• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zealand Politician Calls Out Disney For Overweight Portrayal of Moana's Maui

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzyfrog

I feel like the stereotype of 'fat Islander' certainly exists, but this seems like a fairly wild conclusion for critics to jump to. Especially because he doesn't appear to be all that fat, is a demigod (and thus technically not even human), and we've seen all of 45 seconds of him in motion.

Going to file this controversy under "Can't please everyone, I guess" for the time being.

Nah Islanders were always fit as shit until white man showed up..

There genetics do not mix well with the fatty meats they were introduced to (NZ sends alot of very fatty corned beef etc to the islands)

Now yes Polynesians make up the largest numbers of obese people in NZ (per capita)

Reset

tumblr_inline_o9i32qObdx1tyi01g_1280.jpg

Some of you must be blind, this guy is fat.

...is there a history of stereotyping Polynesian men stereotyped as being fat? Because if not, I don't understand how this counts as "fat shaming". Or fat at all, really. He's hardly being presented as slovenly or obese or anything. He's clearly super skilled and presented as a tough character.

...This doesn't make sense.
Its not even a stereotype. For example American Samoans are literally having a obesity issue, with 95% of the population being obese (highest in the world) as a result of the prevalence of cheap fast food culture.

I guess as a result the imagery of Maui here becomes less of a self-image thing (hard for anyone to be fat shamed in a society where everyone is fat) and more of a public health issue thing.

The Lamp

So the two Disney movies with Pacific Islanders have thicker female characters. Not Cool.

Yeah I agree it was bizarre, but in general they made most of the characters thicker in Lilo and Stitch, regardless of gender. However, the few skinny characters that were in the movie I recall were white.

A) Isn't making one of the heroes a fat guy the opposite of "fat-shaming"?

B) Isn't insisting that the fat guy be skinnier the epitome of "fat-shaming"?

C) See A and B

This is correct. It is not fat shaming. I'm oddly perplexed by the original assertion, but hey... whatever.

This is the Disney that cast an actual fucking Hawaiian Polynesian girl in her first acting gig ever for Moana even though it is a goddamn voice role

They
Cannot
Win

Nope. No creator can. Are people surprised that 7 billion people on Earth, that everyone has a different opinion on topics and entertainment?

If you're trying to please everyone, you will fail. Sorry.

johnsmith

remember me
...is there a history of stereotyping Polynesian men stereotyped as being fat? Because if not, I don't understand how this counts as "fat shaming". Or fat at all, really. He's hardly being presented as slovenly or obese or anything. He's clearly super skilled and presented as a tough character.

...This doesn't make sense.

There absolutely is. Here's an example from Pulp Fiction, but heard plenty of it in real life. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AvbuNj37Z8I

HiiiLife

Am Polynesian.

Can confirm were built like that and chicks in fact have legs like Moana.

People bitch about anything. lol.

I don't agree with with them but the people going "You can't win" is a worrying to say the least.

Yep.

I don't agree with them either. And, yes, they are using the term "fat shaming" completely incorrectly. But the "fat islander" is a stereotype that some people are very sensitive towards, and I think just looking at Maui and saying "he's big, not fat" is a subjective interpretation. The design seems purposefully vague to me. Furthermore the character looks nothing like Maui as he is traditionally depicted, which could also be an issue for some people, understandably so since their gods don't pop up on screens all too often.

Again, I disagree with them. I lean towards the character appearing muscular...hulking, almost, and barrel chested. And, again, yes, their misuse of the term "fat shaming" is unfortunate in that it undermines any discussion of their concerns. But to completely dismiss those concerns out of hand, to react to them with a little bit of our own outrage, is a troubling trend in this thread.

Fuzyfrog

This is why that stereotype exists.

World ranking % of overweight persons (age 15 and over)
1. Nauru 94.5
2. Micronesia 91.1
3. Cook Islands 90.9
4. Tonga 90.8
5. Niue 81.7
6. Samoa 80.4

The influence of western civilization on the pacific islands...

