• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Still can't work out how Miis in the background are chosen in Boost Rush. Obviously those selected as favourites appear, but one that isn't a favourite also appears but none of my other Miis ever appear. And then you get some Miis I don't even recognise. Weird that Nintendo changed the way Miis work in game.

Riposte

Yeah, I'm impressed with the level design. This is good stuff. It feels like they are speeding up when you get to the good part compared to Wii. I felt like that didn't get good until the third or fourth world, but here I was already liking it earlier than that.

I have a hard time justifying going and playing NSMB2 because of this. I hope I made the right choice. (Though some of that DLC looks real impressive!)

qq more

Yeah, I'm impressed with the level design. This is good stuff. It feels like they are speeding up when you get to the good part compared to Wii. I felt like that didn't get good until the third or fourth world, but here I was already liking it earlier than that.

I have a hard time justifying going and playing NSMB2 because of this. I hope I made the right choice. (Though some of that DLC looks real impressive!)

NSMB2 is surprisingly fun even though I started playing it after NSMBU (which is obviously the far superior game). The whole coin gimmick thing is pretty damn fun if you don't mind the lack of real rewards. There's just.. something so satisfying about collecting all of those coins.

Gartooth

Got all 5 profile stars (the secret exit in
5-2
was the last thing I needed to get the final star, and I think it eluded me so much because I had already gotten to every level in world 5 and there really wasn't an apparent path that I missed)

Man some of the those levels in
Superstar Road
were brutal, in particular the one with the swinging pendulums(hardest level in the game for me), and also the one that required hitting P-Switches very quickly. (though for the second one I just used a P-Acorn to make it really easy on me)

I do think that the
"victory lap" level
of the game was a bit weak, but overall I had a blast getting there. Anyway overall this game was definitely something that made the launch of the Wii U all the better, and I think it is crazy if people pass this up because of the NSMB series being "bland" and "recycled". (Although I admit that NSMB2 probably didn't leave the strongest impression on people, and recycling music between games is bad, bad, bad)

chrono01

Does anyone have a pattern for Attack of the Bob-ombs? I can't even get remotely close to gold.

On a side note, has anyone managed to gold every challenge? After I finish ACIII, I plan on knocking them out. Pretty close to being done.
What I did was jump on the Bob-omb coming out of the pipe to the Left [try to get him to destroy all three sections of blocks if you can], quickly run to the right and jump on/ignite the bomb currently falling off that ledge], jump above, carry a Bob-omb to the top and destroy that wall, go back to the left and collect the coins, then back to the right and ignite any bombs currently in the little "alcove" there. That should open up all of the "blocked" off sections. Don't bother collecting the coins in the top row until last.

It's really all about multi-tasking. Always have a Bob-omb going that needs to destroy a particular walled-off area.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
so I finally grabbed those devilish star coins in the last world: third one in Meteor Moat, third one in the elevator level, and entered the final challenge with only five lives
bitch Bowser Jr and his nancy vehicle kept getting in my way while trying to grab them coins, so lost all the lives and actually got Game Over'd

...and now I have to re-grab the Meteor coin and the elevator coin. Didn't even remember Mario games don't have a checkpoint after a game over since the last time it happened was perhaps in 1998

you know AVGN's face when he's just speechless, mouth wide open in front of the horror? I had that face for 30 seconds

so I finally grabbed those devilish star coins in the last world: third one in Meteor Moat, third one in the elevator level, and entered the final challenge with only five lives
bitch Bowser Jr and his nancy vehicle kept getting in my way while trying to grab them coins, so lost all the lives and actually got Game Over'd

...and now I have to re-grab the Meteor coin and the elevator coin. Didn't even remember Mario games don't have a checkpoint after a game over since the last time it happened was perhaps in 1998

you know AVGN's face when he's just speechless, mouth wide open in front of the horror? I had that face for 30 seconds

Having to re-obtain the meteor coin, i'm so sorry, hey you could always P Wing it.

On a side note I loved that elevator stage, takes the similar idea from NSMBWii's raft stage and ups the tension incredibly.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Having to re-obtain the meteor coin, i'm so sorry, hey you could always P Wing it.

On a side note I loved that elevator stage, takes the similar idea from NSMBWii's raft stage and ups the tension incredibly.

is there any downside to the P Wing? I never used one and I fear it could invalidate my stars..

olimpia84

Got this for Christmas and I can safely this is the best game in the NSMB series (I have yet to try 2 though). Level design is pretty good (as expected), overworld is much better than in previous games and graphics look good.

The challenges are a fun addition. I love beating a world and take a 'break' by doing some challenges.

CoolS

Guys, I got a quick question. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my WiiU/my gamepad.
When playing new Super Mario Bros U, Marios hat next to the lives alway looks really pixelated on the gamepad screen. The same when you enter a level and it shows Mario and your lives, really really pixelated. Other hud elements are nice and smooth, but Marios head always is a bit pixelated.

Am I the only one with that problem? And if so, what might it be, some inteference? It doesn't change if I sit right next to the WiiU.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Guys, I got a quick question. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my WiiU/my gamepad.
When playing new Super Mario Bros U, Marios hat next to the lives alway looks really pixelated on the gamepad screen. The same when you enter a level and it shows Mario and your lives, really really pixelated. Other hud elements are nice and smooth, but Marios head always is a bit pixelated.

Am I the only one with that problem? And if so, what might it be, some inteference? It doesn't change if I sit right next to the WiiU.
Dunno if that's normal or not, but if it's an issue, it sounds like more of a problem with your game disc than your hardware.

zroid

Banned
After an extended break, because I realized I was getting a little burned out on Mario, I'm finally playing this again. Soda Jungle is AWESOME.

And SJ-5 (Deepsea Ruins) has some pretty great music.

olimpia84

Is there some kind of visual cue in the overworld that lets you know which levels have secret exits like in SMW? I just beat the game and I want to start looking for all the secret exits but at the same time I don't want to just read them online.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Five shiny stars on my save file.
What a fucking game!

I think it might even surpass SMB3 and SMW in the end.
Not having butt stomp attacks and wall jumps are really starting to hurt those earlier entries, I'm afraid!

Final stats, for shits 'n giggles:
Coins Collected: 20,119
Star Coins Collected: 278
Goombas Stomped: 86
Items Collected: 597
3-Up Moons Collected: 0
Distance on Boost Blocks: 0.0
Distance on Mini-Boost Blocks: 0.0
Goal Poles Reached: 153
Goals Reached with Yoshi: 5
Goals Reached with Baby Yoshi: 9
1-Ups Earned at Goal: 65
Fireworks at Goal: 83
Times Applauded: 250
Nabbits Caught: 8

Edit: 99 lives and 94 flags, of course.

Not sure how many hours I've played, but really only two days of heavy gaming and another hour or three here and there scattered over yesterday and today.
Haven't bothered with any of the ancillary or multiplayer modes yet.
Strictly single-player story mode run.

What a fucking game! (Again, for good measure!)

3 weeks and 3 Marios games started, completed, and 100%'ed!

zroid

Banned
It's pretty great how the game shows you all these exasperated Miiverse posts from people when you die. Makes you feel better because you're not the only one who sucks. It's genius.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
What a fucking game!

Not having butt stomp attacks and wall jumps are really starting to hurt those earlier entries, I'm afraid!

I started a new game of SMW after beating this on principle and I have to agree - I'm trying to wall jump constantly and wondering why Mario has no moves, ha ha.

It's pretty great how the game shows you all these exasperated Miiverse posts from people when you die. Makes you feel better because you're not the only one who sucks. It's genius.

Dear Bowser: f**k the 3rd star coin in Meteor Moat.

Mejilan

I started a new game of SMW after beating this on principle and I have to agree - I'm trying to wall jump constantly and wondering why Mario has no moves, ha ha.

Yeah, the same night I finished the main game (and had just started the superstar road levels), I jumped into bed and popped SMA2 and SMA4 into my GBA, got to the third worlds in both games, then shut them off when the experience wasn't as satisfying as my memories of them.

Then it occurred to me that my bedroom really isn't that far off from my living room, brought the Wii U game pad into bed, and proceeded to clear 9-2 through 9-7. Finally polished off 9-8 and 9-9 minutes before posting my final stats update, above.

Thinking I might jump into DKCR next. I never particularly liked the first three, so I haven't really given the new one an honest chance...

Careful, don't let the anti Wah crowd here you say that. They hate good taste.
They've probably never Bah'd to the beat themselves, they don't know what they're missing.

I despised the pah pah until I saw lakitu's cloud sing along and it's now the greatest thing.
I noticed this as well it's a neat touch, the new Waddlewing enemies seem to perform a little roll, i'm quite a fan of the various ways enemies respond the the sound effect.

Speaking of Lakitu, his stage in World 9 is brutally underwhelming and somehow managed to be even easier than most Lakitu stages, I don't get how the NSMB team have failed to make an enjoyable twist on the Lakitu formula, SMW had that one stage with the fishing Lakitu, i'd sooner see more like that as opposed to the token stage which is perfectly horizontal but will no doubt hide a few coins and pipes in the sky to be reached with the cloud, they got old after NSMB DS and here we are now still repeating that same trick.

We need to settle this shit: Bah Bah or Wah Wah or what?
I'll forever stand by Bah Bah, it's what I figured it to be as far back as the first NSMB game.

I feel like people are only now realising just how much Mario's extra abilities from triple jumps to air spins can add to these games, they allow a greater set of options for tackling stages beyond just powerups.

I played some boost mode challenges earlier with a friend and they're a lot more fun and trickier than I ever expected, to the crazy people who managed them as a single player you have my confused congratulations.

zroid

Banned
Man, I was skeptical when everyone said how good this game gets in the second half, but I'm very happy to admit I was wrong. The level design is exceptional.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I played some boost mode challenges earlier with a friend and they're a lot more fun and trickier than I ever expected, to the crazy people who managed them as a single player you have my confused congratulations.

I did the first one solo and thought never again.

And apparently it's Wah Wah~ according to Iwata Asks.

zroid

Banned
Dear Bowser: f**k the 3rd star coin in Meteor Moat.

>_<

Once I realized you can get it by wall jumping if you wait for the lava to reach its lowest point, I got it on my first try :\ Unfortunately, many lives were lost before that little revelation occurred.

Riposte

Is Bowser Airship Sneak one of the harder challenges (putting aside getting perfect-score gold medals, which I kind of don't care about)?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Is Bowser Airship Sneak one of the harder challenges (putting aside getting perfect-score gold medals, which I kind of don't care about)?
Hard to say, since I never really entertained the idea of settling on bronze. My gut says no.

If you count gold medals and Boost Mode, that particular one isn't even remotely difficult. It's only rated 3-star out of a possible 5, after all.

You know....I have never ever seen this in my game. Not once.
Stealth brag? :p

Three stars my arse is what I thought with that one, I don't know what the toughest is but I do think its rank is completely misplaced, I reached the later part with the moving bolt platform with the big cannon right in front of it but after I buggered it up due to the coins on the tip of the canon itself i've yet to return and try again.

Ranger X

What a fucking game!

Final stats, for shits 'n giggles:
Coins Collected: 20,119
Star Coins Collected: 278
Goombas Stomped: 86
Items Collected: 597
3-Up Moons Collected: 0
Distance on Boost Blocks: 0.0
Distance on Mini-Boost Blocks: 0.0
Goal Poles Reached: 153
Goals Reached with Yoshi: 5
Goals Reached with Baby Yoshi: 9
1-Ups Earned at Goal: 65
Fireworks at Goal: 83
Times Applauded: 250
Nabbits Caught: 8

Edit: 99 lives and 94 flags, of course.

Not sure how many hours I've played, but really only two days of heavy gaming and another hour or three here and there scattered over yesterday and today.
Haven't bothered with any of the ancillary or multiplayer modes yet.
Strictly single-player story mode run.

What a fucking game! (Again, for good measure!)

3 weeks and 3 Marios games started, completed, and 100%'ed!

Did you play New Super Mario Bros Wii in those 3 weeks?
Cause I had the same impression with that one than what you're saying here, it was better than SMB3 and World. Now I wonder if its at all possible that NSMBU would still the crown AGAIN...

Mejilan

Did you play New Super Mario Bros Wii in those 3 weeks?
Cause I had the same impression with that one than what you're saying here, it was better than SMB3 and World. Now I wonder if its at all possible that NSMBU would still the crown AGAIN...

Oh no. I back-to-backed NSMB and NSMB W quite some time ago. Perhaps 1.5 - 2 years ago? I don't even recall.

While I was on vacation overseas, I started, completed, and 100%'ed NSMB2 and then SM3DL. NSMB U was started towards the middle of last week, within a day or two of getting home. :)

For the record, this would be my NSMB standing:
NSBM U > NSMB W >>> NSMB1 / NSMB2

If you're at all interested, you may find recent (and final) impressions of mine for NSMB2 and SM3DL by following this link:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45842173&postcount=142

Fox Mulder

he draws a pretty nice rape room.

edit..

I just beat it and thought it was awesome. Fun, colorful, challenging, and I even liked the music. The final battle was a good shot of nostalgia.

This was the only NSMB game I've played since the original on the DS, and don't know if I want to go play the wii version as it's still like $40 used. Not much else out on the console I really want to play, but I've got a bunch of wii classics to jump into. Don't know whether to jump into Rhythm Heaven, DKCR, SMG1, or House of the Dead next...

daakusedo

There's good things going on in the time trials.
I did the swamp one today and there is that beautiful part with the cyclic platforms.
When on the second batch, setting up a double jump upon the two last ones, bouncing on the closest when you don't even see it anymore, engulfed in the poisonous water and then jumping carefully to avoid bumping on the last falling upon you.
It's hard to do but when it work, that thrill.
Still I saw a video with a better time than mine and without doing it, I shouln't have bounce on those three koopas troopa...

Top Bottom