• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newborn Baby-GAF: Sleepless Nights Deluxe HD Remix

daw840

Hey GAF!

Just had our second, a little boy. Now I have a 2 year old girl and a newborn boy! I'm also done with new kids forever....2 is enough. lol

Anyways, I had a question for you guys. I have a single video baby monitor but I wanted to upgrade to a dual video monitor system for both of the kids. Has anyone had any experience with these? Money is really no issue, I don't care how expensive it is (within reason obviously, but 200-400 is fine.)

Hey GAF!

Just had our second, a little boy. Now I have a 2 year old girl and a newborn boy! I'm also done with new kids forever....2 is enough. lol

Anyways, I had a question for you guys. I have a single video baby monitor but I wanted to upgrade to a dual video monitor system for both of the kids. Has anyone had any experience with these? Money is really no issue, I don't care how expensive it is (within reason obviously, but 200-400 is fine.)

Congrats, I'm in the same exact boat as you. Just a quick heads up if someone hasn't warned you, having two is more than double the work. Having one was pretty easy but having two is just a whole different level since you no longer outnumber them. Hopefully, you'll have an easy time, but I just wasn't as prepared as I thought I was after feeling very comfortable with the first one.

On the note of monitors, I've searched and haven't really been happy with anything I've found so far. We're using this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ECHYTBI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

One of the things that bothers me is I liked how with the Levana single monitor that we had before it, it would just turn on when there's a sound. From what I've looked at with dual monitor setups is it goes into a scan mode where it's alternating between the two constantly. So if your kid cries while it's on the other camera, you won't hear it until it cycles to the right room. Granted the interval is only like 12 seconds, but it bugs me. I'd like just a monitor that had great signal and would just show me the one that's crying instantly.

On the upside, it has great battery life, pretty decent image, temperature reading, changeable lenses for either zoom or wider view, pretty decent signal range, and you can charge it from a simple usb connection so it's easy to move to any room to charge rather than some of the other ones where you'd have to move the base or have multiple bases.

I'm not sure if that helps you or not, but that's the experience I've had so far. I'd be curious if you find something better.

daw840

Congrats, I'm in the same exact boat as you. Just a quick heads up if someone hasn't warned you, having two is more than double the work. Having one was pretty easy but having two is just a whole different level since you no longer outnumber them. Hopefully, you'll have an easy time, but I just wasn't as prepared as I thought I was after feeling very comfortable with the first one.

On the note of monitors, I've searched and haven't really been happy with anything I've found so far. We're using this one:

One of the things that bothers me is I liked how with the Levana single monitor that we had before it, it would just turn on when there's a sound. From what I've looked at with dual monitor setups is it goes into a scan mode where it's alternating between the two constantly. So if your kid cries while it's on the other camera, you won't hear it until it cycles to the right room. Granted the interval is only like 12 seconds, but it bugs me. I'd like just a monitor that had great signal and would just show me the one that's crying instantly.

On the upside, it has great battery life, pretty decent image, temperature reading, changeable lenses for either zoom or wider view, pretty decent signal range, and you can charge it from a simple usb connection so it's easy to move to any room to charge rather than some of the other ones where you'd have to move the base or have multiple bases.

I'm not sure if that helps you or not, but that's the experience I've had so far. I'd be curious if you find something better.

Cool....um is that one you linked able to have 2 cameras?

I found the Withings monitor that uses your iPhone or Android as the monitoring device, but I'm not entirely sure if I like that...

Cool....um is that one you linked able to have 2 cameras?

I found the Withings monitor that uses your iPhone or Android as the monitoring device, but I'm not entirely sure if I like that...

Ya, it's the one we're using now. It's capable of up to four cameras I think. We've given up a bit and have just sorta settled with it for now. Amazon has a gracious return policy on some of these so you can try it out for awhile and return it if you don't like it.

I've been weary about using my phone as a monitor. I kinda like how the dedicated ones are just simple, you hear a sound, the video comes on, and you can look. I like the fact that they are dedicated instead of something else draining my battery. I'm also the type who will check periodically, so I like to just pick it up and look rather than fumble to get to the app and view.

I'd be curious on what you uncover.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man

Real men (and women) can handle one child with each hand. Three is where it all starts to go wrong.

We went with this one:

ear.jpg

Seriously, baby monitors can mess with your head. I know people who are absolute slaves to the monitor, and it stresses them out way more than they realise.

Real men (and women) can handle one child with each hand. Three is where it all starts to go wrong.