Can you elaborate on why it's worrying?

See above. There's no "win" state. You do your best with the work you have and make choices that you feel are best for your audience. When you receive feedback, you decide if you want to listen to it and make changes or not.

The only difference now is the internet makes it so everyone's statements and personal preferences reached much farther than they used to. Even to the creators of our entertainment.

Yep.

I don't agree with them either. And, yes, they are using the term "fat shaming" completely incorrectly. But the "fat islander" is a stereotype that some people are very sensitive towards, and I think just looking at Maui and saying "he's big, not fat" is a subjective interpretation. The design seems purposefully vague to me. Furthermore the character looks nothing like Maui as he is traditionally depicted, which could also be an issue for some people, understandably so since their gods don't pop up on screens all too often.

Again, I disagree with them. I lean towards the character appearing muscular...hulking, almost, and barrel chested. And, again, yes, their misuse of the term "fat shaming" is unfortunate in that it undermines any discussion of their concerns. But to completely dismiss those concerns out of hand, to react to them with a little bit of our own outrage, is a troubling trend in this thread.

Exactly how I feel.

A) Isn't making one of the heroes a fat guy the opposite of "fat-shaming"?

B) Isn't insisting that the fat guy be skinnier the epitome of "fat-shaming"?

C) See A and B
Yes, and yes.

Also, isn't demanding that every single character of a demographic exhibit all the stereotypes of that demographic essentially asking Disney to be racist?

See above. There's no "win" state. You do your best with the work you have and make choices that you feel are best for your audience. When you receive feedback, you decide if you want to listen to it and make changes or not.

The only difference now is the internet makes it so everyone's statements and personal preferences reached much farther than they used to. Even to the creators of our entertainment.
Better than I would have put it.

Speevy

Banned
I don't understand why a Polynesian character has to be good looking and fit.

If that's his character, then he can be whatever they want him to be.

ugly

Basically. They have no idea what they're complaining about.

Yes they do, you just don't understand because the thread title gets it wrong. It's not being upset at fat-shaming. It's about setting a good example for the role-model of Maui who is a particular character and important to the culture of Polynesian places.

Speevy

Banned
And I guess people will then have feelings and opinions about it.

Well yeah, but he's a cartoon character. They're not making fun of ugly or fat people. Perhaps he's proud of who he is in the movie, and everyone else loves him too.

"Shaming" is grasping at straws.

Kurdel

Banned

Ok yeah, I get it now, thanks!

jts

...hate me...
Some of you must be blind, this guy is fat.

He’s fat alright but you can tell his biceps, triceps, shoulders, pecs, and his gut curve is slight instead of just hanging below his waist.

So he’s like a massively built man with some fat covering it. He’s fit-fat, dad bod+, whatever. Not just fat-fat.

If all the characters are thin = fat shaming

If one of the characters isn't thin = fat shaming

Based off the trailer, I don't agree with the claims being made. The demigod is on the thicker side, but I'd assume most of that is muscle given his athleticism on display in the trailer alone. And even if it wasn't, it'd be cool to see a bigger character play a prominent role. I don't see how portraying different types of bodies is fat shaming simply because your idea of the demigod is different from how Disney is portraying it.

Aselith

He's not fat though?

Fat is a state of mind. Look at his eyes. You can see his shame and self-loathing. You can tell he cries himself to sleep of a night while he slathers his body in Spam and eats pineapple and ham pizza. He knows Hawaiian pizza is wrong but can't help himself from falling to its evil siren call. Shame, *ting* shame *ting*, shame *ting*,shame *ting*,shame *ting*,shame *ting*,shame *ting*,shame *ting*,shame *ting*,shame *ting*,shame *ting*,

PKrockin

His body type reminded me of Wreck-It Ralph too. Or Bluto from Popeye. Got some fat on him, but my first impression is "big and strong" not "flabby". His shoulders are broad and he doesn't even seem to have much of a belly from what I can see.

n84kuKe.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom