• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York Police Union Condemns What It Terms ‘Blue Racism’

Enzom21

Yep, let's stereotype all individuals.

Fuck, this is why we aren't solving any problem.

I must confess, my first reaction is to be afraid of cops (I'm brown), but I always treat them with respect and hope for the best.
The problem isn’t solved because cops aren’t solving it. Citizens don’t have to do a damn thing, the onus of change is on cops.
Don’t you find it a little fucked up that you have to “hope for the best” when dealing with cops?

The problem isn’t solved because cops aren’t solving it. Citizens don’t have to do a damn thing, the onus of change is on cops.
Don’t you find it a little fucked up that you have to “hope for the best” when dealing with cops?
The onus is not on cops as nice as that would be. The only change will come from legislators, jurors, and judges. We need to get rid of qualified immunity for police officers, end the drug war that mandates infinitely more police actions, firmly enshrine punishment for officials who abuse authority, legally abolish police unions, and dozens of other steps. Asking authoritarians to self police and reduce their own power and influence will NEVER happen.

The onus is not on cops as nice as that would be. The only change will come from legislators, jurors, and judges. We need to get rid of qualified immunity for police officers, end the drug war that mandates infinitely more police actions, firmly enshrine punishment for officials who abuse authority, legally abolish police unions, and dozens of other steps. Asking authoritarians to self police and reduce their own power and influence will NEVER happen.

while you are right, if the "good cops" would unite and come out vocally and strongly against some their own that give them a bad name and perpetuate the broken state of the criminal justice system that might help push things along. Instead they stay silent because they don't want to make waves. Fuck'em.

blue cop
blue cop
blue cop
blue cop

2 days ago, there were no blue cops

recently police coined blue cops to distract discussion and be strawmen

blue cop
blue cop
blue cop

Not only is this incredibly stupid, but show me a cop these days that actually wears blue. Seems like it's all authoritarian black these days.

MV5BMTA3NDQ5NDQ4OTJeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDI1NDU4MTE@._V1_.jpg

God, that poster looks fucking awful.

Having the audacity to say you are treated worse as a police officer than actual people of color. Fucking babies. Give us a reason not to fucking hate you. At least we aren't beating and murdering you out on the streets.

watershed

Banned
Blue racism my ass. More like people recognize police departments as the corrupt institutions of systemic racism and violence that they are. I know for a fact that there are "good people" who work in PDs. That doesn't change the fact that PDs were built on white fear and perpetuate the oppression of POC.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Same, but then I saw it was from a police union.

A union is an association of employees banding together to get better working conditions. A professional association is a grouping of professionals voluntary enforcing ethics upon its members. A police union tough, seems to be an association of people trying to maintain their existence above the law. There really isn't much like it.

The mafia

Cops are among one of the most protected classes in the nation, nobody else can choke someone else to death with clear, HD footage being taken and not even see the inside of a courtroom because the prosecutor decided to softball the Grand Jury to do his buddies in the department a favor.

If the worst happens, and a cop gets murdered in the line of duty, you don't have to worry about whether or not the perpetrator will face justice. They don't have to march to get people to even realize that their deaths happen, and they won't be called terrorists for speaking out about one of their own being killed, or be compared to Nazis by the POTUS.

They forgot to mention how "team BLUE" beat civil rights activists like MLK upside the head with nighsticks and sent dogs after them.
The audacity of these people to put that man's name in their vile mouths.

F34R

Any of GAF's resident cops want to chime in on this?
When you see threads involving law enforcement, send me a PM so I can get around to it quicker lol.
Don't get your hopes up....
Here I am. ;)

I can say that the stuff in the OP wasn't meant to be literal. Like they aren't literally saying that there is a blue race, or that being a cop is a race. That's not what it's about at all.

It basically boils down to be being generalized, as can be very well seen in just about any thread here involving the police.

That's how I understand what is meant by the info in the OP.

Did people see me in uniform and automatically think I was a bad cop. Sure. I understand it, and never let that cloud my responsibilities.

Not sure what anyone would want out of a reply from me, but if there are any specific questions, fire away.

When you see threads involving law enforcement, send me a PM so I can get around to it quicker lol.

Here I am. ;)

I can say that the stuff in the OP wasn't meant to be literal. Like they aren't literally saying that there is a blue race, or that being a cop is a race. That's not what it's about at all.

It basically boils down to be being generalized, as can be very well seen in just about any thread here involving the police.

Did people see me in uniform and automatically think I was a bad cop. Sure. I understand it, and never let that cloud my responsibilities.

Not sure what anyone would want out of a reply from me, but if there are any specific questions, fire away.

Why are you so obviously downplaying the callous lack of respect for minorities from your organization?

People don't use Blue Lives Matter as anything other than an answer to BLM to minimize the importance of BLM and to throw shade on the number of police shootings. All it is is another version of "he's no angel", only shifting the focus on the officer rather than villifying the victim. Blue Lives are not a oppressed race, they are not fighting for equality and against marginalization. It's no different than all the white people reminding us that all lives matter to shout down the black voice.

BlueLivesMatter is just another front in America's race wars. The people behind BlueLivesMatter dont get emotive, passionate, or righteously indignant when a cop gets murdered by a White man, (and that happens often) the target & focus of their ire is 90% racially driven.

I'll bite. How do you feel about that phrase? I mean, I know you know what they mean by it, but how is throwing the word racism smart by any stretch? How is it ok to take MLK's words and change them to fit your narrative?

F34R

Why are you so obviously downplaying the callous lack of respect for minorities from your organization?

