• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PlayStation Platinum Wireless Headset

kc44135

This thing is going to snap right off right there.

My Gold Headset sure did.

Eh, I've had the Gold headset since it launched. Never had a problem. I suppose I'm in the minority there, but I was pretty happy with 'em. Platinum looks good, so I'll probably pick one up.

DirtyLarry

Will be waiting for my when I get home. My wife picked them up for me as an XMas present which was cool. Hope there is a mode specifically for RE7.

RedAssedApe

Banned
can anyone comment on the vss compared to the vss on the golds?

the vss on the golds totally hollowed out the sound from what i can recall and killed any little bass that there was in stereo mode.

Shock32

now i dont know what to believe. The engadget review killed me wanting them

That Engadget review was fairly close to how I feel about them. I guess I have a normal sized head because I've worn these things for a good 6 hours at a time and haven't ever felt uncomfortable at all with them. The guy recommends a cheaper headset that doesn't support 3D audio because not a lot of games do. But every PSVR game does, and I'm sure more games will start adding it. It's a small cost now for future games, I love them. They sound great for games and movies.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just got my headset delivered as I was about to leave the house. Quickly tested them out with 3D in Uncharted and was very impressed. The game automatically recognized the 3D profile and adjusted the audio as such without me doing anything but loading it into the set from the app.

The audio sounded exceptionally crisp and I did get a feeling that the soundstage was pushed out almost as if what I was hearing was coming from a source farther from the earcuff. Gunshots were meaty, but even walking slowly through grass or pressing against some object was heard with more definition than I recall. I will spend time doing a comparison tonight with the Golds.

As for the build, its very light. Much lighter than I expected. I do kind of prefer the cushioned rubber surrounding the Golds moreso than the hard plastic with sharp outlines they have going on here, but comfort was great in the few minutes I tried. The buttons are in new locations so that will take time to adjust. Hinges seem fine, but I haven't tried any stress test, but they do feel more reliable than the Golds/Elites. Hard to make a call yet though.

I also downloaded the WD2 profile along with U4(headset can store two profiles now), but there seems to be a problem with Watch Dogs 2 as no sound came out at all when switching the plats to it. I even briefly replaced it with Last Guardian and that worked fine. Sony and Ubi will need to look into this, as even at a system level its literally silence when using WD2 loaded up.

I'll put them through the wringer tonight.

nikos

Some Amazon sellers are selling this for less than $140 shipped, so I bit. Gonna have to wait about a week for it, but that's not a big deal.

Was pleased with the wireless Gold for gaming. Never had an issue with them.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Some Amazon sellers are selling this for less than $140 shipped, so I bit. Gonna have to wait about a week for it, but that's not a big deal.

Was pleased with the wireless Gold for gaming. Never had an issue with them.

Can get $25 off at bb via visa checkout deal

DirtyLarry

I can confirm the Watch Dogs 2 profile is not working. Nothing but silence on everything. I did not check if the game itself worked or not as I need to hear everything else.

That was my extent of testing to be honest, still charging them.

Just curious did anyone get prompted for an firmware update or anything along those lines? The Quick Start Guide said there would be one, but I did not see any myself.

Does anyone know how this stacks up with Steelseries 800? - that one is 260 Euro; https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/siberia-840

or

the V-Modas?

The thing about wireless headsets is that it can still be frustratingly difficult to find something good.

1) good battery life and good charging capabillities

2) good sound quality

3) good mic quality

4) design that can take a serious beating. headsets are meant to be abused. It's no good if the hinges crack like nothing.

Arsenic

I ordered mine earlier today from Newegg for $127. Free shipping and no tax.

I see deals here but after factoring tax, newegg still seems to be the cheapest option so far.

Im coming from the pulse headset and truthfully, im worried that the build on these are trash, but theres really no set of headphones that are easier to use on the ps4.

Brandon F

Does anyone know how this stacks up with Steelseries 800? - that one is 260 Euro; https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/siberia-840

or

the V-Modas?

The thing about wireless headsets is that it can still be frustratingly difficult to find something good.

1) good battery life and good charging capabillities

2) good sound quality

3) good mic quality

4) design that can take a serious beating. headsets are meant to be abused. It's no good if the hinges crack like nothing.

I actually have the steelseries 800 for my PC(cheaper but near identical to the 840s). They are a great pair of headphones, especially love the swappable battery packs. Sound quality is quite good and the comfort/build has been fantastic. Headband is a but stiff when new, but it's memory foam so it takes some use to fit snugly.

My only real issue is that even at its loudest setting, they can still sound a bit tinny for my tastes. I mostly find myself pretty much playing with the volume fully cranked which is a bit strange, but it could be a factor of the virtual Dolby 7.1 surround mode as I rarely set it to stereo mode. (To compare, the plats can get exceptionally loud if you crank the volume). Also I never use them on ps4 as its kind of a multi-step process to setup and I much prefer just having them live at the PC desk.

