• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Super Smash Bros. discussion thread, Community Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

leroidys

I am baffled as to why people call ROB a filler/padding character.

I don't know if I can describe it exactly. I think it stems from how he seemed like a really disappointing final unlock in Mario Kart DS. Before the release of brawl, I believe he was the final confirmed character, and I had a similar reaction then. Compounding the original disappointment, his moveset just seems stupid and boring. He is one of the least fun characters to play as, in my estimation at least.

I don't know if I can describe it exactly. I think it stems from how he seemed like a really disappointing final unlock in Mario Kart DS. Before the release of brawl, I believe he was the final confirmed character, and I had a similar reaction then. Compounding the original disappointment, his moveset just seems stupid and boring. He is one of the least fun characters to play as, in my estimation at least.

BUT YOU'RE NOT A REAL NINTENDO FAN IF YOU HATE ROB

C'MON MAN, GET WITH IT

leroidys

-He's a killing machine that runs on Diesel because he can fly for days.
-has a beyblade
-has a laser
-has a spike
-can do the robot
-reminds me of Wall E

now Olimar I have no idea.

Yeah, Olimar is one of the more boring playstyles in the game. He is a BEAST though, so that makes up for it quite well.

spanks

Hey guys, I wanna see your Never-gonna-happen Lists.
The characters you left out of the other list because they were too 'unrealistic'.

Here's my one for reference:
(In order from probably never to NEVER EVER!)
1. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
2. Cranky Kong (DKC)
3. Flint (Mother)
4. Lark/Nester (Pilotwings)
5. Sturm (Advance Wars)
6. Kyle Hyde (Hotel Dusk)
7. Pious Augustus (Eternal Darkness)
8. Maxwell (Scribblenauts)
9. Earthworm Jim
10. Banjo-Kazooie

leroidys

The characters you left out of the other list because they were too 'unrealistic'.

Here's my one for reference:
(In order from probably never to NEVER EVER!)

Mine are in order of want, I only included things that have ~0% chance.

1) Tingle
2) Fawful
3) Real Toon Link/ Unique hero of the winds moveset
4) Porky
5) Professor E. Gadd
6) Donkey Kong Jr.
7) Baby Mario & Luigi team
8) Balloon Kid

MisterHero

Sakurai very briefly reference Ken/Ryu when he was going over moves/animations for Brawl so he/they're not out of the picture D:

Unrealistic characters for me would be

-Andross (Story mode boss perhaps!)
-Kraid
-Tatanga
-Dark Samus and SA-X (either could have a cool Final Smash but they're still too close to Samus)
-Any Paper Mario character (I suppose they could be flat like Mr Game & Watch, but I'd feel like it was a waste if they weren't 3D models)
-Kamek (though Magikoopa has been in the dumps ever since being removed from Mario Kart R 64
-Ryota Hayami (I don't know how they'd do a Jetski out of water :p)
-BattleClash robot
-John Raimi from Geist
-General Herman/Brigadier Betty/Frontier Infantry from Battalion Wars
-Mona from Warioware (Ashley's better)
-Animal Crossing kids

Shamrock7r said:
I hope Nintendo puts in Mallow or freaking Booster just see all the Geno fans get mad.
I'm curious, what did Geno do to traumatize you and earn your endless ire?

Does there really need to be a hundred more posts of the same posters saying "Geno suxxors"?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I am baffled as to why people call ROB a filler/padding character.

SSB is popular with a younger generation who have no idea who ROB is and why it was so important for the NES' early success in the US (also means they haven't played Wario Ware or FZero GX)

I'd like a CG trailer to look at over and over again, frame by frame. They could outsource it like you said if they are really determined to do it. Just get a story board worked out and the characters needed, but again I'm not getting my hopes up for it.

So far we know he is looking over the Dojo and maybe Brawl as a whole. We don't know if anything part of the game has been substantially looked at even on the concept level while he was working on KI, but it is a possibility.

The time in between SSB4 beginning development and this year's E3? 4 months at most. More likely 3 and a half. That's half as much time, and as you said yourself, the debut trailer last time didn't even show that much. I'm not saying it won't happen, but saying it will happen no question about it is setting your expectations a bit high I think.

I'm sure that logically it makes lil sense to put off all work for your next big title until all the work is done on your current one (that seems to be a common practice among Nintendo devs at least, always working on the next thing in some way before the current thing is done) so I'm sure that some team of people have been working away at ideas for SSB4 in some way for a while now. Add to that the fact that KI was delayed and certain departments may not be needed in w/e they needed to do to fix the problems and you have good reason to think that he could have people working on Smash before KI went gold.

So though Sakurai may not have officially started development on smash months ago I'm sure somethings been happening. That's part of why some think that the leaked documents are legit, they appear to be idea sheets tossed around the staff members and not final ideas.

But back on topic ... if they can make the first TP trailer 2 months before that year's e3 then I have no reason to doubt they can get something brawl trailer level done for SSB4.

Guys I figured out what this game needs, Stunt Race FX representation, why the hell has this been ignored?!
The token WTF? character can be one of the vehicles

PokéKong

Here's mine, they are all characters I would very much want but are a lost hope.

• Marche
  • Paula
  • Kumatora
  • Professor Layton
  • Mog/Moogle
  • Bomberman
  • Rayman
  • Marina Liteyear
  • Midna
  • Andy
  • Hector
  • Lyn
  • Ephraim

To take even more feasibility from Paula and Kumatora, I would prefer for them to inherit Ness and Lucas's movesets respectively, and then have Ness/Lucas totally reworked to better reflect their actual abilities in their games.

Svafnir

Hmm, I was just thinking how much I would love if the single player took place in the classic video game worlds.

Examples:
Super Mario World levels with the same graphic style of SMW

DKC2 style level and music.. I would love that.

Perhaps would be hard to pull off, and might not work having clashing art styles and could put off a lot off people having 8/16bit type levels. But I would like it.

squid

Ok, so what's the consensus; do people want another Smash Bros Dojo for this one? Or did most feel like it spoiled too much and ruined the surprise/fun when it finally released?

I wouldn't mind something similar to the Dojo, but I think it should be weekly updates. At least then you would still get new info for it fairly regularly (thus keeping up the hype), but you don't spoil every single thing about the game before release.

Svafnir

Eh, I would stay up waiting for every dojo update and it kept me super hyped for a long time. But eventually... I stopped caring, I didn't even buy the game till a few months after release. I feel like the dojo ended up being just too much information for me and I stopped caring for a bit.

NeonZ

Ok, so what's the consensus; do people want another Smash Bros Dojo for this one? Or did most feel like it spoiled too much and ruined the surprise/fun when it finally released?

I wouldn't mind something similar to the Dojo, but I think it should be weekly updates. At least then you would still get new info for it fairly regularly (thus keeping up the hype), but you don't spoil every single thing about the game before release.

The only big things that the Dojo spoiled were the elements that'd have been spoiled anyway in any other game, like Sonic and the starting cast + Marth & Ness who are even in the opening.

The only problem with daily updates are the inevitable banana peels news, but some of them were rather fun anyway.

spanks

Ryu Hyabusa probably deserves to be in this, right? Dude was like renowned by NES kids .

Yeah, that's what I thought. Plus Tecmo's work on Other M and NG3 being a launch title for the WiiU. But he doesn't seem very popular with the Smash fans, I barely see him being mentioned. It's all up to Sakurai, I guess.

Guys I figured out what this game needs, Stunt Race FX representation, why the hell has this been ignored?!
The token WTF? character can be one of the vehicles

I totally did mention it in my post a couple pages back! It's hard to imagine Coupe/F-Type as a fighter, but it totally could work. It'd be pretty crazy!

I imagine a stage(a race track) to help represent all the racing games, since their characters/vehicles probably won't be represented any other way. Like maybe it starts off in a motocross stadium, with Excitebikers, -Trucks, and -Bots all racing in the background. Every once in a while you might see Coupe or F-Type from Stunt Race, or maybe Mach Rider, zoom by. The stage could even move to new environments, so you'd be fighting by a lake and see Wave Racers go by, or on a mountain and see 1080 boarders race past.

I totally did mention it in my post a couple pages back! It's hard to imagine him as a fighter, but it totally could work. It'd be pretty crazy!

