• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox One Rumors: PS4 PSN > XBL, snap crashes games, ES RAM life long bottleneck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majmun

Well, I'm not buying it at launch and if these rumours are true it's not going to last very long after that. So I guess in a way I'm happy MS are saving me £429. I just hope that the devs I like survive the death of the Xbox brand.

Buy a Ps4. We could play games together *.*

Reule

Honestly, if I was interested in getting an Xbox One I'd at least wait a week or two to see how things are going. Nothing is absolutely confirmed at this point but I wouldn't drop $499 with all this bad news going on. A lot of the reason why I'm picking up the PS4 at launch is because I've been ready for next gen and it sounds like they have their stuff in order for the most part beyond Suspend/Resume not being available at launch. The last thing I want to experience getting a console at launch is a bunch of errors or issues. I hate dealing with that with games already.

oh_snap.gif

Crash to desktop now?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
So why is it a bottleneck on Xbox One if it isn't for Wii U?

Who says that it wouldn't bet? The Wii U doesn't run those titles in question at higher resolution, either. Apart from that, every other part of the Wii U's hardware pipeline is hopelessly underpowered, so the eDRAM has less chance to become the bottleneck.

Sean*O

Isn't funny how we keep hearing doom and gloom for MS while almost all positives for Sony from the same insiders.

Time will tell but I feel like the picture being painted is a bit one sided.

One company screwed up and the other one didn't. One sided reporting doesn't even make sense in this context.

Ding-Ding

While I am sure I am missing serious issues with eSRAM (Bish & CBOAT seem to have that locked tight). I cant help but feel that the eSRAM is nothing but an plaster, trying to cover the gaping wound that is DDR3.

Help me techGAF. What am I missing

Riky

$MSFT
I have a feeling come launch day most of this will be a storm in a teacup, even if there are problems day one I'm sure they will be fixed pretty quickly.

I'll find out in less than a month myself.

Fistwell

But I dont understand, I saw that handsome young man demonstrate snapping live in front of an audience months ago. So nice, he did it twice!

I'm just gunna wait and see what the hell happens when 11/22 hits. However, me not knowing how plausible it would be. But I'd say they should delay the thing and work on getting some upgrades thrown in, plus fix the kinks. Because damn man.

satam55

Banned
The hits keep coming...

Good:

-Faster GPU
-Better Sound chip
-HDMI passthrough
-Game suspension in sleep state (PS4 to patch at later date)
-Superior performance to PS4 in, “using procedural generation or raytracing via parametric surfaces – that is, using a lot of memory writes and not much texturing or ALU”

Let me know if I missed anything or if something is wrong so I can edit.

That doesn't mean shit. The XBox1's GPU is still inferior in everyway to the PS4's GPU expect for the recent upclock.

darkwing

While I am sure I am missing serious issues with eSRAM (Bish & CBOAT seem to have that locked tight). I cant help but feel that the eSRAM is nothing but an plaster, trying to cover the gaping wound that is DDR3.

Help me techGAF. What am I missing

yup you are correct

Bodde

Banned
Man..if this turns out to be true it will be a shitstorm of epic proportions.

I really feel sorry for the people who bought the console and MS engineers who are probably crunching like hell trying to fix the problems that the suits created.

Forsythia

MS fucked up and should've waited until 2014. I just hope they can fix the OS issues by the time it releases here in the Netherlands. Yes, even after all this news, I still want one.

daman824

What if all the OS news pertains to the demo units for both consoles?

As far as I know, neither is running the proper full OS, and both have had issues with freezing and crashing no? The sources could very well have been referring to these.
No, there are alot of sources saying the same things. It's a safe bet to assume that the OS is indeed a mess right now.

But that still wouldn't stop me from buying an XB1 if I really wanted one. This isn't as bad as the RROD because that was a hardware issue. This is a terrible software issue that will probably be mostly if not completely fixed by spring of next year. In the meantime, people will still be able to play their games and wont have to buy a new box like they had to with RROD. At launch, microsofts best bet is to simply hold off on releasing certain features (snap) until they can get it running properly. Their top priority should be on making sure everything that worked with the 360 works here. People care more about lost connections and dropped parties than they do about running a game and an app at the same time. Get the basic stuff running right, and then after launch, fix the rest and add it in one feature at a time.

They shouldn't delay. They should release the system with a bare bones OS, fix it as soon as possible, send out apologies, and then give everyone who had gold during that time an extension. That or give them a free XBLA title of their choice. A delay would destroy them right now.

Required Day One online-only patch indeed. Makes sense. Sounds like they'll still be working on the OS after the games are pressed, hence the requirement to take the XB1 online at least once.

daveo42

Banned
Wow...color me suprised if all this is true. What is going on at MS to get to this point? The best option at this point is to hold back some of these new features in the OS/Live system until they are ready and not release some half-baked stuff that doesn't work most of the time.

Sean*O

Also it's way too easy to get a thread locked around here. Mods should delete the offending posts/posters rather than just close the threads.. which is likely the goal of some of the shit stirrers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom