• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York Police Union Condemns What It Terms ‘Blue Racism’

Sianos

oh no, now that they've used the Negative Word "racism" to describe a reform effort it means that we're forced to oppose it too!! or else we'll also be branded with the Negative Word!!!!

oh wait. words are just abstract semantic handles to convey an idea or set of clustered ideas. turns out that just playing a convoluted semantic game to vaguely justify using a Negative Word doesn't mean that reality itself will be fundamentally altered so that all of the connotations encoded into that Negative Word are now encoded into the real object of the concept that was referred to using the Negative Word.

to make up for that poor attempt at a "gotcha" on their part, i'll have a go at it.

if the right wing really cared so much about english, they'd demonstrate more than an infantile understanding of language.

haha sick burn.
bc_fire.gif

Nafai1123

Banned
So quit. Nobody's carving a swastika into your forehead when you take off your uniform and continue to be a racist piece of shit.

For all those freeze peachers...

If a cop fails to defend someone yelling "fuck the police" from harm, the state has failed its duty to protect the First Amendment.

Quonny

"Afraid to say in my private life that I am blue."

Stupidity aside, hey, idiot, minorities can't hide the fact that they're a fucking minority.

Number_6

Maybe stop indiscriminately killing people (and their dogs), you blue motherfuckers.

And racism can't refer to your job, asshole.

HeySeuss

What the fuck? 😐

Yo..I didn't know y'all lived in 🍄 lol. This Smurf talk must be fucking frustrating..holy shit.

Oh no I'm in Ohio, I was using our as in police in general. Most cops think Antifa and BLM are the same as white supremacist groups... Ugh

Mathieran

Banned
So fucking stupid. You can choose to be a police officer. It's okay to be judged for your choices. You also have the power as a police officer to make your perception better by trying to improve the police force.

Fisty

Maybe if you stop using government-granted authority to discriminate against and sometimes murder innocent people, the general public will be less hostile towards your chosen profession.

Until then, fuck the police.

Heroman

Banned
I have no problem with the idea of a blue live matter however the way is use as a way to combat racism in the CJ is bs. Like if people really want to talk about blue live matter let talk about the high suicide rates or substance abuse in the CJ. But it as if the people behind don't really care and just want to continue the institutionalized racism in the CJ system

I'm in New York City right now and it's so scary. I just don't feel safe with all these police around. I think my family and I will move somewhere that there are fewer cops. The neighborhood just isn't what it used to be.

This is a joke about "white flight". Please nobody take this literally.

Released Sunday night, the nearly four-minute video from the Sergeants Benevolent Association, says officers face worse treatment than those judged by their race.

MAYBE STOP SHOOTING SO MANY BLACK PEOPLE.

Even if the MLK Jr. quote worked, the content of your character really sucks and recent history reflects this very well.

What a stupid thing to produce.

HeySeuss

I have no problem with the idea of a blue live matter however the way is use as a way to combat racism in the CJ is bs. Like if people really want to talk about blue live matter let talk about the high suicide rates or substance abuse in the CJ. But it as if the people behind don't really care and just want to continue the institutionalized racism in the CJ system

People don't use Blue Lives Matter as anything other than an answer to BLM to minimize the importance of BLM and to throw shade on the number of police shootings. All it is is another version of "he's no angel", only shifting the focus on the officer rather than villifying the victim. Blue Lives are not a oppressed race, they are not fighting for equality and against marginalization. It's no different than all the white people reminding us that all lives matter to shout down the black voice.

CISphil

Neo Member
Fuck these people. "Blue Racism" is basically cop's "White Genocide".
Everyone in or linked to that video should be fired.

Heroman

Banned
People don't use Blue Lives Matter as anything other than an answer to BLM to minimize the importance of BLM and to throw shade on the number of police shootings. All it is is another version of "he's no angel", only shifting the focus on the officer rather than villifying the victim. Blue Lives are not a oppressed race, they are not fighting for equality and against marginalization. It's no different than all the white people reminding us that all lives matter to shout down the black voice.
I totally agree. It was just a ploy to combat the black matter movement.

HeySeuss

Also, it should be alarming to most that there is a movement from several states that are introducing (and one or 2 states already have passed) bills classifying certain crimes against police officers hate crimes. Wanna bet what the majority of hate crimes will be before too long?

Minorities, especially black people, have gone through centuries of racism, economic and societal suppression, and pretty much have generally had every obstacle possible. There have been policy and law changes to help overwrite these inherent challenges, like Affirmative Action, but unfortunately so many things have conspired against these minorities that many of them fit the stereotypes whether wholly or partially. This makes it harder for equality to become the norm and gives shallow statistics for those who are either racist and trying to make themselves feel better with pseudo-intellectualism or it creates a climate of ignorant discussion on the topic.

Which police, it's just a highly flawed fraternity often more focused on protecting their own than holding everyone accountable. There are plenty of great cops, and the majority I would assume are fine. So in a very particular, not really fair perspective minorities like cops are judged by the worst that their demographic has.

Still, it's not a very good comparison.

HeatBoost

I just don't understand how so often the police at like, an organizational level, have trouble grasping this concept.

Even in a perfect world with no racism (pffblblttblt) cops would still get shit. It's the nature of the job. 90% of the time you are a nuisance to people, except for the 10% of time when they need help. That's how it is whenever you're in a position of authority, of any kind.

And when you ADD the institutional racism that oozes through so many cracks of American life, especially when it comes to law and law enforcement, to the formula? With so many bad actors, in an age of wall to wall news coverage where there are cameras everywhere? When people have a natural tendency to dislike you PLUS actual legitimate pretty heinous reasons to dislike you, what do you expect? Every day to be a ticker tape parade? Every police officer to be treated like a hero?

Being a cop on some level is like any other service job. You have to be willing to put up with a certain level of bullshit from people. The main difference, though, is that you carry a gun and can arrest people who are particularly belligerent. That alone should mean that you're more tolerant than a waiter at Red Lobster or the person who works the service desk at the AT&T store. Power+Responsibility.

But instead... there's whining. And protectionism. They demand respect one moment and make a mockery accountability the next. And even the ones who "haven't done anything wrong" seem to not get it. They get soooo defensive it makes you wonder how true their claims of no wrongdoing are. Isn't that a actual police logic? If you didn't do anything wrong, why are you acting so guilty?

Then again why should I expect cops to have any dignity when the president doesn't

royalan

Oh for fuck's sake, cops. STOP IT.

You are not a race. You weren't born a cop. You weren't forced to be a cop. Nobody put a gun to YOUR head.

You are the representatives of a corrupt institution. And you are that by choice.

You want people to respect you? Be the change you want to see.

But no, we'll just continue to get a bunch of silence from the "good ones" when the so-called bad ones shoot innocent people in the streets, and then a bunch of whining when they receive the criticism they deserve.

Codeblue

Even if this wasn't the dumbest thing I've ever heard, being a race doesn't suddenly absolve you of being a proven racist institution. Get your profession together instead of crying about "racism".

This makes me more racist against cops

jk, I couldn't think worse of american police than I already do. This is just ridiculously stupid false equivalence and a classic rightwing tactic of just saying whatever the fuck and trying to convince people with repeated misinformation i.e. "What about BLM and antifa"

Apt101

Par for the course for the NYPD. They indoctrinate their officers, dissociate them from the communities they come from. Us vs them.

Top Bottom