Heh, I can't even imagine being outnumbered. The older one is kinda big and heavy for her age and very squirmy when she wants to be so she's tough to handle one handed sometimes. I'm just saying the increase from 1 to 2 caught us off guard. Things like, ok you take the kid, and I can wash the dishes, or the kid is napping, we can do all these different things no longer applies for us. Especially the napping breaking since their naps don't line up and the little guy doesn't nap for very long so that means no downtime in the middle of the day anymore.

We went with this one:

ear.jpg

Seriously, baby monitors can mess with your head. I know people who are absolute slaves to the monitor, and it stresses them out way more than they realise.

Heh, that doesn't work out so well for us. It's not stressing us out since they're usually good sleepers at night, but the room we're in is on the opposite side of the house from the kids and the kids are upstairs while we're downstairs in a fairly good sized house. So it's harder to hear with just the ears. We use the ears when we're upstairs though.

daw840

I don't use either brand, sorry. Everything I hear is Britax is the way to go, but I'm sure others will have brands that they swear by too. I'm using a Britax at the moment.
Indeed. We have all britax. It's rather pricey but completely worth it for the side impact ratings. I worked for too long has an auto insurance adjuster to cheap out on the car seat.

mrkgoo

Do you mean that you become reliant on them and super paranoid without them?

Heh, maybe.

We kicked our baby out of our room after around month 6. But in her room, there'd be no way we'd know she was crying in the middle of the night unless we had a monitor.

As for car seats, we got a free Evenflo one form a local trust. it does the job.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Do you mean that you become reliant on them and super paranoid without them?

Heh, maybe.

That and the way that so many parents with baby monitors seem completely unable to relax. They're constantly listening for every little noise. And the more advanced the monitor, the worse it gets - audio is bad enough, but video needs watching all the time, and temperature/heart rate/whatever monitors make it even more stressful. Your baby is asleep - this is time you can spend relaxing for a a few moments. :)

We kicked our baby out of our room after around month 6. But in her room, there'd be no way we'd know she was crying in the middle of the night unless we had a monitor.

Yeah, the bigger the house the more monitors are needed, I guess. But I still recommend the simplest possible monitor.

As for car seats, we got a free Evenflo one form a local trust. it does the job.

We mostly go Maxi Cosi. Great safety ratings, especially on the ISOFIX models - not sure how their US models are. They always seem more comfortable than Britax seats too. ISOFIX is a must-have for us in car seats - to the extent that we sold our family car because it didn't have three ISOFIX points.

mrkgoo

That and the way that so many parents with baby monitors seem completely unable to relax. They're constantly listening for every little noise. And the more advanced the monitor, the worse it gets - audio is bad enough, but video needs watching all the time, and temperature/heart rate/whatever monitors make it even more stressful. Your baby is asleep - this is time you can spend relaxing for a a few moments. :)

Yeah, I agree.

Yeah, the bigger the house the more monitors are needed, I guess. But I still recommend the simplest possible monitor.
Yeah our place at the moment is pretty large. We only ever use the monitor for sleeping. and it's a hand-me-down audio one, with only one direction.

I will say though, some people are naturally paranoid, and sometimes peace of mind can be helpful.

We mostly go Maxi Cosi. Great safety ratings, especially on the ISOFIX models - not sure how their US models are. They always seem more comfortable than Britax seats too. ISOFIX is a must-have for us in car seats - to the extent that we sold our family car because it didn't have three ISOFIX points.

I borrowed a maxi-cosi capsule and quinny wheelset (with adaptor). the maci cosi was impressive enough that when it came time for a stroller we got a maxi-cosi one.

Wads

Banned
Aw man no car seat recommendations?

We got the chicco next fit for the car seat after infant seat. We really like it.

We had the chicco keyfit 30 before that and had the stroller caddy w that. Got the bridge b ready after she grew out to f that. We call it the tank.

kitch9

Banned
I didn't bother with a monitor for our twins, I just stuck a Foscam HD Night Vision Camera in their room and leave the sound off.

If we hear them crying we just look at the camera on our phones to see what is going on, saves us having to jump out of bed on a night.

We got the chicco next fit for the car seat after infant seat. We really like it.

We had the chicco keyfit 30 before that and had the stroller caddy w that. Got the bridge b ready after she grew out to f that. We call it the tank.

Seconding the NextFit. It's summer though, and our little guy gets super sweaty in it. If you wanted something that breathes well the NextFit does not. It is however extremely easy to install and adjust.

