• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PlayStation Platinum Wireless Headset

PotatoCat

Will this be better than the hyperx cloud II as a ps4 headset because i've read reviews for it and they're all good. The only thing that bugs me is that the hyperx cloud II doesn't have volume and mic control and i have to fiddle with it in the quick menu

anddo0

Will this be better than the hyperx cloud II as a ps4 headset because i've read reviews for it and they're all good. The only thing that bugs me is that the hyperx cloud II doesn't have volume and mic control and i have to fiddle with it in the quick menu

The Hyper X 2 has inline controls

eb0b8f4a-ee10-49ed-8d02-4a5acee26202.jpg._CB291176587__SR220,220_.jpg

The plats are better choice if you can look past their shortcomings and get a non-defective set.

PotatoCat

The Hyper X 2 has inline controls

eb0b8f4a-ee10-49ed-8d02-4a5acee26202.jpg._CB291176587__SR220,220_.jpg

The plats are better choice if you can look past their shortcomings and get a non-defective set.

I've read that doesn't work for the ps4. Or is that only the 7.1 button that doesn't work? But i'd like to know which has better audio. The hyperx cloud 2 or these because everyone is praising how good the hyper x cloud 2 is.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the impressions fellas. My Golds broke the other day (where cracked a little and I ripped them off my head in frustration and accidentally finished the job...).

I ended up just getting another pair of Golds since they're on sale for $68 on Amazon. Couldn't justify the premium for the Platinums, or find a better wireless option for less than $68. My first pair lasted me 4 years despite being a common target of my gaming frustrations. :D

Just ordered a pair of these from Walmart.com since they aren't in stock at any of the surrounding Walmarts in my area. The price is $132 almost $30 cheaper then the $159 msrp price. My Gamestop is selling them for $169. With shipping I paid $146, so if anyone cares about saving money and don't mind waiting for shipping Walmart.com is a pretty nice alternative.

demonkaze

So I've been loving these since I got them but have noticed a small problem with them the last few days. For some reason, I seem to have no sound coming out of the left headphone, any idea why this is and what I can do to sort it out?

Hwoar

So I've been loving these since I got them but have noticed a small problem with them the last few days. For some reason, I seem to have no sound coming out of the left headphone, any idea why this is and what I can do to sort it out?

Small problem? :eek:

Goodluck with that.

Can't officially confirm, but that's what mine seems to be doing.

After a long charge the red light goes off and on the console is then fully charged (three stripes)
Thanks for the info, they have been plugged in my PS4 for over 3 hours and still aren't fully charged, sheesh lol.

Haven't charged them with a timer but I don't think it was close to 3 hours last time I've charged them and that was on a depleted battery.
Nice I did the sock mod that was posted in the thread a page back. I feel allot more confident using them for long periods of time with out worrying about the pleather flaking off over time. They are actually more comfortable to wear now too.

WolfRathmA

Everyone in Europe at least, have the same problem with the buzzing sound from the right ear cup.

Sony has release another pair with some differences https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8jfvIVYsek&t=258s

This is from bad/dirty electricity. If you plug in the usb charge cable the buzzing stops.

You can read on the amazon site that this problem is very common to everyone and Sony doesn't do nothing about it...

I have the same problem. Anyone else?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayS...ging_btm_1?filterByStar=critical&pageNumber=1

I just returned mine.

It had a buzzing noise in the right ear cup.
It's a manufacturing error. It's like a whiny coil noise. Was less when the USB was in while having it on.

Without it it was really noticeable and loud. Even over gameplay.

So if you have that problem, return it!!! I didn't order a new one. I'll wait for a price drop and wait till the acknowledge and fix it, difference with the gold wasn't much anyway I'll keep using those until then (build quality was amazing though)

If you don't believe me just Google:

"Platinum headset buzzing noise" a lot of people have the exact same problem, noise in the right ear cup, even the replacements they got, and some even got it after some usage later.

Hope they fix it......... I was really turned off especially because of my excellent experience with the gold.

Edit: added link

http://community.eu.playstation.com...ony-Playstation-Platinum-Headset/m-p/24880289

Memnoch

No buzzing with mine. I'm really enjoying them and they are not cracking like my three sets of golds - nice.

WolfRathmA

The sound quality and product quality is great about this headset. They only have this issue for me. It doesn't matter if it is connected to ps4 or not. Try to power on the headset and you will hear the buzzing coming from the right ear pad. For me it's very noticeable, for others may not.

If i use the headset only for chat, it's very annoying to me. If i use it with gaming, it's only noticeable when i'm on the ps4 menu.

Stoffinator

I just bought these the other day. I love the 3D audio in the two games that support it so far. But my major concern is that the headset feels very cheap. Feels like they will snap in half very quickly.

Hey!

So I'd like to buy another headset for my PS4 and I tought of getting this one. I still have a question thought.
About the durability, is it like the first headset > https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61URQEc%2BH2L._SL1000_.jpg ?
Because, like many, I had my share of problem with it. First is the little plastic piece that hold each earcup, there are soooo fragile. I take good care of all my devices, including this one but it just broke so fast!
Also, the piece that hold both earcup (don't know how it's called...) broke. I know I have a big head but it seems really fragile to break like this...

So to the people owning the platinum headset, who use it a lot, do you have some problems with it?

stryke

I never owned the golds but they're holding up better than my Pulse headsets for now. The metal band probably has a bit more give for flexibility. I still wish they hadn't put in hinges. It doesn't save that much more space folded up.

Unless it's on sale I'd still say it's overpriced unless you're really pressed for a wireless option.

tsundoku

bought golds. absolutely loved the fit and feel and padding and comfort instantaneously. zero ear and skull pain and zero adjustment pain to wearing golds with apple earbuds in for combining exterior voip/podcast with game audio.

had to replace the 3.5mm cable a couple of times but eventually the plastic band on the gold headphones snapped

so i did the logical thing and found a luckily timed amazon warehouse deal. platinums for slightly higher cost then a new set of golds

the steel headband is fucking awful. it took like two weeks to bend it out of factory default shape (for like 11 year old destiny players i can only assume because its not for an adult size head) and the solution for the audio coming out of both earcups is that rubber band that is nothing like the gold headset padding and seems to dig in extremely hard into your skull

id rather buy a new set of golds every year then have a platinum headset for years

I see... Well I'll try to fix this on up until I found a good sale on it then... I don't want to buy the same headset to see it breaks like the one I already have...

bubumiao

Since these don't seem to work with ps3 I've been thinking of getting a Bluetooth headset to connect to my TV (KS8000). I also want to have a wireless headset to use while playing Xbox 360 too so that's why I'm thinking of going this route.

The only thing I'm wondering about is whether I'll be able to get surround sound this way if I don't get a dedicated gaming headset for ps3/Xbox 360 specifically (just get a good Bluetooth headset). Anyone have a recommendation?

Cranberrys

Since these don't seem to work with ps3 I've been thinking of getting a Bluetooth headset to connect to my TV (KS8000). I also want to have a wireless headset to use while playing Xbox 360 too so that's why I'm thinking of going this route.

The only thing I'm wondering about is whether I'll be able to get surround sound this way if I don't get a dedicated gaming headset for ps3/Xbox 360 specifically (just get a good Bluetooth headset). Anyone have a recommendation?

I sometimes watch movies or listen to music with a bluetooth headphone from my soundbar (Sony HT-CT790) since my TV (Sony XD9305) doesn't support bluetooth headphones and there's no surround sound, the feed from my BR player is surround (DTS or Dolby depending on the BR) but just plain stereo in BT but it sounds really good (with movies at least but I suppose it will be the same with games). I use a Sony Hear On MDR100 with noise cancellation. For gaming I use my Golds with PS3 and Platinum with PS4. Anyway, I don't think BT headphones can do virtual surround. Even the MDR1000 (399€) outputs only stereo.

bubumiao

I sometimes watch movies or listen to music with a bluetooth headphone from my soundbar (Sony HT-CT790) since my TV (Sony XD9305) doesn't support bluetooth headphones and there's no surround sound, the feed from my BR player is surround (DTS or Dolby depending on the BR) but just plain stereo in BT but it sounds really good (with movies at least but I suppose it will be the same with games). I use a Sony Hear On MDR100 with noise cancellation. For gaming I use my Golds with PS3 and Platinum with PS4. Anyway, I don't think BT headphones can do virtual surround. Even the MDR1000 (399€) outputs only stereo.

Thanks for the info. Not sure what to do. Kind of want to have surround sound (virtual) while playing xbox 360 games too. Too bad bluetooth doesn't have surround sound.

jvm

Gamasutra.
My Pulse Elites are finally cracking on one side, and will likely be unusable soon. 🙁 I've been careful with them for four years, and this is the end. Hrmph. Will probably get replacements but maybe not Sony, if build quality hasn't improved.

Does anyone experience a bug during rest mode? Turning on the headset doesn't seem to work, you need to restart the console (or re-plug the USB dongle).

Kaiken

Banned
Groupon has this for 125.99. I'm thinking about biting. Would you say it's worth it at that drop? Don't want to spend an arm and leg on a decent headset.

WoolyNinja

Groupon has this for 125.99. I'm thinking about biting. Would you say it's worth it at that drop? Don't want to spend an arm and leg on a decent headset.

After trying a ton I'd recommend grabbing the sennheiser hd 598 open backs that come with the microphone cable. It's around the same price and so fucking good at soundstage separation

Top Bottom