• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

farnham

Banned
Finally beat bowser. It was definately better than the 3DS game which i finished sometime last year. now i gotta play the bonus levels and get all star coins and dig into the challenge levels but I will probably give it a few month rest before i pick it up again.

MegalonJJ

Banned
I couldn't find this info in the OP, so thought I'd ask here.

Does anyone know what the eShop download size is of this game?

It's £49.99 but I'd like to have it as a DD provided it's not too big.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Cheers man, just finished downloading it.

Looks so crisp and beautiful!

Says there's an update too, but I haven't installed it yet. I'm guessing it's Miiverse support right?

zroid

Banned
I guess I neglected to mention I finally got a chance to try the co-op challenges last month. Oh man, they're so much fun. AND SO HARD.

Yuterald

Just returned to some of the Challenges after months of neglect and they're pretty ridiculous. Getting Golds in this stuff seems harder to me than Shiny Gold Medals in DKCR (which was pretty damn hard). I've only scratched the surface with this mode. Got a handful of Golds in the Time Attack/Trial section, but unless I devote some mad time into this, I don't see myself completing this shit anytime soon! Game's got some mad value, at least.

KIDtpRi.jpg

Finshed the game up today, can't wait for the Luigi DLC.

So, my fiancee used to enjoy Super Mario Bros when she was a kid. We have a Wii U and are thinking about getting NSMBU to play together, but I'm wondering if it'd be better to wait for the retail release of New Super Luigi U instead. Does anyone have any input on this? NSLU will be $30 new as opposed to the $50-60 I'd spend on NSMBU, but I'm worried that NSLU is a more hardcore/more difficult variation on NSMBU, and I'd rather error on the side of "easier" for my fiancee's sake.

Only looking to get one or the other, not both. Any input based on your experiences with NSMBU and what we/you know about NSLU?

So, my fiancee used to enjoy Super Mario Bros when she was a kid. We have a Wii U and are thinking about getting NSMBU to play together, but I'm wondering if it'd be better to wait for the retail release of New Super Luigi U instead. Does anyone have any input on this? NSLU will be $30 new as opposed to the $50-60 I'd spend on NSMBU, but I'm worried that NSLU is a more hardcore/more difficult variation on NSMBU, and I'd rather error on the side of "easier" for my fiancee's sake.

Only looking to get one or the other, not both. Any input based on your experiences with NSMBU and what we/you know about NSLU?

Based on what's been shown that seems to be the case, with the time limit set at 100, harsher level design, and Luigi back to controlling kinda like he does in SMB2.

Based on what's been shown that seems to be the case, with the time limit set at 100, harsher level design, and Luigi back to controlling kinda like he does in SMB2.

That's the rough impression I'm getting.

Hmm... NSMBU definitely seems the better choice then. I can always get NSLU later for $20 as a download down the road.

Claneko

My wife got me the WiiU and this game for my birthday a few weeks ago. After completing this game, and then working to find all the secrets and finish all the alternate exits, the star road, etc...I have to say.... I love this game just a bit...just a bit less than Super Mario World.

For me that is a lot. My lineup of favorite Mario games is now: 1. SMW, 2. NSMBU, 3. SM3DL, 4. SMB, and 5. SMRPG

Great, game; love the hell out of it. I was a little worried after playing NSMB2 last summer and being just a bit disappointed in it. (still a good game though, just not great to me)

Himself

Something strange happened today. I walked into a gamestop and the Wii U unit had this game playing and I was...impressed.

Backstory is I'm an adamant NSMB series hater. I'm one of the folks who thinks the DS and Wii games are totally half-assed, uninspired and boring to play. They lack thoughtful level design, have zero creativity in visual design, and too much reliance on old Mario tropes. Not enough new ideas. Not enough new worlds. But this NSMBU...looks colorful, more imaginative, even the snippets made it some like a bit more thought went into level design this time around.

So, any NSMB haters care to comment? Does NSMB U address some of your frustrations with the series? Or was I just under some sort of spell for a moment there? Can my fiancée who is awful at games still have fun like making platforms appear or whatever?

Because I almost kind of want to buy this game now. Those challenges sound pretty fun, too.

Too bad about no online co-op what the fuck is up with that.

Yuterald

Finally got my 100% in the main game last night (5 Star profile, etc.). Now I've moved onto the challenges. Holy shit, they're pretty ridiculous the further you get. I've got Golds on all Time Attack missions up until 4-star rank. They basically make you play like those super vids you see on YouTube. As someone who's usually good at time trial stuff (got Shiny Gold Medals in DKC:R), this shit feels a bit intimidating!

