• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Sakurai even know who this is?

Gentlemen, you have your mission.

CaptainN.jpg

The first Nintendo All-Star Mash Up

Zero have moves for SSB while classic MegaMan don't have any sort of punch, they must radically change gameplay for him.

Samus
Kirby
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Captain Falcon
Pit
Yoshi
Captain Olimar

just saying.

Mista Koo

I kinda like the idea of combining Diddy and Dixie, especially if they didn't move separately (maybe only switched places and properties through attacks?).
Also agree that ZSS should have her own slot.

I can see a Rhythm Heaven character as a G&W style WTF character. He should incorporate a lot of mini game characters in his moves (karate guy, glee club member, tennis player, wrestler, etc). The only problem that his games aren't popular enough nor is he a retro homage.

WTF characters is my favorite kind of characters.
Joke characters ala Dan and Mega Man are my favorites. That's why I want this guy in the game:
ViGKX.png

(Or Waluigi and Tingle separately).

PokéKong

The Rhythm Heaven series is almost like a toned-down version of the WarioWare series in terms of WTF-ness, so Wario already representing WarioWare already sort of steals that thunder. An assist trophy that incorporates several characters would be better.

Do you think they would incorporate Mega Man's power absorption aspect at all? Something along the lines of Kirby, but he has never really had a "copy" power like Kirby, so I've considered it would work where you gain a move of the last character you KO'd. It'd be extra cool if his colors swapped for each Buster power, but that could potentially make mulitplayer matches highly confusing.

spanks

The most I'm expecting from Pilotwings would probably be a move or two if Mii got in. Maybe like a jetpack for an up B.

Yeah I don't expect Lark, that's why I suggested him as an unexpected character! Pilotwings is one of those underdog series that probably won't even get a trophy.

?oe?oe

I am the only one (yes, of course) who doesn't want Mega Man in? He has been in countless fighters, being in Smash Bros isn't anything remotely exciting.

I am the only one (yes, of course) who doesn't want Mega Man in? He has been in countless fighters, being in Smash Bros isn't anything remotely exciting.

I kinda agree. It would be one of the most "Mehh" 3rd party characters at this point when it comes to hyping me up.

Also doesn't help that Capcom is now treating the MM series like it's red headed stepchild.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

By countless you mean 2 right (4 if you count the two Megaman Fighter which isn't really even a fighting game).

Megaman Volnutt and Zero =/= classic after all.

KevinCow

Banned

Classic Mega Man has only been in two, the first two MvC games. Not really countless.

Zero's been in a bunch, .exe was in that Onimusha game, Volnutt was in TvC, and now bad box art Mega Man in SFxT, but none of them are classic, vanilla Mega Man.

?oe?oe

Classic Mega Man has only been in two, the first two MvC games. Not really countless.

Zero's been in a bunch, .exe was in that Onimusha game, Volnutt was in TvC, and now bad box art Mega Man in SFxT, but none of them are classic, vanilla Mega Man.
Well, either way, I felt he was a horrible fighter in some of those games and that has left a sour taste in my mouth :/

Boss Doggie

To be honest Megaman (classic) is a shitty character.

Also X Zero has been in two games (TvC and MvC3/UMvC3) while Zero Zero has been in one (SvC).

So I just watched the Nintendo Direct stream where Sakurai spoke about Kid Icarus stuff.

Am I the only one who thinks that Kid Icarus might tell us a lot about the sort of character customization he's considering for Smash brothers?

The "lunchbox filled with super moves" & the different weapons that all have a huge influence on playstyle both scream explicit customization. So it wouldn't surprise me if it's what gave Sakurai the idea to do something similar in Smash.

KevinCow

Banned
He sucked in MvC. He was a poor representative of his series, and also just generally not a good fighter. If they put him in Smash or any other fighter again, they'll have to take a completely different approach.

My idea is that almost all of his moves be something he shoots in one of his games. For a standard jab, Cutman's scissors could pop out of his gun for a quick snip. His d-tilt could drop a lead bubble that zips along the ground a short distance before popping. D-air could drop a concrete block on someone below him. It would represent his character and series well, and would give him a unique play style.

