• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newborn Baby-GAF: Sleepless Nights Deluxe HD Remix

daw840

Anyone here have a hell of a time getting a 2 year old to nap without screaming until she falls asleep on the floor of her room?

Ugh...

Anyone here have a hell of a time getting a 2 year old to nap without screaming until she falls asleep on the floor of her room?

Ugh...
Everyone? My son is almost 5 and there are times he refuses to sleep even though he is clearly tired. You just have to let them cry it out. Any fighting with them is only going to make it worse.

DJ_Lae

21 months.

Time flies.

rMsnlsw.jpg

kMGnmx8.jpg

Too cute. And a great age, they're lots of fun...and able to get into way too much trouble.

My youngest is almost exactly the same age as well, and my oldest (4) finally seems to be able to get along with her now.

ioX4HsNOMB3bH.jpg

kitch9

Banned

Ugh...

Try not to make nap times a thing, once they become a thing a 2 year old is told to do they won't want to do it.

Does little one tend to drop off if out and about in the buggy or car?

daw840

Everyone? My son is almost 5 and there are times he refuses to sleep even though he is clearly tired. You just have to let them cry it out. Any fighting with them is only going to make it worse.

Yeah, that's what we frequently do but I feel bad that she's sleeping on the carpet all the time.

Try not to make nap times a thing, once they become a thing a 2 year old is told to do they won't want to do it.

Does little one tend to drop off if out and about in the buggy or car?

She used to do that all the time, now not so much.

Though the last couple days she's been doing the same thing at bedtime, she used to be easy to put to sleep at night and difficult during naps. It now seems like both are equally a pain in the ass......

mrkgoo

Our daughter is nearing 2 years. Definitely feeling the defiance.

But we're travelling at the moment and she's so exhausted she goes down easily, thankfully.

It's feeding that is a bigger issue. While abroad it seems the only she wants is rice and treats.

GlamFM

Banned
Our daughter is nearing 2 years. Definitely feeling the defiance.

But we're travelling at the moment and she's so exhausted she goes down easily, thankfully.

It's feeding that is a bigger issue. While abroad it seems the only she wants is rice and treats.

Only fishsticks and meat in general for us...

Icefire1424

Out of curiousity, about how long did it take for your respective kiddies to get into a more regular sleep routine of more than a couple hours at a time (if that) overnight? I know we're way early for anything "normal" (only 3 weeks old this Wednesday), but really looking forward to getting more than an hour or two of sleep at a time.

Think we were intially spoiled as she was actually sleeping for 3-4 hours at a time overnight within the first week, but has since started waking up every hour or two over the last week. Further complicated by the fact that I went back to work this week, and wife will also be going back early (after 5 weeks) to keep her job. Really hoping we get to the point of at least getting a few hours overnight - otherwise we'll be going to bed around 6pm knowing there will be several wakeups before 5:30 the next morning.

Out of curiousity, about how long did it take for your respective kiddies to get into a more regular sleep routine of more than a couple hours at a time (if that) overnight? I know we're way early for anything "normal" (only 3 weeks old this Wednesday), but really looking forward to getting more than an hour or two of sleep at a time.

Think we were intially spoiled as she was actually sleeping for 3-4 hours at a time overnight within the first week, but has since started waking up every hour or two over the last week. Further complicated by the fact that I went back to work this week, and wife will also be going back early (after 5 weeks) to keep her job. Really hoping we get to the point of at least getting a few hours overnight - otherwise we'll be going to bed around 6pm knowing there will be several wakeups before 5:30 the next morning.
3 Months for my oldest and closer to 4 with the twins.

Gritesh

I'm in the same boat at the moment and it's draining us. My boy is 3 weeks today and he either only sleeps for about an hour at a time or else he lays there fussing and keeping us awake. We are breastfeeding so I can't even do anything to help my wife out, I feel bad that she has to stay awake feeding and burping him and I can sleep. On the flip side when he's sleeping or awake and content I watch him while she sleeps.

Icefire1424

I'm in the same boat at the moment and it's draining us. My boy is 3 weeks today and he either only sleeps for about an hour at a time or else he lays there fussing and keeping us awake. We are breastfeeding so I can't even do anything to help my wife out, I feel bad that she has to stay awake feeding and burping him and I can sleep. On the flip side when he's sleeping or awake and content I watch him while she sleeps.