Yuterald

Yo, this Challenge Mode is mad difficult! I'm legitimately intimated by this stuff! I still can't even get close to Gold on some 4-Star Time Attack challenges. The 5-Star shit looks out of control too! I've officially considered getting Golds in NSMB U harder than acquiring Shiny Golds in DKC:R.

Frodo

So, I bought NSLU last week, but decided to go through all the levels and get all the Star Coins and find all Secret Exits in NSMBU first and...

I guess this game just became my favorite 2D Mario. Even though I kind of prefer the gameplay and tighter mechanics of SMW, the level design of this game is just absurd, in the best of senses. Some of the later levels are insane, and getting the 3 star coins is a real challenge.

If Nintendo had put an extra care to make this game stand apart from the NSMB series with more stylsh graphics and sound... It is a little bit sad that people dismiss it because it feels too much as the previous games (I honestly don't blame them).

So yeah. NSMBU is awesome, and a must play for everyone that enjoys a good old platformer, despite being comsetically too similar to the previous NSMB games. Specially the later levels if you are going for all 3 Star Coins. Star Road levels are phenomenal, possibly the best 2D levels in any Mario.

NSLU, here I come!

Tom_Cody

Finally approaching the end. I had picked this up at launch but only played through about half of it at that time. I have ever star coin and exit (AFAIK) up through Peach's Castle and I just started on the Star Road levels last night. Dear lord. I can't believe how hard these levels are.

I have loved playing through this, but I can't help but feel that the game was rushed. It just feels unpolished compared to past NSMB titles. I mean, slowdown? And I didn't even play with other people

jts

...hate me...
I'm loving this, bla bla bla, but I have a question. Are there any clues in the game (a la SMW) for which levels have a secret exit, or do I have to gamefaq it when I don't find them even after searching and getting all the star coins?

Unfortunately it's a trip to gamefaqs in that case and some of the exits are pretty cryptic as well, not as bad as some of the NSLU ones at least but there's a few that are just cruel/silly.

jts

...hate me...
Unfortunately it's a trip to gamefaqs in that case and some of the exits are pretty cryptic as well, not as bad as some of the NSLU ones at least but there's a few that are just cruel/silly.
Ok thanks, that's what I feared.

I've found 3 or 4 on my own so far (and apparently got really lucky with one of them), but I admit that I already peeked a FAQ and saw the very first secret exit... crazy stuff for me, albeit kinda nostalgic, I would never find it.

Oh well.

You know what I just realized these games lack compared to the old games? Each castle/fortress had a unique personality to it, starting in SMB3, but culminating in Yoshi's Island with the almost themed castles by the boss. In the NSMB games, castles don't have any personality to them, but instead simply serve as another "Type" of level. Grass, Mushroom, Ghost House, Castle, sort of thing. I kind of miss that, as it give a lot of non-verbal story/character to the game, and it beats the hell out of the terrible non-skipable cutscenes in NSMBWii U.

Loving Super Luigi U so much, BTW.

Himself

Is here any sort of in-game hint as to which levels have the hidden exits? I'd rather not just straight look it up on gamefaqs or something, but I'm having a tough time finding these things.

Edit: Apparently not really, after reading back a few pages. There's just to suspicious blank circular areas off the beaten path, but apparently no indication which level has the hidden exit that will take you there. That's kind of a pain.

how often do price drops happen on the wii u e store, was thinking of buying this but wasnt sure if i should wait till gamescom or some nintendo event this year?

new wii owner here

how often do price drops happen on the wii u e store, was thinking of buying this but wasnt sure if i should wait till gamescom or some nintendo event this year?

new wii owner here

Hate to break to you, but you're not getting a discount on NSMB U any time soon. Mario Galaxy 1 was still retailing for full price up until 2011. Mario games sell at full price for years after release and sometimes they never drop in price (NSMB Wii and SMG2 are both still full price, I remember SMB 3 for GBA was still going for at least 29.99 right up until GBA games finally started getting pulled off shelves back in early 2008) NSMBU is a great game, just get it.

ArynCrinn

Banned
How big is the Super Luigi U add-on, bought the hard copy for my black Wii. But wanted to know if I should bother with a digital DL for it on the 8GB model.

Just got my fifth shining profile star. The final level in
Superstar Road, "Follow That Shell"
was a nice little detour.

But a quick look at the overworld map shows Miiverse posts coming from
the acorn tree
in Acorn Plains for "beating the game" and from two parts of/around Peach's Castle for "5 Stars." What's up with that?

jarosh

Does anyone here own the Prima official guide for either this game or NSMB Wii? I'm only interested in them because apparently they contain level maps...? And there's no maps anywhere else online. Are the maps any good? Are they accurate, detailed, big?

