• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PlayStation Platinum Wireless Headset

Gekzee

Banned
So can anyone tell me how they perform on PC? I know tht 3D audio is a Sony thing, but on PC does it offer a decent 7.1 experience? I really can't find any reviews talking about anything other than it's PS4 performance.

Mengetsu

... wait what? Like the ear cups don't slide up and down the headband? Because they definitely do that

Maybe I heard wrong but at 3:44 in the video he says no sliding mechanism. I could be wrong and maybe he's talking about something different.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
I'm happy with my golds however it's disappointing to hear the new ones aren't up to scratch as an upgrade was itching my back pocket.

I might grab a pair of Astro A50 gen 3's as I hear they're the shiznit.

Fisty

Maybe I heard wrong but at 3:44 in the video he says no sliding mechanism. I could be wrong and maybe he's talking about something different.

I think he may have been talking about the old sliding mechanism that adjusted the actual headband like on the OG PS3 headset, I guess. But yeah he kind of worded that weird. You can definitely adjust the cups up and down, that's the first thing I had to do, so no worries there

Unknown?

I'm moving soon and probably will need a headset because my surround sound will need to be more quiet and can't have it loud. I like the promise of 3D audio but should I go for this or a headset that is true surround sound and not virtual?

Mengetsu

I think he may have been talking about the old sliding mechanism that adjusted the actual headband like on the OG PS3 headset, I guess. But yeah he kind of worded that weird. You can definitely adjust the cups up and down, that's the first thing I had to do, so no worries there

Ok that's good to know. I will be ordering these soon and already liked the Golds besides the build quality. People say the sound on them was bad but I never had an issue with them. Only the bass was lacking for me personally. The wireless factor and easy access wins over using an amp and such on more expensive set.

Also just got the email that the Platinums are worth 1600 Sony Reward Points if you order from them directly if you use it.

Gekzee

Banned
hold up... do these really not work on PC or Android? the dongle on the Pulse Elite worked fine with both.
I'd really like to know, it will make or break whether I get it or not.

EDIT: Ok so I've seen a video where they show the side of the box and it says that 7.1 is only available on PS4, it also says compatible with PS4 & PSVR. So I guess it doesn't actually work with PC.

notacat

I pre-ordered this, waited for it to show up and it never did.

Instead, i read reviews of it and a few mentioned other cheaper headsets they liked better. so i cancelled my preorder and ordered one of those instead.

I'm sure i'd have liked it, but it kind of sucks when it's supposed to be released yet it's sporadically in stock everywhere, if at all.

Baliis

EDIT: Ok so I've seen a video where they show the side of the box and it says that 7.1 is only available on PS4, it also says compatible with PS4 & PSVR. So I guess it doesn't actually worth with PC.

It should work fine, the website for them says
Connect wirelessly to your PS4™ and personal computer. Connect to a PlayStation®VR headset or mobile device with the included 3.5mm audio cable.

And the review Mengetsu posted mentions using them on PC.

All the fancy features are ps4 only I'd assume though

Gekzee

Banned
It should work fine, the website for them says

And the review Mengetsu posted mentions using them on PC.

All the fancy features are ps4 only I'd assume though
Hum, is 7.1 a fancy feature, though? Do they just become stereo on PC?

I'm moving soon and probably will need a headset because my surround sound will need to be more quiet and can't have it loud. I like the promise of 3D audio but should I go for this or a headset that is true surround sound and not virtual?

All headset surround sound is virtual.

EDIT: Ok so I've seen a video where they show the side of the box and it says that 7.1 is only available on PS4, it also says compatible with PS4 & PSVR. So I guess it doesn't actually work with PC.

The Gold's work fine on PC (in stereo), so I see no reason why the Platinum's shouldn't work. Just plug the dongle in and off you go.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

There is no such thing as a true surround headset. Just different methods of virtual mixing all marketed differently.

That said, I have found the Virtual surround quality to be pretty solid in the Gold's(and Elites last gen). Imagine Plats are just as good if not better. But don't mistake the marketing for the reality of the technology.

Brandon F

What's wrong with the elites? Had mine for almost 4 years now and they've been great

You never felt like the Elites headband was driving a nail through your skull? Shocking...just do a basic google search about this issue. You can spend all day reading about this problem.

Unknown?

