• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zealand Politician Calls Out Disney For Overweight Portrayal of Moana's Maui

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsmith

remember me
Whoa! I can't believe I missed that at first. Is that real and unaltered? If not, that's a great edit job!

It's shopped

moana-01-800.jpg

AndrewPL

It would be the same as if they made Thor or Hercules fat (I don't buy that he has a muscle gut)

I grew up with Maui stories of him catching the sun and fishing up the north island etc and they are stealing that culture and ruining it....but that's not new for Disney.

Skux

You can't really ask to be represented and then complain that you weren't represented right.

And most Samoans don't look like The Rock, either.

Any way you cut it, this is an incredibly sexist quote.

He skims right past the actual main character to go "but the man is fat!".
He skims right past the actual main character to go "but the male God figure isn't the stereotypical image of a male body!".

grimmiq

Any way you cut it, this is an incredibly sexist quote.

He skims right past the actual main character to go "but the man is fat!".
He skims right past the actual main character to go "but the male God figure isn't the stereotypical image of a male body!".

It is great that Moana is the lead. However, it is disappointing that Maui, one of our beloved historical ancestors from hundreds of years ago, who was a very strong man [and] a skilled navigator, is depicted to be so overweight in this kids’ movie.

He has no problem with the female lead and praises the decision.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with his body, his face on the other hand creeps me the fuck out and gets far worse when he does the people's eyebrow in the trailer.

The dude's got crazy big hands and feet. Either that, or the girl is seriously petite.

He's not fat though, he's big. That seems to be mostly muscle.

G.ZZZ

So western man arrive on pacific islands, make everyone there previously fit obese as shit. Centuries later Disney's movies with thicker characters have coincidentally no white ones , but only islanders who now suffer from the worst obesity epidemic in the world because of said white man, and sell them as "promoting their body image".

And those characters aren't even from the modern era, so it's not even nowhere accurate, it's simply a fat stereotype applied retroactively because reasons

The dude's got crazy big hands and feet. Either that, or the girl is seriously petite.

He's not fat though, he's big. That seems to be mostly muscle.

He's also a God. He's supposed to be exaggerated. He carries around a giant fish hook that was used to create the Hawaiian Islands and turns into a hawk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom