• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryce

I've sort of subconsciously convinced myself over the last five years that Brawl's roster is the extent of what Smash Bros. has to offer, so seeing new "official" characters is going to feel so weird to me. I felt the same way before Brawl was revealed.

Ultimately while I want a ton of new characters as with any new Smash game, at this point as long as we get a few long overdue and deserving characters like Mac, Ridley and Mega Man I'm fine with a smaller roster jump. Some attention being given to 'declone' a few fighters like Ganondorf, Toon Link, Lucas and Falco would also be nice.

The fact that Brawl's production was somewhat scrambled at first compared to SSB4 and didn't have a company as big as Namco-Bandai working on it yet still had a jump of something like 17 new fighters makes me doubt we're getting a conservative roster this time. People are putting way too much stock into a single vague Sakurai quote before we've gotten a proper idea of what SSB4 even is.

I know the Pokémon track selection focuses on the main games, but if an arrangement of this tune isn't in the next game there is no justice.
Pffft ahahaha what.

?oe?oe

Are we expecting a big surprise in the trailer? I don't think anything is going to top Snake, unless Megaman gets treated like he deserves (but people want/expect him). There wasn't a big surprise in the Melee reveal and it didn't stop it from being an awesome reveal of course

Kokonoe

Banned
Are we expecting a big surprise in the trailer? I don't think anything is going to top Snake, unless Megaman gets treated like he deserves (but people want/expect him). There wasn't a big surprise in the Melee reveal and it didn't stop it from being an awesome reveal of course

Your face, I don't like it. HAHA!

Azure J

If there's any one Pokemon song I want remixed for Smash 4, it's Primal Dialga.

...I'm sure someone out there agrees.

Black and White have too many awesome tracks I'd love to hear a Smash version of. Nearly every battle track between the Vanilla and "2" version could be used with prominent themes being:

Vs. N
Final N Battle
Vs. Gym Leader
Vs. Rival (Black 2)
Vs. Ghetis (BW & B2W2 Medley)
Vs. Elite Four (these games had the best Elite Four battle theme easily)
Vs. Champion Iris
Vs. Corless (this track absolutely MUST be in Smash 4, it's just too chill)

Wichu

The Pokémon spinoffs always have great music. It would be a shame if SSB ignored it all again :(

The reactions to the Typing boss theme get me every time!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Smash Community: TODAY IS LAST DAY TO EDIT OR POST YOUR PREDICTION CONTEST! THIS WILL BE MY LAST REMINDER POST FOR PREDICTION CONTEST!

DEADLINE: 18 MORE HOURS TO GO! LAST DAY!
t1370847300z4.png

Reward:

First place will pick one between those 2 choices,

$20 eShop Points Card
Any VC game on Wii, 3DS or Wii U when gifting becomes available. from SmithnCo

or

Game & Print Club Print #3: Encounters in Hyrule by Dave Perillo
8"x10" Giclee on Smooth, Fine Art, Moab Entrada Rag Natural 290 gsm, 21.5 mil, archival.
Signed/numbered/sold out limited edition of 86. Hand-embossed.

Updated List:

NeonZ

The fact that Brawl's production was somewhat scrambled at first compared to SSB4 and didn't have a company as big as Namco-Bandai working on it yet still had a jump of something like 17 new fighters makes me doubt we're getting a conservative roster this time. People are putting way too much stock into a single vague Sakurai quote before we've gotten a proper idea of what SSB4 even is.

Especially when he basically made the same comments about Brawl's line up before release, saying that they had already hit a limit with Melee, matching it up again would be difficult and how we should expect character cuts (at least he hasn't mentioned cuts yet this time).

I don't think he mentioned cuts in relation to Brawl until after it had been revealed. I think it was on the proto-Dojo's Japanese site, where he answered some questions from fans.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It seems they have learned to avoid putting characters not in the game to prevent the Melee fiasco of Ridley and Wolf not being in the game.

NeonZ

I don't think he mentioned cuts in relation to Brawl until after it had been revealed. I think it was on the proto-Dojo's Japanese site, where he answered some questions from fans.

You're right. Still, Brawl got the video reveal much earlier during development though.

Wouldn't the Ice Climber be seen as quite the surprise during the Melee reveal?

Except for the fact that few in the audience knew who the Ice Climbers were unless they were hard-core Nintendo fans. Kind of hard to be surprised when you don't know what you should be worked up about.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yeah, watching the E3 footage of Melee's reveal when the Ice Climbers popped up it was mostly "WHAT???!!!" and "WHOOO?".

Hell I remember a few friends thinking Ness was specially designed for Smash and was supposed to be representative of the kids who play Nintendo games or some shit.

Also does anybody have a link to the Smash and NintendoGAF irc's? Inadvertently wiped my internet cache and forgot to bookmark them. Thanks in advance! Derp, link was in the previous page.

Here, until a new topic for new news is made during the Direct (or shortly thereafter, in the very likely event that GAF's server collapses under the pressures of E3).

fisheyes

To pass that one, grueling day, what would people's thoughts be on if Smash 4, either the WiiU, 3DS or both versions, drastically changed the art style? What if, rather than trying to further push the fairly cartoony set of Nintendo characters down the realistic path that Melee and Brawl forged, it did a U-Turn and went back to super cartoony, or even comic book styled art? What would the reactions be from this thread?

I'd imagine backpedalling right when they were about to hit HD levels would annoy a lot of people, but a well done cartoony style artstyle would be great, I would think. I think Brawl already achieved a good balance between cartoony and realistic, and I wouldn't want it going much further in the realistic direction.

The trip over to the other side is coming. Two years we have waited, and the mystery will be unveiled. We'll actually start being able to refer to this game by a proper name.

It has been an honor, gentlemen.

The trip over to the other side is coming. Two years we have waited, and the mystery will be unveiled. We'll actually start being able to refer to this game by a proper name.

Indeed it has. I hope for your sake that we see a playable Medusa tomorrow, and a playable Hades for mine ;)

GamerSoul

Jesus, gaf is really getting hit right now. And yep it's been fun and an honor. Sill can't believes we are almost there.

Can someone drop that Smash GAF chatroom link while GAF is up? I'll most likely be getting off work around the time the Direct starts and I want join everyone in the hype. If today's any indication, browsing GAF will be useless.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Super Cash Bros U to be F2P. Mario and Battlefield will be free. Everything else if behind a paywall. This includes the option to press Start to play.

LOL. My joke about Smash actually came true.

Albeit the game in question is Killer Instinct.

LOL. My joke about Smash actually came true.

Albeit the game in question is Killer Instinct.
I still can't believe that's actually what happened. Just emotions running wild at the moment but Microsoft well and truly killed one of my favorite developers.

Sort of hope something DK related, Retro/EAD Tokyo/Monster Games/whoever, does happen just so some part of old-Rare can continue to live on.

We'll get our DK related goodness today in Smash at the very least, BELIEVE.
An actual new game would be nice as well, they can't ignore all that Returns money surely?
Anyway I wont be around during the direct, assume that I collapsed from sheer hype if the trailer lives up to the absurd expectations.

On this note, time for some final trailer hopes, not limiting this to characters I expect, instead opting for my straight up wish list
- K.Rool or Dixie
- Ridley
- Palutena or Hades
- Little Mac
- Dillon
- Agent J (I've got a good feeling about this one!)
I could go further with like Primeape or something equally as unlikely but i'll stop here, hoping the reveal includes at least one of these characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom