• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PRINCE OF PERSIA!!!!

Hesemonni

Banned
This reminds me that I gotta check today if I can find a reasonably priced used copy of Sands of Time for Gamecube. I had Warrior Within for Xbox, but pretty much hated it and never finished it, but from what I've heard Sands of Time is shit loads better.

No45

Hesemonni said:
This reminds me that I gotta check today if I can find a reasonably priced used copy of Sands of Time for Gamecube. I had Warrior Within for Xbox, but pretty much hated it and never finished it, but from what I've heard Sands of Time is shit loads better.
Warrior Within is OK if you can get past the emo Prince thing (I managed it... just), but yeah Sands of Time is just a much more beautiful setting. I never got around to the Two Thrones. :(

I need them to release an essential collection on the PS2 as I don't own any of these any more.

batbeg

No45 said:
Warrior Within is OK if you can get past the emo Prince thing (I managed it... just), but yeah Sands of Time is just a much more beautiful setting. I never got around to the Two Thrones. :(

I need them to release an essential collection on the PS2 as I don't own any of these any more.

They already did. A while ago. I need to get it too.

Sadist

No45 said:
EDIT: You might want to get rid of that scan (I think it's a crop from one of the scans anyway).
Uhm, it was on a site whom got it from gamefront.de. Is that worth a ban then?

Lobster

Banned
omg rite said:
... Seriously?

You should probably re-read what you originally quoted from me, then re-read your reply.

Cause ya kinda sound like an ass. :p

Eh I reread?

Once you see the pics you'll see why its not on Wii?

edit:apparently its a scan

This makes me see it as a perfect fit for Wii..this screenshot is pretty weak though..

edit:

just saw the scans...

Thats not really impressive..at all.

No45

Sadist said:
Uhm, it was on a site whom got it from gamefront.de. Is that worth a ban then?
I'm not sure, but best I can tell that's just a crop from one of the scans, no actual screenshots have been released as far as I know. I'm not a mod though, just a friendly suggestion (Better safe than sorry). :)

Cardon

Wow, based on those scans this game is looking really good. I wasn't a fan of the PoP games after SoT but I may be picking this one up if the new game mechanics are good.

Mikael Labatt, Warrior Within's Art Director is also art directing this game. Visually, the game looks MIGHTY impressive.

I'm 2-3 weeks away from finishing my stay at the Ubisoft Campus and I'm just giddy about working on one of the properties being developped at the Montreal studios! :D

hiryu

Game looks amazing visually. As someone said earlier it looks like a next gen strider. I'm loving next-gen cell shading.

omg rite said:
Holy shit that looks fantastic.

(To the Wii fans, once you see the pics, you'll understand why this isn't on Wii.)

But the DS does?

Listen, I KNOW the Wii doesn't usually get ports of games like this. I'm not complaining about that.

But is there any thing fucking wrong with wanting a built-from the ground up game for the Wii? The DS gets one, but the Wii doesn't? The 360 and PS3 can have this title, it looks awesome, and I'll buy it because it's built for those systems. But wouldn't it be cool for Wii only owners to have a seperate PoP game too?

jett

D-Member
Looks all right, the toon shading looks a little strange for me right now. May have to wait and see it in motion.

The-Switcher said:
But the DS does?

Listen, I KNOW the Wii doesn't usually get ports of games like this. I'm not complaining about that.

But is there any thing fucking wrong with wanting a built-from the ground up game for the Wii? The DS gets one, but the Wii doesn't? The 360 and PS3 can have this title, it looks awesome, and I'll buy it because it's built for those systems. But wouldn't it be cool for Wii only owners to have a seperate PoP game too?

The actual talent behind the PoP SoT Trilogy is making this game, and decided to make it for PS3/360/PC. Much like COD4 and AC, the DS version is different enough that it wouldn't harm the brand if it absolutely sucked. A watered down, unrelated version made by another dev team on PS2/PSP/Wii could potentially harm the brand if they were terrible enough.

Kind of like Double Agent on 360 compared to the superior Xbox version.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
day one on ps3 for me .....but damn ubi for hatin the wii....

Haunted

The art style (is that cel-shading or something else? It somehow reminds me of Okami.) looks really nice.

I don't care too much about the Prince's design, though. He needs a more playful look like in Sands of Time, imo.

And some of you guys, just stop your damn whining. It's PC/360/PS3 - if you don't have any of those, it's your fault. Just make another thread about Ubisoft's lack of PoP support instead of shitting up this one or something.

EDIT: Also, this thread is worthless without scans. NeoGAF has not become a better place since they've been forbidden. :(

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Cel-shading?
Cursed areas actually restore in real-time?
Any surface?
1001 Nights?
ZOROASTRIAN STORY OF AHURA MAZDA AND AHRIMAN!?

HYPE +10000000

Dever

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
I'll post some translation:

- Prince feels Amano-inspired. Looks like a celluloid/animated character (a bit like SFIV). The style itself is still in progress.
- Corrupted world needs to be healed.
- Story is much more "1001 Nights"-like, more fantasy, less grounded in reality but instead more magical yet still credible, more poetic.
- Player must unleash light-wells to heal the corrupted world, which shoots light into the sky, reminiscent of SotC and Okami.
- The transformation of the world is in real-time, with plants growing back to life as the world heals back and as the player can still move, instead of a mere cutscene, sky changes back to its normal color, etc., to give a strong sense of control and success to the player.
- No more time rewind and such.
- They are no making a second Assassin's Creed, they are making a new PoP.
- Art style was difficult pass through the management, but they never refused it, and eventually loved it.
- Story specifically: Orhmaz and Arhiman, twin gods, one good one evil, celestial battle, Orhmaz locks Arhiman away in a box which he hides into an faraway oasis deep within a desert. Centuries pass, and comes a troublesome thief (the prince) and Arhiman is freed somehow (not deep explanation given). Prince must undo his mistake. This is what they refer to as a more "1001 Nights" kind of story, like a fable.
- More open/organic environments. Has a Zelda-esque feel, old-school in themes.
- Bosses/player use backgrounds during fights (one shot shows an enemy pushing the prince against a wall as if trying to choke him, or another throwing him in the air).
- Game went through a few iterations; originally too open (felt big but not enough to do), at one point it was more like Assassin as far as open world (going where you want), but players would get lost and wander aimlessly and dynamism suffered as a result. Now instead it is more focussed with a clear road, but multiple paths can be taken (free to move from one map to another, back and forth, etc., more open than previous PoPs).
- The demo map shown to the journalist, old of a few months, has been scrapped design-wise because it was too Assassin-like, now it's more fantasy design-wise.
- Game world is made of nodes connected by paths, and you can go from one node to another as you wish (this is what they mean by less open, but non-linear; you can see the paths, but you don't have to going from A to B to C). The game adapts as a result (enemies from later visited locations might be more difficult, etc., for example zone A might be more difficult if you access it at the end, but if you accessed it at the beginning then it is easier, even bosses, depending on what order you fight them, adapt as such).
- Prince can slide along any walls using his glove. Game is as much vertical as horizontal.
- Prince has more possibilities of movement.
- Bosses inspired by MGS' boss quality; they are fewer but they have a story, a reason to be, they leave more of an impression on the player. Some are former nobles, sometimes acting against their will.
- They wondered if they should make just more enemies and try to do a God of War game and try to beat it on its own ground, or go for something different. They went with fewer enemies instead and a new combat style. Combats are duels. You can see the expression on the faces of the characters/bosses. Movement/action in fights is more like Advent Children, more cinematic in presentation.
- 140 people working on it, more to come, people from many projects.

That is all from me! I hope you guys will love the game!

Just saw this, hooooly shiiit. Sounds way awesome, especially the combat.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
yeah. maybe they're just talking a good game, but from the screenshots to the descriptions of what they're trying to do thematically ("more "1001 Nights"-like, more fantasy, less grounded in reality"), they just seem to be doing everything right. i really hope they're as successful pitching this one to the public as they've been with assassin's creed--if they put this much creativity into the game and then it tanks i will be certifiably crestfallen.

batbeg

You know, it does mention Assassin's Creed on the third page where it says Technologie. Same engine, or just random word spotting?

Seriously, this looks so freakin' hot. I need to buy the PoP games now.

Did the prince always have a claw for a hand/glove, by the way?

I love that windmill in the background on the fourth page :D Gives me hope for diverse locations.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
in the past games, no. the closest corollary i can see is that in the two thrones, you could use your dagger to stab metal plates to hang from walls, as well as stab those large vertical wall banners and slide down those. that seems to be sort of the function of the claw in this game, or, at least the latter seems to be something they're doing ("Prince can slide along any walls using his glove. Game is as much vertical as horizontal").

it's really encouraging to see so much of what they're saying deemphasizing combat and hyping movement and acrobatics.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wow, this is a total risk for Ubisoft. Very impressed. I wonder if they can find a way to run this through the hype machine like they did AC. I hope so, looks delicious.

Zapages

beelzebozo said:
yeah. maybe they're just talking a good game, but from the screenshots to the descriptions of what they're trying to do thematically ("more "1001 Nights"-like, more fantasy, less grounded in reality"), they just seem to be doing everything right. i really hope they're as successful pitching this one to the public as they've been with assassin's creed--if they put this much creativity into the game and then it tanks i will be certifiably crestfallen.

My problem is that its coming out in 7 to 8 months... Assassin's Creed had years of hype and that's why it sold well. As the casual audience became aware of the game.

But this is cell-shaded, the casual audience are even more jadded for cell-shaded then they are reality base. They will dismiss it as kiddy. That's what I am getting scarred of plus all of sudden its coming out type of situation. I would have thought maybe next 09 spring/summer/holiday season.. Not this year, as its really too close and doesn't have hype or it will result with hype all over the place and we would get sick and tired of that... You know what I mean right guys?

Honestly, we are the hard core gamers. But the casuals don't even know about this yet.... That's scary. I hope its not another SOT in terms of initial sales...

Dever

Banned
Does anyone know if I should play the first Prince of Persia games to understand the story? Doesn't really look like it, but I'm asking anyways.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
don't worry about playing past games to understand the story, but you should perhaps play them because they're quality. not a requirement, just a suggestion.

best case scenario, ubisoft understands that a.c. is their new cash cow, and p.o.p. can be a vanity project that earns them cachet with the core gaming audience, regardless of how it sells.

Zapages

Dever said:
Does anyone know if I should play the first Prince of Persia games to understand the story? Doesn't really look like it, but I'm asking anyways.

Nope... Brand new story and game. Unless you want to enjoy them for themselves.

First story Arc: Still not finished
Prince of Persia 1
Prince of Persia 2: The Shadow and the Flame
Prince of Persia 3D

Second Story Arc: Finished (Sands of Time Storyline)
Sands of Time
Battles of Prince of Persia
Warrior Within/Revalations
The Two Thrones/Rival Swords

Third Story Arc: Brand New:
Prince of Persia Prodigy *this one that is releasing this holiday season*

beelzebozo said:
don't worry about playing past games to understand the story, but you should perhaps play them because they're quality. not a requirement, just a suggestion.

best case scenario, ubisoft understands that a.c. is their new cash cow, and p.o.p. can be a vanity project that earns them cachet with the core gaming audience, regardless of how it sells.

That would be awesome... But I don't see it happening.

Haunted

I hope they come through on that 1001 nights/more fantasy oriented feel.

It's essential for Prince of Persia, and pretty much what was missing in the last two games.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Haunted One said:

It's essential for Prince of Persia, and pretty much what was missing in the last two games.

i attribute that change to mechner's purported involvement, to be honest.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Haunted One said:

We actually call it "fantasy Asian-American" now.

Eh. I guess it looks alright. I'm still going to buy it, but i think sticking to realistic graphics, with that kind of artstyle would've been better....

And bloom too. We cannot forget the bloom.

Dascu

This is the most impressive looking Ubisoft game in years. The art style is stunningly beautiful. I have not played a previous Prince of Persia, nor intend to play one, but I would certainly buy this, if I wasn't very bitter that this game is probably funded by all those shovelware Wii and DS games.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Haunted One said:
His lack of involvement, you mean. Is he on board for this one?

he filed for copyright on prince of persia prodigy less than a week ago iirc, so i'm sort of extrapolating from that. pure conjecture, but the new aesthetic and story screams mechner.

Top Bottom