• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New WWE 2k18 Features: Updated Graphics Engine, New Story, 8 Players on Screen

Having 8 wrestlers on screen at once is definitely not going to be good for graphics. That's two extra wrestlers that are taking up resources, including their AI. I have defended the mediocre to bad WWE 2k graphics simply because they have to account for six wrestlers on screen and an AI that needs to interact with other wrestlers, ropes, tables, chairs, ladders and more. I imagine that's a resource hog. They scan these models in and we still end up with most of them looking like shit.

Hasney

Worth noting that the store listings still say max of 6 players online (4 local PS4 and 6 local XB1 due to controller support)

lol if true and they just haven't updated it.

Having 8 wrestlers on screen at once is definitely not going to be good for graphics. That's two extra wrestlers that are taking up resources, including their AI. I have defended the mediocre to bad WWE 2k graphics simply because they have to account for six wrestlers on screen and an AI that needs to interact with other wrestlers, ropes, tables, chairs, ladders and more. I imagine that's a resource hog. They scan these models in and we still end up with most of them looking like shit.

It shouldn't do. I just imagine that there's a lot of unoptimsed crap in there considering they've never had a total re-write. If they've finally managed to make things more efficient, it should be doable with ease.

Looking at how the PC version allocates resources, it's never even been well multi-threaded for the multi-core processors.

It shouldn't do. I just imagine that there's a lot of unoptimsed crap in there considering they've never had a total re-write. If they've finally managed to make things more efficient, it should be doable with ease.

Looking at how the PC version allocates resources, it's never even been well multi-threaded for the multi-core processors.

I imagine the lack of optimisation due to years of building on the same foundation is a problem as well. It brings back to the same conclusion. We need a new engine.

He's the pre-order bonus and the CE is likely Undertaker themed.

Didn't we just have an Undertaker CE? 2k14?

cordy

Banned
Waiting for the gameplay engine. Honestly I care more about the engine in a WWE game more than most games.

Hasney

I imagine the lack of optimisation due to years of building on the same foundation is a problem as well. It brings back to the same conclusion. We need a new engine.

You never know, they might have been beavering away on one in the background. Gamespot did note that the lighting and everything around outside of the models was improved, but we won't see the new models until Summerslam I bet.

Even then, they need to stop designing the people they can't scan with crayons if they still have legends. There are CAWs better than their legend models.

Are any of these WWE2K games on PS4 good? I've avoided them like the plague because I always hear about how dull they are.

If I had to recommend one it would be 2k16 since it has an actual Showcase mode. They're difficult to recommend though. I enjoy them myself but they have a ton of problems. Lots of glitches. I don't mind the gameplay myself.

The Thnikkaman

Neo Member
Can we just get WWE All Stars Remasted, please??

Seconded.

All Stars is fucking great. Fuck this 2k sports sim BS. This is a fucking pro wrestling game. I want to throw my opponent 20 feet in the air with my special and do insane moves that look like they should break the ring. Not play your "chain wrestling" mini game for a "realistic" experience.

Seconded.

All Stars is fucking great. Fuck this 2k sports sim BS. This is a fucking pro wrestling game. I want to throw my opponent 20 feet in the air with my special and do insane moves that look like they should break the ring. Not play your "chain wrestling" mini game for a "realistic" experience.

Some of us don't want outlandish shit though. You don't throw people 20 feet in the air in pro wrestling so I don't want it here. They really need to make that separate arcade game for people who want this.

The Thnikkaman

Neo Member
Some of us don't want outlandish shit though. You don't throw people 20 feet in the air in pro wrestling so I don't want it here. They really need to make that separate arcade game for people who want this.

Which they haven't done in ages and that's the issue I have really. IMO they should do off years or something at the very least. Having a yearly game is brutal. Every year they add something (or bring something back) at the expense of something else.

Which they haven't done in ages and that's the issue I have really. IMO they should do off years or something at the very least.

There was a time when THQ made unique games for each platform. Seems crazy now but I guess WWE was so popular that they could produce three separate WWE games in a two year span and make money.

WWE_Wrestlemania_21.jpg

Off topic but anyone remember this turd?

Still worse than anything Yukes put out.

It's the counter and kick out systems that really kill the current engine for me. I hate them. Especially if you get the stupid timing correct on a counter but because you don't have any counters stored you can't do it. That is bad gameplay, I don't care if that's realistic to a wrestler on low stamina, it's not fun to play that way.

Hasney

I find the limited reversals and big reversals to change momentum good for putting on decent matches. The rest of the shit around it makes it bad.

I find the limited reversals and big reversals to change momentum good for putting on decent matches. The rest of the shit around it makes it bad.

Maybe if it wasn't so timing based. I don't know what an alternate would be in fairness but timing when TV latency is a thing seems bad.

Tried playing 2K16 through a steam link once, it was rough lol.

Hasney

Maybe if it wasn't so timing based. I don't know what an alternate would be in fairness but timing when TV latency is a thing seems bad.

Tried playing 2K16 through a steam link once, it was rough lol.

