• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda: Twilight Princess HD Footage

SCReuter

- Can you aim and move like in the WW:HD? Basically FPS controls for the ranged weapons.
No you can't move, but you can aim with the gyroscope in 1st person.
That's a big loss. It's partly why I've always had a strong preference for the Wii version of Twilight Princess.

Does third-person aiming work with gyroscope controls?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
This one will not get bought at launch because of the Wii Remote abscense.

The use of the speaker was amazing, leaving outside the Zelda discovery tune which sounded awful. But the "swoosh" of the sword, the chord of the bow runing out of arrows or the chain like sound of the hookshot will be missed.

Not to mention fishing withouth Wii Remote is a gigantic downgrade. Gently swinging the Wii Remote to lure, pulling it up to hook and reeling with the Nunchuk while the speaker makes the clicking sound added alot to the experience.

The inmersion of aiming, the 4 item slots, the interactive HUD and less overall thumb gymnastics.

Wii Remote support would have made it the true definitive version, now it feels incomplete.

This. Any enthusiasm I had for this announcement died the moment they confirmed no Wiimote support.

SCReuter

Link can backflip off Epona at any time in the GCN release by holding down "R" and pressing "A."

Has anyone tried this in the Wii U version?

mrkgoo

So no wiimote support? is this the "left-handed" version, that the GameCube had? I always wanted to get the GC version, partially for collection's sake, but also I wanted to see if the game was much better with proper camera controls.

Does this have gyro aiming at least?

MrGameBoy

That's a big loss. It's partly why I've always had a strong preference for the Wii version of Twilight Princess.

Really? I thought that was in Skyward Sword whenever you use the bow or dousing. If I recall correctly, when aiming, the Wii version fixed Link in place, but allowed turning the camera left or right via analog stick. As for third-person aiming, I believe so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6zifGfbYxY

You now what's the best part of TPHD?

A Zelda game WITHOUT jaggies.

So good.
Along with much crisper textures too. Seriously, the original game had some glaringly blurry-looking environments.

So no wiimote support? is this the "left-handed" version, that the GameCube had? I always wanted to get the GC version, partially for collection's sake, but also I wanted to see if the game was much better with proper camera controls.

Refer to the video in the aforementioned link in this post.

I don't actually remember who I'm referring to specifically :D
...it's okay, usually nobody remembers me. :(

BY2K

Membero Americo
Always loved the way the Fused Shadow appears after beating a boss.

And what the hell is he doing that boss with the Ordon Shield for?

SCReuter

Really? I thought that was in Skyward Sword whenever you use the bow or dousing. If I recall correctly, when aiming, the Wii version fixed Link in place, but allowed turning the camera left or right via analog stick. As for third-person aiming, I believe so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6zifGfbYxY
Holding down the Z button while aiming in Twilight Princess (Wii) allows you to control Link's movement instead of the camera. Just don't get too close to an enemy or else it'll switch to the lock-on view.

Wait, maybe moving while aiming is still possible with the gyroscope and ZL button in the Wii U version, but first you have to activate the over-the-shoulder camera in the options?

Always liked how the chain parts closest to the body get incandescent red while he's ignated and then cool down some time after you hit the eye.

It is also a really clever way to beat the boss and a nice combination of two items.

It would be interesting to have a direct comparsion of this temple against the Wii version, since this is one of the places that have decent texture work in the original.

NateDrake

Always liked how the chain parts closest to the body get incandescent red while he's ignated and then cool down some time after you hit the eye.

It is also a really clever way to beat the boss and a nice combination of two items.

It would be interesting to have a direct comparsion of this temple against the Wii version, since this is one of the places that have decent texture work in the original.

I could try to do a comparison of that dungeon, though it'd have to be a walkthrough of it as I don't have a save file prior to completing it. I had originally intended to stream that dungeon, but my connection was subpar and kept dropping in quality. I may try to stream the Zora stuff later this evening.

Watching footage of this is making me go crazy that we don't have the dash from SS.

Yeah, I really hope Zelda U has at least some of that increased mobility.

While i fully agree, TP is the only game besides Skyward that at least has a dash button. Of course it is a middle ground solution since it's only for the wolf form, but i remember using it quite often when you get the ability to transform at will.

TheMoon

Of course.

I linked to two wikis covering all of these things.

AdanVC

It looks great. Thanks to NateDrake for sharing loads of gameplay videos. Too bad it seems the intro was left untouched and they didn't add any enhancements to accelerate it or something. It's such a loooong and boring as hell intro IMO. It's one of the reasons I've never finished this Zelda. 5 or 6 hours in and I gave up.

JaseMath

Did we get a confirmation on the music? Is it remastered at all?

The CD contains remastered music, so hopefully that's a quasi-confirmation that the music in-game will also get the same treatment.

EDIT: To clarify, the music isn't being orchestrated ala Wind Waker HD. You'll take your remastered MIDI and you'll like it!

I am so excited. The game looks like what I was expecting.

I hope the changes make the game even better. The change I wanted most is an increase in climbing speed.

maxcriden

The CD contains remastered music, so hopefully that's a quasi-confirmation that the music in-game will also get the same treatment.

EDIT: To clarify, the music isn't being orchestrated ala Wind Waker HD. You'll take your remastered MIDI and you'll like it!

That's where the confusion is coming from, mon ami. The CD music may or may not be present in the game. Nate's got the game but AFAIK we don't have confirmation yet of whether it was for the CD only, as the comment from Nintendo about the CD kinda made it sound that way. I'd be delighted with any musical improvements, though. So I will gladly take that *and* like it!

TheMoon

WWHD had no orchestrated music.

-shadow-

WWHD was still MIDI, they just used improved sampled and changed the mixing. I hope that TPHD has gotten the same treatment.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Confirmed by GameXplain, messages telling you about the value of a rupee picked on the ground DON'T repeat after a reboot.

Fucking. Yes.

Revven

Confirmed by GameXplain, messages telling you about the value of a rupee picked on the ground DON'T repeat after a reboot.

Fucking. Yes.

Disappointingly in the same video he confirms Midna's Lament is still overridden by enemy encounter music (a question I asked). :(

Here's the link to the video with both confirmations and other questions asked, for folks wondering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmfXNIu76zk

Edit: He also confirmed the loading zones in Hyrule Field have not been changed, they are still there. Damn. What a shame. :/

It looks great. Thanks to NateDrake for sharing loads of gameplay videos. Too bad it seems the intro was left untouched and they didn't add any enhancements to accelerate it or something. It's such a loooong and boring as hell intro IMO. It's one of the reasons I've never finished this Zelda. 5 or 6 hours in and I gave up.
Its about less then 2 hours, how did it take 5 or 6?

Anyways I love the intro, I like taking it slow and getting to know my surroundings, I still think Wind Waker did it best, buts that bias for my love of Wind Waker.

21XX

Banned
So Nintendo put some Zelda U pictures as paintings in Hyrule Market store in TPHD as some cruel easter egg... :O

Youtube

Sorry if old :p

Jesus Christ I got about 30 seconds into him screaming about the pictures before closing the window. Youtube, everyone.

HvySky

Maybe I'm crazy, but I have memories of Twilight Princess being one of my favorite Zelda games. At least, of the 3D ones. It had some legit amazing dungeons. I'm super excited for this, and see if I can recapture the magic in a bottle, or realize it was a fluke. I guess it has been 10 years since I last played it. Which is fucking crazy, by the way.

Weird that the 'Twilight Princess Retrospective' video Nintendo uploaded got me hyped for the game when footage didn't. Looking forward to this now, and only a week away!

Disappointingly in the same video he confirms Midna's Lament is still overridden by enemy encounter music (a question I asked). :(

Here's the link to the video with both confirmations and other questions asked, for folks wondering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmfXNIu76zk

Edit: He also confirmed the loading zones in Hyrule Field have not been changed, they are still there. Damn. What a shame. :/

About the Midna Music: For real? What a missed opportunity.

Top Bottom