• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Hitman game first concept art spotted

kuroshiki

splinter cell conviction...a stealth game? I'm going to have to leave this thread before all the new gen gamers give me a stroke.

You can also play Deus Ex human revolution purely stealth except boss fight if you really wanted to. there, satisfied?

but seriously this 'man I'm too old for this youngster shit' is laughable.

MormaPope

Banned
Well that's misleading as hell. There's only been 2 stealth games all generation. Blood Money and Mark of the Ninja. Hitman Absolution is another hybrid stealth game and it fails completely due to its broken disguise system and bad linear level design.

Wow, what a load of dis-ingeniousness . Getting a police/guard uniform and being able to move everywhere and anywhere in the environment isn't stealthy, pushing people over railings and planting bombs on chandeliers isn't stealthy.

The stealthy way/suit only way to play Blood Money without infinite trial and error is to spam the map screen and watch dots move or crouch behind a wall and wait 20 seconds for a guard to move.

Saying Blood money is more of stealth game than Absolution is hilarious.

Derrick01

Banned
You can also play Deus Ex human revolution purely stealth except boss fight if you really wanted to. there, satisfied?

but seriously this 'man I'm too old for this youngster shit' is laughable.

You clearly don't understand the stealth genre but that is fine. Deus Ex HR is not a good stealth game at all, it's a hybrid. It's mechanically inferior in every way to a proper stealth game but it's not supposed to be one anyway, it's a Deus Ex game. Stealth is not simply pressing the crouch button and walking to the end of the level. That's an incredibly basic view of Stealth at least.

Glass Rebel

Blood Money was more of a sandbox puzzle game and I personally prefer the moments in Absolution which try to emulate that style over the linear stealth sections.

kuroshiki

You clearly don't understand the stealth genre but that is fine. Deus Ex HR is not a good stealth game at all, it's a hybrid. It's mechanically inferior in every way to a proper stealth game but it's not supposed to be one anyway, it's a Deus Ex game. Stealth is not simply pressing the crouch button and walking to the end of the level. That's an incredibly basic view of Stealth at least.

To me stealth game is 'hide and don't be seen and finish the game'.

So, please tell me, what is this 'stealth genre' definition that I'm not aware of?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Blood Money works suit only as well. It involves a lot of hilarious AI manipulation and doesn't play very well.

Absolution is a fantastic stealth game, and had the Hitman DNA ingrained in multiple routes everywhere. It doesn't excel nearly as well as Blood Money did regarding pure sandboxes, but it didn't strive to do so and excelled in other ways.

Because control of blood money was awkward as hell to me and I never had fun with it?

I was just sitting there and don't know what to do most of the time.

and yet the game design, particularly the "multiple paths", was incredibly superior to Absolution in every imaginable way. listing the main virtue of Blood Money as a strength of Absolution and then saying that Blood Money is the worse of the two is a strange way to recommend a game.

though i guess Absolution would be superior to gamers incapable of playing without being told exactly what to do.

MormaPope

Banned
Never heard of the term social stealth huh? Aka hiding in plain sight, aka Hitman.

24102.gif

Social stealth sounds like a marketing term, makes me think of a multiplayer game that's focused on stealth. What other games besides Himan have social stealth?

Derrick01

Banned
24102.gif

Social stealth sounds like a marketing term, makes me think of a multiplayer game that's focused on stealth. What other games besides Himan have social stealth?

Not many since no one's really tried to copy the Hitman formula. I think there's some indie or small-ish PC franchise that is basically a poor man's Hitman but that's pretty much it.

I guess you could count AC but they really don't even try to focus on stealth anymore and haven't since they switched directions with AC2.

Absolution was a great game. It lacks the open ended feel of the previous ones, but improves on everything else. It was pretty much the best stealth game of the generation for me. So many ways to approach most of the situations, it was a blast. I've replayed a lot of the missions multiple times now with multiple strategies.

I don't know what to expect from this one. Agent 47 has a pretty heavy background so, I wonder how this Hitman will fit.

Sober

Never heard of the term social stealth huh? Aka hiding in plain sight, aka Hitman.
I think Absolution did okay and tried to merge a bit of that plus actual line-of-sight breaking traditional stealth. I think everyone bitches and whines about the disguise system change but it only works fairly logically that you can't always easily infiltrate by way of disguise without someone noticing you don't look familiar.

I think BM did a good job and those style of levels are still the best but the only real failing of Absolution when they tried to do BM style levels (basically public areas with private areas only certain disguises are allowed past) but with only really ever one disguise, so it becomes "hey, I know you aren't one of us" detection bullshit chains as you try to make your way through/forced to use traditional stealth anyways. If there were multiple disguises with overlapping permissions, it might make it a more risk-reward type situation where someone might just keep swapping them to not get the attention of certain NPCs, or someone might just say fuck it, go suit only and stealth through unseen, or a combination of both.

Absolution had some decent systems, maps and levels mostly sucked. The levels where you are 100% tresspassing
the last level, the shot-up convent
might have been much better if detection wasn't such BS or if say, certain disguises had masks and could just reduce line-of-sight detection to nil, since you can still hide in plain sight as long as they don't have sight of your face for too long.

Top Bottom