• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New WWE 2k18 Features: Updated Graphics Engine, New Story, 8 Players on Screen

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/wwe-2k18-devs-detail-revamped-story-upgraded-visua/1100-6451358/

With the recent brand split and roster shuffling resulting in some majors changes to the different WWE divisions, such as RAW, Smackdown, NXT, and the 205 Live brands--many storylines and plans for the weekly shows went through some substantial updates. Because of this, the WWE Universe mode in 2K18--which is a simulation of the televised WWE schedule--has evolved out of the static storytelling of its predecessors. Moving away from the format of one pay-per-view every four weeks of live-shows from previous years, the general progression in 2K18's changes to Universe mode intends to be much more fluid and organic, featuring a lot of surprises to match the current pace of WWE's TV and PPV schedule.

Presentation was one of the key areas that the developers--a collaboration between Visual Concepts and Yuke's--wanted to focus on. For starters, WWE 2K18 will feature an updated graphics engine, which the developers claim went through a substantial rewriting process over the last two years. It now features dithered rendering, new skin shaders, real time reflections, and physically based rendering--all of which will add greater elements of realism to the characters, while also giving a much stronger atmosphere to the many environments. From the technical demo we saw, which unfortunately featured the new lighting and post-processing effects paired with older character models from 2K17, the game does look noticeably improved over the last title.

One area which they acknowledge wasn't up to par in 2K17 was the in-game commentary, which is also being overhauled. Working with the NBA 2K team, which is known for its authentic commentary quality, WWE 2K18 brings in Michael Cole, Byron Saxton, and Corey Graves as the lead commentators. To give it a more organic feel, the three commentators were given extra time to work, and also had the chance to perform in the same room as their co-commentators to lend the recording process more of a natural feel.

Building from the last game, My Career returns and will feature a more serious story. As the last game was criticized for its somewhat sprawling nature, the next attempt at building your character's career will be more concise and narrative-driven than its predecessor. The main reason for this different approach to the story is the inclusion of the brand new Road To Glory mode, one of the new forms of online content for the My Career campaign. While the developers were tight-lipped on mentioning just what this offers, they stated that My Career's story is the lead up to Glory mode, which is the end-game of sorts for My Career.

This will not only come across in the expanded backstage brawl gameplay, which now has 1v1 online and will have three times the interactables and places to fight across in the arena--which the developers describe as a free roam arena--but also in the brand new eight-man battles, along with revamped multi-man match types such as a heavily reworked Royal Rumble mode with new mechanics, Battle Royale, Ladder matches, and 8-man tag matches. Moreover, there will be many different options to play around with, including mixed-gender wrestling and other options such as interactive items and win conditions, which can be added in the new create-a-match feature.

Cloud7

I like all of these improvements but I REALLY want the core gameplay to be significantly better. That's why I haven't purchased a wrestling game in a long time.

FDC1

8 players on screen?

latest

atomsk

Party Pooper
Happy to see 8 man matches, maybe they'll finally let us have 5-way matches though.

"2K claims that WWE 2K18 is the most realistic and comprehensive wrestling game to date"

They literally say this every year.

Hasney

Career and Universe modes have promised be improved every year and are just not. Create a Match has been in the background for years but now it's a new feature! No snark about 8 man though, that's cool, but this is concerning:

From the technical demo we saw, which unfortunately featured the new lighting and post-processing effects paired with older character models from 2K17, the game does look noticeably improved over the last title.

3 months out and no models ready? 2kuality.

Does this run at 30fps or 60fps?

You can see 60 elements of garbage per second.

BasilZero

Wait, they do that? Almost every single thing I hear about wrestling games today makes me wonder why anyone would play them.

2k15, 2k16 and 2k17 all mention in the digital manual that servers are open for one full year after the game's initial release date.

shanafan

No gameplay videos yet?

Will get for PC again, but I would double dip for a Switch release.

I miss that 2K14 had a match type creator, that included elimination matches. Haven't seen elimination matches (besides EC and battle royals) without the need for PC mod tools.

Other than that, love the series and always excited to see what changes come along the way.

Hasney

No gameplay videos yet?

Will get for PC again, but I would double dip for a Switch release.

I miss that 2K14 had a match type creator, that included elimination matches. Haven't seen elimination matches (besides EC and battle royals) without the need for PC mod tools.

Other than that, love the series and always excited to see what changes come along the way.

Create a match is back in so they can promote it as a brand new feature. Hail WWE & 2K!

Darrenf

Really happy about 8 man matches & Create a Match returning. Glad that Parking Lots are being added to the Backstage Brawl as well.

adj_noun

In addition to Promo Engine 2.0--an upgraded and more accurate take on the wrestler's trash-talking dialog system from 2K17

Good lord did I hate the first Promo thing. Did anybody ever figure out how to make it work without just memorizing what the writer thought responses meant?

Raw64life

I like all of these improvements but I REALLY want the core gameplay to be significantly better. That's why I haven't purchased a wrestling game in a long time.

One and done.

There is programming code that is now close to 20 years old still kicking around in these games. It's pathetic.

Sephzilla

I'm not buying into any of this carny shit Yukes is trying to sell. It's going to be the same old shit as every year. The fact that they're saying "updated graphics engine" yet we haven't seen a single thing for 2k18 should be a giant red flag. They do this shit every year where they hype new overhaul shit and it ends up being a nothingburger. I don't think we're ever going to get a truly great wrestling game again.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Been waiting for 8-man Royal Rumbles since the old Dreamcast game.

Ahasverus

Engine change means fans should wait 1 or 2 years to buy other game in the series. Growing pains and all that. Plus, Yukes is trash.

If you'd have told me back in 1999 that we'd have to wait 18 years before we could have a traditional survivor series match I'd have never believed you. Way, way overdue.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
"Updated graphics engine" =/= "Desperately needed new animations"

BiggNife

I feel like they say "updated graphics engine" every year and then every year the game looks like this

C-v8jpkXYAAwUNX.jpg:large

(this is from 2k17)

Top Bottom