• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New study estimates college football team valuations, three teams are over $1 billion

Cyan

Banned
Try free tutoring, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, gym memberships, personal training, room and board, apparel and coaching.

Ohh and not to mention football and maybe basketball have to pay for every other sport.

Boggles my mind how every time this comes up how ignorant people are of college sports.

A. the players don't have it that bad.
B. you just can't pay them due to Title IX
C. Probably be worse off if you did pay them anyways.

1. Decouple farm league football from universities.
2. Have endowments pay for club sports or whatever who cares.
3. End capitalism.

Bronx-Man

Banned
You ever tried balancing having 15 credit hours a semester with a decent job? Now add non-stop gym training and football practice on top of that.

You ever triedbalancing having 15 credit hours a semester with a decent job? Now add non-stop gym training and football practice on top of that.

It's the fucking worst. And I only ran track, but, yeah. My grades suffered tremendously. Still amazed I made it out with not one, but two degrees.

Kelsdesu

giphy.gif

Criminal enterprise.

TheContact

It’s ever business owners dream to have your employees work for free. But that’s illegal. Or apparently it isn’t.

Chichikov

you just can't pay them due to Title IX
People have responded to other parts of your post, I will focus on this since I see this talking point all the time (I wonder which PR firm that don't work for scholarships came up with this for the NCAA), and it's just bullshit.

There is really no reason to believe that the courts would strike paying players, and courts upheld that the pay gap between male and female coaches does not violate Tittle IX.
Also, Title IX is not a law of nature, it's just a law, it can be amended and it had been a ton of times already.

nasax

How many of those top 50 schools are in the south? From just a quick glance, like 60+%? It's not surprising since football is king down here.

Supha_Volt

Neo Member
They have been ranking in the playoff rankings every week of their existence thus far, and an absolutely absurd bowl win percentage over the last couple decades.

It is well deserved.
That's true. I figured they'd be top 50 but more towards the 50 area than 39. Still good to see tho

BajiBoxer

Banned
Because they have consistently underperformed for the last decade or so probably.

If they make a playoff I imagine they will shoot up.

Yeah. The Reggie Bush sanctions did a number on that program, and they never managed to hire a high quality coach since Carroll bailed. Maybe Helton will keep them on an upward trajectory.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
1. Decouple farm league football from universities.
2. Have endowments pay for club sports or whatever who cares.
3. End capitalism.

In a vacuum this would make way more sense and get over/side step a lot of the issues that come up due to it being tied to collegiant athletics.

If it was just the NFL or NBA minor league it would work better.

That ain't ever gonna fly though. CFB ain't going anywhere.

I think the best first step is to allow players to make money off their own likeness.

shira

You ever tried balancing having 15 credit hours a semester with a decent job? Now add non-stop gym training and football practice on top of that.
Basket weaving courses with tutors to write your papers and teachers to prep your exams.

Try free tutoring, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, gym memberships, personal training, room and board, apparel and coaching.

Ohh and not to mention football and maybe basketball have to pay for every other sport.

Boggles my mind how every time this comes up how ignorant people are of college sports.

Most lunch plans are a set amount a month that can be used however the student wants until it's depleted to include getting breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Can't speak for your school but gym membership was included in my tuition.

Coaching?...I'd sure fucking hope the athlete was getting coached bruh.

And to the bold, yea you're quite ignorant.

In a vacuum this would make way more sense and get over/side step a lot of the issues that come up due to it being tied to collegiant athletics.

If it was just the NFL or NBA minor league it would work better.

That ain't ever gonna fly though. CFB ain't going anywhere.

I think the best first step is to allow players to make money off their own likeness.

Absolutely.

That list you rattled off probably meant something in your head as you typed it, but it reads like a vulgar joke after you read the hundreds of millions these colleges are making off these kids.

Youre talking about crumbs of compensation for people bringing in a war chest of revenue.

(and no, I dont care how comparatively "good" you think they have it compared to the average student.)

What's the point of collegiate football? Players don't just play for the sport, its their life. How much do they actually care about the education the institution provides?
On the other side though, college football pays bills at the school. So why is college so damn expensive?
I have so many questions and don't know how best to ask them.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
In order, I guessed Texas, Ohio State and Alabama. Oklahoma kinda shocked me.

Living in Oklahoma, that doesn't surprise me at all.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn they were worth more than the OKC Thunder. I don't know if that's true, but it wouldn't surprise me.

The idea that players don't have licensing rights on jerseys and likeness disgusts me.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that many people like the number 10? Or do you think it's because the QB is wearing the number 10?

jdstorm

Banned
Unless you make the contracts guaranteed money, which the NFL doesn't even really do (unless you're a franchise player), these kids are going to get processed a lot faster to make room for more "scholarships". These kids are going to be out on their asses even earlier in their lives, and this time without a degree.

I think they should be compensated in some way, but if it turns into NFL Lite with big contracts and kids being cut/fired on a weekly basis, I'm not sure people are going to be happy with the change.

It's a discussion that needs to be had, but I don't think the answer is as easy as some people believe.

Actually the answer is incredibly easy.

Kids get their food, clothing and board + a degree and the ability to make money from endorsements that don't interfear with existing college sponsorships ie aparell ect.

Problem is that would never happen because the reason Student Athletes aren't paid is so that NCAA schools can continue to avoid paying tax on income generated from college sports.

What's the point of collegiate football? Players don't just play for the sport, its their life. How much do they actually care about the education the institution provides?
On the other side though, college football pays bills at the school. So why is college so damn expensive?

The answer to these and all questions is greed.

Sulik2

These are just teams. Not even the league, but individual teams.

Pay these kids, man.

And Roll Tide to all those teams being so valuable but not being able to top the giant in Tuscaloosa.

Bama spends too much money on players to be at the top of the list.

Loxley

I've been to the UT Knoxville campus a number of times and yeah, that whole place is basically one giant shrine to their football team.

Kill3r7

That is true for about a third of D1 programs. If they kept regular books and report booster money, tax payer subsidies, mendatory student funding, you would quickly find out that many programs lose money. Heck even with "cooked" books programs still lose money. With respect to why college is so expensive, take a look at your local state school's annual budget.

Das Ace

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serfdom

Arc

Is this list a fucking joke????

What does "probably worse off" even mean? Title IX isn't an issue I'd you let players make money on their likeness. The school's softball team can do the same thing.

Always someone coming in to defend College balls shitty practices. These players DESERVE to be paid. Hell if someones going to use my likeness to make bank and all I get is a scholarship.

matthieuC

So I play college football for one of these teams, and something you guys might not know is the scholarship players do kind of get paid on top of free tuition, room and board. This is through monthly stipends. It's nearly $2k a month. That's pretty damn good in my opinion. I'd be pretty happy with that.

Beartruck

I can believe Ohio state is that valuable. Columbus OH lacks a professional team, so everyone there is fucking crazy for them.

Slo

So I play college football for one of these teams, and something you guys might not know is the scholarship players do kind of get paid on top of free tuition, room and board. This is through monthly stipends. It's nearly $2k a month. That's pretty damn good in my opinion. I'd be pretty happy with that.

Do non-scholarship guys get that stipend?

Cagey

Banned
People have responded to other parts of your post, I will focus on this since I see this talking point all the time (I wonder which PR firm that don't work for scholarships came up with this for the NCAA), and it's just bullshit.

There is really no reason to believe that the courts would strike paying players, and courts upheld that the pay gap between male and female coaches does not violate Tittle IX.
Also, Title IX is not a law of nature, it's just a law, it can be amended and it had been a ton of times already.
Title IX scholarship balances ("opportunities") between genders are very strict. Pay would need to be close to equalized across the genders in sports to pass muster right now.

There's certainly reason to believe paying only football players or male basketball players, or paying all but them disproportionately, would violate Title IX as currently written. Thus the need for amending.

Using it as reason to defeat paying college athletes is a disingenuous concern but it's not a false one.

Top Bottom