I feel your pain. I got up several times last night when kiddo started crying, but the wife told me to go back to sleep since I had to be up for work today. Was able to get some sleep, but so far behind it hurts to do anything. Can't wait for the weekend to get here so I can sleep most of the day between feeding / changing times.

mrkgoo

You have to get over the "guilt" of getting stuff done while your partner world for the baby. Goes both ways.

It goes one way beyond breast feeding. Looking after a toddler, bathing, putting kid to bed, feeding meals, etc. it becomes like a tag team. One parent does something while the other does something else - and eating, sleeping and resting have to fit in to all of this. So while she is feeding and you can't do anything but sleep, don't feel bad about it. You'll need the sleep and getting some so you can be alert and energised when your wife isn't is so so important.

Having both parents extremely sleep deprived is a downward spiral.

(Of course, you have to both understand this - doesn't help if one parent rubs it in "well YOU get to sleep!")

mrkgoo

Only fishsticks and meat in general for us...

Our daughter doesn't really take to meat much. Doesn't like chewing.

But as it turned out, her loss of appetite while travelling was illness-related. She contracted some sort of stomach virus and couldn't keep anything heavier than white rice and bread down.

... Which I got as well. Wiped me out for a few days.

Update on my now almost 9 mo old sleep waking- if ANYONE in this thread has been on the fence about sleep training, I cannot recommend the Ferber method enough. It took three nights (correctly), one of which was at Grandma's (which we were worried about since he wasn't home), but that's all it took. It was hard, especially the first night. We ended up doing it wrong the first night and picked him up which is what he wanted, just to get him quiet and then put him back down. Big mistake. Each time he cried harder and we had to end up co sleeping to keep him calm. The second night (the first night we did it right) it took about an hour and a half total for him to go back to sleep on his own. We went in, put him back on his back (he was standing or sitting up), quick shush/pat, and then left for awhile. Each time he got quieter and quieter until he was asleep. The next two nights he was asleep within a half hour. Now if he wakes up, he's either asleep by the time we check on him, or within 10-15 mins. That's if he wakes up. He's been sleeping through the night almost every night. He also seems happier during the day, is much more active and is more talkative than the couple of weeks he was waking up.

Now, we're on to babyproofing our sunken living room and staircase with only a halfwall on one side and no banisters on another part. This is becoming a challenge in itself.

BFIB

We have our C-Section scheduled for Monday. I'm a little nervous, because according to my wife, the baby never attempted to turn. We've been at the doctor weekly now, and two ultrasounds still show her breach.

I'm hoping its just breach, and there's nothing wrong w/ the baby. Any other soon to be dads been through this?

CrankyJay

Banned
Any advice for flying with an 18 month old?

We flew with her last year when she was 6 months old but she slept most of the time. Now that she's older and more aware I can see her getting cranky about being confined to our laps.

We flew with her last year when she was 6 months old but she slept most of the time. Now that she's older and more aware I can see her getting cranky about being confined to our laps.

After some experience flying with our 18 month old I would say : food that she likes and candies for the hopefuly nice and patient people in the neighbouring seats : )

Our second son has just learned the words 'no' and 'mine'. :D

Obviously it would be wrong to post real footage of him doing this on NeoGAF, but he sounds exactly like this.

Definitely got the no, but hmm I'm not sure my little girl ever said mine oddly enough. It gets worse though; just just turned three and she flipped my words on me.

Me: "Let's try this; I think that's a good idea"
Her: "No. That's not a good idea. That's a bad idea."

I was in shock.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

How long a flight? I would recommend a baby bjorn carrier for safety and as it allows for less wriggling and moving about. At least one electronic device with her favorite show, music etc.

mrkgoo

Just got back from Taiwan and Japan with our 20-22 month old.

Not sure what advice I can offer though, as each kid handles it differently. Out toddler likes to sleep face down in her cot and never likes to sleep in out arms. You can see how that works out.

Neighbouring toddler slept the whole flight.

In some ways, as mentioned, you just gotta suck it up and be "that" parent. The kid will eventually get tired and pass out and you just have to keep them comfortable and distracted until that moment. Crying will happen.

As mentioned bring favourite snacks and portable media (if you allow that sort of thing). Our daughter loved watching the inflight kids stuff, lol even with sound off (she didn't like the headphones).

It helped on some flights that they weren't booked out and we could steal adjacent empty seats. If it helps, you could sacrifice your seat and stand up. For hours.

Mealtimes are tough. Shuffling 2 food trays, 1 seat table and toddler between two adults and keeping kid from messing with stuff is hard. Especially with the aisles packed with the serving carts.