I definitely also prefer the build and feel of the steelseries to the platinums so far. Both are light, but the sharp edge plastic aesthetic Sony went with kind of feels less inviting to use. The dials and switches are also not very pleasant to push while wearing, whereas with the 800's its the opposite. You are paying far more for the 800's however.

Can't comment yet on the reliability of the plats yet, but I don't expect they can take quite a beating. I feel more comfortable dropping my 800's than I would the plats right now.

nikos

Can get $25 off at bb via visa checkout deal

After tax, Amazon would have still been cheaper but that BB deal has been tempting me all week.

Looks like Jet and Newegg have come through with even better deals. It's also shipped and sold by Amazon now, for the same $138 I paid.

Should have probably waited a bit, but I didn't expect a deal on day one to begin with so I'm not complaining.

Sanke__

Mine are charging
Give them a test tomorrow after work

Fingers crossed that the battery can actually last somewhat close to a day

Memnoch

Received mine yesterday. They sound okay and the build quality is a little better than the golds. Let's hope these last, if not, these are my last sony headphones. I went through three pairs of golds due to cracking and that is unacceptable.

Brandon F

Amazon now has them for $138. Refunded me $23 for pre-order protection which is nice.

Slixshot

Banned
Received mine yesterday. They sound okay and the build quality is a little better than the golds. Let's hope these last, if not, these are my last sony headphones. I went through three pairs of golds due to cracking and that is unacceptable.

How is the sound compared to the Golds?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Damn disappointing.. I'm out.

7:35 mark
https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?t=455&v=LFxOCTvJAIg

Sound seal is a deal breaker for me. I don't like to hear the rest of the world while gaming. The headset also has other problems involving volume.

I'm may opt to get a Mix amp, or just get the A50's outright.

does this mean they are more open so possibly have a better soundstage? also can you even get a better quality mic in that type of form factor that's not a boom?

anddo0

does this mean they are more open so possibly have a better soundstage? also can you even get a better quality mic in that type of form factor that's not a boom?

It's closed back; so average soundstage

I mean, you could always buy a mod mic, but kinda defeats the purpose of buying a gaming headset.. A Sennheiser HD 598+mod mic would be in the same range of this (minus 3d audio and 7.1)

I already have two great Sony headphones (1000x and 950BT) just need an amp.. The Astro mix amp cost as much as the Plat's. So I might buy/try them.

Justified

Got my pair in today via Amazon.

The build quality feels better than the Golds, and Elites. Still has the hinges though for some reason.

The One thing I will miss from the Elites is the volume sliders.

Will test out the sound quality later. Im no audiophile though so I sure I will be satisfied

RedAssedApe

Banned
It's closed back; so average soundstage

I mean, you could always buy a mod mic, but kinda defeats the purpose of buying a gaming headset.. A Sennheiser HD 598+mod mic would be in the same range of this (minus 3d audio and 7.1)

I already have two great Sony headphones (1000x and 950BT) just need an amp.. The Astro mix amp cost as much as the Plat's. So I might buy/try them.

I have the a50s gen 3 at the moment so was just more curious about the sound quality. Mic quality isnt a deal breaker for me. Wired is though.

Since the PS3 isn't mentioned I'm assuming it doesn't work wirelessly with the PS3? Guess I'll stick with the gold's.

I was looking at one in a store the other day and there is no mention of PS3 anywhere on the box. The Gold headset box does mention PS3, so I would bet that the Platinums do not work with PS3.

DirtyLarry

Definitely missing the volume slider, as it was much easier to tell where I was in relation to max volume. As it is I have to open to sidebar to see as pressing volume up or down does not bring up the little pop up like it used to.

I thought they sounded about on par with the Elites. I own the Elites and the Golds (have 2 PS4's in my home). I also liked the feel of the Elites better myself but the feel of these is not bad by any means, just the main band on the Elites felt better on my bald head. They were plastic with cushion, these platinums are metal with a cushion. Obviously they are sturdier, but again on my bald head, Elites were more comfortable. These are not uncomfortable though, but I feel them.

So I personally would say if you own the Elites, I see no major reason to upgrade myself. I did check out the 3D sound in Uncharted, and yeah, it no doubt is good at emulating surround sound, but I also did not notice a major difference from the Elite's. I suppose I can always do a head to head test of each if someone was really interested.

Just bought these also. They don't sound like a huge upgrade over the golds , probably not worth it if you already have the golds or the elites. I guess the 3D tech is going to be the difference, and if enough future games support it.