There is no such thing as a true surround headset. Just different methods of virtual mixing all marketed differently.

That said, I have found the Virtual surround quality to be pretty solid in the Gold's(and Elites last gen). Imagine Plats are just as good if not better. But don't mistake the marketing for the reality of the technology.
Ah cool, thanks for that. I'll get the platinums then.

Love my Gold's despite not having voice feedback (hearing your own voice through headset), which is #1 on my list in choosing a headset.

Would bite on the Platniums if it has a proper voice feedback setting

jwk94

Love my Gold's despite not having voice feedback (hearing your own voice through headset), which is #1 on my list in choosing a headset.

Would bite on the Platniums if it has a proper voice feedback setting

Huh? The headset definitely has that. Try pressing and holding the mute button. That should re-enable it.

belvedere

Junior Butler
You never felt like the Elites headband was driving a nail through your skull? Shocking...just do a basic google search about this issue. You can spend all day reading about this problem.

I've seen a lot of people in other threads say the same, that their elites weren't uncomfortable after years of use. Someone better tell them they're wrong before its too late!

Huh? The headset definitely has that. Try pressing and holding the mute button. That should re-enable it.

Yeah I tried that, and spent a good week or so looking up information on how to even get it to work but either I have a wonky headset or the feedback is so minuscule that I don't even notice it

Gekzee

Banned
The Gold's work fine on PC (in stereo), so I see no reason why the Platinum's shouldn't work. Just plug the dongle in and off you go.
I was hoping they would offer up a 7.1 option for PC games. I'm guessing the only thing really stopping it is that Sony aren't offering any PC drivers for it.

if this is like that piece of crap gold, don't get it guys. audio will drop every few minutes, even if the headset is very close to the ps4.

if this is like that piece of crap gold, don't get it guys. audio will drop every few minutes, even if the headset is very close to the ps4.
any time that happened to me it was signal interference... if that still happens do you, did you ever try turning off your wi-fi modem (or any other source inputs) just to see if afterwards the Golds ran smooth?

my Golds used to get static and drop once in awhile, and what finally fixed it is that I noticed if I turned off my modem, they worked perfect, so I synced up the Golds to their USB toggle while my modem was turned off (resetting the Golds with a pin in the pinhole and then holding.... I forget which combination of buttons; there's a specific way to do a factory reset), and then turning back on my wi-fi sources afterwards, and they worked flawlessly ever since.

any time that happened to me it was signal interference... if that still happens do you, did you ever try turning off your wi-fi modem (or any other source inputs) just to see if afterwards the Golds ran smooth?

my Golds used to get static and drop once in awhile, and what finally fixed it is that I noticed if I turned off my modem, they worked perfect, so I synced up the Golds to their USB toggle while my modem was turned off (resetting the Golds with a pin in the pinhole and then holding.... I forget which combination of buttons; there's a specific way to do a factory reset), and then turning back on my wi-fi sources afterwards, and they worked flawlessly ever since.

I did all of that, and it always come back

RedAssedApe

Banned

will likely happen with every wireless headset to some extend. i owned the golds for awhile and it happened occasionally but it wouldn't even be on my list of cons for that particular headset

Gaz_RB

As someone one who had the original Pulse Elites, then the Golds, I'm looking forward to getting this tomorrow. These are seriously so easy to use and so easy to switch from PC and PS4, which I do almost daily.

I'll give a review (with the understanding that my perspective may be a bit skewed given that I've owned all the PS headsets) on Friday.

Waterdrop

I dono why people hating on the pulse elites.

IMO they are the best console headphones on the planet, absolutely loved them. The base on them is amazing.

RedAssedApe

Banned

IMO they are the best console headphones on the planet, absolutely loved them. The base on them is amazing.

battery life and they were like clamps on my head. also i believe there was a cracking issue that the golds seemed to inherit :\

X-Frame

I love my Gold's, but my head is small so that's likely a factor in terms of comfort -- but I've worn them for long Destiny raids and just overall long gaming sessions no problem at all. The convenience is unmatched.

I know the sound quality is not what a more expensive pair of headphones could deliver, especially if plugged in wired -- but the Platinum's with bigger 50mm drivers should make Stereo or the 7.1 all sound noticeably better than the Gold's.

Jaroof

Just had my second pair of Golds break on me :/

I'm considering the Platinum headset as a replacement, but if the build quality isn't any better, I'm just gonna choose something else.

B-Ri

Impressions so far:

Picked these up from gamestop last night, I had them preordered.

First off the quality is a lot better than the golds. The golds have foamy cushioned ear cups but these are like a hard plastic. The buttons are basically in the same position except the on/off switch which is position on the top of the left ear as opposed tothe bottom. Also the 3D/Vss is on the riaght ear piece but mine are going to be switched to on as default, cause why would I turn that off. The buttons are actually physical buttons and not hidden under a piece of fabric like the golds. The head band is metal with a rubber band underneath that forms to your head and IMO is more comfortable than the golds. The ear cushions are more comfortable to. The side tone is improved, I wasnt actually impressed with that on the golds but the platinums are a lot better in that regard. I never had a problem with thehinges on thr golds but like I said the head band is metal which connects to the ear cups which are a hard plastic. I dont feel ill ever have an issue with these cracking or breaking.

I loaded two profiles the watch Dogs 2 and uncharted 4, they go in either the 1 or 2 button switch. So thats nice to be able to change profiles on the fly. The sound is more detailed, marcus's voice for example was much crisper. Directional is better, standing on a busy street and picking up differemt comversations from different directions was very nice. Now, uncharted 4 has 3D audio and this might sound weird but it was kinda creepy how detailed it was. I loaded up chapter 12 with Sam and nate, and even the minor foot step sounds sounded like they were actually under you. Not to mention hand holds above you and Sam talking to you from a distance. My opinion it was night and day, in fact the PS os sounded better going in and out of apps.

Finally I watched a movie and again it was night and day from the golds. There was no interference or muffling it was very crisp and detailed audio. The surround sound sounds very true to whats actually on screen and how its supposed to sounds. It doesnt sound simulated at all, they seem very nice for price. Considering I paid $100 for the golds and $160 for these the 60 dollar difference makes all the difference in the world. I would recommend these for somebody looking for quality sound and plug and play convenience.

now i dont know what to believe. The engadget review killed me wanting them

Brandon F

The bass was neat, but only really worthwhile at low setting as anything above like 20% drowned out the audio way too much and got kind of irritating having massive low-end rumble crashing in your ears for even minor footsteps. But at max setting the bass literally rattled your head which was funny.

I do also miss having 6 saved sound profiles and the little audio cues for switching between them. Sucks that the newer line scaled all that back.

Just a shame that the build quality on the Pulse Elites wasn't all that great(mine never broke, but it was a large enough issue), and I really found them unusable after 20 minutes or so due to the headband discomfort. Loved them myself otherwise, but the Gold's have been just far more pleasant, even if the above features were ripped out. Replacing with the platinum myself though, looking forward to some 3D profiles in 2017.

I am mainly interested in these for the battery life alone. My Golds while fully charged only last about 2 hours. They also are starting to fall apart and I am very cautious with my electronics.

x-Lundz-x

I ordered my pair from Amazon today to replace my Gold headset, I hope they are amazing and comfortable. Kinda worried reading a few posts in here.

After using them for a bit, I'm starting to like them a lot. The battery is great, they sound better than the Golds and they seem sturdier. That last part could change, but so far I'm really liking them. Tried using the Golds again for kicks. Yeah, they don't compare. I'm happy with my purchase.

Memnoch

Mine arrives today. I'm really hoping the build quality is better than the golds as I'm on my third pair of those. Strange both local Walmarts did not have the headphones so I had to order online.

Jashobeam

using my golds right now on the pc, they are great except the band started to crack a little on one side, i just wrap some electrical tape around it for extra support lol.

anddo0

using my golds right now on the pc, they are great except the band started to crack a little on one side, i just wrap some electrical tape around it for extra support lol.

I own two pairs of Pulse Elites, electrical tape has persevered their life for a few years now

DSC_00041_zpsghj8szpt.jpg

Osahi

Tempted to get these, as my Gold headsets starts to wear and tear around the cups.

Does the 7.1 support movies too? Or is it just games?

Got $105 back from Best Buy for returning my Gold headset as it was under warranty. Unfortunately Best Buy doesn't seem to have them in stock at my local store and they are still in the pre order phase on their website.

Picked up a set from GameStop instead. Looking forward to trying replaying UC4

Top Bottom