Boss Doggie

He sucked in MvC. He was a poor representative of his series, and also just generally not a good fighter. If they put him in Smash or any other fighter again, they'll have to take a completely different approach.

My idea is that almost all of his moves be something he shoots in one of his games. For a standard jab, Cutman's scissors could pop out of his gun for a quick snip. His d-tilt could drop a lead bubble that zips along the ground a short distance before popping. D-air could drop a concrete block on someone below him. It would represent his character and series well, and would give him a unique play style.

Yeah, I agree with this. Instead of stealing powers, he should just have them shoot out as special attacks much like how the better Megaman characters in fighting games (Zero, Volnutt) did.

Snakey

Here is a moveset I made for Mega Man:

Mega Man moveset:

Mega Man is the only new third-party character that added for Smash 4. I feel the whole point of Smash Bros. is to celebrate Nintendo history. I feel that a guest character in Smash Bros. needs to have an EXTENSIVE history with Nintendo (meaning not one or two games, but having been on Nintendo consoles for a long time), and actually an icon that would sell games. Mega Man perfectly fits all of this criteria.

Mega Man is perhaps one of the top 5 most requested character for Smash 4, and by far the most requested third-party character, so he basically has the popularity factor going for him. Mega Man, if he got in, has more history with Nintendo by far than both Sonic and Snake combined. Mega Man started on the NES, and while many third-party series that started on the NES jumped ship (Final Fantasy), Mega Man continues to have games released on Nintendo consoles, and is still synonymous with Nintendo to this day. The creator of the series, Keiji Inafun, has also expressed interest about Mega Man appearing in Smash Bros., and said that he was curious as to why Nintendo had not approached him about it. Finally, Mega Man has a lot of moveset potential and would make for a very interesting character addition. It is the combination of these many reasons that make Mega Man by far the most worthy third-party character to enter Smash Bros. 4 as a newcomer.

Mega Man is a very interesting character. He has made many abilities in the many games he has had over the years, however, many of them are projectiles. However, in some Mega Man games, his power-ups were not projectiles, and rather interesting and unique (however, there were some very interesting projectile attacks in the first three Mega Man games in my opinion). The problem with Mega Man is deciding which of these power-ups to include in his moveset. While Mega Man won’t be given a copy ability for his moveset, he will instead have several power-ups from his games in both his A-moves and specials. Also, Mega Man has already been in a fighting game, Marvel vs. Capcom. Mega Man had special in that game. I feel the specials that Mega Man had in Marvel vs. Capcom are perhaps the best for his moveset. However, a lot of Mega Man’s regular moves will have special-like properties.

As for which Mega Man I would place into Smash 4, it would most definitely be “Classic” Mega Man. The “Classic” Mega Man is the most iconic Mega Man of all, and is certainly the most popular. Also, he is the first incarnation of Mega Man and has had the most games, and has made most of his appearances on Nintendo consoles. It is for this reason that “Classic” Mega Man is the best option as to which Mega Man to use. So here is my moveset for Mega Man, and I hope that is shows truly how much of an unique character he would be.

Mega Man regular moves:
A: Mega Man punches with his arm.
AA: Mega Man punches with his arm cannon.
AAA: Mega Man does a kick.
Running-A: Mega Man does his slide from his games.
Side-A: Mega Man does the Slash Claw from Mega Man 7.
Down-A: Mega Man shoots a Search Snake from Mega Man 3. The Search Snake is weak but it can climb up and down walls.
Up-A: Mega Man shoots a D. Wrap from Mega Man 7 (basically a bubble with an explosive in it), the explosive detonates once an opponent gets hit by it obviously.
A-Air: Mega Man does the Top Spin from Mega Man 3.
Forward-Air: Mega Man bashes a giant block against his opponent with the power of his Super Arm from the first Mega Man.
Backward-Air: Mega Man shoots a Wind Storm from Mega Man 6.
Down-Air: Mega Man drills downward with the Drill power-up from Mega Man 4.
Up-Air: Mega Man shoots a few needles from his Needle Cannon in Mega Man 3 upward.

Forward-Smash: Mega Man does the S. Wheel from Mega Man 7. The fire ring circles around Mega Man’s body while charging. When he is done charging the fire ring spins on the ground just like in Mega Man 7. How long the fire wheel lasts depends upon how long you charged up the smash attack.

Down-Smash: Mega Man does W. Coil from Mega Man 7 (Mega Man 7 sure did have a lot of good power-ups). Whenever Mega Man is done charging, he will throw a bouncing spring from out of each of his arms, on each side of him just like in Mega Man 7. The number of times the springs bounce on the arena is dependent on how long you charged up this attack.

Up-Smash: Mega Man does the Gravity Hold from Mega Man 5. Upon doing this, opponent close to Mega Man will be knocked upward, and then fall back down as though they tripped. The size gravity force field for this attack is dependent on how long you charged up this attack.

For Mega Man’s Grabs he uses the Thunder Claw from Mega Man 8. In this sense Mega Man is similar to Samus. However, Mega Man’s actual throws are different
Grab-A: Mega Man punches his grabbed opponent.
Forward-Grab: Mega Man slashes them forward with the Flame Sword from Mega Man 8.
Backward-Grab: Mega Man will throw his opponent backward then quickly toss some Quick Boomerangs from Mega Man 2 at his opponent.
Down-Grab: Mega Man slams his opponent to the ground and then slides into them with the C. Kick from Mega Man 5.
Up-Grab: Mega Man will toss his opponent upward then zap them with the Electric Beam from the first Mega Man.

Mega Man special moves:

Regular-B: Mega Buster: What would be a Mega Man moveset without his famed Mega Buster attack? Well, this attack works very similar to how it works in the actual Mega Man games. You hold B to charge the Mega Buster. However, you can charge while moving. Also, the Mega Buster charges up relatively fast just like in the games, however, it is not that strong (only 15% damage fully charged). Also, the Mega Buster shot will be fired whenever you let go of the B-button, which is also similar to how the Mega Buster worked in the games.

Side-B: Mega Ball: Mega Man takes out a Mega Ball from Mega Man 8. This special move is very similar to the soccer ball in Brawl. If Mega Man does an attack on the Mega Ball, it will be launched in a certain direction depending upon the attack. If the ball hits an opponent, the ball will inflict about 15% damage on them. However, the ball disappears after it hits the opponent.

Down-B: Leaf Shield: Mega Man performs the Leaf Shield from Mega Man 2. The Leaf Shield damages nearby opponents when they come into contact with it, and will also protect Mega Man from projectile attacks. However, the Leaf Shield will disappear if Mega Man contacts an opponent while it is activated, or if a projectile hits it. Mega Man can also launch the Leaf Shield at his opponents by jumping (the Leaf Shield would automatically be launched if Mega Man was in midair in Mega Man 2), or by pressing down-b again.

Up-B: Tornado Hold: Mega Man has many viable options for a recovery move, however, the Tornado Hold from Mega Man 8 stuck me as a bit different from other options. If performed in mid-air Mega Man will shoot the gyro below him that performs a tornado gust that lifts Mega Man upward. When performed on the ground, Mega Man simply shoots out of the gyro for the Tornado Hold and then the tornado is unleashed which simply launches your opponents upward but does no damages, so it is more of an inconvenience for them. This is an excellent recovery move and has very high vertical recovery and lasts quite a bit.

Final Smash: Astro Crush: Mega Man performs the Astro Crush from Mega Man 8 as his Final Smash. While this attack only showers meteors for a few seconds, Mega Man can perform it four times (however, after a minute he can no longer perform it). Overall, this is not a powerful Final Smash, and is mostly situational.

Mega Man’s taunts are as follows:
1. Mega Man gives a thumbs-up and smiles.
2. Mega Man jumps up and raises one of his arms in triumph.
3. Mega Man sits down and scratches his head with a confused expression on his face.

Mega Man’s victory animations are as follows:
1. Mega Man will be jumping up and down with excitement that he won.
2. Mega Man will be riding Rush in his jet form, and then balance himself upside down on one of his hands.
3. Mega Man will be bouncing the Mega Ball around as though it were a soccer ball, and kicks it toward the screen.

Running animation:
Mega Man’s running animation consists of a faster version of his walking animation from Mega Man 8. Mega Man will be doing his walking animation from Mega Man 8, only his arms and legs will be moving much faster since he is running.

Idle animation:
Mega Man does little for his idle animation. Mega Man just shakes his arms and blinks, just like in the games. He also sometimes looks around like he does in Mega Man 7.

Costumes:
1. Mega Man’s blue parts become green, and his light-blue parts become white.
2. Mega Man’s blue parts become orange, and his light-blue parts become yellow.
3. Mega Man’s blue parts become purple, and his light-blue parts become light-green.
4. Mega Man’s blue parts become red, and his light-blue parts become grey.
5. Mega Man’s blue parts become grey, and his light-blue parts become blue.

Kirby Hat:
When Kirby’s absorbs Mega Man, he will gain Mega Man’s helmet and have the Mega Man’s arm cannon on one of his arms. Obviously, the special move he will gain will be Mega Buster which will work the same as it does with Mega Man.

Mega Man-Snake Codec Conversation:
Snake: Otacon, who is that boy in the armor?
Otacon: That’s no boy. He’s a super fighting robot… his name is Mega Man. He was created by Dr. Thomas Light. Ironically enough, he was not created with the intention of fighting, and was actually pressed into a combative role when Dr. Light’s assistant Dr. Albert Wily started using his advanced robotics knowledge for attempts at world domination.
Snake: Mega Man huh… more like Mega Boy if you ask me.
Otacon: Mega Man has gone through many trials and adventures, more than you have. He has gained many bizarre abilities and attacks through these quests. There is no way I can describe them all to you in such a short amount of time.
Snake: Just name the ones I should watch out for in particular….
Otacon: Well…. His Mega Buster is quite potent and charges up fast. His Leaf Shield can block your grenades and missiles. Mega Man will also use some sort of ball contraption which he will kick into his opponents. Mega Man can also create gusts through gyro, that will blow you upward, and possibly disorientate you. However, this is just the tip of the iceberg Snake. He uses many other attacks, though these are ones we have seen him use the most.
Snake: Hmm, does not seem that bad…
Otacon: Snake, Mega Man is probably one of the most tactful opponents you will face in Smash Bros., he is able to observe his opponent’s weaknesses fairly quickly and use a weapon or tactic that would counter greatly against them.
Snake: Hmm, lucky for me I have you to counter this guy.
Otacon: About time you complemented me.
Snake: Heh, no problem, well thanks again for the heads-up. Snake out.
End of codec.

End of Mega Man moveset.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
pretty impressive megaman moveset, but I am curious about one thing.

I thought it would be cool if he still have copy mechanic. I think he can remain it without changing the moveset. He have to K.O any character to receive their power.

To get rid of power would require same input as you do with kirby hat.

KevinCow

Banned
pretty impressive megaman moveset, but I am curious about one thing.

I thought it would be cool if he still have copy mechanic. I think he can remain it without changing the moveset. He have to K.O any character to receive their power.

To get rid of power would require same input as you do with kirby hat.

He could get their side B instead of regular B to differentiate from Kirby a bit.

His shield, instead of being the standard bubble shield, should be the rotating shields from various games. Just press the shield button and it whips out leaf shield, or skull shield, or jewel shield. Could be any of them, it randomly chooses. Functionally identical to a standard shield, just looks cooler.

Alternate Mega Man move list: Every attack is Metal Blade.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
l didn't. Why?

Every time Zero touch fighting games, he became top tier or high tier. I don't want to deal with haters if zero is broken tier in SSB.

He is high/top/broke tier in those games that he touched. (I believe he got in only 4 fighting games)

CvS2 - Broken tier (banned from tournament due to boss character status)
TvC - high to top tier (Marn proved it)
MVC3 - high to top tier (very debatable)
UMVC3 - Top Tier

Hisster

That may be true but fighting games that have him in roster was all Capcom VS. l understand what you mean but it doesn't mean that will be case with SSB game.

Boss Doggie

Every time Zero touch fighting games, he became top tier or high tier. I don't want to deal with haters if zero is broken tier in SSB.

He is high/top/broke tier in those games that he touched. (I believe he got in only 4 fighting games)

CvS2 - Broken tier (banned from tournament due to boss character status)
TvC - high to top tier (Marn proved it)
MVC3 - high to top tier (very debatable)
UMVC3 - Top Tier

Corrections:
a) It's SvC Chaos, not CvS2
b) It's MMZ Zero, not MMX Zero. The two might be "the same" Zero but their moves are different.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
That may be true but fighting games that have him in roster was all Capcom VS. l understand what you mean but it doesn't mean that will be case with SSB game.

If I predict those 4 special moves that they are going to use for Zero. All I can says, good luck. He might be worse than Metaknight.

That's if I predict it correctly.

Corrections:
a) It's SvC Chaos, not CvS2
b) It's MMZ Zero, not MMX Zero. The two might be "the same" Zero but their moves are different.

I stand corrected.

GamerSoul

I'm expecting a quick (probably 30 seconds) "hey, we're still making this" announcement. Expecting more is foolish.

Yea, same here. I don't think there will be much yet. We will probably get a draft logo and more talk about how this game will be for both the 3DS and Wii U. A trailer would be a surprise at this point, but they do have 4 months to create one if they wanted.

Yea, same here. I don't think there will be much yet. We will probably get a draft logo and more talk about how this game will be for both the 3DS and Wii U. A trailer would be a surprise at this point, but they do have 4 months to create one if they wanted.

People are forgetting that this is Smash Bros ... not Mario or LoZ where there's some huge change in gameplay every gen. For a e3 trailer they could just upgrade a few character models, use the brawl engine for the gameplay snippets, do a few nice looking place holder stages, add in a few characters they know are gonna be newcomers (if they don't have the full list done by then) and just outsource the more cinematic parts if that's what they do. But that's assuming the game stays how we expect a Smash game to be and doesn't become Nintendo's Power Stones (which I wouldn't hate).

Or they could just go for a full cinematic trailer that shows off a few newcomers along with the new looks of the star vets (Mario, Pikachu, Link, Kirby, Samus) and have that outsourced if needed. This is a biggy for Nintendo and they already announced it ... don't see them not making a trailer for it at the WU's big "re-reveal aka this time we're gonna do it right!" e3 showing.

And looking back at Brawl's first trailer .... it shows a lot while not showing much at all.
You see the vets do their thing, you see a few moves from Pitt and MK along with them jumping, you see final smashes and that's it. ZZS, Wario and Snake only show up in non-gameplay ways and some of those areas look like complete trash.

If they can get that done in 7 months then I'm sure they can get something good for however long they would have been working on SSB4 by e3 2012.

leroidys

I agree, and I am a huge, HUGE mega man fan. I just don't think he would fit well in Smash, and would prefer his spot go to another nintendo character. Ditto with sonic and snake, but the damage is already done there.

Thores

People are forgetting that this is Smash Bros ... not Mario or LoZ where there's some huge change in gameplay every gen. For a e3 trailer they could just upgrade a few character models, use the brawl engine for the gameplay snippets, do a few nice looking place holder stages, add in a few characters they know are gonna be newcomers (if they don't have the full list done by then) and just outsource the more cinematic parts if that's what they do. But that's assuming the game stays how we expect a Smash game to be and doesn't become Nintendo's Power Stones (which I wouldn't hate).

Or they could just go for a full cinematic trailer that shows off a few newcomers along with the new looks of the star vets (Mario, Pikachu, Link, Kirby, Samus) and have that outsourced if needed. This is a biggy for Nintendo and they already announced it ... don't see them not making a trailer for it at the WU's big "re-reveal aka this time we're gonna do it right!" e3 showing.

