Yeah, the Pro Demos with the couches had the Platinums, not the Golds.

They felt sturdier than the Golds with the metal band. The hinges seem much better, but time will tell.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Yeah, the Pro Demos with the couches had the Platinums, not the Golds.

They felt sturdier than the Golds with the metal band. The hinges seem much better, but time will tell.

probably hard to tell if it was noisy but any impressions on the vss? same as the golds where if you flipped it on it killed the bass?

gypsygib

Virtual surround sound is unnecessary. More devs just need to use 3d binaural sounds. It's much more effective.

Never understood why sound takes such a backstage to graphics and even music. It's the one thing that can mimic real life almost perfectly and does so much for immersion when done well.

I remember when the BF3 preview came out and everyone was talking about the graphics. I was more impressed with how the sound made it feel like you were on the battlefield more than anything.

vin-buc

I havent had issues with the hinges since I try keeping the headphones open and not folded.However the issue I had was the band that goes over your head cracked down the middle and being able to see the inner cushion on the ear pads.Hands down though best headphones Ive owned.Hell I keep using mine even with tape holding them together cause they're comfy as hell and sound fantastic.

On a side not I have a pair of Pulses that I havent used in forever might just sell them.

There is a very easy fix. I had that happen on mine as well. The band actually has a "snappy" plastic that goes all the way across the head band on its underside. Once you manage to un-snap it across - you can tuck the blue plastic material back underneath and re-snap the bottom into place catching the plastic underneath.

I hate these types of headsets, what was wrong with the official PS3 BT headset type? I prefer that as I don't like wearing large headsets while I play. I wish Sony would make those compatible or at least make a new one with a similar design.

KodaRuss

I have been kicking around the idea of getting one of these at some point. Ill wait for impressions and such after it releases though.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I hate these types of headsets, what was wrong with the official PS3 BT headset type? I prefer that as I don't like wearing large headsets while I play. I wish Sony would make those compatible or at least make a new one with a similar design.

what headset are you talking about? i never really played online on ps3 but from what i can recall, the official headset was just for chat and not game audio

January.

I'll wait a few months to hear if they crack. Thanks brave earlier adopters.
I'll probably get some.... despite my golds cracking to shit (without ever having dropped them) in barely 1 year :/ mostly because despite the cracks, they still actually held together and didn't really lose any structure integrity or tightness, and the sound quality still seemed pretty good for the price. I probably wouldn't buy them again as my primary headphones but I already kinda shell out for my office/work/PC headphones so I figure the Golds (or these Plats) are a good second pair to keep upstairs at home by the TV).

Will make sure to post an update in the spring or summer or something haha if they're still holding up.

ViciousDS

Banned
My cousin super glued his golds lol. Work like a champ!

Would also like to hear impressions if they crack just as easily

Dranakin

Kinda upsets me that they recently updated the headphone companion app to include the Platinum headset, but doesn't update any game sound profiles for the Pulse Elite. Still have WD1 listed, but all the other headsets have the WD2 profile (among others).

Tiduz

Eurogaime
my golds broke too last week, just purchased the official stereo in ear ps4 headset.

461367_scr1_a.png

itll prob be alot shitter but atleast it cant break that easily

my golds broke too last week, just purchased the official stereo in ear ps4 headset.

461367_scr1_a.png

itll prob be alot shitter but atleast it cant break that easily

I didn't even know this was a thing that existed. I see the URL is EU based, maybe it's just not in NA. For earbuds, I think those look aesthetically nice, and having that inline power and volume control seems awesome. Don't see anything that looks like a mic mute, though, which is a shame.

Hope they turn out well for your sake... And kind of hope I get an opportunity to try a pair over here in the States. Could just import, I suppose...

Tiduz

Eurogaime
I didn't even know this was a thing that existed. I see the URL is EU based, maybe it's just not in NA. For earbuds, I think those look aesthetically nice, and having that inline power and volume control seems awesome. Don't see anything that looks like a mic mute, though, which is a shame.

Hope they turn out well for your sake... And kind of hope I get an opportunity to try a pair over here in the States. Could just import, I suppose...

it has mic mute and noise cancelling :)

i dont think it ever came out in the USA tho, normally they were 90 euros but they go for 50 now so i bit the bullet.

Catdaddy

Fuck Sony headsets, my 2nd pair of Golds snapped cause I took them off to answer a phone call. I wasnt violent I took then off and it just dangled there... The fucking "hinge" is a piece of shit and snaps fot no reason...I was able to fix it with duct tape but NOT AN EXCUSE for a shit product... Will the plat be better ...fuck them if it is..... I'll buy a better headset or settle for nothing at all... fuck you you sony....

My anger is only directed at a Sony...I mean cmon...those hinges should not break...

Memnoch

Fuck Sony headsets, my 2nd pair of Golds snapped cause I took them off to answer a phone call. I wasnt violent I took then off and it just dangled there... The fucking "hinge" is a piece of shit and snaps fot no reason...I was able to fix it with duct tape but NOT AN EXCUSE for a shit product... Will the plat be better ...fuck them if it is..... I'll buy a better headset or settle for nothing at all... fuck you you sony....

My anger is only directed at a Sony...I mean cmon...those hinges should not break...
yes I'm on my third set because they are built so poorly. Absolute garbage construction.

what headset are you talking about? i never really played online on ps3 but from what i can recall, the official headset was just for chat and not game audio
Sure, that's what I mean. I want something like that, as I have a surround system and all I need is a comfy/wireless mic/in-ear piece to chat with my friends as I play co-op or whatnot.

For reference:

UiAsxpN.jpg

Is there anything like that for PS4? It doesn't have to be bluetooth but must be wireless. My cat sits on my lap while I play and gets tangled up with the wire coming out of the controller (the included chat headset).

Pulse Elites and Golds day 1 purchase and no damage whatsoever. What the fuck are you guys doing to your headsets? I used them all the time since I purchased them and I keep hearing about how terribly constructed or bad hinges ect... I look at mine in very good condition and say are they talking abut these headphones?

Pulse Elites and Golds day 1 purchase and no damage whatsoever. What the fuck are you guys doing to your headsets? I used them all the time since I purchased them and I keep hearing about how terribly constructed or bad hinges ect... I look at mine in very good condition and say are they talking abut these headphones?

Bad construction, it's really not about what people "do to them", because most people don't treat their hardware poorly. It's been really well documented why these headphones snap, and that's a combination of cheap plastic being used along with said plastic in hinges intended to take pressure when you put them on.

Catdaddy

I treated them well... I literally took them off my head to answer a call and they fucking broke. Nothing violent.... no anger ..took them off.. and the hidge broke. My daughter gave these to me for my birthday, so I'm pissed.... especially after reading what I see online about them. When they "worked" they were great but 70 bucks for shitty craftsmanship..cmon..... If I didnt see other posts, Id be okay with a 'defect' but seems to be a frontrunning issue with these headsets...sad.....

My Pulse Elites ate still okay, just so damn tight I have to have them stretched out all the time. My Golds still are okay, but have developed stress fractures in the band itself after fitting them over the PSVR a few times.

I'm hoping the Platinum will do me well. Seemed pretty good at PSX Pro stations.

Rippa

I've had my headphones since it's first iteration when it released for the PS3. I've been using it nightly and it's still intact, in perfect working order with no breaks or cracks at the hinges. Some people just don't know how to handle anything with care.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I've had my headphones since it's first iteration when it released for the PS3. I've been using it nightly and it's still intact, in perfect working order with no breaks or cracks at the hinges. Some people just don't know how to handle anything with care.

Mine are fine as well, but I despise this sentiment. When the issue is as wide spread as it is, it's simply not user error.

-Amon-

My day one Golds continue to deliver with zero problems. Really happy with them.

Let's see if these new Platinum have a real edge on them.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Why do they build these things with that hinge?! My gold set recently snapped in two on the left side with only a single tiny wire holding it on there. I stitch it up with tape and somehow only a few days later the right hinge snaps off as well??

They are basically fine now that i sealed them up with duct tape really tight, but that's not a viable solution that should just be accepted as a failsafe

DONT MAKE A DESIGN WITH THE STUPID HINGE SONY, or better yet, fix your Gdamn build quality on these shits

RedAssedApe

Banned
Why do they build these things with that hinge?! My gold set recently snapped in two on the left side with only a single tiny wire holding it on there. I stitch it up with tape and somehow only a few days later the right hinge snaps off as well??

They are basically fine now that i sealed them up with duct tape really tight, but that's not a viable solution that should just be accepted as a failsafe

DONT MAKE A DESIGN WITH THE STUPID HINGE SONY, or better yet, fix your Gdamn build quality on these shits

the folding gimmick

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The Pulse Elites were way more sensitive and prone to damage in my case. I did sit on mine so that's on me though but even before that I noticed they were a very stiff and slightly unwieldy headset. I've got a big head so that doesn't help either as they were always a tight fit. I have a set of the Gold's now and they've lasted me over a year now but I'm pretty gentle with them all things considered.

Top Bottom