• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon US/UM From Famitsu Interview

Orb

👏GIVE👏ME👏ARCEUS👏

Im cautiously excited now. Though I hope the opening isn't as long winded and boring as S/Ms was

Theorymon

GOD
FUCKING
DAMMIT

Can't we have 1, just 1 Genie free VGC

GAME FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAK

FYI It's going to mostly be Landorus-T this time, because Tapu Lele and Tapu Fini actually totally nuked Thundurus's usage. Thundurus-T is still pretty damn good though, but it isn't nearly as common as Thundurus was!

Imagine if they had hinted at even a little of this from the start instead of giving us a Lycanroc form that you can easily mistake for a shiny and expecting us to be excited.

JoeM86

Wait, so this is the biggest third version yet? You mean what I've been telling people for months and they've been dismissing me as a shill was correct?

Really excited about this :)

Macka

-If one just compares the sheer length of the script, US/UM is twice as long compared to Sun and Moon.
If there was ever any doubt, I am now definitely staying far away from this. Twice the dialogue of Sun/Moon?

giphy.webp

rucury

Banned
Please have better localization, please have better localization... It's what I most wanted to change from S/M.

JoeM86

What's this about genies? I did a google search and only got hacking tools and a legendary trio.

Tornadus, Thundurus and Landorus are a trio of rather good Pokémon in VGC. People were hoping they'd not be available so they couldn't be used this year

Orb

Please have better localization, please have better localization... It's what I most wanted to change from S/M.
Sun and Moons localization was amazing.

people really want frigid and sterile direct translations over localizers putting some fun in huh lol.

Ydelnae

I doubt the "twice as long script" is limited to story. The script could be easily expanded by a different post-game episode with more dialogue, more locations (which means a ton more script pages) and stuff. They are also comparing the games to Platinum, not to BW2 in terms of new content, so even if there's more than we expected, I doubt the game really include twice the content as the originals.

Wait, so this is the biggest third version yet? You mean what I've been telling people for months and they've been dismissing me as a shill was correct?

Really excited about this :)

Dude, if we went by what you used to tell people, the Switch does not exist because Nintendo would never make a hybrid console and these games would be the first Gen 8 games since "there's no such thing as adding Pokémon mid generation, new Pokémon means new generation". lol

Calling it now, the Ultra Space storyline causes more growth on Poni Island, resulting in the creation of the Battle Forest.

Theorymon

Since VGC 18 rules mention that its most of the national dex allowed, I imagine this will be like ORAS and have every old gen legendary obtainable through Ultra wormholes.

Also, the "easier to raise Pokemon" sounds promising to me. Bottle Caps are great for making SRing easy, but the grind to level 100 is brutal. As an example, I SRed for a weird Xurkitree to use in a tournament recently, and BARELY got my match done in time cuz I had to spend so much time grinding lol.

Also, I sorta hope we get a bottle cap that reduces stats to zero, like a rusty bottle cap or something. That would mean it wouldn't take ages to get Trick Room spreads, spreads that do better against Foul Play (very important for Lunala and likely Dawn Wings Necrozma), or god forbid, both combined!

-If one just compares the sheer length of the script, US/UM is twice as long compared to Sun and Moon.

Sun and Moon's script was already unnecessarily bloated. :/
I remember when people were complaining that Pokémon lacked story :p

Story is good and all and I want more story in Pokemon than we usually get, Sun and Moon's story is just bloated though. Most of the dialogue scenes feel entirely pointless, or like they could have been done in half the time.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I know I shouldn't get my hopes up, but this really reads to me like visiting other regions? Especially with how ORAS describes the concept of "Dimensions."

It's just going to be some small 'bizzaro' areas where you meet a few legendaries. Don't expect much.

JoeM86

Dude, if we went by what you used to tell people, the Switch does not exist because Nintendo would never make a hybrid console and these games would be the first Gen 8 games since "there's no such thing as adding Pokémon mid generation, new Pokémon means new generation". lol

I'm sorry that I lack precognition and can't see when they do something unprecedented.

ViciousDS

Banned
ooohhhh man

what if we could go back to kanto before their were gyms and shit.....omg this inter dimensional stuff opens a whole new door to shit

Theorymon

Tornadus, Thundurus and Landorus are a trio of rather good Pokémon in VGC. People were hoping they'd not be available so they couldn't be used this year

TBH I can't remember the last time Tornadus had a lot of usage (I did use it in early VGC 16 a bit though since I liked Tailwind over Thundurus, and I was worried people might use Mega Venusaur to deal with Primal Kyogre. Didn't happen thankfully lol!).

As I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't worry too much about Thundurus. Thundurus really hates Psychic and Misty Terrain that are gonna be very commonm and Thundurus-T, while good, isn't anywhere near the level of Thundurus was 2 years ago.

Landorus-T will still be huge howeverm that isn't changing. It's still the best Intimidator around! From my Battle Spot Doubles experience, old standards like Mega Kangaskhan, Cresselia, Heatran, and Amoonguss are still plenty good too.

There's some cool new niche stuff too however. For example, I happen to like Tapu Lele + Psychic Seed Driftblim stuff that you saw a bit this year in Battle Spot Doubles, and I heard Incineroar usage in BSD has been increasing because of its Z move. REALLY hope Incineroar gets Intimidate soon, that'd make it much better!

-Capturing and raising Pokemon became easier compared S/M.
Hopefully this means Pokemon like Mareanie now have a saner way of being encountered

Coming from somebody who didn't like the frequency of SM's cutscenes, this doesn't sound like good news. That is assuming, that "script" is referring to scenario dialog and not everything including text from added facilities and features.

TBH I can't remember the last time Tornadus had a lot of usage (I did use it in early VGC 16 a bit though since I liked Tailwind over Thundurus, and I was worried people might use Mega Venusaur to deal with Primal Kyogre. Didn't happen thankfully lol!).

As I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't worry too much about Thundurus. Thundurus really hates Psychic and Misty Terrain that are gonna be very commonm and Thundurus-T, while good, isn't anywhere near the level of Thundurus was 2 years ago.

Landorus-T will still be huge howeverm that isn't changing. It's still the best Intimidator around! From my Battle Spot Doubles experience, old standards like Mega Kangaskhan, Cresselia, Heatran, and Amoonguss are still plenty good too.

There's some cool new niche stuff too however. For example, I happen to like Tapu Lele + Psychic Seed Driftblim stuff that you saw a bit this year in Battle Spot Doubles, and I heard Incineroar usage in BSD has been increasing because of its Z move. REALLY hope Incineroar gets Intimidate soon, that'd make it much better!

Yup, and this is the first gen we have with new legends that put Genies away. I think we're going to get a healthy meta this new season. Even stuff like P2 + Araquanid are still used in BSD, imagine pairing with a Cresselia for Trick Room, bye bye Landorus.

Incineroar with Intimidate is going to be meta. Intimidate + Fake Out + a good Z-Move. It's not going to be as used as other mon, but I can see it in a place like Hitmontop was

Top Bottom