• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zealand Politician Calls Out Disney For Overweight Portrayal of Moana's Maui

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes they do, you just don't understand because the thread title gets it wrong. It's not being upset at fat-shaming. It's about setting a good example for the role-model of Maui who is a particular character and important to the culture of Polynesian places.

You know what, you are completely right. I can't believe I didn't catch that.

The term fat-shaming does appear in the article but not in the quoted bits (unfortunately it looks like the original Facebook post was taken down, so I can't check if it popped up there at all); it is effectively sloppy editorializing by the author of the article. Strangely, the second piece referenced here does not actually talk about Maui or Moana at all. Yet it is linked to as though it has to do with the topic.

So all this outrage over the use of the term "fat-shaming" is directed at the wrong people. The article itself is garbage designed to provoke exactly the kind of response we have seen in this thread.

brian-shaw-ppcorn3.jpg

Is this man fat?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
First thing I thought of was legendary sumo wrestler Chiyonofuji. But they're acting like he's Konishiki.

vxaEaFo.jpg

NGiYpNi.jpg

i thought the whole movie was going for an exaggerated or larger-than-life visual motif on their characters.

he looks like a strong man character, which makes even more sense given his deityhood

it lends itself to interpretation through this movie's specific art direction, and it's...perplexing.

The term fat-shaming does appear in the article but not in the quoted bits (unfortunately it looks like the original Facebook post was taken down, so I can't check if it popped up there at all); it is effectively sloppy editorializing by the author of the article. Strangely, the second piece referenced here does not actually talk about Maui or Moana at all. Yet it is linked to as though it has to do with the topic.

So all this outrage over the use of the term "fat-shaming" is directed at the wrong people. The article itself is garbage designed to provoke exactly the kind of response we have seen in this thread.

I've been noticing this kind of thing a lot lately, where article writers are taking advantage of the whole "outrage culture" discussion by over-exaggerating the complaints of random people about things. Too many instances of minor comments on twitter or facebook being portrayed as "movements" or "backlash".

PSqueak

Banned
They do it with islander characters. Lilo and her sister had thicker body designs than Disney usually does.

Actually, i think in the case of Lilo and Nani, it was because of Chris Sanders' style, dude draws em thick.

In any case, are these people nuts? You can argue he has a gut, but the guy doesn't look fats in the least, his body shape expresses nothing but raw power, body builders look chiseled and shit, but it's guys like what maui represent that are actually bodies of raw power, like those guys in "the strongest man of the world" competition. He aint fat, he's powerful!

This is true and the thread title has been changed to reflect this.

I'm having trouble seeing the issue here. Some people of all ethnicities are large, and some aren't. Does this character happen to just be large, or did they make half of the jokes in the movie revolve around the character's weight? If the former... Sounds like more faux internet outrage.

I don't think it's right for us to blow off the complaint as a product of outrage culture when many posters here don't even seem to be aware of the stereotype (or the cause of it). Who am I to speak for Polynesians? It's good to have other minority voices heard and not just the ones we are used to hearing.

I don't think it's right for us to blow off the complaint as a product of outrage culture when many posters here don't even seem to be aware of the stereotype (or the cause of it). Who am I to speak for Polynesians? It's good to have other minority voices heard and not just the ones we are used to hearing.

I'm very aware of the stereotype. But unless the movie actually spends time fat shaming the character, with jokes that are in poor taste, this is the exact definition of outrage culture.

But yeah, Disney should be forced to redesign the character. We should no longer allow animated characters to be designed with different body types as to not offend anyone that might be self conscious or push stereotypes. Then people with larger body types can get offended that they aren't represented in media. Continue the cycle.

Calamari41

41 > 38
One take...

screencapture-www-facebook-com-bloodysamoanart-photos-a-656492654393047-1073741829-130905306951787-1165071886868452-1466972214459-1.jpg

(from this Guardian piece and Mr. Mulipola's facebook page)

Thanks for this, very interesting.

When compared to the father, this design clearly to me seems to be going for "over the top strong" rather than "obese."

It honestly reminds me of the way they portrayed the genie in Aladdin, when they were trying to express his otherworldly strength. The difference being that one is in total human form and one is a "spirit."

aladdin-evil_genie_.jpg

Maui does have fat feet though.

jax

Banned
The movie looks awful, but not because of this. It's because The Rock's character looks exactly like wreck it Ralph.

I'm very aware of the stereotype. But unless the movie actually spends time fat shaming the character, with jokes that are in poor taste, this is the exact definition of outrage culture.

But yeah, Disney should be forced to redesign the character. We should no longer allow animated characters to be designed with different body types as to not offend anyone that might be self conscious or push stereotypes. Then people with larger body types can get offended that they aren't represented in media. Continue the cycle.

Disney should be trying its best not to push stereotypes. Your second paragraph is pure straw man. I never said that different body types shouldn't be represented. It's just a bit suspicious that we now finally have a more robust protagonist (or sidekick?) and it just so happens to fit this stereotype. I'm not saying Disney intended for this to be negative, but that doesn't matter. We should be looking at the specifics of this story and not just hand waving, like I see many doing.

Maybe it will end up being a positive portrayal that uplifts the people of this heritage. The exact portrayal of this character has yet to be seen. But we should let this conversation happen without the knee jerk of hostility.

The movie looks awful, but not because of this. It's because The Rock's character looks exactly like wreck it Ralph.

I don't know why people are saying this. Just because they both have large body types does not mean they are the same. They look completely different to me. Maui is rounder and softer, he does not have Ralph's wide shoulders or heavily exaggerated hand size. Ralph's head shape is squarish while Maui's is squat and roundish, and he has no visible neck. Maui's facial features are more intelligent, almost mischievous, while Ralph's suggest brutishness.

Even their postures are completely different - Ralph hunches forward slightly as he moves, almost like a gorilla, while Maui seems to lean back a bit to emphasize his large chest.

DOWN

Banned
The more interesting thing to me is that they made the girl have a fuller figure than they usually allow the princesses to have. She is less slender and waif-like than for example Elsa.

tumblr_inline_o9i32qObdx1tyi01g_1280.jpg
He doesn't look fat. Looks like an older wrestler or something

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I can kind of understand where she is coming from. Maui might not actually be fat fat but the dude is about as "big boned" as they come. It's far beyond strong man levels of functionally big and strong. The father isn't so great either. They both absolutely play into the stereotype, or reality honestly given the serious prevalence of obesity on many pacific islands, of Polynesians being larger by a significant margin.

It's especially evident if, and from what I can tell it is that, Maui has never been previously depicted or described as being large like that. That's not the image the real peoples who see him as a demi-god view him as. Imagine how people would react if Thor looked that like that in the next Avengers or better yet Hercules in his Disney animated film. But they wouldn't do that because popular perception of ancient Greeks goes by classical art which is all about crazy cut dudes with bulging muscles. Not realistic strong man types. People wouldn't accept that depiction, but they will this because they've seen really large Polynesians before and it fits their idea of them. Which is an image a lot of actual Polynesians probably wish wasn't the case.

Disney has artistic licence and all that, but it's pretty evident they are modeling these characters off modern day perceptions of PIs. That's a positive in some ways, it was really great watching that video of Auli'i Cravalho getting the part of Moana, but given these complaints it's also not perfect. Also for some reason reminds of Tito Makani Jr. from Nickelodeon's Rocket Power.

This is not a fat person, the Labor MP who made the statement took it down from FB, and the People Magazine article calling this "fat shaming" was horrible. So... Not sure where this thread can go from here. What is there to say about a bad tabloid article about a retracted social media post?

SCCZEN_130616SPLMOANA2_620x310.jpg

the-first-footage-from-the-upcoming-disney-film-moana-has-been-released-maui-and-heihei-776705.jpg

CMd4R3HU8AA1-28.jpg

This is why that stereotype exists.

World ranking % of overweight persons (age 15 and over)
1. Nauru 94.5
2. Micronesia 91.1
3. Cook Islands 90.9
4. Tonga 90.8
5. Niue 81.7
6. Samoa 80.4

The influence of western civilization on the pacific islands...

"It's not racism, it's fact!" The fuck...?

There's truth to all negative stereotypes, that doesn't mean it's okay to play into them. But I guess I must've missed the myth about Maui living in western civilization and becoming obese.

PaulloDEC

The answer for me comes from how you react when you see the character.

Example: When I saw the picture of Maui up-thread the kind of words that came to mind were "huge", "massive", "strong" and "powerful", rather than "fat", "obese", "pudgy" or whatever. The design for me evokes power and imposing stature rather than anything negative relating to weight.

If you told me that character is a mighty warrior, I'd be like "Yeah, I can see that for sure".

Actually, i think in the case of Lilo and Nani, it was because of Chris Sanders' style, dude draws em thick.

Yep. If you ever google the guy, he does a lot of pin-up art using the exact same style he used for Lilo & Stitch. It's kind of surprising seeing characters that look almost identical to Nani in such sexualized images, haha.

Oersted

It is criticism, a very normal thing. Criticism can be right, wrong and any shade inbetween. The closest we are getting to "outrage culture" are reactions like "They can not win", which sort of indicates that some can not handle criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom