• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

Zing

Banned
The best miiverse message so far: "two words: eat poop bowser"

The challenge modes really prove that the level design and enemy placement was made with care. While speed running through a level, there is usually that one block or goomba you need for a boost to keep moving. It's great.

jnWake

The challenges in this are very tough. I managed to get a gold medal in all of them except in "Don't. Touch. Anything.". That one is ridiculous.

EDIT: And I did it! So hard.

If you're going for Gold in all challenges I suggest you use the Spin Jump for short tricky jumps. Works great, especially if you need to avoid coins.

Sorry for the cross-post, just found the official thread and wanted to put my feedback here where it belonged in the first place:

I'm always late to the party with video games, but just completed New Super Mario Bros. U (all star coins) last night. My verdict: another enjoyable entry to the series. Nintendo did play it a little on the safe side, but the squirrel suit was fun, some of the newer ideas were cool (crazy pendulum action), the levels had a good amount of variety, and the star levels were a fun challenge.

My only real gripes are: 1) the challenge suddenly ramped up at Rock Candy Mines (not a big deal, but a more gradual curve would have been appreciated), and 2) I really want a way to turn off the assistant feature. I don't ever want to see another assistant pop up again. I don't mind the feature being there for people who cannot beat a certain challenge, but I would really like a way to disable it.

Short version: if you enjoy platformers, you'll enjoy this game.

((Off to play next game I'll be LTTP with))

Grinchy

Banned
My brother very randomly decided to buy a Wii U tonight. The only bundle they had at the store was the Mario/Luigi U bundle, and he didn't feel like going somewhere else or waiting for shipping, so he bought it.

The only gripe so far is that he bought a Pro controller so we could player 2 player without realizing it can't let you do that, Starfox. We were a little pissed off, but once we started just taking turns with the Pro controller and gamepad, we were having fun. It's just so entertaining to be helpful for a while with the gamepad and then purposely time a block so that your partner bumps into it mid jump and dies.

So far it feels like a pretty cool system. I've wanted one for a while for 3D World and MK8, so maybe I'll pick one up for myself too.

Grinchy

Banned
I've been enjoying this game a lot. It's been a long time since I played a Mario game, so it's very cool to get to play a new one like this. My only complaints are that most of the music is just terrible and that it pauses the game for a moment when players die. I don't understand that pause at all. I play with my brother and we have a ton of fun but we both agree that the pause sucks.

But when those are the only complaints, you know the game is good.

Deku Tree

I've been enjoying this game a lot. It's been a long time since I played a Mario game, so it's very cool to get to play a new one like this. My only complaints are that most of the music is just terrible and that it pauses the game for a moment when players die. I don't understand that pause at all. I play with my brother and we have a ton of fun but we both agree that the pause sucks.

But when those are the only complaints, you know the game is good.

Yup

After getting this game at launch I FINALLY cleared Superstar Road (Fire Bar Cliffs and Pendulum Castle - UGH), and got all the star coins. After getting the last one, I sat back to await my reward and...just a statement saying you got all the star coins. Then the game keeps going.

That's it? Really!?

Deku Tree

After getting this game at launch I FINALLY cleared Superstar Road (Fire Bar Cliffs and Pendulum Castle - UGH), and got all the star coins. After getting the last one, I sat back to await my reward and...just a statement saying you got all the star coins. Then the game keeps going.

That's it? Really!?

The reward is in the challenge my friend.

The reward is in the challenge my friend.

Actually, it was pretty good. After finishing Pendulum Castle I felt like some kind of gaming deity (thank you based pro controller) so now I'm tackling Super Ghouls n' Ghosts, at least until I get my copy of Super Luigi U back from the person I lent it to.

Ok am I doing something wrong or what?

I want to play with a friend and I only have a Wii U pad and 1 extra wii-mote. Every time I try to play co-op it only allows the players with the wii-mote be 1st player and the Wii U pad player a booster. What the fuck? am I doing something wrong? I certainly hope so because this is really bad :|.

MrDaravon

My wife and I just picked up the Wii U bundle with this a few days ago (I was pleasantly surprised to see that Mario + Luigi U came both on one disc in a proper retail disc!). We're playing co-op and we're towards the end of World 2, and we both feel like the controls are laggy/sluggish, are we crazy? It's bad enough where I switched to singleplayer using the Gamepad to see maybe if it was some kind of problem with our wiimotes, but feels the same with the gamepad. Is this just something you get used to? We beat NSMB Wii co-op no problems so I don't think we're totally crazy.

Ok am I doing something wrong or what?

I want to play with a friend and I only have a Wii U pad and 1 extra wii-mote. Every time I try to play co-op it only allows the players with the wii-mote be 1st player and the Wii U pad player a booster. What the fuck? am I doing something wrong? I certainly hope so because this is really bad :|.

You can't use the Gamepad in multiplayer as a main controller. It's incredibly stupid, I didn't even know about (we just bought the game) until I saw a thread on the Gaming side complaining about it a few days ago.

How do you get 2 player working? I have a Gamepad and a Wii U Controller Pro. tried to do 2 player, and it asks how many players. I choose 2, then it shows the screen where you push start on each one to have them join. But both the gamepad and the Wii U Pro Controller seem to be controlling the first guy, and I can't get the second guy to join. The light on the Pro controller is on the first slot, so maybe I need to move it to the second slot somehow? I'm not sure how though, just got the wii U and set it up today.

Edit: Derp, literally the post above this. So if I buy a second Wii U Pro Controller, it should work?

Deku Tree

How do you get 2 player working? I have a Gamepad and a Wii U Controller Pro. tried to do 2 player, and it asks how many players. I choose 2, then it shows the screen where you push start on each one to have them join. But both the gamepad and the Wii U Pro Controller seem to be controlling the first guy, and I can't get the second guy to join. The light on the Pro controller is on the first slot, so maybe I need to move it to the second slot somehow? I'm not sure how though, just got the wii U and set it up today.

Edit: Derp, literally the post above this. So if I buy a second Wii U Pro Controller, it should work?

Not sure if it works with two pro controllers. Check before you buy. It works with multiple wii motes everyone having the same controller for certain.

Celegus

I haven't messed with the extra modes yet or Luigi DLC, but just finished up the main mode last night (got the game free with MK8). All the star coins, all the levels, 5 star save file. The only other "New" Mario game I've played was the original DS one, but it looks like they took the hint about that one being way too easy. Some of the later levels (Pendulum Castle!) were pretty tough!

Overall I liked it a lot more than I was really expecting to. I may have to check out the Better Bro DLC.

Volotaire

This is my first New Super Mario Bros, I got it a week ago. It isn't nearly as terrible as people make it out to be. I have some frustrations with level design and some enemy design, but it also does not look too bad either. I love all the bonus collectibles, content and challenge levels, combined with the 3D Mario stats and polish. It reminds me of Super Mario Bros Deluxe in the Challenge mode, and the Nabbit races remind me of the vs. Boo races in Deluxe too.

Deku Tree

This is my first New Super Mario Bros, I got it a week ago. It isn't nearly as terrible as people make it out to be. I have some frustrations with level design and some enemy design, but it also does not look too bad either. I love all the bonus collectibles, content and challenge levels, combined with the 3D Mario stats and polish. It reminds me of Super Mario Bros Deluxe in the Challenge mode, and the Nabbit races remind me of the vs. Boo races in Deluxe too.

Yup fantastic game.

Socreges

Banned
I thought it's been received pretty positively? I love it, myself. Biggest complaint would be the lack of actual "New" in the series at this point.

Volotaire

I thought it's been received pretty positively? I love it, myself. Biggest complaint would be the lack of actual "New" in the series at this point.

Perhaps terrible wasn't the word to use, but 'bland', 'lifeless', 'passable' are better terms other people use on GAF and a few other websites. I'll definitely look into the Wii version, and maybe the NSMB2 if it goes for very cheap. I just wish Nintendo could give the 2D platforming Mario series to a team of EAD caliber. Alas, they are relegated to 3D Mario and spin offs (Captain Toad).

EDIT: Not relegated, focusing on!

Sagitario

Perhaps terrible wasn't the word to use, but 'bland', 'lifeless', 'passable' are better terms other people use on GAF and a few other websites. I'll definitely look into the Wii version, and maybe the NSMB2 if it goes for very cheap. I just wish Nintendo could give the 2D platforming Mario series to a team of EAD caliber. Alas, they are relegated to 3D Mario and spin offs (Captain Toad).

