• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Tales of games ( Wii , DS , PSP , PS2 ) scan

Shouta

ethelred said:
Best ever will be tough, but we'll see. I do like the original quite a bit, so yeah, I want to try the remake out.

It really is the best Tales game yet. Perfectly paced story, the most frenetic version (who can say no to Aerial combos?) of the LMBS, incredible graphics, and etc. There's a handful of problems with the game here and there most of them are minor quibbles IMO.

Shouta said:
It really is the best Tales game yet. Perfectly paced story, the most frenetic version (who can say no to Aerial combos?) of the LMBS, incredible graphics, and etc. There's a handful of problems with the game here and there most of them are minor quibbles IMO.

I reeeeally want to play it. The videos make it look so damn fun. I wish it'd get fan translated but the chances of that happening within the next 5 years is low.

GamerSoul

Aokage said:
Here is exactly what all of these are, from 2ch:

Tales of Innocence for DS, Mutsumi Inomata character design, all-new game.

Tales of Rebirth, port to PSP.

Tales of Destiny Director's Cut, at this point platform unknown. PS2?

Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk, for Wii.

Friggin sweet. :D :D :D :D

GamerSoul

What suprises me also is that Matt Cassasiamia was actually telling the truth about ToS2 for Wii in that podcast. Didn't he also say it was using ToS' gameplay style? I can't remember. But, anyways I'm so happy. Wii and DS are getting some Tales love.

Pureauthor said:
Sooner or larer they're going to run out of nouns for these games.

No they're not.

AzureNightmareXE said:
You shame the game and yourself by calling it "Destiny 2" so i fixed it for you.

Uh no, they really mean Destiny 2. Anyone can get Eternia, it's in English and PSP is region free.

Jiggy

So that's at least two and possibly three buys, assuming they make it to the US. Tales, yeah! :eek:

Tabris said:
Wow, Tales milking is getting worse than Final Fantasy, and unlike Final Fantasy, the gameplay is generally the same between all the titles.
Awesome gaming doesn't stop being awesome gaming the moment it's done more than once. Or more than twice. ...Or whatever arbitrary number you might pick as your dividing line separating sequel from rehash and fanservice from milking. :|

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Well damn, as if Smash Bros. weren't reason enough for me to get a Wii, I REALLY need one now. Symphonia was awesome and I have high hopes for its sequel and the potential for waggle combos in combat.

ethelred

AzureNightmareXE said:
You shame the game and yourself by calling it "Destiny 2" so i fixed it for you.

Uh, he probably was actually talking about the real Destiny 2, which got ported to the PSP (like Rebirth is now).

gimz

i donno, i'm not a big fan of Tales of, can anyone tell me whats so special about it?

(only played ToS on GC, and still think BK is a better RPG)

AzureNightmareXE said:

I got beaten to the punch, but you got punk'd, dude.

I'm just a little pessimistic about the Destiny 2 PSP version coming over. They'd have to go back a bit. But if they do, I hope they also pick up Phantasia PSP for localization.

ivysaur12

Banned
Eh.... Not really a fan of the Tales games. I'll probably buy TOS2 though.

EDIT: Not like I care, but where is Sword of Legendia? I mean, if it's not gonna happen, than yay, cause Legendia sucked.

Jammy

Banned
Tales of Symphonia 2 for Wii is very welcome. I thoroughly enjoyed Symphonia on GCN and felt that it was still one of the better RPGs of last generation. I just hope the sequel is similar in quality.

EDIT: It's also support well deserved. Tales of Symphonia was Namco's biggest success for the franchise in a LONG time, and especially when it came to the U.S. and sold near a half a million (I don't believe any other Tales game ever sold over 100,000 in the U.S. before or after that).

DarknessTear said:
Free run is seriously important to the 3D games in the series. That's all I want at the moment.. unless they have some other amazing game changing additions.

Yeah, I'm stoked for not only gameplay improvements (and they'll probably be even MORE goodies out of their team), but also storywise as well. Now if they'd only learn a little brevity...

Jiggy

Seraph830 said:
How are they going to put motion controls in TOS2?
I'm hoping they won't, personally. Except possibly for minigames; now that I'm thinking about it for the second time in the past couple of weeks (the other time being when ToS 2 was first rumored), those were the one aspect of ToS1 that I didn't like. They just weren't done well at all, but even that face identification one probably would have been better off with a pointer.

OMG, please get a better scan. PLEASE. TOS2 for Wii sounds great, TOI for DS...okay, must see this. TOR is great if US had a chance of getting it for PSP! =\ ToD, cool I guess.

Coolness. I hope the DS isn't a piece of Dimps shit. It could at least be a Dimps Tales RPG made by the Rumblefish team.

I welcome ToS2, although the first 15 hours of the game better not suck like ToS1's first 15 hours did.

