• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U |OT| My Bah-dy is Ready

zroid

Banned
Had three friends over for a few hours with the intention to play Nintendo Land, but I thought we could get a bit of Mario time in first. It ended up being almost entirely Mario time, and it was so much fun. I handled GamePad duty since I'd already played the game normally, and we all had a great time, including me (despite getting the supposed reject role).

Such an awesome game. I've barely scratched the surface of Challenge Mode and I've already got 25+ hours on the clock.

Has the Nabbit stealing from Mario been posted? The stuff Nintendo hides in their games never ceases to amaze me

http://youtu.be/ulkoEyC7XoY

If only he turned up sooner so I didn't have to keep going through the process of discarding unwanted stars.

Replaying some NSMB2 stages for some reason, probably because it's just sitting in my 3DS and I really think they did a much better job with Star Coin placement, the Wii and U duo love those fake walls far too much.

Forkball

Meteor Moat

throwing-phone2.gif

That's neat. I don't want so many stars anyways. I love how he
runs out of the Toad house during the credits. Everyone is singing and clapping while he's stealing shit.

Hope to see him in future games.

That is a spoiler that others have kept hidden.

Forkball

If you're referring to the third star coin, DON'T throw an ice cube or shell at it; just wait for the lava to fall to its lowest point and you can safely grab the coin and wall jump out.

Yeah.

IN THEORY.

I think since I played NSMB2 about a month before this game, it diminished my Mario skills.

Gambit

Got my five stars today.

What a great game. I do love the more difficult levels at the end.

As usual, the items, let alone Yoshi, make the game much easier at times. Nevertheless, it provided a nice challenge.

I really do think recent Mario games have the perfect difficulty level. Ignoring the star coins, most levels are easy enough as not to discourage newcomers, while at the same time offering a challenge for those seeking all the coins. In fact, those tantalising star coins urge the player to become better and try harder.

Davey Cakes

If you're referring to the third star coin, DON'T throw an ice cube or shell at it; just wait for the lava to fall to its lowest point and you can safely grab the coin and wall jump out.
This is how I eventually did it. But there's nothing wrong with using the ice cube method if you can.

xvszero

Neo Member
I think I'm getting more out of the challenge mode of this game than the core game itself. Not that the core game is bad, but it is kind of same ol' same ol', and not super challenging either. Challenge mode though, that has some hardcore platforming there.

Forkball

I BEAT IT. Peach's Castle almost broke me, but I finally won. I feel this game is a lot different from other Mario games while obviously sharing a lot of similarities. There are more hazards, more risks when trying to dart through a level. You really have to adapt to what is being thrown at you as opposed to just ignoring it and running through.

This is easily the best Mario game since Galaxy 1. The levels have a great mix of old and new ideas, it's CHALLENGING, has an incredible use of the Miiverse, and the challenges outside the main game are brilliant.

Finished the game early last week and am now having fun unlocking all the shortcuts and levels I missed (they really have recaptured the fun interactivity of SMW's map). The final battle
was easier than NSMB Wii's epic Bowser chase in
the lava but I still
loved it, seeing Bowser in HD was sweet.

Does anyone know if there's any trick to the baby Yoshis respawning? I lost a blue Yoshi last night and he still hasn't reappeared at either of the locations I currently have access to him at (Frosted Glacier and Rock Candy Mines). Is there any actual method to this or is it just time released?

Frolow

Banned
Does anyone know if there's any trick to the baby Yoshis respawing? I lost a blue Yoshi last night and he still hasn't reappeared at either of the locations I currently have access to him at (Frosted Glacier and Rock Candy Mines). Is there any actual method to this or is it just time released?

I think the quickest way is to reset the game. That's how I did it at least.

olimpia84

Finally got all five shiny stars in my file...what an amazing game! The level design in this game is leaps and bounds ahead of the previous NSMB entries. I believe my activity log says 27 hours but 3 or 4 of those were dedicated to challenges.
This has me craving for more Mario so maybe I should finally get NSMB2 for the 3DS...

Ranger X

Finally got all five shiny stars in my file...what an amazing game! The level design in this game is leaps and bounds ahead of the previous NSMB entries. I believe my activity log says 27 hours but 3 or 4 of those were dedicated to challenges.
This has me craving for more Mario so maybe I should finally get NSMB2 for the 3DS...

If you don't have NSMBWii, run to the store NOW.

Vibed

Ugh, I think I'm gonna get a Deluxe Wii U this Sunday, but I'm not sure what game to go with it. This, Scribblenauts, Zombi U, Darksiders 2, Sonic Racing, or Tekken.

I know Mario probably won't be dropping in price anytime soon, so maybe I should just go with this.

zroid

Banned
Ugh, I think I'm gonna get a Deluxe Wii U this Sunday, but I'm not sure what game to go with it. This, Scribblenauts, Zombi U, Darksiders 2, Sonic Racing, or Tekken.

I know Mario probably won't be dropping in price anytime soon, so maybe I should just go with this.

You should, it's great. The second half of the game is superb, and the same can be said for Challenge mode.

Got five stars yesterday!

....forgot to save! (but I had a witness and my MiiVerse post is proof!)

But anyway, a very nice game, level design is better than the other NSMBs, I liked the overworld (still lacking compared to SMW's but it's a start). The reuse of music was a fucking travesty though. I did like seeing some vaguely new level themes (like the sunken ship and the Van Gogh levels) but next time I would seriously like to see something different in regards to worlds. World 8 was such a disappointment in this regard. All hyped up for a Peach's Castle world and it ends up being the same thing as previous World 8s but with Peach's Castle in the background for a couple stages. And the inside of the castle didn't look like a Bowser occupied Peach's Castle at all. It just looked like Bowser's Castle.

But, still, good game.

EDIT: Also I would really like to see the return of bringing Yoshi with you.

daakusedo

There's a star near the beginning of 7-tower but I don't find its purpose, like a chain.
There's no other blocks until long so you can't keep the invincibility, so I feel like missing something...

I am playing NSMBU now, and I am disappointed with the powerups. They're too few and I would like to see some variation.

That said, gorgeous 2D game in HD.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Holy fuck I think
Run for It
might be the hardest Mario level I've ever played. I just tried for about an hour and a half straight and couldn't beat it.

zroid

Banned
Holy fuck I think
Run for It
might be the hardest Mario level I've ever played. I just tried for about an hour and a half straight and couldn't beat it.

Yeah it's a beast. I eventually got through it, but missed the final star coin. Couldn't bring myself to go through it again legitimately, so I just used a P-Acorn.

Holy fuck I think
Run for It

It might be all the Super Meat Boy, or maybe it's just all the Mario games I've completed over the years, but I beat that level the second try without the third star coin, then went right back for that coin and got it my first try.

It's a fun level though. I had much more trouble with the (next?) Star Road level, the one with the
giant fish. I suck at underwater levels.

Does anyone know what the purpose of the mini mario pipe at the end of soda jungle 3 bramball woods is for? I e gone through it as mini mario but it just takes me to the same place the normal pipe does ( the last screen of the level with the flagpole).

It seems like a lot of effort to get the mini mario and take him through the whole stage with little reward. Am I missing something?

Davey Cakes

It might be all the Super Meat Boy, or maybe it's just all the Mario games I've completed over the years, but I beat that level the second try without the third star coin, then went right back for that coin and got it my first try.
Yeah, I beat Super Meat Boy 100% long before touching NSMBU so I guess some of the skills carried over. "Run for It" wasn't a hard level to complete at all. Took a good few tries to get every star coin though, just because I hadn't worked out the timing. I mean, the odds of figuring out how to get the third coin on the first go are pretty slim; you need time to plan the approach, especially if you're mind is focused on running forward rather than doing any sort of wall-jumping.

The level is a toughy, but I'm surprised people struggle with it as much as they do.

So New Super Mario Bros. Wii U takes almost half the game to get good, and that's a problem.

When it does get good around the Forest world, it gets amazing, and is right up there with the NES/SNES games for me, but there have been several times where I've played the game with friends, and of course, in classic Mario Fashion, we want to start a new game, but then we end up stop playing by the end of the second world or third world, because the first world, desert world, and water world are complete snore-fests. And while the ice world is good, it's also probably my least favorite Ice World in a Mario game, except for maybe the DS games, one because it's so short (unless there are more secrets I'm missing, which there possibly are), and two I sorely miss the Penguin Suit. It should be noted that I've always really liked the Ice Worlds, though. SMB3's Ice World==Greatness.

Other than that, my only problems would have to be Boom Boom being the mid-boss, AGAIN. They hardly even mix it up, and he's as easy as ever once you know the hit him immediately trick. That, and of course the music. Some of the NSMBWii songs are very good, OK, but for the most part, the game's soundtrack is incredibly boring, and a memorable Mario soundtrack can completely make a game. It pains me playing Chase Mii in Nintendoland with these classic Mario songs playing that are still good today rather than being able to pull something from the New Super Mario Bros. games.

zroid

Banned
but once it gets good, it's so fucking good

it was almost like playing two different games. the first half was mostly quite standard with a couple standout exceptions, and then suddenly it turned into the best 2D Mario game I've ever played.

Davey Cakes

I'd say things pick up in Frosted Glacier, and peak in Soda Jungle. The game was good from the beginning for me though; it just obviously has a trend of improvement as you go on.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I was wondering where the final hidden exit was and then I realised I hadn't caught Nabbit in one level. HA HA.

Took my time but I finally have five stars!

Futureman

This may be my favorite Mario game ever and I believe I've beat them all (except NSMB 2). I love how it mixes elements of 1, 3 and World. Did the other NSMB games have touches of 3 and World in them? It's been awhile.

has Nintendo announced what their plans are for DLC? How did it work on 3DS... was it just single courses available for download? or new worlds?

Just got my 5 stars yesterday. What an amazing game! So before Superstar Road I had about 90 lives. By the time I finished I had 12.
luckily the very last level brought me back to 99 lives. :)

zroid

Banned
What is GAF's feelings on the lack of online co-op in this game?

Well, my feeling is that online co-op has never (to my knowledge) been pulled off seamlessly in a 2D platformer before. LBP doesn't count because its online is a mess.

That's not to say it can't be done, but Nintendo isn't going to be the one to innovate it.

Kokonoe

Banned

From what I saw from gaming side, most are disappointed as in this day and age it should be a no brainer, especially since this is not only 2012 (at the time) but the fourth entry in the series and I believe the third one that supports multiplayer.

Well, my feeling is that online co-op has never (to my knowledge) been pulled off seamlessly in a 2D platformer before. LBP doesn't count because its online is a mess.

That's not to say it can't be done, but Nintendo isn't going to be the one to innovate it.

Sonic 4 Episode II pulled it off and wasn't laggy.

Unrelated, but I've played online co-op via emulators with Kirby Superstar, DKC2, and other platformers with no issues in terms of game design. The way NSMB multiplayer already works now would automatically fit into online perfectly, so to be honest, there really isn't an excuse for them not to do it other than them not doing it.

got 5 stars and 100% today. I liked the game, but it is still disappointing. Hated the world rock candy and desert layer cake. Liked frosted glacier, soda jungle and acorn world. Thought peach castle was ok and that water world also.

The star coins were often easy as hell to get. I found the 3DS version harder.

I am tired of the NSMB series now, i hope this was the last entry.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

It's a missed opportunity but not really a dealbreaker IMO. It is sometimes made a big deal out of based on abstract principle.

Co-ordinating 4 players @ 60fps in a game with pretty precise platforming and a lot of enemy interactions (like turtle shell combos) cannot possibly be easy, so no online play in a launch title seems expected.

If it were a 3rd generation Wii U title released after there were plenty of online Wii U games, it would stick out a lot more. It's not like Nintendo hasn't found the onlines (despite how they are often characterized). Even games like Mario Tennis for 3DS and Kid Icarus have online play, but those games are more friendly towards it by design. (And only run at 30fps.)

Dereck

From what I saw from gaming side, most are disappointed as in this day and age it should be a no brainer, especially since this is not only 2012 (at the time) but the fourth entry in the series and I believe the third one that supports multiplayer.

Sonic 4 Episode II pulled it off and wasn't laggy.

Unrelated, but I've played online co-op via emulators with Kirby Superstar, DKC2, and other platformers with no issues in terms of game design. The way NSMB multiplayer already works now would automatically fit into online perfectly, so to be honest, there really isn't an excuse for them not to do it other than them not doing it.

It's a missed opportunity but not really a dealbreaker IMO. It is sometimes made a big deal out of based on abstract principle.

Co-ordinating 4 players @ 60fps in a game with pretty precise platforming and a lot of enemy interactions (like turtle shell combos) cannot possibly be easy, so no online play in a launch title seems expected.

If it were a 3rd generation Wii U title released after there were plenty of online Wii U games, it would stick out a lot more. It's not like Nintendo hasn't found the onlines (despite how they are often characterized). Even games like Mario Tennis for 3DS and Kid Icarus have online play, but those games are more friendly towards it by design. (And only run at 30fps.)
Many thanks

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I just got this game an hour ago from Amazon and I'm already at the Meringue castle. Unlocked 2 or 3 secret exits by accident/dorking around and now I'm on bowser's doorstep?..

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh man, just played this for the first time last night, with one other player on remote and one player placing platforms. So much fucking fun.

Richie

I gave this game an unfair judgement early on. Story mode seemed like more of the same, and being a launch title for a new console didn't make things better. It came to the point where I was beating levels without having fun, just seemed like routine. Challenges mode, now that seemed like the real deal, that's where I invested most of my time. Still, I couldn't allow myself to leave the main mode unfinished.

Thank goodness I kept going forward.

The second half of the game is where things really get going, but even so, it wasn't until after I beat the game, and came back for all the Star Coins/Nabbits/Exits that the game really shone. Crazy good level design, so many secrets awaiting in ever corner, the pure JOY of playing a Mario platformer appears at last.

It's not the Mario we were hoping for; the presentation won't hype any veteran, and with a similar installment released on the 3DS months earlier, NSMBU did little to live up to its name as a New experience. Innovative as it may not be, however, I've got no doubt this is a very high quality platformer, visuals be damned, the essence of Mario truly lies in this precious release. With the announcement of Super Luigi U, it's only going to get better.

Mario, I am thankful I played your game.

zroid

Banned
The second half of the game is where things really get going, but even so, it wasn't until after I beat the game, and came back for all the Star Coins/Nabbits/Exits that the game really shone. Crazy good level design, so many secrets awaiting in ever corner, the pure JOY of playing a Mario platformer appears at last.

Right?? The second half is soo good.

You sound like me, I took a one month break between stopping after around World 3/4 (~half way through each) and picking it back up again. Wasn't feeling it, so I stopped playing for a while. Then I picked it back up and I was flabbergasted.

Top Bottom