Did you ever go online? If there's lag, the timing has to be based on the server, not on your clients end which makes it hilariously impossible.

Still will be buggy as fuck.

I don't know, last year, I put every single sweat and tear into this game that my body had to offer.
Created the bugs collection thread on caws.ws, made huge lists with every single bug and problem and posted it on the official forum with pictures, gifs, videos, descriptions, everything. It was a big well known thread there.
2k17 was the biggest piece of broken shit I ever personally played in the last 25 years of gaming and I'm not even kidding.
Getting the game, starting it up for the first time, starting the universe mode only to have the very, very first match completely broken was the moment where something died inside of me. It was a tag team title match where only 2 of them came out and had a single match for the tag titles, oh boy it broke me from day one.
Bad broken entrances like that from Bayley where they completely forgot to animate her head, over every single big major bug from 2k16 that went over to 2k17 even if they patched them in 2k16! (Serious, wtf)
What made me realize that they used the unpatched 2k16 as start for 2k17.
Over to a broken caw mode, a universe mode that was so broken like never before, ingame glitches and caw downloads that corrupted your complete savefile.

2k17 was huge giant piece of bugfest and I don't know if I can ever invest myself into the series like last year again. It sucked every single piece of life out of me and I really really tried to love it. But as long as this completely incompetent studio Yukes is working on it, I don't see how anything will change ever.

How can it be, that a 10 year old game, WWE SvR 2007 is still the best looking game of the series?
Don't believe me? Look at this Entrance collection from Lita. On 4:10 is 2007 and watch how the graphics went to the toilet when they show the next titles that got released 7 or 8 years later.
They had the perfect 100% realistic graphic approach just look at Lita, my god and then decided to go more to a comic style, I will never understand it...

https://youtu.be/bI1Y0poT7GM

2007 screens:

wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2007-20060330100702009.jpg

ce2c911ac84df0bb8c887a42d1abe39b.jpg

Oh and one more thing. Whoever decided to use actual face scans on 20 year old models needs to get fucking fired! It looks so ridiculous. I HATE this. I need to find my screenshots I made a few months ago, this ruins absolut everything.

Still will be buggy as fuck.

I don't know, last year, I put every single sweat and tear into this game that my body had to offer.
Created the bugs collection thread on caws.ws, made huge lists with every single bug and problem and posted it on the official forum with pictures, gifs, videos, descriptions, everything. It was a big well known thread there.
2k17 was the biggest piece of broken shit I ever personally played in the last 25 years of gaming and I'm not even kidding.
Getting the game, starting it up for the first time, starting the universe mode only to have the very, very first match completely broken was the moment where something died inside of me. It was a tag team title match where only 2 of them came out and had a single match for the tag titles, oh boy it broke me from day one.
Bad broken entrances like that from Bayley where they completely forgot to animate her head, over every single big major bug from 2k16 that went over to 2k17 even if they patched them in 2k16! (Serious, wtf)
What made me realize that they used the unpatched 2k16 as start for 2k17.
Over to a broken caw mode, a universe mode that was so broken like never before, ingame glitches and caw downloads that corrupted your complete savefile.

I've watched Dino Winwood from nL sim 2K17 for the last several months and every single stream he does at least one busted thing happens. Either a wrestler comes out with a belt they don't own or the match ends in a double count-out because the AI is so damn stupid that it gets stuck in a reversal loop.

Absolutely terrible and given Take-Two's recent bullshit with GTA5 it's not surprising in the least that things haven't gotten any better than THQ.

Wait, they do that? Almost every single thing I hear about wrestling games today makes me wonder why anyone would play them.

Blind fanboyism for wrestling.

WWE_Wrestlemania_21.jpg

Off topic but anyone remember this turd?

Still worse than anything Yukes put out.

Oh GOD. This had to be the most disappointing thing I ever played. Like Day 1 bad. The online didn't work well, there were so many bugs and coming from the Gamecube, I expected a lot from it. It was just shit. The Create-a-Wrestler was atrocious as well.

And the new commentary team will not change anything. It still won't give you the TV feeling, they just don't invest as much love into this series anymore as they did almost 10 years ago and that will never change again.
Can you believe, based on today's WWE 2K standard, that WWE SvR 2008 had 3! Yes 3 different commentary teams and 3! different inring announcer? Based on if you used a ECW, Raw or Smackdown arena.
I know right?

how_i_met_your_mother_1_by_mrflyx-d5mbea4.gif

This shit is unbelievable if you compare it to today's game.
THAT gave me a perfect TV feeling back then, not this shit that they do today.

That wasn't even the worst Xbox WWE game.

51A35WJJ0ZL._SY445_.jpg

I thought Raw was a lot better and that's saying something because Raw wasn't even that good. At least I could get a quality match out of Raw though.

I actually really liked Raw 2 but I know I'm in the minority on that one.

Revamped Rumble, I would actually contemplate this if said revamp just made it go back to HCTP style rumble where being struck near the ropes could just fling you right out, that shit was tense.
Instead i'm sure it'll just get that much worse.

Last one I owned was WWE13, how far have we progressed or declined since then?

Top Bottom