• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Odyssey trailer

Gurrry

This game is going to steal GOTY.

Everyone talking about PUBG, Zelda, and all the other great games this year. Yet Mario is just waiting, lurking in October, waiting to steal the show.

Looks incredible. Cant believe how much depth there is to this.

jb1234

It looks amazing. I think it's going to complete me, fill a deep gap in my soul that I never thought could be satiated.

DrLazy

Game looks great.

I hate to be a downer because the game looks so amazing, but I'm not sure I'm super comfy with Bowser wanting to marry Peach against her will. There's some dark overtones to that.

ubiblu

I hate to be a downer because the game looks so amazing, but I'm not sure I'm super comfy with Bowser wanting to marry Peach against her will. There's some dark overtones to that.

Here we go. 2017: the year when everyone finds some way to make an innocent narrative device a dark metaphor for something it clearly isn't supposed to represent.

Do you also take offence at Mario stepping on the heads of the goomba: a clear minority?

How the fuck does Nintendo top the next Mario game...

They left nothing out!

Game looks great.

The point of the game is for you to stop it? I mean lol

random25

Game looks great.

It's a pretty common theme in games (and in other forms of media), don't think too seriously about it.

DrLazy

How the fuck does Nintendo top the next Mario game...

They left nothing out!

The point of the game is for you to stop it? I mean lol

Sure but I like when they keep it light. It's probably fine I'm not going to get into it. I know it's comical and I shouldn't get too literal with the idea of forced marriage. Hopefully my daughter won't blink. But it was my first reaction to hearing the story.

Mediking

Super-Mario-Odyssey_2017_09-13-17_028.jpg

Super-Mario-Odyssey_2017_09-13-17_002.jpg

Super-Mario-Odyssey_2017_09-13-17_026.jpg

Super-Mario-Odyssey_2017_09-13-17_025.jpg

more here: http://gematsu.com/gallery/super-mario-odyssey/september-13-2017/

Looks sooo good!!!

VanWinkle

Just watched this video.

HOLY. CRAP.

My jaw dropped several times throughout. This game is huge. It's so gloriously over-the-top.

Cannot WAIT.

ubiblu

Sure but I like when they keep it light. It's probably fine I'm not going to get into it. I know it's comical and I shouldn't get too literal with the idea of forced marriage. Hopefully my daughter won't blink. But it was my first reaction to hearing the story.

Surely you also take great offence to the princess being kidnapped against her will in every other mario title since the 80's right?

DrLazy

Here we go. 2017: the year when everyone finds some way to make an innocent narrative device a dark metaphor for something it clearly isn't supposed to represent.

Do you also take offence at Mario stepping on the heads of the goomba: a clear minority?

Oh boy take it easy. Offense is the wrong word. It's a kids game. I like it rated G. I can have an opinion.

DrLazy

Surely you also take great offence to the princess being kidnapped against her will in every other mario title since the 80's right?

I never thought it was to force her into a sham marriage lol! It was to take over the mushroom kingdom

Peterthumpa

It's a pretty common theme in games (and in other forms of media), don't think too seriously about it.
Yeah, the damsel in distress trope has been a Mario staple in basically all mainline entries.

It's too innocent in Mario's case though, although still wrong - Bowser's motivation is never explicitly explained, and all the focus is in retrieving her back, not as a prize or with sexual connotations, but as Mario's goal as her eternal "bodyguard".

Jagsrock

Banned
Loving the use of colors in this game. Everything just pops so wonderfuly. Also looks like this game is gonna be massive, they've already shown of so many kingdoms and there's still freaking more. Plus I bet there's some crazy post game worlds. Ugh I can't wait for this.

VanWinkle

New Donk City continues to be the only kingdom that looks visually terrible.

I hope it will be the first one so I can get it out of the way.

It is just insanity that as Van said A PORTABLE MARIO GAME can look like this, have levels this large...

Brain breaking.

This is one of the prettiest games I've seen. With more imagination on display than I can properly credit them.

I'm amazed honestly.

Sometimes Nintendo scares the hell out of me. What they do, they do so well.

Every aspect of what they've shown is appealing to me. Just looks like a thoroughly pleasant experience that will likely have a lot of hidden depth if you're trying to do everything while appealing to everyone.

Well, going to need a Switch by the time this game hist the street.
They sure put a lot of work in this one. Not always happy about the art-direction but most of it looks incredible and varied.

Lots of Sunshine references.

KooopaKid

Banned
2 GOTG the same year.
Plus Samus Returns and Splatoon 2.
What a year.
Another Edge 10 on the same console not even one year old?
Crazy.

If that's your first reaction then you must be uncomfortable with it and you should probably set a good example for your daughter and not play the game. Explain to her calmly that it's completely out of order that the nasty lizard man is forcing the poor princess to marry him and instead buy her Rayman. Ignore any of her pleas that "it's just a game daddy".

kami_sama

God fucking dammit.
I just finished the Direct (couldn't watch until now) and damn, it is just too much.
The amount of Moons, the locations, the outfits, etc...
It's like Nintendo said they wanted everything in one single game.

Also, I loved the SM64 reference with the canvas in the Seaside Kingdom.

Rewatching this trailer.....I don't see how they can top this game for the inevitable next 3D Mario game.

Easy. Super Mario Squad. Combine the (optional) co-op of SM3DW with the exploration of SMO into one seamless open world of platforming adventure. Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad go on an expedition to the darkest and craziest corners of the Mushroom Kingdom. Online co-op, free roam, the entire Mario cast involved, high jinks ensue, GOTY again.

D_prOdigy

Every time I'm about to see some new Mario Odyssey:

cool, I know it's gonna be good, great

Every time upon seeing some new Mario Odyssey:

it might be the greatest thing i've ever seen again

Roo

They likely won't and will take a hard left creatively for the next big Mario game like they did with Sunshine.
How will they top SMG?... SMG2 happened...
HOW WILL THEY TOP SMG2??? This game will happen.

They'll do it again when the times comes

Top Bottom