Happy birthday to my little man and best friend who is turning two on July 9th.

b70dd9c7-6121-4c58-9cfc-4b6b2dad4473.jpg

12c28601-d3dc-4dd2-9bed-4b8f37911175.jpg

Welcome to my beautiful princess who arrived on June 28th. Still in the NICU but she should be home soon.

ec0594b7-d3a8-4642-89cb-644dc169c3bd.jpg

7c043cdb-49af-41a0-8ba6-c8d6ea22ddb4.jpg

daw840

Awesome pics man. We're almost in the exact same situation. My son was born June 27 and my daughter turned 2 April 5.

As for the Baby Monitor debate. I just can't hear very well, shitty genetics. So in the morning I wake up super early and can't ever really go back to sleep because I'm straining to make sure I can hear my daughter when she gets up. If I have the monitor on next to the bed then I sleep fine because I know it will wake me up.

Awesome pics man. We're almost in the exact same situation. My son was born June 27 and my daughter turned 2 April 5.

As for the Baby Monitor debate. I just can't hear very well, shitty genetics. So in the morning I wake up super early and can't ever really go back to sleep because I'm straining to make sure I can hear my daughter when she gets up. If I have the monitor on next to the bed then I sleep fine because I know it will wake me up.

Congrats to you as well. Sounds like we're the opposite, boy first girl second.

soepje

What a cute kids itt :D

I´m not joining you all just yet, but yesterday we had our first ultrasound. Pretty sweet to see the little gummy bear drumming and dancing away already :D

effzee

Sorry to bump but this seems like the most appropriate place to ask:

Background: New father here. Son just turned 10 months. Perfect baby. No health issues, he is extremely friendly, and no anger problems at all.

But he won't sleep overnight. My wife had him trained from 2 months on to sleep in his crib and he got to the point that from 8pm till 4am he would sleep undisturbed and without waking up to drink milk. We were amazed and grateful cause I had heard the horror stories.

Near the tail end of the summer we had a lot of family events (weddings mainly) that required us to travel and just generally be away from home so his schedule was completely thrown off. Then his teeth came. He has 4 now.

He has developed a terrible pattern where he will fall asleep on his own in his crib at bed time but around 1-2 am he gets super fussy. Screams more so than cries at top of his lungs all while asleep. Just wants to be held and to sleep on either my chest or my wives. This lasts until at least 4-5am when he seems ok to go back into his crib. Then he is up by 7-8am every morning.

I've read all the various theories, the supposed benefits and harms, and heard from couples I know of how to sleep train, but I can't bring myself to ever accept cry it out. What we have been doing since his birth can be classified as the gentle method. He takes his naps at the same time. All his meals are scheduled and we try to stick to his bed time no matter what. It worked but now seems to have no real affect.

Wife is about ready to try cry it out. Any experiences or advice from GAF?

RSP

Maybe more teeth are getting through? Perhaps it takes a couple more days to re-adjust to the regular schedule?

Perhaps his temperature is a bit high during the evenings? If he has a fever, perhaps he is getting too hot in his crib?\\

Edit; sorry - bit unstructured, but I'm just throwing ideas out there.

DarkFlow

Banned

Background: New father here. Son just turned 10 months. Perfect baby. No health issues, he is extremely friendly, and no anger problems at all.

But he won't sleep overnight. My wife had him trained from 2 months on to sleep in his crib and he got to the point that from 8pm till 4am he would sleep undisturbed and without waking up to drink milk. We were amazed and grateful cause I had heard the horror stories.

Near the tail end of the summer we had a lot of family events (weddings mainly) that required us to travel and just generally be away from home so his schedule was completely thrown off. Then his teeth came. He has 4 now.

He has developed a terrible pattern where he will fall asleep on his own in his crib at bed time but around 1-2 am he gets super fussy. Screams more so than cries at top of his lungs all while asleep. Just wants to be held and to sleep on either my chest or my wives. This lasts until at least 4-5am when he seems ok to go back into his crib. Then he is up by 7-8am every morning.

I've read all the various theories, the supposed benefits and harms, and heard from couples I know of how to sleep train, but I can't bring myself to ever accept cry it out. What we have been doing since his birth can be classified as the gentle method. He takes his naps at the same time. All his meals are scheduled and we try to stick to his bed time no matter what. It worked but now seems to have no real affect.

Just the way it is, my son is 2 and a half and he didn't start sleeping soundly till like 6 months ago. He would drive me INSANE every night waking up 3 or 4 times a night, for 2 years!!

My only advice is start a routine, and stick to it. Give him a bath every night at the same time, then read him a book, give him his milk or whatever you do, then put him to bed. After awhile he'll figure it out that it's sleep time, but really it's likely just going to be crappy for awhile and slowly get less crappy lol.

Also, buy these, they help.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F0CQ9I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

soepje

Congrats! Ours was very shy on ultrasound - we never got a good 3D picture in as she kept covering her face with her hand.
Oh, late reaction, but i just saw this now! Thanks!
Ours did not really want to show his face too well either, but he had no problems showing of his equipment at the 20 weeks check. There was really no way around it haha

He should be arriving soon, pretty exciting :D

effzee

Maybe more teeth are getting through? Perhaps it takes a couple more days to re-adjust to the regular schedule?

Perhaps his temperature is a bit high during the evenings? If he has a fever, perhaps he is getting too hot in his crib?

Edit; sorry - bit unstructured, but I'm just throwing ideas out there.

Thanks appreciate it. I'm very worried about over heating or him being cold so I'm always checking his temperature. He doesn't have a fever.

More teeth might be coming in.

I did notice that ever since fall/winter started he has been getting congested routinely. I had his doctor check his lungs and everything came back clear.

We use a cool misty humidifier designed for babies which doesn't seem to be working i guess. I notice struggling him to breathe through his nose overnight cause of the dry air. That might be it.

Just the way it is, my son is 2 and a half and he didn't start sleeping soundly till like 6 months ago. He would drive me INSANE every night waking up 3 or 4 times a night, for 2 years!!

My only advice is start a routine, and stick to it. Give him a bath every night at the same time, then read him a book, give him his milk or whatever you do, then put him to bed. After awhile he'll figure it out that it's sleep time, but really it's likely just going to be crappy for awhile and slowly get less crappy lol.

Also, buy these, they help.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F0CQ9I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Unfortunately we already have that. And we have him on routine. He eats and naps on schedule. Actually very good with it. Puts himself to sleep. Even at night! It's the middle stretch where he gets fussy.

His nighttime routine is @ 5 pm eat baby food, play for 30 minutes, drink breastmilk by 6-630, bath by 7, soothing oil massage, read a short book, and by 8 he is out on his own. Past midnight is an adventure and random every night.

Icefire1424

Hey, a few things from this post I can comment on. Sweet!

I did notice that ever since fall/winter started he has been getting congested routinely. I had his doctor check his lungs and everything came back clear.

We use a cool misty humidifier designed for babies which doesn't seem to be working i guess. I notice struggling him to breathe through his nose overnight cause of the dry air. That might be it.

Right there with you. Our 9 month old got really congested in the last few days complete with cough, runny nose, and difficulty breathing through her nose. We elevated one end of her crib a bit with a towel underneath to try and help out, which only somewhat works. She sleeps a few hours in her crib, but the last few nights we've had to bring her into our bed and prop her up on a Boppy pillow to help her breathe, which has helped. Wife is home with her today, but she is actually doing a bit better, and her fever broke. Neighbor across the street has a newborn and a 3 year old, also both sick. 'Tis the season I suppose, fortunately it doesn't seem to last long, but does come back every month or so.

Unfortunately we already have that. And we have him on routine. He eats and naps on schedule. Actually very good with it. Puts himself to sleep. Even at night! It's the middle stretch where he gets fussy.

His nighttime routine is @ 5 pm eat baby food, play for 30 minutes, drink breastmilk by 6-630, bath by 7, soothing oil massage, read a short book, and by 8 he is out on his own. Past midnight is an adventure and random every night.

We had this exact problem as well. Did pretty well getting her to sleep in her crib around 6:30 - 7:30, would sleep for several hours, but wake up around 1 - 2 and wouldn't go back down in the crib. After enough sleep deprivation, we resorted to co-sleeping for a bit after that 2am night waking so we could all sleep (after trying a bottle, rocking her for an hour or so, all that - she would pop back up immediately after we put her back down).