And looking back at Brawl's first trailer .... it shows a lot while not showing much at all.
You see the vets do their thing, you see a few moves from Pitt and MK along with them jumping, you see final smashes and that's it. ZZS, Wario and Snake only show up in non-gameplay ways and some of those areas look like complete trash.

If they can get that done in 7 months then I'm sure they can get something good for however long they would have been working on SSB4 by e3 2012.

The time in between SSB4 beginning development and this year's E3? 4 months at most. More likely 3 and a half. That's half as much time, and as you said yourself, the debut trailer last time didn't even show that much. I'm not saying it won't happen, but saying it will happen no question about it is setting your expectations a bit high I think.

GamerSoul

Dillon is worthy of a character right? Not just as an assist trophy?

RIGHT? AM I RIGHT GUYS?

My answer to you is: WHO?

I'd like a CG trailer to look at over and over again, frame by frame. They could outsource it like you said if they are really determined to do it. Just get a story board worked out and the characters needed, but again I'm not getting my hopes up for it.

So far we know he is looking over the Dojo and maybe Brawl as a whole. We don't know if anything part of the game has been substantially looked at even on the concept level while he was working on KI, but it is a possibility.

Thores

Yeah, I think any eShop-debut characters are going to be Assist Trophies at best. It'd be kinda cool though if say Dillon was in the 3DS version of SSB4, and you unlocked him for the Wii U version by connecting the two games.

leroidys

Dillon is worthy of a character right? Not just as an assist trophy?

RIGHT? AM I RIGHT GUYS?

I don't know, I don't have a problem with him specifically and I think they could make a great moveset for him, but something about putting a download only character in the game just rubs me the wrong way.

Codeblue

Yeah, I think any eShop-debut characters are going to be Assist Trophies at best. It'd be kinda cool though if say Dillon was in the 3DS version of SSB4, and you unlocked him for the Wii U version by connecting the two games.

I hope he pops up and just stares everyone down if he does make it to assist trophy.

Boss Doggie

I don't know, I don't have a problem with him specifically and I think they could make a great moveset for him, but something about putting a download only character in the game just rubs me the wrong way.

He just needs to rub at the opposite direction.

Oh. ok. He'll be a fine addition to the awesome cast of stickers. Maybe if we're lucky, a trophy even. :3

A POX ON YOU!

Galang

Banned
Didn't Brawl have thirty six characters? Only adding eight more would be an awful disappointment IMO. They need to drop a bunch of the extra crap that everyone quit playing after the first couple of weeks of owning the game and just go nuts on characters and stages.

Yeah this was what I thought as well. Major disappointment either way if they only added 8 new characters, unless they drastically changed each of the previous character's movesets.

And I also agree about the extra stuff, I think the majority of players ignored the subspace emissary after they unlocked everything... I would love them to focus on just balancing and fine-tuning characters and stages. Didn't think the stages in Brawl for the most part were anything special, and I personally thought the Melee event mode was good enough.. didn't spend much time in the brawl one. Bosses definitely have to return though, very nice addition. :)

leroidys

Yeah this was what I thought as well. Major disappointment either way if they only added 8 new characters, unless they drastically changed each of the previous character's movesets.

And I also agree about the extra stuff, I think the majority of players ignored the subspace emissary after they unlocked everything... I would love them to focus on just balancing and fine-tuning characters and stages. Didn't think the stages in Brawl for the most part were anything special, and I personally thought the Melee event mode was good enough.. didn't spend much time in the brawl one. Bosses definitely have to return though, very nice addition. :)

I'm all for extra stuff, but the problem with SSE and the coin game weren't that they were superfluous, but that they were shit.

As long as all 8 characters were quality and cool, I would not be that disappointed. More is always better, but if its just padding out the roster with stupid characters like Lip, ROB, Geno, etc., it just makes the game feel lamer IMO.

GamerSoul

As long as all 8 characters were quality and cool, I would not be that disappointed. More is always better, but if its just padding out the roster with stupid characters like Lip, ROB, Geno, etc., it just makes the game feel lamer IMO.

I think there are a lot of lame characters in Brawl. But I another man trash is another man's main and that's fine. I want more than 8 characters personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom