• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Socom Screens - EGM blowout nest issue

J-Rzez

n1n9tean said:
I, for one, will happily buy both games. Because, at the very least, ONE of them is bound to be perfect. But, most likely, they will each tailor to our different desires for a Socom game. Maybe Zipper will keep going in the direction of S3 for people who may have enjoyed it but felt they could have done a better job of tightening/focusing the combat. Slant 6 is obviously creating Confrontation for us hardcore S2 players. It's a WIN/WIN, man! :D

Oh definitely. I'll be there day one for both. I'd do the same like for the release of S2 and S3 (meh), and burn up a pday or two.

I think Zipper is going to take the game in the direction that the hardcore may not like it. But, if it's a persistent battlefield, with S1/2 mechanics, they may come over to it. Actually, I do hope it is set up like that. Chromehounds was simple but effective with that, and I think Zipper can push that set up way beyond to a new level. Or maybe it'd be a MMO-type open-world experience? Who knows. That's another reason I want SOCOM:Conf to hit, so they'll finally leak the info's on the real SOCOM series. :lol

Greg

SOCOM has never been a powerhouse graphically.

Confrontation could be a cleaned up version of S2 and it would still play better than 99% of the shit on the market today.

cjelly said:
:lol at the people saying this looks better than GRAW. It's night and day.
GRAW has way more eye candy, but CONFRONTATION is definitely looking sharper and with a more appealing colour.

Graphicz!1 / Performance wise GRAW is leading obviously.

n1n9tean

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Oh definitely. I'll be there day one for both. I'd do the same like for the release of S2 and S3 (meh), and burn up a pday or two.

I think Zipper is going to take the game in the direction that the hardcore may not like it. But, if it's a persistent battlefield, with S1/2 mechanics, they may come over to it. Actually, I do hope it is set up like that. Chromehounds was simple but effective with that, and I think Zipper can push that set up way beyond to a new level. Or maybe it'd be a MMO-type open-world experience? Who knows. That's another reason I want SOCOM:Conf to hit, so they'll finally leak the info's on the real SOCOM series. :lol

Yea, and when you think about it, since we are going to buy both we'd want something to seperate them in some way to make them unique to each other. If Zipper is going all-out but still retaining the Socom FEEL and GAMEPLAY then I can have a ball with that right alonside Confrontation. Whatever they end up doing can be great fun; because, we will have our core Socom game in Confrontaion. You know, I think that's why they are doing it this way, actually; so, we won't have any reason to be upset with them. :D

Like I said, WIN/WIN. It works out for everyone.

We get:

-Socom classic.
-Socom in an evolved form.

I'd be happy to have both of those games in my collection.

S3 was something else in some other form. :lol (Though, I admit, I had a decent amount of fun with it. It just wasn't Socom. You understand).

JimiNutz

Banned
J-Rzez said:
No, GRAW tries to play like SOCOM. And SOCOM plays light-years better than GRAW.

Sorry, this series just isn't "another military shooter", this series is "Thee Military Shooter". GRAW was Ubisofts "wow, let's cash in on that" counter to this, and it no where near played as good.

SOCOM is one the most intense and competitive shooters I've ever played. It's no Respawn-o-rama, but it's not much of a campfest either (unless of course the mode calls for it). And it's as close to realistic behaving as any console shooter ever has been. It also has some of the most fun "game modes" out there like extraction, VIP's, demolition, and they feel done right, not just extras thrown in on top of deathmatch. And the SOCOM community feel-feature sets are absolutely 2nd to none.

Even though this isn't the full-fledged Zipper title, and just a PSN hold over, S6 seems to have taken great care to listen to the fans of the series, trying to bring it back to it's S1/S2 glory, along with maybe taking some of the weapon mods and clan match features of S3 (the main good things about that one).

I can't wait to have a SOCOM that runs and plays as solid and sure like R:FoM and Warhawk with it's dedicated servers... oh man, I just wet myself. And if ANY title screams HOME functionality, like say Warhawks proposed set up, this game is it.

recklessmind said:
Man... how do I answer this.

GRAW is more like Socom than the classic Ghost Recon games. What Red Storm Entertainment did with GRAW was try to make Socom. Unfortunately, they never really figured out what was so good about Socom and in the process they ruined everything that was great about Ghost Recon.

GRAW is a fucking abortion.

Geeze... I don't think I answered your question. Oh yeah... comparing GRAW's horribly crippled "I-love-to-wait-15mins-for-a-match-just-to-be-booted-at-the-round-start" online interface to Socom's nearly-perfect lobby system is another example of epic Ubisoft failure.

Hey, but that's just one guy's opinion.

shintoki said:
Depends...I would say Graw is between Socom 2-3. In terms of how good. They thing about Socom is also...They have become progressing worse each installment. 1 I will still say is my favorite online game todate. 2 was good. 3 was absolute ****. CA...Well...That doesn't exist >_>.
Every installment they go with more is better, bigger is better. Yet all that does is fuck up Socom even more.
So I would say take caution on anything with Socom anymore. Unless that is your type of thing

Cool. I was a pretty big GRAW fan but never played SOCOM. If SOCOM really is better than GRAW online sign me up day one. Will be keeping my eye on this.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Greg said:

Confrontation could be a cleaned up version of S2 and it would still play better than 99% of the shit on the market today.

Damn that is just making me quiver! Has it been said what is now the expected time frame for this game's release? Summer? Fall?

TAFKAA

Banned
Greg said:

This

Madman

Elbrain said:
Damn that is just making me quiver! Has it been said what is now the expected time frame for this game's release? Summer? Fall?
Summer and Fall. One claim is Summer, the other is Q4. In order for both to be true, Confrontation has to come in the Summer, and the full Socom in Fall. But the truth could just be either Summer or Fall for Confrontation.

BeeDog

Surprisingly enough, I haven't tested any of the previous SOCOM games, so dunno where to place my hype; do they play something along the lines of America's Army or such? Or is it a bit more arcade-y?

Vyer

I haven't really kept up with this. You guys are saying 'PSN'. This game is getting a big disc release, right?

Vyer said:
I haven't really kept up with this. You guys are saying 'PSN'. This game is getting a big disc release, right?

It was originally slated to be released similar to Warhawk. Both on PSN, and in stores bundled with a headset.

Madman

Vyer said:
I'm pretty sure it will get a BD release.

It's called a PSN game because it took about a year and a half to make from a small team. It is a "budget" title(not "budget" in terms of quality, but rather the cost and scope of the project compared to a "full" next gen title).

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
BeeDog said:
Surprisingly enough, I haven't tested any of the previous SOCOM games, so dunno where to place my hype; do they play something along the lines of America's Army or such? Or is it a bit more arcade-y?

This is actually a hard question to answer.

Socom is probably the most "arcadey" of all the "hardcore" military shooters... but it's still the most realistic.

Yeah, kind of paradoxical... I know.

What it comes down to is that games like Ghost Recon (the original) restricted player movement far too much. It was never realistic how you couldn't move laterally... but it did make sense why they did that. Socom let you run and strafe and you could shoot while moving... so, yeah... that's arcadey... but it was still grounded on realworld rules. I always thought that Socom felt natural, and other games felt kind of gimped.

Socom wasn't perfect. It was just better than everything else.

Doel

Greg said:

I completely agree.

And yes, these were already posted in the SOCOM Confrontation thread. But I'm not going to complain. The more SOCOM topics the better :D

Greg

BeeDog said:
That's actually pretty damn tough to answer - I'll try though.

The game is faster-paced than any of the other games that took the simulation route, but it is definitely not an arcade title as it still remains the most tactical out of all of the other games I've played. It was realistic enough to eliminate the majority of those 'fuck, that doesn't happen in real life' moments, but included elements that let you know you were playing a game with its best intentions of remaining accessible and fun.

The interesting part about the game was that it was so dynamic online - most online games have maps and modes that dictate the pace at which you should be playing (meaning that the player has to adjust their playstyle because the given map/mode says so), but SOCOM allowed you to accomplish the task at hand at whatever pace you wanted, regardless of the map or mode you were playing on. The same map and mode could take 20 minutes to finish a match, but it could also take 1 1/2 hours... and that's something you don't see a whole lot of anymore.

That's the best I can explain it without rambling off specific examples of what the game allowed you to do - hopefully that will pique your interest a bit.

Doel

Kyoufu said:
It looks really good, gonna have to see what the fuss is about SOCOM, since I never played the PS2 games.
People like you bring a smile to my face because you have NO idea what you're in for.

If Confrontation does indeed retain the feel of the first two SOCOM titles with a smooth frame rate and great visuals to boot, it will blow your mind. I've always been a huge advocate of this franchise and hated the fact that it seemed so ignored in the media.

In August 2002, before XBLive even hit, SOCOM 1 shipped with voice chat support, clan support, dedicated servers, perfectly set up lobbies, and a unique feel unlike any other shooter before it. This all shipped alongside the PS2 network adapter, a peripheral that no one in the media at the time thought had a chance at succeeding. SOCOM sold that thing for Sony and turned it into a success and an opportunity for other developers to create a game on the PS2 with online support.

Where games like Battlefield 1942, Rainbow Six, Quake, Unreal Tournament, Team Fortress, etc, we always heard about people in the media talking about everyone playing these games around the office, but you never heard that about SOCOM. I think the simple fact that it was on the PS2 and not on Xbox Live or a PC (though the PC market isn't really suited for it) is a large part of reason for this. The media just never considered the PS2 to be much of an online machine, so a game like SOCOM went largely unnoticed despite it's amazing sales and huge community following.

I will give a shout out to a few people in the media who have given this game credit. Joe Rybicki formally of OPM and freelancer for 1up, N'Gai Croal of Newsweek, John Davison formally of 1up, and Garnett Lee of 1up.

Madman

Doel said:
People like you bring a smile to my face because you have NO idea what you're in for.

If Confrontation does indeed retain the feel of the first two SOCOM titles with a smooth frame rate and great visuals to boot, it will blow your mind. I've always been a huge advocate of this franchise and hated the fact that it seemed so ignored in the media.

In August 2002, before XBLive even hit, SOCOM 1 shipped with voice chat support, clan support, dedicated servers, perfectly set up lobbies, and a unique feel unlike any other shooter before it. This all shipped alongside the PS2 network adapter, a peripheral that no one in the media at the time thought had a chance at succeeding. SOCOM sold that thing for Sony and turned it into a success and an opportunity for other developers to create a game on the PS2 with online support.

Where games like Battlefield 1942, Rainbow Six, Quake, Unreal Tournament, Team Fortress, etc, we always heard about people in the media talking about everyone playing these games around the office, but you never heard that about SOCOM. I think the simple fact that it was on the PS2 and not on Xbox Live or a PC (though the PC market isn't really suited for it) is a large part of reason for this. The media just never considered the PS2 to be much of an online machine, so a game like SOCOM went largely unnoticed despite it's amazing sales and huge community following.

I will give a shout out to a few people in the media who have given this game credit. Joe Rybicki formally of OPM and freelancer for 1up, N'Gai Croal of Newsweek, John Davison formally of 1up, and Garnett Lee of 1up.
I know that the first two Socoms had tons of acclaim, huge sales, and logged a shitload (no better word for it) of hours online by it's players, but it really never got that media attention that other series get. Since you seem to be pretty into the series (I have only tried a short demo and that was a long time ago), why do you think that is? Do you think the death of the Dreamcast (and the anger that ensued) could have something to do with it?

Doel

Madman said:
I know that the first two Socoms had tons of acclaim, huge sales, and logged a shitload (no better word for it) of hours online by it's players, but it really never got that media attention that other series get. Since you seem to be pretty into the series (I have only tried a short demo and that was a long time ago), why do you think that is? Do you think the death of the Dreamcast (and the anger that ensued) could have something to do with it?
I think its because it was on PS2 and required the network adapter.

It came out just before XBLive, and once that hit it got all the attention and the PS2 was never really viewed as an online machine.

Evolved1

Here's what happened with Socom: It wasn't Battlefield.

The media at the time was completely fixated on Battlefield (PC) and if you go back and read all the coverage from the Socom launch (it was very well received) you'll notice all the media outlets soon started to shift their focus from very positive impressions of what Socom was doing so well, to everything it wasn't doing - even though it was never meant to do those things.

- When are you going to do vehicals?

- Are we going to get more players?

- Why aren't there any grenade launchers and huge explosions?

- Are you guys ever going to do bigger maps?

And blah, blah, blah... they wanted Socom:Battlefield. I personally blame that pressure from retarded gaming media for the franchise's shift away from Socom I style gameplay and features. I believe Zipper was eventually convinced that those shitty changes were necessary. They listened to the clamoring casuals instead of the hardcore Socom base and the games have never been the same. After spoiling the greatest online console game of all time, the media coverage dried up (unless a new one was be released, and then the coverage was just weaksauce talking about the new bulletpoints like vehicles and more players, or how well the games sell) and they moved onto other games like they always do.

Gattsu25

Banned
recklessmind said:

The media at the time was completely fixated on Battlefield (PC) and if you go back and read all the coverage from the Socom launch (it was very well received) you'll notice all the media outlets soon started to shift their focus from very positive impressions of what Socom was doing so well, to everything it wasn't doing - even though it was never meant to do those things.

And blah, blah, blah... they wanted Socom:Battlefield. I personally blame that pressure from retarded gaming media for the franchise's shift away from Socom I style gameplay and features. I believe Zipper was eventually convinced that those shitty changes were necessary. They listened to the clamoring casuals instead of the hardcore Socom base and the games have never been the same. After spoiling the greatest online console game of all time, the media coverage dried up (unless a new one was be released, and then the coverage was just weaksauce talking about the new bulletpoints like vehicles and more players, or how well the games sell) and they moved onto other games like they always do.
That was definitely a huge part of it

Doel

recklessmind said:

I think that was a part of it too. But that didn't seem to stop games like Rainbow Six 3 Black Arrow from getting major media attention. I don't know if the pressure is on them to do the same or if for some reason there is a double standard and the media understands that RS is about tactical squad play in small locations and thats ok, but for SOCOM it isn't ok.

I don't know. But whatever it is, the majority of these publications haven't seem to give SOCOM the recognition and respect it deserves.

Madman

Doel said:
I think its because it was on PS2 and required the network adapter.

It came out just before XBLive, and once that hit it got all the attention and the PS2 was never really viewed as an online machine.
I can see what you mean. I never really viewed my PS2 as an online machine myself, so I can definitely agree with that sentiment.

recklessmind said:

This I agree with as well. I can't tell you how many times I saw the words "CoD 4" and "perks" in the Resistance 2 thread. It seems like as soon as gamers experience one thing, they want it applied to every game possible.

Resistance doesn't need perks. Socom did not need vehicles and all the extras that came along in the series. But people and the media will denounce games that are "missing" what they think it needs instead of trying to understand the appeal of the game itself without those extras. It's really an annoyance to fans of the series who thought the game needed little change, and instead have to deal with the developer giving in to outside pressure. It's not really the fault of the developer. If they want favorable reviews and press coverage, they have to give in to what the media wants. It should be the other way around, where the media tries to understand what the developer is trying to achieve instead of making developers pander to the media. Perhaps as the industry matures, we will see less of this.

f3niks

Y2Kev said:
Just hope it holds 12 fps.

I feel the same way but the framerate and graphics in the original socoms looked like ass and I still continured to play. I'm hoping that be the case with Confrontation.

EDIT: Beaten

Evolved1

f3niks said:
I feel the same way but the framerate and graphics in the original socoms looked like ass and I still continured to play. I'm hoping that be the case with Confrontation.

I think over the past couple years I've gotten to where I let framey games ruin my enjoyment of them... dude, I don't even like occasional hiccups.

I really hope Socom is locked in... it really needs to be.

Madman said:
This I agree with as well. I can't tell you how many times I saw the words "CoD 4" and "perks" in the Resistance 2 thread. It seems like as soon as gamers experience one thing, they want it applied to every game possible.

Resistance doesn't need perks. Socom did not need vehicles and all the extras that came along in the series. But people and the media will denounce games that are "missing" what they think it needs instead of trying to understand the appeal of the game itself without those extras. It's really an annoyance to fans of the series who thought the game needed little change, and instead have to deal with the developer giving in to outside pressure. It's not really the fault of the developer. If they want favorable reviews and press coverage, they have to give in to what the media wants. It should be the other way around, where the media tries to understand what the developer is trying to achieve instead of making developers pander to the media. Perhaps as the industry matures, we will see less of this.

Well said.

f3niks

recklessmind said:
I think over the past couple years I've gotten to where I let framey games ruin my enjoyment of them... dude, I don't even like occasional hiccups.

I really hope Socom is locked in... it really needs to be.

Well said.

I can understand where you are coming from there because I really do enjoy how silky smooth CoD4 runs. I'm taking the wait and see attitude towards this game and not overhype myself about this the way I did with Socom 3.

Top Bottom