You just have to do your best "eating out game" where one parent eats as fast as they can and shuffle over.

And I hear you guys in the "no". Our toddler is starting to vocalise what she wants more. "No", "nemo", "milk"

mrkgoo

Update on my now almost 9 mo old sleep waking- if ANYONE in this thread has been on the fence about sleep training, I cannot recommend the Ferber method enough. It took three nights (correctly), one of which was at Grandma's (which we were worried about since he wasn't home), but that's all it took. It was hard, especially the first night. We ended up doing it wrong the first night and picked him up which is what he wanted, just to get him quiet and then put him back down. Big mistake. Each time he cried harder and we had to end up co sleeping to keep him calm. The second night (the first night we did it right) it took about an hour and a half total for him to go back to sleep on his own. We went in, put him back on his back (he was standing or sitting up), quick shush/pat, and then left for awhile. Each time he got quieter and quieter until he was asleep. The next two nights he was asleep within a half hour. Now if he wakes up, he's either asleep by the time we check on him, or within 10-15 mins. That's if he wakes up. He's been sleeping through the night almost every night. He also seems happier during the day, is much more active and is more talkative than the couple of weeks he was waking up.

Now, we're on to babyproofing our sunken living room and staircase with only a halfwall on one side and no banisters on another part. This is becoming a challenge in itself.

Not sure what the "Ferber" method is, but we used a method of essentially letting them cry it out (even though the book said it wasn't about that) but controlled over a few days to a week. Key was to be firm. Kids get it very quickly.

I bet most of those techniques are the same. It's just intensive training and routine in a short span of time so they learn much more quickly. The pain and suffering, while intense, is short.

Thinking of doing a potty training technique that amounts to the same thing - basically training within 3 days, by kind of cold-turkey, no nappies and sticking by looking for signs of going and using those moments to get them to the potty.

As for baby proofing, we live with other members of the household so it can be tough when you don't have jurisdiction over certain areas. Everyone has different solutions, and ours was to just have closer supervision.

There is always some basic stuff you have to do though.

We have our C-Section scheduled for Monday. I'm a little nervous, because according to my wife, the baby never attempted to turn. We've been at the doctor weekly now, and two ultrasounds still show her breach.

I'm hoping its just breach, and there's nothing wrong w/ the baby. Any other soon to be dads been through this?

I'm probably a little late judging by the date of your post, but I thought I would chime in. Our baby was breach, and my wife had a c-section. Everything went fine, and our little girl is a healthy four month old. I had to help my wife out quite a bit for the first few weeks since she could only do stairs in the morning and at night, and we live in a three story townhome. I hope all went well for your family.

I've been following this thread, but I never really posted in it.

I actually have been home, looking after our daughter. My wife and I decided to share the time off (My wife took 9 months, and I took 3 month off). It's been an amazing experience so far!

It was a bit touch and go the first few weeks, but it's been rather smooth since. My time with her is winding down, and in 4 weeks she will be heading to daycare. Hopefully the transition from home to daycare will not be a big shock for her...

muu

Daycare-GAF, how do you boost your immunity? My daughter started a month and a half ago, and during that time period baby's been sick 3-4 times (expected), mom's gotten sick once (and she almost never gets sick), and I've gotten sick twice... this recent one's kept me out of the office for four days so far. Fortunately I had work I could bring home, but being totally out of it the first few days I'm definitely burning through what little I had left of my sick days quickly.

Right now I wash my hands as much as I can, and take vitamin D daily.

Daycare-GAF, how do you boost your immunity? My daughter started a month and a half ago, and during that time period baby's been sick 3-4 times (expected), mom's gotten sick once (and she almost never gets sick), and I've gotten sick twice... this recent one's kept me out of the office for four days so far. Fortunately I had work I could bring home, but being totally out of it the first few days I'm definitely burning through what little I had left of my sick days quickly.

It's kinda hard to. You just sorta have to deal with it. Getting lots of rest helps, but as any parent of a baby knows, that's hard to do. So honestly, it sorta comes with the territory of having kids and there's not a lot you can do other than to try to deal with it. It gets better as they get older and that exposure helps prevent them from getting sick as often. So in a way you're paying up front instead of later.

mrkgoo

Technically, speaking, the only way to "boost your immunity" is to get sick.

Or vaccines.

Washing your hands actually prevents you from "boosting your immunity". But maybe you meant, "stop getting sick".

:p

Nah, I dunno. That's part of parenting I guess, having to constantly sacrifice your needs for your kid's.

muu

I'm feeling better!

I've gotten tdap, take the flu shot yearly. Getting allergy shots now. Guess I need to let nature take its course, and maybe get more shots. Thankfully my daughter's looking good... except for the nasty cough she can't get rid of.

I'm feeling better!

I've gotten tdap, take the flu shot yearly. Getting allergy shots now. Guess I need to let nature take its course, and maybe get more shots. Thankfully my daughter's looking good... except for the nasty cough she can't get rid of.

Shots can only do so much. Don't inject yourself up hoping to not get sick because that's the wrong course of action. You have to accept they'll get sick and so will you. But it should get better over time and it should be less frequent. Also, the cough she can't get rid of is likely because she's going from one cold to another so it seems never eneding but it's really a new illness. It's not unlikely it'll be like that for a couple months although cold season should be ending soon with the weather warming up.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
14 days and counting. House got a deep clean over the weekend (with #1 and #2 shipped off to the grandparents - they can untidy/unclean faster than we can tidy/clean if left to their own devices...)

So, how do these 'girl' things work?

We made it through my first year with twins!! Holy crap what a ride. Raising a singleton is so much easier it isn't even funny. It's been tough but we made it. Now the joys of early toddlerdom before they learn the word 'No".

mrkgoo

14 days and counting. House got a deep clean over the weekend (with #1 and #2 shipped off to the grandparents - they can untidy/unclean faster than we can tidy/clean if left to their own devices...)

So, how do these 'girl' things work?

How do girls work? I dunno, it's a mystery for the ages.

As for saying no, my daughter is going through a "yes" phase and it's equally hilarious.

McLovin

I offered to take care of my cousins baby for the weekend. Fuck this shit. He's going back tomorrow o_o... NEEED SLEEEEEEP
I'm 32 and don't have kids, but I'm pretty sure I don't want them now.

I offered to take care of my cousins baby for the weekend. Fuck this shit. He's going back tomorrow o_o... NEEED SLEEEEEEP
I'm 32 and don't have kids, but I'm pretty sure I don't want them now.

How old is the baby and what is your experience beforehand? If you went into it blindly and don't know what you're doing, of course it's going to be overwhelming and hardly a good way to judge about wanting kids or not.

mrkgoo

How old is the baby and what is your experience beforehand? If you went into it blindly and don't know what you're doing, of course it's going to be overwhelming and hardly a good way to judge about wanting kids or not.

Yeah, lol, I'm curious about age too. Can't really be under a certain age, right? Like during the time they're on a 3-4 hour schedule?

To be fair though, most first-time parents go into it blindly and usually it works out. But yes, a lot of effort, sweat and tears goes into raising that child.

Yeah, lol, I'm curious about age too. Can't really be under a certain age, right? Like during the time they're on a 3-4 hour schedule?

To be fair though, most first-time parents go into it blindly and usually it works out. But yes, a lot of effort, sweat and tears goes into raising that child.

Well I think most first time parents have 6 to 8 months to prepare to some degree, even if it's just being somewhat mentally prepared.

McLovin

About 3 months, I've been helping them out during the day and stuff. Turns out he was just a little constipated and hot. He's also teething so that didn't help. Sorry I didn't reply until now, he fell asleep at 2 and I passed out right after lol. I just remembered I posted here.

mrkgoo

About 3 months, I've been helping them out during the day and stuff. Turns out he was just a little constipated and hot. He's also teething so that didn't help. Sorry I didn't reply until now, he fell asleep at 2 and I passed out right after lol. I just remembered I posted here.

Ah rough time. It's not the actually difficulty of the tasks, but the relentless nature on new parents that can make it tough. No sleep doesn't help either.

3 months is pretty young and they're still quite needy of things. Although things are a lot more simple on what they could need at that point. However, if you're not used to it, you won't be able to read the signs at that age and they may not be sleeping through the night yet. So it's a rough period to be thrown into it. Helping them out during the day isn't quite the same as full on taking care of them which you've obviously realized.

But kids are awesome because you get to do stuff like this:

40FfIkF.jpg

Icefire1424

Ah rough time. It's not the actually difficulty of the tasks, but the relentless nature on new parents that can make it tough. No sleep doesn't help either.

Actually really, really glad to read someone mention that specifically. Our daughter just turned 2 months yesterday, and although I think we've pretty much gotten the hang of everything she's thrown as us (so far), the biggest challenge is accepting that there's seemingly little to no time for anything else. I'm sure it doesn't help that both my wife and I work, but from the moment I get home from work until all of us go to sleep, I don't think we stop moving. Trying to carve out time for anything other than making dinners, feedings, changing diapers, bath time, etc. seems almost impossible. *Sigh.

On a plus note though, kiddo is becoming a much better sleeper. Usually out by 9-10 PM, and usually only wakes up once a night around 2-4ish for a feeding / diaper change, and is back to sleep in 30 minutes. Getting into some resemblance of a normal sleeping pattern does help quite a bit, anyways.

Hopefully this won't come out making me sound like an awful father, but I can't wait until she's old enough to be a bit more self-sufficient to the point that I don't feel like we have to be on full alert 24/7. I would like to spend some time with my wife again, maybe even turn the PC or PS4 back on...

Apologies for the vent, wasn't expecting to spill that when I came on to this thread.

kitch9

Banned
Actually really, really glad to read someone mention that specifically. Our daughter just turned 2 months yesterday, and although I think we've pretty much gotten the hang of everything she's thrown as us (so far), the biggest challenge is accepting that there's seemingly little to no time for anything else. I'm sure it doesn't help that both my wife and I work, but from the moment I get home from work until all of us go to sleep, I don't think we stop moving. Trying to carve out time for anything other than making dinners, feedings, changing diapers, bath time, etc. seems almost impossible. *Sigh.

On a plus note though, kiddo is becoming a much better sleeper. Usually out by 9-10 PM, and usually only wakes up once a night around 2-4ish for a feeding / diaper change, and is back to sleep in 30 minutes. Getting into some resemblance of a normal sleeping pattern does help quite a bit, anyways.

Hopefully this won't come out making me sound like an awful father, but I can't wait until she's old enough to be a bit more self-sufficient to the point that I don't feel like we have to be on full alert 24/7. I would like to spend some time with my wife again, maybe even turn the PC or PS4 back on...

Apologies for the vent, wasn't expecting to spill that when I came on to this thread.

That phase isn't long, it was rough with my twins. Mine are nearing 10 months old and they have been mostly sleeping through the night for 5 months and we managed to drop the 10pm feed a couple of months back so they are bathed and in bed for 7pm and they sleep until around 7am maybe later some days.

The bedtime routine is key, or it was for us. No naps after 3.30pm, bath at 6pm, followed by a bottle then 20 mins for them to doze off. PS4 on.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
That phase isn't long, it was rough with my twins. Mine are nearing 10 months old and they have been mostly sleeping through the night for 5 months and we managed to drop the 10pm feed a couple of months back so they are bathed and in bed for 7pm and they sleep until around 7am maybe later some days.

The bedtime routine is key, or it was for us. No naps after 3.30pm, bath at 6pm, followed by a bottle then 20 mins for them to doze off. PS4 on.

Oh, it gets worse again after a while. Just wait until they come out of nappies. :D

Right now we've got one at four years old, one just under two and one about to arrive. I foresee no sleep and no private time for years... ;)

mrkgoo

No apologies necessary. I find places like other parents and this thread to "vent" in to be highly valuable. It's pretty important to understand that you aren't necessarily the only ones who struggle sometimes.

Nice! But you gotta realise not every child is the same. I guess we'll never really know how much a balance it is between a particular parenting technique or the child themselves that can make the difference, but I know some parents who go years with the kid having night wakes. Sure, there are things you can do as a parent, but some things are out of your control (seemingly). Obviously some things in your control too (a mother I know is still breast-feeding at 2 years).

Icefire1424

Appreciate the feedback all. Must have been good karma or something as kiddo was in a very snuggly mood yesterday evening and even fell asleep in my arms for about an hour letting me catch a few episodes of MXC on Hulu. Made the craziness of the rest of the week worth it.

...Right on time for her 2 month shots at the doc this afternoon. 0_o

Any recommendations on car seats once they grow out of the infant seat? My daughter just turned 1, but she's already a beanpole and is butting up against the maximum height limit of her infant seat.

The next step should be a convertible seat, so she can stay rear facing as long as possible, right? I wanted to get a Recaro seat because they are relatively affordable, extremely sturdy, and I know their racing seats are awesome. But the Recaro convertible has a pretty low maximum seated height limit for rear facing. It sounds like she might grow too tall for it pretty quick.

I was also looking at the Diono, which is more expensive but taller, and will rear face longer. But I don't know if it has the same level of safety, and since the seat back is so tall it looks like it might be a pain to fit in the car.

Anyone use either brand?

Top Bottom