• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Odyssey trailer

StayDead

nxybtVr.png

omg I can't handle it anymore. This was amazing when they showed it.

This game looks liike it could be the amalgamation of every other brilliant thing from Mario in one package. It really is chocked full of fan service.

I love it.

ToonLink

GOTY. I don't know how they manage to make this game look more creative, exciting and appealing every time they show it off. Just when you think you couldn't be more excited, they show off new footage...

I am concerned that it might end up like Jak 3 where gimmick missions (however well executed they are) and mini games take over the core platforming moveset of mario. That being said, I can't help but notice that almost every "unique" action by Mario has a way to speed it up to silly levels which are good if they are going in that direction.

I tried to watch only a few seconds because I'm tired of being completely spoiled by Nintendo Directs, but this looks incredible. Like, it's hard to believe how crazy it looks.

KingBroly

Banned
Wait, does he throw his hood? How does that work?

Well, you see...you uh...you throw the entire suit, I guess.

Photo Mode is probably the most interesting thing to me cuz outside of screenshots on the system, you now have a way to just do something else. EPD Tokyo moving the ball forward.

KrawlMan

This game is going to steal GOTY.

Everyone talking about PUBG, Zelda, and all the other great games this year. Yet Mario is just waiting, lurking in October, waiting to steal the show.

Looks incredible. Cant believe how much depth there is to this.

I didn't believe Mario stood a chance against Zelda - but this trailer ...damn good.

This will be during the story segment where Mario and Cappy have fallen out, and so they must each go their individual ways to discover what their real magic powers were. Friendship.

I know you're joking but I feel like this might be a thing. Cappy-less missions similar to the FLUDD-less missions in Sunshine.

KaneU

This game is what dreams are made of.
Pure magic. I can't believe they put that much creativity in this game.

Lusankya

This game looks liike it could be the amalgamation of every other brilliant thing from Mario in one package. It really is chocked full of fan service.

I love it.

The great kind of fan service.

Damn, this looks so good. It's definitely a system seller for me.

This looks super impressive. I'm especially excited about the jungle and the beach level. They seem great.

Also what I'm happy about is the gameplay and handling of Mario. I played the demo at GC and it totally feels like SM64.
With Odyseey I get the idea that it's a worthy successor plus a lot more.

Taker666

I'm guessing the final Kingdom will be on the moon (considering how the Odyssey is powered by moons, it makes sense). Astronaught Mario..alongside some zero gravity action.

Hoping we'll also get a medieval fantasy Kingdom with Knight Mario..with some Yoshi jousting, Dragons etc. They could throw in a Robin Hood outfit and a bow as well..

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
This looks incredible.

Nobody makes games like Nintendo.

This really looks incredible. Enormous amounts of creativity. My only regret is that I am travelling for the next few months so won't be able to play it on a lovely big TV Screen.

nikatapi

This game looks so fun. Can't wait to have it on my hands. Being a relatively new Switch owner, i feel like i can't manage all the great games that are coming for the system!

Everytime I see new footage of Odyssey these dev quotes come to mind:

“We started the project by taking Super Mario’s theme of surprise and simply riffing on that to come up with things that were purely fun,”
“The result of that was, the team just came up with a seemingly endless stream of fun prototypes. We wanted to use all of them, and so we thought sandbox spaces would be the best way to play all of those fun ideas.”

“By coming up with lots of different fun ideas and placing them all over these fun sandboxes, we were able to come up with stages of very high density gameplay elements,”

Such a great approach to the games design.

yuoke

Banned
Everytime I see new footage of Odyssey these dev quotes come to mind:

“We started the project by taking Super Mario’s theme of surprise and simply riffing on that to come up with things that were purely fun,”
“The result of that was, the team just came up with a seemingly endless stream of fun prototypes. We wanted to use all of them, and so we thought sandbox spaces would be the best way to play all of those fun ideas.”

“By coming up with lots of different fun ideas and placing them all over these fun sandboxes, we were able to come up with stages of very high density gameplay elements,”

Such a great approach to the games design.
Seems like the exact opposite of what they did with the 3d games...especially 3d land which felt like the safest possible 3d mario game.

Chuckie

Game looks great.

I hate to be a downer because the game looks so amazing, but I'm not sure I'm super comfy with Bowser wanting to marry Peach against her will. There's some dark overtones to that.

Yet kidnapping her so she can be Bowser Jr's mom is ok?

Top Bottom