• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Why

the

hell

does

having

lives

make

the

Boost

Mode

platforms

super

small

what

the

HELL

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Maybe because if you have 99 lives you don't need boost mode.

I don't need Boost Mode anyways. I wanted my niece to be able to do it while I played.

Why not force you to be small all the time and dispense no powerups if you hit 99 lives as well?

All this makes me do is kill myself a couple times to get big platforms back but with the way this game shamelessly hands out 1ups that doesn't even last long.

I don't need Boost Mode anyways. I wanted my niece to be able to do it while I played.

Why not force you to be small all the time and dispense no powerups if you hit 99 lives as well?

All this makes me do is kill myself a couple times to get big platforms back but with the way this game shamelessly hands out 1ups that doesn't even last long.

I feel ya, I really do.

I know this doesn't make things any better for you, but I'd just let her play as another character (assuming you have another wiimote)

Anyway, maybe the could add some different modes in there in a future update, although it's unlikely.

Boogiepop

Oh god, some of these challenges. Freaking Haunted Propellers making use precision propellers and 200 Clifftop Coins with its "look at me, I'm pretty much a time attack even though I'm in the coin section and have fun with that stupid Fuzzy!" Bleh. Trying to get all golds in challenge mode is starting to wear me down.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
jesus, Peach's Castle levels have totally decimated my lives. i'm now down to six. I had 53

hard Mario how I love thee

ElRenoRaven

jesus, Peach's Castle levels have totally decimated my lives. i'm now down to six. I had 53

hard Mario how I love thee

Wow. I found it actually pretty easy as long as you have the Acorn power up. Just beat it today myself. Love the game. I just find 2D Marios so much better then the 3D ones. I really do.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
This is the first Mario game in a bit that doesn't give you "hatless Mario" when you max out your lives.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Wow. I found it actually pretty easy as long as you have the Acorn power up. Just beat it today myself. Love the game. I just find 2D Marios so much better then the 3D ones. I really do.

it's the lava mate. It's the bloody fucking lava. I think I'm good at Mario games, heck have been playing them for 25 years. But the lava, mate, the bloody lava SCARES me

Davey Cakes

Better than 1:2 tilting tunnels? I can usually get 8-9 per level out of that and its easy enough to practically do asleep.
If you bring an Acorn or a P-Acorn into Soda Jungle 1, you can really make a killing with the Big Goombas. I've gotten 30+ in one run with the Acorn and that's after making a mistake. I could see someone who's good and knows the level layout hitting the 60+ point. It's a stage that was built for farming.

This is the first Mario game in a bit that doesn't give you "hatless Mario" when you max out your lives.

That got a tiny bit distracting, honestly. Lose one life, hat back on. Gain it back, hat off. Back, forth, back, forth.

It should have been something like a threshold, once you hit the max, you then got a 5 or so life buffer before it disappeared. Then if you lost it, it wouldn't come back until you maxed lives out again.

I'm trying to beat all the Nabbit courses for that 5th star but I'm having trouble getting him to reappear. I've already 3-coined every level too. Halp!

Finally opened up the Wii U today and after a grueling setup and OS Update I popped in Mario U to play with my daughter. We both are excited since this is the first time I'm actually going to play a console game with her(she's 6 and starting to love mario games since I bought her Mario for the 3DS). So the game starts and I find out you cannot play with Gamepad + wiimote? I need 2 Wiimotes instead? What kind of fuckery is this?

Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind this BS? I thought I was going to have a fun xmas day playing a couple hrs with my baby girl together but now those plans are ruined since I can't get to a store anytime soon to buy another Wiimote.

Thanks Nintendo!

boiled goose

good with gravy
Finally opened up the Wii U today and after a grueling setup and OS Update I popped in Mario U to play with my daughter. We both are excited since this is the first time I'm actually going to play a console game with her(she's 6 and starting to love mario games since I bought her Mario for the 3DS). So the game starts and I find out you cannot play with Gamepad + wiimote? I need 2 Wiimotes instead? What kind of fuckery is this?

Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind this BS? I thought I was going to have a fun xmas day playing a couple hrs with my baby girl together but now those plans are ruined since I can't get to a store anytime soon to buy another Wiimote.

Thanks Nintendo!

yup it doesnt make sense at all.
should be patched. :/

Thanks Nintendo!

It does suck, but it's been discussed here multiple times and I'm pretty sure it's on the box. EDIT: Just checked my bro's Australian box and, while it doesn't say you can't use the game pad in multi, it only talks about using it for boost mode and the Wiimotes for players, so it's a bit sneaky.

Basically, seems to have been done to allow easy access to boost mode at all times. I'm sorry your Christmas was ruined.

Yeah, people on GAF need to know how much fun and how challenging this game really is (if you collect the starcoins that is).
It's a weird game. It's like having an expansion to an old game being the absolute best game in it's respective genre. What i mean is that there's no better platformer this year.

What amounts to a peripheral and in some cases DLC component of the game turns out to be absolutly brilliant. If Nintendo can keep maintaining this quality with DLC in the future people are in for a thread and they for a gold mine.

Now if only there was a challenge mode editor for user generated content, but that would mean less incentive to expend on DLC. Decisions....

Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind this BS?

Because Nintendo

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

Thanks Nintendo!
It really is absurd. Use the Club Nintendo insert that came with the game and bitch about this on the online survey. Maybe if enough people do so they'll get the message.

zoukka

Thanks Nintendo!

Gotta sell those 69,95 wiimotes somehow...

Davey Cakes

The "jump in at any time with Boost Mode" excuse is valid, but still shaky. Doesn't hurt to give the player options. Nintendo shouldn't assume that people have enough Wiimotes to play 5-person multiplayer. Not everyone wants to play in boost mode, so if 2, 3, or 4 players want to play as characters on-screen, they should be able to do so with the Gamepad.

This issue has shown to be detrimental to some peoples' enjoyment of the game, so Nintendo should take note if they can. Could a patch help out? Hopefully Nintendo is on it, but even then, a patch at this point won't make up for the fact that some holiday gatherings may have been slightly soured when folks realized they can't just let someone use a Gamepad for regular play. A little foresight would certainly help in the future. This sort of thing seems so obvious.

The "jump in at any time with Boost Mode" excuse is valid, but still shaky. Doesn't hurt to give the player options. Nintendo shouldn't assume that people have enough Wiimotes to play 5-person multiplayer. Not everyone wants to play in boost mode, so if 2, 3, or 4 players want to play as characters on-screen, they should be able to do so with the Gamepad.

This issue has shown to be detrimental to some peoples' enjoyment of the game, so Nintendo should take note if they can. Could a patch help out? Hopefully Nintendo is on it, but even then, a patch at this point won't make up for the fact that some holiday gatherings may have been slightly soured when folks realized they can't just let someone use a Gamepad for regular play. A little foresight would certainly help in the future. This sort of thing seems so obvious.

I don't think it's valid at all, for all the reasons you listed after saying that. The fact that we're even having to ask for this change seems absurd to me.

So what do you guys think? Digital or Retail copy? I accidentally bought the Retail version, but I was thinking this would be a better game to always have on your Wii U.

Wiz

So what do you guys think? Digital or Retail copy? I accidentally bought the Retail version, but I was thinking this would be a better game to always have on your Wii U.

I have the retail version and I agree it would have been better to go Digital, just to always have this game ready to go for Off-TV play.

Also we're in Community now! :eek:

Seeing how cluelessly Nintendo seems to be handling digital content so far, I can't even imagine trusting them enough to buy a $60 game digitally.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
I just wanted to pop in and say that I think this is the best modern Mario game.

I finally finished the game with five shinny stars (the last few levels were epic) and then discovered challenge mode...

Wow, I have not had this kind of heart pounding experience with a game for perhaps a decade. Totally hooked, I will be collecting all the golds.

I also have an additional save file going for corporative with my GF she is fairly handy at Mario and is really enjoying the game.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Posted my response to 100%'ing Porcupuffer Falls to Miiverse and had it deleted because it 'relates to a criminal activity.'

And here I thought that 'Puff, Puff, Pass?" was a solid response to that stage.

:(

Rubius

So replaying Super Mario Bros 3 right now. I'm enclined to say that Super Mario Bros U is way better than 3.
The levels in 3 are less than one or two minute long on average, way too short.
U had way more idea in his levels too. So yeah. U is better than 3.

Posted my response to 100%'ing Porcupuffer Falls to Miiverse and had it deleted because it 'relates to a criminal activity.'

And here I thought that 'Puff, Puff, Pass?" was a solid response to that stage.

:(
Erryday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjL2tMGmMdA

Riposte

This is a good Mario game.

I'm surprised by how sucked into the Miiverse I've got. So far I've made a bunch of drawn messages, including spending a decent amount of time drawing a "pirate" Boo quoting Barbossa for the ghost ship level or drawing a Yoshi graveyard for that one course in the same world where you have to deal with those flying fish. However, I get the feeling I might be wasting my time. I wish there was a better way to interact with the Miiverse in the game (like being able to "yeah" any message you see right from the world map).

The secret exits man, the freaking secret exits.
Upon beating the main game I looked up the stages with secret exits because after NSMB2 I don't feel like jumping around every stage in a world again looking for exits that may not exist (why have they continued to ignore SMW on this point?).

I'd already found the ones in Soda Jungle and Peach's Castle myself as I went through the game so i'm tackling the others right now and bloody hell, World 1 and 2 and have straight up devious exits.
I eventually had to succumb to a guide for them both and I was so damn close to uncovering them but lacked that final piece of the puzzle for each one.
the Desert one bugs me more because I had picked up on the spike throwing balls against a wall in a position where he'd never be able to hit you unless you stupidly stood directly in front of him, but I lacked the mini mushroom when I first had Mario begin the ancient secret finding process of rubbing up against the wall.

I'm not sure how I feel about these hidden exits in some cases, same for certain star coins, they really love their fake walls a bit too much, still better than the NSMB2 beanstalk block bullshit at least.
At this point i'll also add that while I found the main game pretty easy that third star coin in meteor moat is the devil itself and caused my only appearance of the super guide.

So right now i'm finishing up all the star coins and working through challenge mode, I think it's safe to say this is the best NSMB game and is up there with the best of 2D Mario but the deja vu is coming in full force, I felt that NSMB Wii at least had more inspired ideas for its stages unique to it while NSMBU comes along and repackages most of them.

Spinluck

Please add me guys NID: Spindasher I need friends.

And fuck Nintendo and that YouTube Channel, no way I'd ever be that good lol. But yea, game is hella fun, didn't think I'd enjoy it.

Do you mean the secret exit? (that of course leads to 3 more star coins)

I found the P-switch run to the pipe quite a challenge!

Although I'd have to say the hardest star coin, IMHO, is the third in Rock-Candy Mines - Shifting Floor Cave.

Oh I certainly meant the star coin, between the swaying of the platform, the small window of opportunity to not get your backside charred, the meteors and bony beetles it was a pickle, the first time I got the coin had me wall jump out the gap at the last second only to go straight into a bony beetle, urrrgh.

I remember seeing that coin in Shifting Floor Cave, haven't gone back to retrieve it yet but upon first spying it I must've spent a good 15 seconds pondering how to get it before thinking I think i'll just come back later, it's pretty devious in a way but now i've spoiled the solution for myself, oh well i'd like to think that i'd reach that conclusion in the end anyway.

BowieZ

Banned
Oh I certainly meant the star coin, between the swaying of the platform, the small window of opportunity to not get your backside charred, the meteors and bony beetles it was a pickle, the first time I got the coin had me wall jump out the gap at the last second only to go straight into a bony beetle, urrrgh.

I remember seeing that coin in Shifting Floor Cave, haven't gone back to retrieve it yet but upon first spying it I must've spent a good 15 seconds pondering how to get it before thinking I think i'll just come back later, it's pretty devious in a way but now i've spoiled the solution for myself, oh well i'd like to think that i'd reach that conclusion in the end anyway.

Hmm, maybe I just got lucky first time with that star coin then.

And sorry, hope I didn't spoil you against your own volition :/

Gartooth

Got this for Christmas and been playing it constantly, the game is a blast and while I enjoyed New Super Mario Bros. 2 for it's coin powerups and score attack style playstyle, I can easily say that New Super Mario Bros. U is the Mario game of the year.

Finished all 8 worlds and collected every star coin in them, in addition to finding all secret exits in those worlds. Later today
I'm going to try out the Star world.

Overall though it's just an incredible game from top to bottom, I love the new powerups (though I do wish that pink and blue baby Yoshi's spawned in the levels so I didn't have to run to them every time I wanted to use them) and the level design is incredible with all it's secrets and hidden paths. Love the new world map, the bosses are actually very clever and varied for a 2D Mario, and I was surprised how improved the artstyle was over older NSMB games. (particularly levels like the painted forest)

Hmm, maybe I just got lucky first time with that star coin then.

And sorry, hope I didn't spoil you against your own volition :/

Oh no, I chose to spoil myself so think nothing of it, curiosity got the better of me.

I've just discovered that Boost Rush has a single player mode, the levels laid out in packs like this is exactly what I wanted in NSMB2's Coin Rush (as a complimentary option to random stages).
Boost Rush in Iggy's Castle on full speed is frighteningly fantastic.

Top Bottom