Also, Matt C was right.

legend166

ToS was one of the JRPGs that I've really enjoyed.

What's the difference between the battle system in that, which I loved, and the improvements you guys are talking about in TotA?

ethelred

Mr. Pointy said:
Coolness. I hope the DS isn't a piece of Dimps shit. It could at least be a Dimps Tales RPG made by the Rumblefish team.

If Scamco were smart, they'd be realizing that they could have a Phantom Hourglass / FF3 / DQMJ-level success on their hands by putting money and talent and effort into a DS game. I figure Square Enix's DQIX announcement probably inspired a lot of developers to start putting some much more serious effort into DS projects, so we'll see. If they just go with Dumps again, then eh, it'll suck and they deserve the fact that they'll have *another* bomb on their hands.

So hopefully this is a real, genuine Tales game -- an original portable title by the actual Tales Studio would be great. Again, the fact that they're giving it the prime real estate on the top of the mag is promising, but... we'll see.

legend166 said:
ToS was one of the JRPGs that I've really enjoyed.

What's the difference between the battle system in that, which I loved, and the improvements you guys are talking about in TotA?

Mostly there are just lots of refinements between Symphonia and Abyss, but the really big addition the team made was free run -- you can have the character you're controlling move throughout the 3D sphere of battle completely under your control rather than moving along linear points. It really did a lot to enhance combat.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
ToS was my most played game last gen (only 80ish hours, i'm not hardcore) but I greet this news with a smiley emoticon :D

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Grimm Fandango said:
Symphonia team or bust.

You mean Tales Studio :)

Tabris said:
Wow, Tales milking is getting worse than Final Fantasy, and unlike Final Fantasy, the gameplay is generally the same between all the titles.

Yes, because the last great tales game was abyss which was released last year. In the time period that Abyss and ToS 2 is released there will be 14 Final Fantasy games. Good times.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ivysaur12 said:
Was Tales of the Tempest really that horrible? I know it was short, but did it even play well?
I don't think it was to casual fans of the series (I remember a few people liked it), but to a lot of Tales fans (like Bebpo) it's definitely a shortcoming to the series to say the least.

Man

Even if Symphonia 2 sucks, I know I will buy it and probably derive some enjoyment out of it.

It was my first Tales game. My rose-tinted glasses are strong.

Hcoregamer00

ethelred said:
Mostly there are just lots of refinements between Symphonia and Abyss, but the really big addition the team made was free run -- you can have the character you're controlling move throughout the 3D sphere of battle completely under your control rather than moving along linear points. It really did a lot to enhance combat.

Exactly, there is a reason why people say that Abyss has the best 3D battle system, and it isn't because they reinvented the wheel. They finally came up with the free run system that basically broke tales out of the shackles to make it have a true 3D battle system.

Hcoregamer00

GC|Simon said:
AHHH. ToS 2. AHHH! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I am angry there is no port of Abyss or Abyss 2, but Tales of Symphonia 2 is a good consolation prize. Hopefully it wont be a cliched as the original game.

ethelred

Okay, guys? Given the whole "Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk" thing, everyone should probably drop the ToS2 until it's confirmed whether this is a sequel (and as such, a true main series entry) or a spinoff.

Hcoregamer00

ethelred said:
Okay, guys? Given the whole "Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk" thing, everyone should probably drop the ToS2 until it's confirmed whether this is a sequel (and as such, a true main series entry) or a spinoff.

It depends on who is doing it, if it was Tales Studio, the same ones who did Abyss and Symphonia then it would be a top tier game because it is developed by the best tales studio. If it was given to a crappier department or *gasp* outsourced to another developer (like DIMPS) then it would be a spinoff.

Hcoregamer00

Buttseckslol said:
I don't think I'll ever truly understand why people continue to call photos taken on cell phones "scans".

That is because there is a lack of standardization used in the gaming industry in regards to jargon?

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Oh, this is a glorious day :lol

At today's Tales press conference, the series producer announced that the Nintendo DS will be the lead platform for the Tales series going forward.

Why? Because the Tales series means:

- "A drama containing deep themes"
- "Sounds and visuals that showcase anime FMV, theme songs and voice"
- "The unique Linear Motion Battle System"

...and the DS is "more than capable of this Tales-ness" :lol

This could be summed up so much easier with "the DS sold a lot lol".

But seriously, Tales of the Tempest only sold ~100,000 on DS. What makes them think a new one will do any differently (and yes, I know ToT was crap?)

Edit: Link of justice (http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/gemaga1985/13655183.html)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Aokage said:
Nintendo DS will be the lead platform for the Tales series going forward
WHAT? Namco's pulling a DQIX? :lol

Well I suppose the good news is that the new game is probably not by Dimps then.

Top Bottom