We didn't want to do the cry out method outright, but opted for a more "gentle" approach, which centers on minimal interaction during those night wakings. When she awakes and cries, we do give her a couple minutes to see if she is able to put herself back to sleep, but if the cry is urgent or intensifies ("I need help!"), we intervene, while "interacting" as little as possible. If she has a wet diaper, we change it, if she's hungry, we feed her. We don't communicate with her directly (or each other actually, keeping it as quiet as possible), and immediately put her back down in the crib as soon as we've addressed the concern. If she cries, I put my hand on her back or rub her head slightly until she calms. Took a few minutes the first night. The next night we did the same, but after putting her down, instead of placing my hand on her back, I just stood by her crib. She saw that I was there, checked periodically, rolled over and went back to sleep. The next night, I sat in the chair in the same room, and she fell back asleep. That gradual approach seemed to do the trick - we got to the point that if she experienced a nighttime arousal, we could address the situation and have her back to bed in a matter of minutes. We also noticed that she seemed to be better at comforting herself if she did awake during the night - evidenced by a few episodes of us hearing her awake, squeak for a moment or two (sounded like she was talking to herself), followed by silence. Overall, the "gradual" method worked pretty well. I hated going back to co-sleeping the last couple nights after making that progress, but I figured her being sick and having difficulty breathing constituted as extenuating circumstances.

I would also recommend the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth. The book jumps around a bit and can be tough to follow in places, but does have some helpful advice regarding a child's sleep patterns, and essentially how to help a child "learn" to sleep on their own. Might want to check it out, it helped us!

effzee

Hey, a few things from this post I can comment on. Sweet!

Right there with you. Our 9 month old got really congested in the last few days complete with cough, runny nose, and difficulty breathing through her nose. We elevated one end of her crib a bit with a towel underneath to try and help out, which only somewhat works. She sleeps a few hours in her crib, but the last few nights we've had to bring her into our bed and prop her up on a Boppy pillow to help her breathe, which has helped. Wife is home with her today, but she is actually doing a bit better, and her fever broke. Neighbor across the street has a newborn and a 3 year old, also both sick. 'Tis the season I suppose, fortunately it doesn't seem to last long, but does come back every month or so.

We had this exact problem as well. Did pretty well getting her to sleep in her crib around 6:30 - 7:30, would sleep for several hours, but wake up around 1 - 2 and wouldn't go back down in the crib. After enough sleep deprivation, we resorted to co-sleeping for a bit after that 2am night waking so we could all sleep (after trying a bottle, rocking her for an hour or so, all that - she would pop back up immediately after we put her back down).

We didn't want to do the cry out method outright, but opted for a more "gentle" approach, which centers on minimal interaction during those night wakings. When she awakes and cries, we do give her a couple minutes to see if she is able to put herself back to sleep, but if the cry is urgent or intensifies ("I need help!"), we intervene, while "interacting" as little as possible. If she has a wet diaper, we change it, if she's hungry, we feed her. We don't communicate with her directly (or each other actually, keeping it as quiet as possible), and immediately put her back down in the crib as soon as we've addressed the concern. If she cries, I put my hand on her back or rub her head slightly until she calms. Took a few minutes the first night. The next night we did the same, but after putting her down, instead of placing my hand on her back, I just stood by her crib. She saw that I was there, checked periodically, rolled over and went back to sleep. The next night, I sat in the chair in the same room, and she fell back asleep. That gradual approach seemed to do the trick - we got to the point that if she experienced a nighttime arousal, we could address the situation and have her back to bed in a matter of minutes. We also noticed that she seemed to be better at comforting herself if she did awake during the night - evidenced by a few episodes of us hearing her awake, squeak for a moment or two (sounded like she was talking to herself), followed by silence. Overall, the "gradual" method worked pretty well. I hated going back to co-sleeping the last couple nights after making that progress, but I figured her being sick and having difficulty breathing constituted as extenuating circumstances.

I would also recommend the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth. The book jumps around a bit and can be tough to follow in places, but does have some helpful advice regarding a child's sleep patterns, and essentially how to help a child "learn" to sleep on their own. Might want to check it out, it helped us!

Wow thanks for the great write up man!

We have been basically trying the gentle method. Son likes to sleep on his belly so those first 3-4 hours he sleeps on his tummy sound asleep. When he wakes up my wife goes in pats his back or picks him up and puts him down right away. Problem is he doesn't want to be put down. He instantly screams at the top of his lungs so loud his voice changes. We usually break and then hold him for a long time until he is full asleep before putting him down again.

I'll keep trying. Complete zombie at work today after he kept us up last night from 3 am till I had leave at 6am.

mrkgoo

I followed a sleep training method that didn't explicitly state it was "crying it out", but essentially it was.

I didn't follow t strictly either - there's no magic bullet that will work for every kid. We just took the ideas and decided what made sense.

Basically the key concepts we took away were:

1) babies will cry. It's not mean or harmful. Think about it. Your kid one day will get worked up about something you simply cannot give in to. You will let them cry. It won't hurt them.

2) sleep training is all about training the infant that they are ABLE to sleep on their own and able to return to sleep on their own.

3) do not rely on sleep aids that involve you. Rocking, nursing etc to sleep - they are using you as a sleep aid and are essentially forming a need to use you to sleep. Never rock them to sleep or hold them to sleep. Do it a lot but always have them be awake when you put them down. Otherwise of you are a sleep aid they will wake in the night and require YOU to get them back to sleep.

4) you have to establish a rigid routine that ou absolutely don't break for the first week. A series of events that essentially signal that bed time is coming. That way the child knows it's sleep time.

Those are just the ideas and we put them together in a SIMILAR way to our guide but nt identical.

Our baby was 10 months at te time and after 10 days, she was sleeping through the night. First 3 days were roughest.

kitch9

Banned

Everyone I know, including my twins have had good results with controlled crying. You do not leave them to just scream, rather than go to them at extending intervals starting from 5 minutes to reassure them. Do not pick them up though.

Icefire1424

Wow thanks for the great write up man!

We have been basically trying the gentle method. Son likes to sleep on his belly so those first 3-4 hours he sleeps on his tummy sound asleep. When he wakes up my wife goes in pats his back or picks him up and puts him down right away. Problem is he doesn't want to be put down. He instantly screams at the top of his lungs so loud his voice changes. We usually break and then hold him for a long time until he is full asleep before putting him down again.

I'll keep trying. Complete zombie at work today after he kept us up last night from 3 am till I had leave at 6am.

Yup, that's exactly what we did as well. mrkgoo and kitch9 hit the nail on the head I think - picking up kiddo basically equates to you being a sleep aid for them. Once we stopped picking her up and comforted her just by placing a hand on her back, we noticed it did get easier for her to fall asleep on her own.

effzee

Yup, that's exactly what we did as well. mrkgoo and kitch9 hit the nail on the head I think - picking up kiddo basically equates to you being a sleep aid for them. Once we stopped picking her up and comforted her just by placing a hand on her back, we noticed it did get easier for her to fall asleep on her own.

My problem right now is that when we put him back down or when we hear him cry and go into his room he is already screaming/crying. Just putting a hand on him doesn't do anything but seemingly more angry. He also sits up.

But like I said we will keep trying. I really do think his congestion overnight is the real culprit. We clean his nose out right before bedtime but overtime overnight it builds back up.

Thanks everyone for the input!!! Hopefully we can get him to sleep through the night soon.

PS: Are there any baby approved Vick's vapor rub type of soothers?

3) do not rely on sleep aids that involve you. Rocking, nursing etc to sleep - they are using you as a sleep aid and are essentially forming a need to use you to sleep. Never rock them to sleep or hold them to sleep. Do it a lot but always have them be awake when you put them down. Otherwise of you are a sleep aid they will wake in the night and require YOU to get them back to sleep.

Like you said every kid is different. We had no trouble with the first one, but the second one has a lot of trouble sleeping on his own. He won't nap on his own and if he does it's for a short period. At least at night he'll go down for a good 10 hours, but we have to rock him to sleep. Simply being there with him won't do anything. He'll cry if we don't pick him up. The problem with him crying is if he doesn't calm down, he'll vomit. So we either pick him up to cradle him to sleep or we clean up vomit. It's been a completely different experience with sleep habits. The only common factor is they both sleep through the night at early ages (2.5 months and 5 months)

Like you said every kid is different. We had no trouble with the first one, but the second one has a lot of trouble sleeping on his own. He won't nap on his own and if he does it's for a short period. At least at night he'll go down for a good 10 hours, but we have to rock him to sleep. Simply being there with him won't do anything. He'll cry if we don't pick him up. The problem with him crying is if he doesn't calm down, he'll vomit. So we either pick him up to cradle him to sleep or we clean up vomit. It's been a completely different experience with sleep habits. The only common factor is they both sleep through the night at early ages (2.5 months and 5 months)

3 month old and we have the same issue, 10-20 minute catnaps during the day, but he sleeps from 9pm to 5am most nights. On nights he does wake up I have been using the vibration on the bassonet to help calm him down.

Problem is he flails his arms around and rubs his face a lot so he keeps waking himself and also risks rubbing his skin raw (even with the gloves on), so we still have to swaddle him, haven't even attempted moving him to the crib yet. but we're going to try over the next couple of week. We've all been spoiled by these 7 or 8 hour nights of sleep.

DarkFlow

Banned
3 month old and we have the same issue, 10-20 minute catnaps during the day, but he sleeps from 9pm to 5am most nights. On nights he does wake up I have been using the vibration on the bassonet to help calm him down.

