• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New WWE 2k18 Features: Updated Graphics Engine, New Story, 8 Players on Screen

I'll say I'll not buy this.
I'll laugh at the buggy gifs.
LOL at people who bought and then raged it was terrible
Then buy it when it's released on PC.
Just like the last 3 years.

Wait, they do that? Almost every single thing I hear about wrestling games today makes me wonder why anyone would play them.

PC Servers still work for 15, 16 and 17 if you want to get custom creations. Not sure about online games, but then who plays this online.

PedroRVD

Is it still rocket science to learn to play these games?

I gave up with 2k16 ... I miss those times I played wrestling games with my friends. Now there is no way to explain all the buttons and moves to them :(

Damn ... even I used to forget how to play if I didn't play for a week ...

Just like the product its imitating: bad and made to prey on your nostalgia to get money out of you.

This franchise is DOA as long as they insist on it being annualized.

I feel like they say "updated graphics engine" every year and then every year the game looks like this

C-v8jpkXYAAwUNX.jpg:large

(this is from 2k17)
I haven't bought a new WWE game in recent years but this looks awful. Damn.

I'm starting to break away. I have slowly just stopped watching all of it then this week, I didn't even care. It's bad when a lot of my favorite stars are on it.
Just watch the highlights on YouTube and you'll have a 95% grasp of what is going on (usually not much) at any time.

Enjoy your 3 hours and less ads every week.

xviper

they should focus more on Online servers, each release, online works for like 2 months then the servers fuck up

i haven't played a wrestling game since 2k15, i will buy 2k18 only if they bring back the ability to invite friends AND play against\with random people online

Hasney

they should focus more on Online servers, each release, online works for like 2 months then the servers fuck up

i haven't played a wrestling game since 2k15, i will buy 2k18 only if they bring back the ability to invite friends AND play against\with random people online

They've said that online is also the end game of career mode, so you'd fucking hope so.

CydonianKnight

Neo Member
I get suckered into playing these games every year by my brother who says the game has improved. Sadly, I always end up seemingly playing the same game. Amazing that Yukes is still getting mileage out of this engine. You'd think it would've run out of gas by now and maybe taken a year or so off to build an entirely new engine. Or at least split off part of the team to work on a new engine.

I'm actually cautiously optimistic about this. I might be one of the few people who has enjoyed the shift towards sim wrestling over arcade (but would still love to see dedicated arcade WWE games every now and again too). The main issues with the gameplay to me were the submission system and all the damn bugs and glitches. The MAIN issue with the game is the disgustingly dated visuals, and they'd massively benefit from dropping to 30fps if that's what it takes to get decent shaders, lighting, and hair physics into this thing.

So long as the gameplay has had a solid year of polish too, I'm interested in seeing more. Still waiting on reviews before I buy, but at least I'm not writing it off before I've even seen anything like I did with last year's entry.

Demoskinos

I'm going to be skeptical as hell of this but its been awhile since Ive dipped my toe into the WWE games and with Kurt Angle in this year I might actually be tempted....

Marvel

could never
I thought Raw was a lot better and that's saying something because Raw wasn't even that good. At least I could get a quality match out of Raw though.

I actually really liked Raw 2 but I know I'm in the minority on that one.
Big fan of those two games, especially Raw 2 Ruthless Aggression.

Loved playing as RVD and Jericho in 2. Excellent animations.

DJKhaled

i haven't played a wrestling game since 2k15, i will buy 2k18 only if they bring back the ability to invite friends AND play againstwith random people online
Wait, you haven't played since a game that came out in 2014 but are saying each release it gets worse? How can you say that if you don't play it?

RBH

Not too much about gameplay engine changes in that article.

Meaning it will probably be the same garbage gameplay engine as years past.

yansolo

Nothing will ever beat the wrestling games of the late 90s early 2000s. WWF Smackdown on the ps1 is one of the best wrestling games ever.

These seem to look worse and play shitter each year.

Presentation was one of the key areas that the developers--a collaboration between Visual Concepts and Yuke's--wanted to focus on. For starters, WWE 2K18 will feature an updated graphics engine, which the developers claim went through a substantial rewriting process over the last two years. It now features dithered rendering, new skin shaders, real time reflections, and physically based rendering--all of which will add greater elements of realism to the characters, while also giving a much stronger atmosphere to the many environments. From the technical demo we saw, which unfortunately featured the new lighting and post-processing effects paired with older character models from 2K17, the game does look noticeably improved over the last title.

okp66FD.gif

PREVIEW_SCREENSHOT1_125014.jpg

^Get to this and then we can talk

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I was about to say.

17 looked worse than I thought!
They don't put any effort into the Diva character models. I don't mind myself because I never play as them anyway and I'd rather they focus their time and effort on the bigger names, as selfish as that sounds :p

Wow. The Elimination Chamber is finally getting reworked! Entrances even! I don't think it's been touched since it was introduced in HCTP.

Ithil

They claim this "the graphics and gameplay are overhauled and everything from ground up" shtick every single year.

DMczaf

Yukes has been developing WWE games for 17 years.

Yukes has been developing Wrestling games overall for 22 years

AKI got 4 years.

They claim this "the graphics and gameplay are overhauled and everything from ground up" shtick every single year.
yeah. we're a year away from tna being ten years old and yukes haven't even come close to those models

even their hyper realistic cena is bad. i'll never give yukes the benefit of the doubt. i'm astonished they're still the ones making these games

KAP151

Literally the same shit every year from them. They never deliver a polished product. You can add all the sizzle you want yukes, but your steak sucks.

And the game goes gold in 2 months.

Yukes holding it down for nearly 2 decades!

I bet they don't even send review copies out. I think they pulled that trick last year. Yukes is garbage. Don't believe their bullshit promise of upgraded visuals they do every year.

Top Bottom