• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PlayStation Platinum Wireless Headset

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
the folding gimmick

I dont even see the point of the folding of the headset since i'm not generally going to put them in a compacted place to begin with, nor am i going to put them in the small black bag they give you either.

Elios83

I'm planning to buy this headset, since I can't install a surround system in my room I'm intrigued by the fact that this supports 3D audio on top of virtual surround. It would also be my first ''true'' headset.
Hopefully more and more games will support this technology, I've read that Uncharted 4 and The Last Guardian will support it. The Naughty Dog video explaining how for example you're going to hear Elena calling you from downstairs was pretty cool.

K' Dash

I want this, but I take excellent care of my gold headset and still cracked and the earpads are falling apart.

Shit quality.

Shock32

Amazon has them listed for January 10th release. Yesterday at GameStop the employee told me January 17th is when they are getting them.

I want this, but I take excellent care of my gold headset and still cracked and the earpads are falling apart.

Shit quality.

Have had my golds since launch no cracking but just recently the rubber started flaking off the ear cups. I do live in Florida where the humidity is a killer so while wearing them it gets sweaty.

Danneee

Had a Gold headset and it was fucking trash. Sound kept cutting out (3m unobstructed space from the console/USB receiver) and both sound quality and build quality was far too low for the asking price.

Edit: having to manually load game specific profiles was "fun" too.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Had a Gold headset and it was fucking trash. Sound kept cutting out (3m unobstructed space from the console/USB receiver) and both sound quality and build quality was far too low for the asking price.

Edit: having to manually load game specific profiles was "fun" too.

yeah this was definitely a pain in the ass on the golds. just made me not want to bother to try out new profiles as it was hard to a and b anything since you can only replace one at a time too. at least this has been fixed in the latest update to the app.

still wish they would allow you to replace all the profiles.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Anyone have recommendations on what sound profile on the golds work best with fps like battlefield and call of duty

Haven't checked but they might be specific ones in the custom head set app. Unless that's where you're at right now. Perhaps any other FPS shooter war based games if they have a specific sound profile for the headsets.

x-Lundz-x

I want a pair of these badly, my Gold headset has been fantastic but could use an upgrade as the earbuds are kinda falling apart.

Just got a email from amazon.ca telling me they're still trying to obtain the following item(s) ordered, and the release date on .ca has been pushed back to the 17th. Was really hoping to get them next week since my golds are barely holding up.. Fuck.

Sturtiebe

I have the headset today :)

If anyone have questions ask them.

Pics :

1ptgns.jpg

2s6wxgw.jpg

63ww8l.jpg

anddo0

I have the headset today :)

If anyone have questions ask them.

Pics :

1ptgns.jpg

2s6wxgw.jpg

63ww8l.jpg

Bass and volume levels?

Does it feel sturdy in your hands?

Does it clamp, comfort level?

I own the Pulse Elite (held together by tape) Ath-m50, Sony mdrxb950, and the Sony 1000X(really for music). I'm hoping that the platinums are legit. It's time to retire my elites, and connecting through the controller doesn't yield high enough volume.

Dommel

Bass and volume levels?

Does it feel sturdy in your hands?

Does it clamp, comfort level?

I own the Pulse Elite (held together by tape) Ath-m50, Sony mdrxb950, and the Sony 1000X(really for music). I'm hoping that the platinums are legit. It's time to retire my elites, and connecting through the controller doesn't yield high enough volume.

The headset feels sturdy, build quality seems good and looks real nice.

Just played about 3-4 hours of Watchdogs 2 with the preset for the game and everything sounds great to me (not much of an audio-expert though). No discomfort after wearing them for 3+ hours as well.

Not needing to connect the headset with USB anymore to change and upload presets is also very welcome.

Gekzee

Banned
There's a review out that's more like a hands on preview, they didn't even bother testing the battery duration.

www.pcmag.com/review/350966/sony-playstation-platinum-wireless-headset
No mention of mic quality either. They just say it lacks a boom mic, but has a pinhole one. That sucks (the lack of info, I mean).
Another review here: (seems they'e all coming out as of today):
http://www.stuff.tv/sony/playstation-platinum-wireless-headset/review
Though I've yet to actually look through it.

The headset feels sturdy, build quality seems good and looks real nice.

Just played about 3-4 hours of Watchdogs 2 with the preset for the game and everything sounds great to me (not much of an audio-expert though). No discomfort after wearing them for 3+ hours as well.

Not needing to connect the headset with USB anymore to change and upload presets is also very welcome.
Sorry, how does this work in terms of connection? I know it's called "wireless" but does that mean bluetooth wireless, or is it a usb dongle wireless, or is it wired to the controller?
There's a review out that's more like a hands on preview, they didn't even bother testing the battery duration.

www.pcmag.com/review/350966/sony-playstation-platinum-wireless-headset

It has a wired mode, so sure.
edit:
Instead of Bluetooth, the Platinum Wireless Headset uses a dongle-based 2.4GHz wireless connection. The included adapter is a small, black USB device with a rounded diamond profile. It plugs easily into the recessed USB ports on the front of the PS4, where it needs to stay for you to use the headset as intended. Besides the adapter, the headset also comes with a micro USB cable, a 3.5mm cable, and a cloth carrying pouch. Because the headset isn't Bluetooth and the adapter is designed solely for the PS4, you can't wirelessly connect it to mobile devices or your PC. However, the included 3.5mm audio cable lets you use it as a wired headset.
That's what I needed to know, thanks.

I preordered them on Best Buy, taking the plunge. I was happy with my Golds (no cracks, sound is fine to my ears) but I am hoping these are even better in terms of comfort, volume and fitting around the PSVR head strap.

jwk94

Sorry, how does this work in terms of connection? I know it's called "wireless" but does that mean bluetooth wireless, or is it a usb dongle wireless, or is it wired to the controller?

edit:

That's what I needed to know, thanks.

Unless Sony changed something with the dongle, you can use it on your PC. I've used every one of the PlayStation Wireless Headsets with my PC with no problems.

3 weeks of real world AirPod use has suddenly got me excited for wireless gaming audio. I'll be grabbing these as soon as I can afford them.

My Sennheiser hd25-1 ii will be will be relegated to even more specific use, and my stupid clip mic thrown out.

X-Frame

I'm very interested in these because I do want to upgrade from my Gold's (which have given me no problems in 2.5 years of owning them).

I also am looking at the newly announced HyperX Cloud Revolver S which are coming in around March.

https://www.cnet.com/products/hyperx-cloud-revolver-s/preview/

It's wired which is a negative there but if the build quality is better than these, plus the Dolby Surround Sound it could be worth looking at too.

I hate Sony to death for requiring the purchase of one of these headphones for voice chat. My nice bluetooth headset made by Sony can't pair up with the console. Have they mentioned allowing better bluetooth headphone support?

Banditscout

Neo Member
I picked up a set of these cans yesterday, and I'm pretty impressed! Sound is quite a bit more full than the Gold's that these replaced. I'm not an audiophile, but I am a bit of a headset collector. I would say that sound is fairly comparable to that of my TB Elite 800x, minus some bass.

The Platinum's are extremely comfortable, and the build quality at first glance is much improved from the somewhat chintzy Golds. The hinges look and feel significantly sturdier, but only time will tell if they hold up.

The best thing thus far with this headset is the positional audio. It's greatly improved over the Golds, and probably even better than the TB's and Astro's I've used in the past. I can't comment on the "3D audio" yet. I'm not sure how much of an improvement it really makes.

Anyway, those are my quick thoughts so far.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Comparison between the golds and plats. Hinges still look like they might be suspect

https://youtu.be/cTNzijR3j8w

Kind of curious to a and b these now. The vss in try golds is what threw me off. I currently have the Astro a50s gen3 but want to try these now before my bb return period expires lol

Shock32

Impressions so far:

Picked these up from gamestop last night, I had them preordered.

First off the quality is a lot better than the golds. The golds have foamy cushioned ear cups but these are like a hard plastic. The buttons are basically in the same position except the on/off switch which is position on the top of the left ear as opposed tothe bottom. Also the 3D/Vss is on the riaght ear piece but mine are going to be switched to on as default, cause why would I turn that off. The buttons are actually physical buttons and not hidden under a piece of fabric like the golds. The head band is metal with a rubber band underneath that forms to your head and IMO is more comfortable than the golds. The ear cushions are more comfortable to. The side tone is improved, I wasnt actually impressed with that on the golds but the platinums are a lot better in that regard. I never had a problem with thehinges on thr golds but like I said the head band is metal which connects to the ear cups which are a hard plastic. I dont feel ill ever have an issue with these cracking or breaking.

I loaded two profiles the watch Dogs 2 and uncharted 4, they go in either the 1 or 2 button switch. So thats nice to be able to change profiles on the fly. The sound is more detailed, marcus's voice for example was much crisper. Directional is better, standing on a busy street and picking up differemt comversations from different directions was very nice. Now, uncharted 4 has 3D audio and this might sound weird but it was kinda creepy how detailed it was. I loaded up chapter 12 with Sam and nate, and even the minor foot step sounds sounded like they were actually under you. Not to mention hand holds above you and Sam talking to you from a distance. My opinion it was night and day, in fact the PS os sounded better going in and out of apps.

Finally I watched a movie and again it was night and day from the golds. There was no interference or muffling it was very crisp and detailed audio. The surround sound sounds very true to whats actually on screen and how its supposed to sounds. It doesnt sound simulated at all, they seem very nice for price. Considering I paid $100 for the golds and $160 for these the 60 dollar difference makes all the difference in the world. I would recommend these for somebody looking for quality sound and plug and play convenience.

stryke

I hope they do a new version of the Silver Headset, particularly for 3D audio. I liked using the usb adaptor so I could already use my own headset.

Sturtiebe

HELP HELP

My headset is not so loud what do i do wrong ?

I set everything on high but its so low the sound :( is it the headset i prefer loud but this headset is not going so loud ?

Gr

Gekzee

Banned
Can anyone say how this performs on a PC rather than a PS4? Are they decent? Still offer 7.1 in PC games? Is there actually PC software for it?

overcast

Hm. Wondering if I should grab these or does GameStop currently stock better headsets for a similar price?

Have a gift card to use

Fisty

Tried them out for a bit after bringing them home, they sound pretty damn good and are very comfortable to wear. The metal top seemed like it would hold up rather well, but I'm not so sure about the hinges. They seemed sturdy but they are still hinges.

Looking forward to some awesome sound profiles from first party, at least. And I'm sure they will be great for VR, haven't really tested them out yet.

Top Bottom