NSMBU was made by EAD. You might not like the art style, but the platforming/level design and controls are excellent. Those are the most important things for a platformer.

And EAD Tokyo relegated? You seriously think the Galaxy and 3D World series are products of less importance?
And if the game is good, it doesn't matter if it's an spin-off. The engine and gameplay base are already there, so I doubt Captain Toad is taking all of Tokyo's resources anyway.

Volotaire

NSMBU was made by EAD. You might not like the art style, but the platforming/level design and controls are excellent. Those are the most important things for a platformer.

And EAD Tokyo relegated? You seriously think the Galaxy and 3D World series are products of less importance?
And if the game is good, it doesn't matter if it's an spin-off. The engine and gameplay base are already there, so I doubt Captain Toad is taking all of Tokyo's resources anyway.

Sorry, I didn't mean relegated in the negative sense. Wrong choice of word. By EAD, I meant EAD Tokyo too. I wasn't talking negatively about Captain Toad either, I'm really excited for that. Sorry for the misinterpretation on my part with the words.

True, the platforming is mostly great and it controls excellently, but I was hoping for the next evolution of 2D Mario from them. Not to say it wasn't an great game. But maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way round. Super Mario 3D World and Land is perhaps the next evolution of 2D Mario I was looking for.

Finally got round to doing star road having gone through and completed the remaining levels with all golden coins.

Star road is phenomenal. Thoroughly enjoyed my time with the game.

The fact they never released a patch to allow for Gamepad and Pro controller to be used in proper NSMBU multiplayer is rediculous.

That said, one of my favorite Mario games ever. Tight level design, great power ups (Squirrel suit and Blue Yoshi's bubbles are insanely fun) and all the secret exits and Star Road really made it feel like a modern SMW. Getting all coins and 5 shiny stars on both my NSMBU & LU files was very satisfying.

Pyrokai

I haven't beat this completely, but I bought NSLU and played a couple of levels...and then went back in NSMBU and started 3-star coining levels.

Game is SO mcuh better than when you're just going through the motions.

Man, I couldn't agree more. I bought this game about a year ago and played it only once with some of my friends and got to world three. I never played it again after that...until just a few days ago when I started a new file by myself.

The game is so much better when playing alone, and I'm really surprised at the difficulty level. I just beat world 2 and I'm completely surprised at how difficult it is already. It's not super hard, but it is harder than any previous world 2 NSMB game.

Anyway, I'm not rushing through it and I'm playing at two or three levels and night and enjoying the hell out of it.

I have a couple questions though: did they really remove the "hold a power-up"option? I'm actually super glad they did because it increases the difficulty--I'm just completely in awe that they actually removed it!

Also, that world 2 mid-point castle.... Right before you get to the boss door.... I'm using the Pro controller and had to switch to the Pad just to get to the top part where the door was. Is this game not able to be 100% completed without using the GamePad? I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but that would have taken some master level wall jumping to reach the final door of that castle, LOL. What's up with that?

Also, that world 2 mid-point castle.... Right before you get to the boss door.... I'm using the Pro controller and had to switch to the Pad just to get to the top part where the door was. Is this game not able to be 100% completed without using the GamePad? I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but that would have taken some master level wall jumping to reach the final door of that castle, LOL. What's up with that?

Actually one of those green pipes below the two crushing walls was a canon that just blasts you up to the top.
Fortunately the game wont ever require you to use the GamePad's boost blocks, that'd be kinda awkward.

Pyrokai

Actually one of those green pipes below the two crushing walls was a canon that just blasts you up to the top.
Fortunately the game wont ever require you to use the GamePad's boost blocks, that'd be kinda awkward.

Oh....I'm so stupid >.<

Thanks for the tip! Haha

ramparter

Banned
Playing this game currently, it's better than I expected, definetely I'm liking it more than the Wii one. The fact that they have replaced waggle with ZR helps a lot.

I have to mention I only play the necessary levels to get the job done, and most of the time I don't get all the coins. I realized it's more fun that way, attempting to 100% every world as you go can be tiring and make you not want to keep on. I'll leave that for another time probably.

Anyway I just wanted to say it's a really good game overall.

Top Bottom