I'm not downplaying it at all. I am simply explaining how I interpreted it. I don't equate what was in the OP to race at all. Also, that isn't MY organization. What a union or department from 800 miles away from me does, doesn't have a single thing to do with me or the department I worked for.

I'll bite. How do you feel about that phrase? I mean, I know you know what they mean by it, but how is throwing the word racism smart by any stretch?

I addressed it replying to the other post, but just for the sake of it, I don't feel the same way at all. I wouldn't use it, and don't agree with it being used in the way it was.

That MLK quote is the icing on the shit cake. Like holy cow this is one of the most tone deaf stuff I have ever seen.

The more I think about it, the more I believe its intended as an insult, especially that MLK quote. They know full well about the history of US law enforcement and the Civil Rights movement. That is a blatant troll I think.

BlackHeron

Neo Member
Lmao NeoGAF hating on ALL cops is the same reason why there are so many fights between different groups.
Not everyone is the same, stop wishing cops "to quit their jobs", and thinking that every person is the same, and that every cop is corrupted.
For every cop that fucks up, there are hundreds that every single day provide incredible help and service to communities.
This forum has become Outrage 101 in every thread that is about political or racial topics.
Jesus Christ.

KarmaCow

If it was unintentional, this would be hilariously absurd how they seemingly have all the pieces to understand the effects of racism but have assembled it into this. But they know what they are doing, so it's disgustingly brazen how they're trying to co-opt people like MLK Jr to deflect criticisms of institutional racism.

Lmao NeoGAF hating on ALL cops is the same reason why there are so many fights between different groups.
Not everyone is the same, stop wishing cops "to quit their jobs", and thinking that every person is the same, and that every cop is corrupted.
For every cop that fucks up, there are hundreds that every single day provide incredible help and service to communities.
This forum has become Outrage 101 in every thread that is about political or racial topics.
Jesus Christ.

NeoGAF was unbanned?! When did that happen? I don't see any of his post in this thread..🤔

Can't wait until republicans add them to protected class at the federal level.

Jesus Christ.

tenor.gif

I must confess, my first reaction is to be afraid of cops (I'm brown), but I always treat them with respect and hope for the best.

The problem is when the best doesn't happen and there's no punishment or restitution to the victims.

Which is why the police in general are getting a poor reputation; a lack of consequences. Essentially, you allege an issue in a vacuum, when in actuality, the problem is one of their own making and one they need to stand up and fix.

SaviourMK2

Yeah no, I'm never referring to a police officer as a Blue Life or a Blue Person.
It's not racist nor will it ever be racist to hate a police officer. Police will be hated NO MATTER WHO THEY ARE.
The thing that utterly pisses me off is that they don't seem to grasp that they are figures of AUTHORITY. There has NEVER in the history of humanity, except maybe Sparta, where a civilization has been loathing toward figures of authority (If hating a police officer is racist then mocking the president should be a death sentence).
If a cop is an asshole I will call them an asshole. If people are mad at them for pulling them over, giving them tickets, telling you to pick up litter, or something more drastic or busting them for drugs, then they're doing a good job. It's the Police's JOB to enforce rules people don't like.
You want people, specifically minorities (Because don't bullshit me, that's what it's all about, specifically Blacks, Hispanics and Asians not liking police), to like you more? Call out a crooked cop. Petition for better on scene training.
Don't be the fucking twats that stood there and watched another cop plant fucking drugs on someone's property and be OK with it. Take classes in restraining courses instead of beating someone senseless with a baton.
BE A POLICE OFFICER. SERVE AND PROTECT.

I dont care if cops get stereotyped. They have the power of the unions,local and federal government at their disposal to rectify a situation where they end up wrongly treated or physically harmed.

Meanwhile, a private citizen can get murdered by a cop and the cop will get desk duty or a leave of absence with back pay waiting for him when the jury acquits him of all charges.

Derwind

Here I am. ;)

Dude, trying to equate moral equivalence with textbook definitions of racism and treatment of police at the hands of... what amounts to... criticism? Is not the same or even in the same stratosphere.

The force is guilty of tremendous amounts of unacknowledged corruption, brutality and ironically enough, racism.

Nothing's going to change if your unions & leadership continue to try to one up the suffering of those they brutalized by trying to push this bullshit narrative of "blue racism".

The mistrust from the community that the force gets is self-inflicted and trying to pass the buck to those victimized shows a huge lack of accountability & courage.

F34R

Dude, trying to equate moral equivalence with textbook definitions of racism and treatment of police at the hands of... what amounts to... criticism? Is not the same or even in the same stratosphere.

The force is guilty of tremendous amounts of unacknowledged corruption, brutality and ironically enough, racism.

Nothing's going to change if your unions & leadership continue to try to one up the suffering of those they brutalized by trying to push this bullshit narrative of "blue racism".

The mistrust from the community that the force gets is self-inflicted and trying to pass the buck to those victimized shows a huge lack of accountability & courage.

Go back and read the rest of the thread. I agree with you 100%. I didn't say anything otherwise. What you're quoting from me is how I can see it from the inside, not how I personally feel about it.

Derwind

Go back and read the rest of the thread. I agree with you 100%. I didn't say anything otherwise. What you're quoting from me is how I can see it from the inside, not how I personally feel about it.

My apologies, I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Jesus Christ.

Good work mods!

Jesus Christ.

Outrage!!!!

MarionCB

Well, this is obviously ridiculous and a bunch of bullshit, but what the hell at that MLK quote. Besides not being a race, the NYPD are being judged by the content of their characters, as amply demonstrated by their long-term and consistent actions. You're living the dream, boys. Now stop being racist and unjust fucklords and start the deep system-wide reform that is necessary; otherwise shut the fuck up and deal with correctly being judged negatively.

Top Bottom