AniHawk

i'm finally playing this game and i'm a little around halfway through. it's fun, but the squirrel suit is a disappointment, since it mostly leads to very horizontal levels (unless it's a castle). nsmbw and nsmb2 both had more interesting level design. doesn't help that i started nslu because i was impatient. that's a hardass game.

oh and boy does this game look good.

New super Mario bros was never really a vertical stage heavy series.
Though I do recall six stages in particular outside of the numerous towers that played out in a more vertical format, though four of them are found through hidden exits off the main track.

AniHawk

100%ed nsmbu and nslu this week. nsmbu is a longer, more frustrating game. i think nslu is actually easier because it forces you to keep moving all the time. my favorite was the fire sprint. both are good, but nslu might be my favorite of the nsmb series.

hard to say, but right now i feel nslu > nsmbw > nsmbu > nsmb2 > nsmb

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Haven't played NSLU yet but I don't find anything wrong with that ranking. I feel like U has a slight edge over Wii because of Challenge mode (and now, Pro Controller support) but otherwise they're of a similar caliber.

Considering getting a Pro controller for this game - but is it possible to shake it for that spin jump, or did they map it to a button?

BowieZ

Banned
I will say I'm super pumped to see the art style and design choices in the new 2D Mario game. I have a feeling it'll be coming out in time for the new handheld (circa 2016), which is hopefully nice and high res.

Zing

Banned
I just started this game. I am finding it more difficult than the Wii game, but maybe I am just rusty. I'm also not finding every star coin on the first play like I have in the past.

I don't care for the squirrel suit at all. The propeller hat made more sense. This is just a SMW cape that I actually find harder to control.

I'm really enjoying the challenge stages. I think these alone are worth the cost of admission.

How big is the Super Luigi U add-on, bought the hard copy for my black Wii. But wanted to know if I should bother with a digital DL for it on the 8GB model.
I haven't personally checked my storage, but the eshop claims you need ~750mb. I went for it on my 8GB.

oatmeal

Banned
I haven't beat this completely, but I bought NSLU and played a couple of levels...and then went back in NSMBU and started 3-star coining levels.

Game is SO mcuh better than when you're just going through the motions.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I just got a wiiU today with this game, im heading to the 3rd level right now and im wondering how do I get miiverse posts to show up
edit: well the problem solved itself

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So I bought a copy of the NSMBU+NSLU combo disc from someone selling it individually, with the intent of putting my copies of the original games up for sale shortly. Thought I'd share what's actually different about this version while I'm at it:

- It counts as a distinct game for the Wii U's system functions. This means that save data from the individual retail versions of NSMBU and NSLU do not carry over to this version. I'm not sure whether that also applies to the digital versions though.

- It includes the features added up to NSMBU v1.3.0 (Miiverse functionality, Pro Controller support). No patches to download as of now.

- There is a new selection on the main menu for Bonus Videos, which includes lots and lots of super plays for the main game, challenge mode, and NSLU. I suspect that most of these are duplicates of the videos that Nintendo has been sharing on its official Youtube channels for the past year, but I haven't taken a close look yet.

- There is no instruction manual or any paper insert of any kind. Just a case and disc. If this copy hadn't arrived in its original seal, I would have suspected that I'd been short-changed. I'm still wondering if anyone who bought the system bundle could further confirm this, though.

Andrew.

Banned
- There is no instruction manual or any paper insert of any kind. Just a case and disc. If this copy hadn't arrived in its original seal, I would have suspected that I'd been short-changed. I'm still wondering if anyone who bought the system bundle could further confirm this, though.

That's the bundle Im looking to buy tomorrow so I will let you know.

ghibli99

I just beat this will 5 stars on my save file. No shiny, but that's OK... perhaps one day. It was stressful enough (in a good way) getting all the star coins and secret exits.

Definitely the best of the NSMB series, with NSMB Wii a close 2nd, followed by NSMB2 (too easy, but nice polish and some good design) and then in a distant 4th, NSMB (never clicked for me, and I really had to push myself to finish it).

I really liked the world map, the upgraded backgrounds, the flow of the levels, and the overall look of the game in HD. Nice textures and really good animation, which Nintendo is always a pro at. I wish they'd change up the overall art style more and the music is pretty tiresome, but I'm sure SM3DW will make up for that in both areas.

Easily up there with SMW and SMB3 in terms of how much fun I had!

Top Bottom