Problem is he flails his arms around and rubs his face a lot so he keeps waking himself and also risks rubbing his skin raw (even with the gloves on), so we still have to swaddle him, haven't even attempted moving him to the crib yet. but we're going to try over the next couple of week. We've all been spoiled by these 7 or 8 hour nights of sleep.

I swaddled my kid will past 1, it was the only way to get him to sleep.

mrkgoo

Yup, there are no hard and fast rules. Every kid is different. Like I said you always have to take advice by getting the input and deciding for yourself what concepts are the ones that make sense to you and that you feel like adopting.

What I said above aren't rules to be followed, but the ideas that we got from our sleep training regime that made sense to us.

SaintR

Hey guys (and girls). Proud dad of a 6month baby girl here. we've been having trouble lately with our baby not letting anyone beside my wife and I and her grandmother hold her. The separation anxiety with her has gotten so bad that our babysitter of 1 month recently quit!

Can anybody recommend any books or techniques to get the baby to like other people?

Hey guys (and girls). Proud dad of a 6month baby girl here. we've been having trouble lately with our baby not letting anyone beside my wife and I and her grandmother hold her. The separation anxiety with her has gotten so bad that our babysitter of 1 month recently quit!

Can anybody recommend any books or techniques to get the baby to like other people?
You just gotta let the phase play out. It's normal and not much you can do outside of constant exposure.

I really recommend the Diono car seat we got, by the way. We should be able to keep my giant 18 month old daughter facing backwards for awhile longer now, even though most other seats we were looking at would have been front facing by now given her height.

But man she is growing into a little bully and we're not sure how to stop it. She doesn't talk much yet, and I think some of that frustration is making her act out. She takes toys from other kids and pushes them down. Then they start crying. They are all smaller than her even if they're older. We tell her no, pull her away, try to demonstrate how to share, but it's not really working yet. I'm getting a lot of conflicting advice about discipline, some places saying it's too early for things like a time out, she just won't make the connection between the bad behavior and the punishment yet, other places going so far as to say push her down after she does it so she understands that it hurts. Who knows.

SaintR

You just gotta let the phase play out. It's normal and not much you can do outside of constant exposure.

Yeah I figured it's just a matter of time, shit's tough though seeing her cry so hard when anyone new or even my own parents try to pick her up. I guess I should feel lucky that this has been the only real problem up until now.

Browny

Banned
I really recommend the Diono car seat we got, by the way. We should be able to keep my giant 18 month old daughter facing backwards for awhile longer now, even though most other seats we were looking at would have been front facing by now given her height.
Our daughter is tall for her age (we're 6'4" and 6' respectively), so can sympathise. We had her front facing after around 7-8 months IIRC, and she loves it - so if you're concerned, don't be!

As for the behaviour, you just have to stick with it. It won't change overnight, just keep verbally trying to encourage sharing and suchlike. Discipline and similar doesn't really take effect until after 2, supposedly.

Yeah I figured it's just a matter of time, shit's tough though seeing her cry so hard when anyone new or even my own parents try to pick her up. I guess I should feel lucky that this has been the only real problem up until now.

Both of my kids went through separation anxiety and that period of time is something I don't miss one bit. The one thing that was nice was at least with daycare, it was a non issue since they were already comfortable with the people there. The worst part was not being able to put them down in the play area of the house or some place without them crying. You just couldn't do anything because they wanted you there in the same room with them. I hope you're not going through that. If you are, the one thing that helps is to open up their access to the house and give them more freedom.

So its 6 am on sunday and my 4 mo is on my shoulder sleeping. He always had gas issues, upset tummy and what not. He usually went to sleep on his own without any help during the night, but last two nights have been hellish for us. He cries as soon as we put him down and wont take no for an answer. His tummy seems tightened and firm and we just know he is having bad gas. We tried gripe water, gas drops and also suppositories to relieve him but to no avail. Anyone went through the same?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yeah that's the one big lesson you get from having a second child - 90% of the things you take credit for were just chance.

CrankyJay

Banned
Just found out my wife is pregnant again. September due date. I'm super excited but terrified all over again. My first kid is 2 now and absolutely amazing.

Grats! I hear it gets much better 2nd time around.
Who lied to you about that? :)

Just found out my wife is pregnant again. September due date. I'm super excited but terrified all over again. My first kid is 2 now and absolutely amazing.

Congrats. That's a good age difference between the two. Just a heads up, handling two is way more work than double the work. I wish someone had warned me ahead of time. I was too cocky over the first one that I was unprepared for how much juggling is involved and how much less gets done.

