• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Odyssey trailer

So good.

This year the battle for the Nintendo (maybe even overall) GOTY is going to be HARD.

DJUGw1NW0AAl17V.jpg

HOLY SHIT HAHAHA.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Between Breath of the Wild and this, I may not be able to keep saying Super Paper Mario is my favorite Nintendo game much longer. This is literally Mario on mushrooms.

Portable Skyrim, Portable DOOM, Mario Odyssey, Mario + Rabbids, Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and Splatoon 2 all in the same year.

Red Devil

I hope Pauline becomes a staple of the Mario franchise, like Rosalina has.

Also, there are 9 kingdoms confirmed (New Donk City, Tostarena, Mount Volbono, Steam Gardens, Bonneton, Fossil Falls, Shiveria, Bubblaine, Jungle), plus, the list shows at least 55 moons in the Sand Kingdom. Assuming the number of moons per Kingdom is the same, there is at least 495 moons to collect.

Edit: I forgot about the Jungle Kingdom shown.

It said 69 actually.

jrDev

So good.

This year the battle for the Nintendo (maybe even overall) GOTY is going to be HARD.

DJUGw1NW0AAl17V.jpg
Where are these from lol? This is the second time I have seen these same people in a meme pic.

Nintendo, I just can't understand how you are topping what you did for the previous Mario games. Jesus!

All the transformations remind me of Banjo Kazooie.
Its as if someone looked at one of the more unique aspects of Banjo Kazooie and made a whole game about that.

Mario's nipples and feet. Once you've seen them, you cant go back...

Amazing footage on display for such a massive game. I cant even begin to imagine how long it would take to 100% complete this game. Not too mention the fun side content that could last for a while. The new Mario 64 indeed.

All the transformations remind me of Banjo Kazooie.
Its as if someone looked at one of the more unique aspects of Banjo Kazooie and made a whole game about that.

Speaking of which, the Yooka-Laylee team should take a long, hard, introspective, ponderous look at this to give them a sense of everything they didn't get right with their game...

Speaking of which, the Yooka-Laylee team should take a long, hard, introspective, ponderous look at this to give them a sense of everything they didn't get right with their game...

I mean, let's be fair here: Yooka-Laylee was a dinky little Kickstarter project. Mario Odysessy on the other hand is an AAA EPD production. Of course it was always gonna get trounced.

I feel like a lot of the problems with YL was that they didn't have the budget or resources to make a fully realized and polished 3D platformer on par with the N64 Banjos, both of which were AAA games back in their day. You can definitely see this by how they had to cut corners by constantly reusing enemies and NPCs throughout the levels.

I'd like to see Playtonic hook up with Nintendo for a potential sequel. I think, with the proper guidance and budget, they could make something solid. We just got a well received Metroid game from MercurySteam of all people, and it's all because Nintendo gave them the right resources and proper direction. Perhaps Playtonic could use the same thing.

Sanctuary

The Galaxy and 3D Land/World games were good enough, but this seriously looks like the true successor to Mario 64 to me. I was already holding out on getting a Switch until more games were released, and this was going to be the one I was looking forward to the most. With the announcement of a few of the other games that will arrive this year, I'll be able to buy another Nintendo system without having to worry about buyer's remorse.

Unless of course they frontloaded everything, and the next two years will be dry.

And one is a viable contender for GOAT. Nintendo is bringing unfiltered joy. On the first year.

I fear for my life if Animal Crossing Switch follows up with this quality.

animal crossing of the wild odyssey

GOAT of the GOATs

If metroid prime 4 follows the same level of quality of botw (my GOAT) and smo (probably mario GOAT), i won't be able to handle this generation

Sponge

Banned
I'd like to see Playtonic hook up with Nintendo for a potential sequel. I think, with the proper guidance and budget, they could make something solid. We just got a well received Metroid game from MercurySteam of all people, and it's all because Nintendo gave them the right resources and proper direction. Perhaps Playtonic could use the same thing.

Gotta agree because of the bolded. I'd like to see them work on something together too.

This game looks like it's going to make me blast through hundreds of hours. Easily the most impressive thing I've seen since... Mario 64 I guess?

Top Bottom