Does there happen to be a list, or at least confirmed games that will utilize the tech? Would be nice to see games like Nioh, Horizon, or Nier use it.

I hope more games use it.

Is it just me, or does it sometimes sound better with the vss/3D audio off?

it almost sounds like an echo, or people are talking in a cave. With it off, voices seem more clear.

X-Frame

it almost sounds like an echo, or people are talking in a cave. With it off, voices seem more clear.

A lot of people feel this way. The bass seems to plummet even further and it's low to begin with. I've started to turn off my VSS on my Gold's so I imagine it's similar on the Platinum's.

RedAssedApe

Banned

That's actually a complaint with a lot of virtual surround implementations and why some people prefer stereo.

vin-buc

I've been reading/watching reviews and I'm on the fence about these. Although getting them for $117 on Jet.com after the coupon (new users only) seems a lot better than $160.

I'm a little annoyed at Sony with the design of these things. I wish the dualshock 4 had more power to drive different types of wired headsets like the SteelSeries Artic 05, HyperX Cloud II's, etc. I know you can buy an amp and all but it defeats the purpose for me (wiring, $$, setup).

I'm eyeing something different tho - the Lucid Sound LS30 wireless headset. It uses an optical cable that attaches to a USB dongle. I have an OG so I can put the optical cable under the console to hide it and wrap it through the back. I also like the fact the volume and game/chat volume are ear cup dials and not little buttons. They are a little pricey tho at $150. Anyone here have them and have thoughts?

A found a random youtuber video review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDBYoNZpadg
Also a Gold vs Platinum Video comparing the two's quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTNzijR3j8w

Seems like they are much better with durability but, he says the ear cups don't slide up or down anymore. This is how i got it to fit my head right. I hope they aren't to tight :/

That's bull.
The earcups DO slide up and down.
The build and sound quality are both better than the Gold headset. They sound good when not powered and just using the audio cable for stereo sound too.
The VSS is effective for directional sound. I can't comment on 3d audio as I haven't had a chance to try Uncharted yet.

If you find the bass a bit thin when using VSS try using a preset that boosts the bass or make your own.
I used to use the Destiny preset on the Golds and it improved bass significantly.

The only thing I can't comment on is durability. My launch Golds finally succumbed to a snapped headband about 4 days before my Platinums arrived. The bit where they snapped is made of metal on the Platinums so hopefully it's a problem that's fixed.

They're decent headphones. The Engadget review is bollocks.

holygeesus

Banned
These are just regular stereo headphones right? All the surround work is done in software? I don't understand why Sony don't sell us the surround work and allow us to use our own regular headphones with their tech. It would allow us to use open backed headphones with a wider soundstage and achieve better results.

X-Frame

These are just regular stereo headphones right? All the surround work is done in software? I don't understand why Sony don't sell us the surround work and allow us to use our own regular headphones with their tech. It would allow us to use open backed headphones with a wider soundstage and achieve better results.

You can buy a Mixamp Like this Astro Mixamp Pro TR for PS4 that will produce Dolby Surround Sound.

I don't think the 3D Audio is something that is out there though. But with the above Mixamp you can use it on any pair of headphones.

holygeesus

Banned
You can buy a Mixamp Like this Astro Mixamp Pro TR for PS4 that will produce Dolby Surround Sound.

I don't think the 3D Audio is something that is out there though. But with the above Mixamp you can use it on any pair of headphones.

Yeah cheers. I just like how Sony have different profiles for games and such like and I have to admit the 3D interests me from a technical perspective especially as a headphone fanatic in general.

anddo0

I've been reading/watching reviews and I'm on the fence about these. Although getting them for $117 on Jet.com after the coupon (new users only) seems a lot better than $160.

I'm a little annoyed at Sony with the design of these things. I wish the dualshock 4 had more power to drive different types of wired headsets like the SteelSeries Artic 05, HyperX Cloud II's, etc. I know you can buy an amp and all but it defeats the purpose for me (wiring, $$, setup).

I'm eyeing something different tho - the Lucid Sound LS30 wireless headset. It uses an optical cable that attaches to a USB dongle. I have an OG so I can put the optical cable under the console to hide it and wrap it through the back. I also like the fact the volume and game/chat volume are ear cup dials and not little buttons. They are a little pricey tho at $150. Anyone here have them and have thoughts?

Gamesky loves them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M1btp2e1vg

They seem to have great high volumes, and the overall sound quality is good (bass can be a little muddy). While they're no 7.1, they have amazing sound separation, completely wireless.

Personally I'm looking away from Sony.. All of a sudden the Hyper X Cloud 2 and Logitech - G933 look like good buys.. The G933 isn't 7.1 on PS4, but sound pretty close to it, and they are completely wireless.

Top Bottom