Icefire1424

So its 6 am on sunday and my 4 mo is on my shoulder sleeping. He always had gas issues, upset tummy and what not. He usually went to sleep on his own without any help during the night, but last two nights have been hellish for us. He cries as soon as we put him down and wont take no for an answer. His tummy seems tightened and firm and we just know he is having bad gas. We tried gripe water, gas drops and also suppositories to relieve him but to no avail. Anyone went through the same?

We had the same problem, right around the same time as well (4-6 months). Turned out our daughter was very sensitive to my wife's milk, so wifey's diet was "adjusted" - pediatrician recommended that she not drink milk, reduce red meat, all that. In the end we ended up having to stop breastfeeding and switch her to formula, specifically the "sensitive stomach" stuff, which made a huge difference. Gas was reduced significantly, and it was apparent she was much more comfortable afterwards. Although we wanted her on breast milk as long as we could, switching her over to formula turned out to be the best for both of them in the end.

Congrats!

Just a heads up, handling two is way more work than double the work. I wish someone had warned me ahead of time. I was too cocky over the first one that I was unprepared for how much juggling is involved and how much less gets done.

...and this is why I'm more convinced we will be a "one and done" type of family.

We had the same problem, right around the same time as well (4-6 months). Turned out our daughter was very sensitive to my wife's milk, so wifey's diet was "adjusted" - pediatrician recommended that she not drink milk, reduce red meat, all that. In the end we ended up having to stop breastfeeding and switch her to formula, specifically the "sensitive stomach" stuff, which made a huge difference. Gas was reduced significantly, and it was apparent she was much more comfortable afterwards. Although we wanted her on breast milk as long as we could, switching her over to formula turned out to be the best for both of them in the end.

Congrats!

...and this is why I'm more convinced we will be a "one and done" type of family.
Yeah we are in the same boat. Its been really difficult to switch to formula both emotionally and for the baby too, since he has been accustomed to breastmilk.

Yup, same thing here. I wouldn't worry too much unless your MD established a condition that requires a treatment. It's probably just a phase and from what I've heard it's pretty common.

The only thing that (somewhat) relieved my daugther was me carrying her around on my arm: face down resting on the palm of the hand, tummy on forearm.

Also (gently!) pushing on her bent legs when she was lying down for a nappy change helped a little bit.

At this age, a baby doesn't have a million different ways to express his/her discontent, whether it is physiological or psychological. Crying and tummy aches are probably the most common outlets.

And since there is no way a 6-months-old baby is throwing a tantrum or playing games you probably just have to reassure the little guy and bear with it.

Yup, same thing here. I wouldn't worry too much unless your MD established a condition that requires a treatment. It's probably just a phase and from what I've heard it's pretty common.

The only thing that (somewhat) relieved my daugther was me carrying her around on my arm: face down resting on the palm of the hand, tummy on forearm.

Also (gently!) pushing on her bent legs when she was lying down for a nappy change helped a little bit.

At this age, a baby doesn't have a million different ways to express his/her discontent, whether it is physiological or psychological. Crying and tummy aches are probably the most common outlets.

And since there is no way a 6-months-old baby is throwing a tantrum or playing games you probably just have to reassure the little guy and bear with it.
Its terrible to see them in pain though, and we know for a fact that he has tummy trouble. He gets calm after passing gas but then its the same thing all over again. I've done numerous exercises with him during nappy change as well, from bicycling, to tummy massage to circling legs, and pushing them back (turning them into a ball position). It helps maybe 60% of the time. What I've come up with is more crazy. I turn him into a superman on my shoulder, move his legs inside and outside (from butt), rotate him sideways, move him up and down while doing so etc etc. All these gymnastics helped him burp as well as relieve gas.

The paedetrician is very matter of factly, clinical and non-chalant, which pisses me off greatly. Her thing is that babies are awesome and can take care of their internal systems without external help, and they only cry to seek attention when doing so. Well I'm sure there is a truth to that sentiment, but our guy is a helpless little ball of misery when its happening and without us intervening, we might as well be torturing him. If I tell her all the exercises I do to him in order to relieve his gas, she will kill me.

Waifu cut dairy, beans, pizza (which has gratuitous cheese) and red meat from the diet. It doesn't seem to make any difference. Like icefire mentioned, we are in the process of supplementing formula and see how that will turn out.

Edit: He does not like the taste of formula by the way, and loves drinking breast milk. It's just horrible to see him suffer for it.

Top Bottom