I imagine a stage(a race track) to help represent all the racing games, since their characters/vehicles probably won't be represented any other way. Like maybe it starts off in a motocross stadium, with Excitebikers, -Trucks, and -Bots all racing in the background. Every once in a while you might see Coupe or F-Type from Stunt Race, or maybe Mach Rider, zoom by. The stage could even move to new environments, so you'd be fighting by a lake and see Wave Racers go by, or on a mountain and see 1080 boarders race past.
Ah, so you did, if this stage gets some music from the game in i'm all for it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6XQEh3XqSQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5hMjhaPu84&feature=related

I'm curious, what did Geno do to traumatize you and earn your endless ire?

Does there really need to be a hundred more posts of the same posters saying "Geno suxxors"?

I actually love Geno and he was always in my party in Mario RPG. Geno has been such a sought after character for so long in Smash that it's kind of become a running joke.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
SA-X should be a non-shitty Samus.

i.e. has Ice Beam, Gravity Jump, Wave Beam and Super Bomb.

SSB is popular with a younger generation who have no idea who ROB is and why it was so important for the NES' early success in the US (also means they haven't played Wario Ware or FZero GX)

He's already not filler by virtue of being actually important in Nintendo history.

cednym

Banned
I made a quick fantasy roster:

jLh5i.png

Obviously, some of those choices are more realistic than others.

I realize it's not the kind of selection that everybody wants to see ("No Isaac? Tingle?!"), but it's in line with the thinking behind Sakurai's previous rosters — to me, anyway.

I know Sakurai said that Animal Crossing characters wouldn't work as fighters, but that was before the release of a feature film, City Folk, and an upcoming 3DS game. It's simply too big to ignore now.

Tingle and Goroh are the least likely to be included, but I have them pegged as semi-clones of Balloon Fighter and Takamaru, respectively. If the latter two make it in, I think Tingle and Goroh have a chance out of sheer convenience. Goroh isn't relevant anymore, but he is the second most popular/recognizable F-Zero character, and Sakurai seems to like him; he appeared in Melee's FMV opening and he's an Assist Trophy in Brawl. Besides, there might be an F-Zero game in the works for the 3DS or Wii U… (I almost got through that without laughing.)

That brings me to another point. Sakurai might have knowledge of future releases that the public isn't privy to, so it's nearly impossible for any of us to make fully founded guesses about the roster.

Tyeforce

I want the DOJO!! back, exactly like it was last time. New updates every weekday. Seriously, the DOJO!! was what fueled me everyday back then. The time of the DOJO!! was easily one of the greatest times ever for me. There was always something Smash Bros. related to talk about everyday, regardless of how insignificant it was. It was so great. I remember when certain updates were revealed, I'd be thinking about it all day. And then there's the times where I would stay up late waiting for the update...ah, so good. I'll be very disappointed if the DOJO!! doesn't return like that. :(

McNum

The Dojo was fun, but it could be improved a bit.

It was awesome when a new character was announced, but there were also some disappointing reveals. It'd be nice if a new Dojo would have perhaps at least the categories of the week's reveals revealed in advance. So you don't sit and wait for the update only to see the Maxim Tomato, since you already knew that Tuesday was going to be an item. You know, tease a bit, too. Like just putting up a "????" when you have something worth hyping for. (One of these should end up as Banana Peel, just for old time's sake.)

Tyeforce

I made a quick fantasy roster:

jLh5i.png

Obviously, some of those choices are more realistic than others.

I realize it's not the kind of selection that everybody wants to see ("No Isaac? Tingle?!"), but it's in line with the thinking behind Sakurai's previous rosters — to me, anyway.

I know Sakurai said that Animal Crossing characters wouldn't work as fighters, but that was before the release of a feature film, City Folk, and an upcoming 3DS game. It's simply too big to ignore now.

Tingle and Goroh are the least likely to be included, but I have them pegged as semi-clones of Balloon Fighter and Takamaru, respectively. If the latter two make it in, I think Tingle and Goroh have a chance out of sheer convenience. Goroh isn't relevant anymore, but he is the second most popular/recognizable F-Zero character, and Sakurai seems to like him; he appeared in Melee's FMV opening and he's an Assist Trophy in Brawl. Besides, there might be an F-Zero game in the works for the 3DS or Wii U… (I almost got through that without laughing.)

That brings me to another point. Sakurai might have knowledge of future releases that the public isn't privy to, so it's nearly impossible for any of us to make fully founded guesses about the roster.
I agree with you here, I think Animal Crossing definitely deserves a playable character, and there's no reason that they wouldn't work out. "Too peaceful" my ass, when did R.O.B. or Mr. Game & Watch ever hurt a fly? But yeah, I think there should totally be an Animal Crossing character. But the one thing that bugs me is that most people who put an Animal Crossing character on their fan roster choose someone like Tom Nook, K.K. Slider, or Mr. Resetti...why? No, really, I genuinely want to know why non-playable Animal Crossing characters are so popular. Are people afraid to choose a character that doesn't have an official name or identity or something? I just don't get. If you look at every other character in Smash Bros., most of the roster is made up of characters that have been playable in games, with the few exceptions being villains (like Ganondorf) or other characters very important to their respective franchise (like Zelda/Sheik). And even in those cases, the main playable character(s) from those franchises are already on the roster. There's no way a franchise would get a non playable character on the roster before a playable one, it just doesn't make sense.

So, yeah...why do you choose Nook over an Animal Crossing boy/girl?

cednym

Banned
So, yeah...why do you choose Nook over an Animal Crossing boy/girl?

I actually used to include Boy/Girl on my older lists, but I think with a Mii in the game then the purpose of the Animal Crossing player character is sort of overshadowed. I know they would play nothing alike, but their roles are really similar — they're both avatars, essentially. I don't know, it just seems a bit strange to me that Sakurai would include two new "custom characters" like that.

PokéKong

Can you imagine having "Pokemon Trainer", Boy/Girl, AND Mii? And maybe even import your My Unit from Fire Emblem Awakening, maybe the original Dragon Quest Hero, an FF Fighter and a Black Mage.

Good times will be had by all, except the announcer whose job has become increasingly awkward.

Tyeforce

I actually used to include Boy/Girl on my older lists, but I think with a Mii in the game then the purpose of the Animal Crossing player character is sort of overshadowed. I know they would play nothing alike, but their roles are really similar — they're both avatars, essentially. I don't know, it just seems a bit strange to me that Sakurai would include two new "custom characters" like that.
You have a point, and I also would like to see Miis in as well, but I don't think that Miis would hurt the chances of Animal Crossing boy/girl. Besides, if an Animal Crossing character like that were to become a playable character, I don't think they would actually be customizable like a Mii would be. I think Sakurai might actually make his own character and give them a name, much like he did with Smashville. The Animal Crossing boy could be called "Smasher" or something like that. =P

But yeah, it just doesn't make much sense to me to see Tom Nook fighting in an Animal Crossing boy/girl's place. Doesn't mean it can't happen, of course, but I think they should stick with a playable character.

cednym

Banned
You have a point, and I also would like to see Miis in as well, but I don't think that Miis would hurt the chances of Animal Crossing boy/girl. Besides, if an Animal Crossing character like that were to become a playable character, I don't think they would actually be customizable like a Mii would be. I think Sakurai might actually make his own character and give them a name, much like he did with Smashville. The Animal Crossing boy could be called "Smasher" or something like that. =P

But yeah, it just doesn't make much sense to me to see Tom Nook fighting in an Animal Crossing boy/girl's place. Doesn't mean it can't happen, of course, but I think they should stick with a playable character.

I agree. I have a feeling an Animal Crossing character is likely to appear, but there's really no saying as to which character that will be.

Codeblue

I didn't mind the Dojo. What I did mind was the staggered release dates. I had managed to avoid the non-dojo cast right up until the Japanese launch, but one by one I caught glimpses of characters on Youtube related videos, forums, blogs, comments, articles, friends, it was unavoidable.

I think the Dojo revealing the starting line-up one by one was way cooler than looking at a screen shot on IGN or something, so I do hope they bring it back. Maybe just start way later into development or something.

PokéKong;35413999 said:
Can you imagine having "Pokemon Trainer", Boy/Girl, AND Mii? And maybe even import your My Unit from Fire Emblem Awakening, maybe the original Dragon Quest Hero, an FF Fighter and a Black Mage.

Good times will be had by all, except the announcer whose job has become increasingly awkward.

I'm telling you- make Black Mage, Red Mage, Ninja and a Chocobo all one character. THIS IDEA IS GENIUS WHY IS NO-ONE RESPECTING ME :mad:

illadelph

I actually feel like Tecmo's Ryu is a pretty strong contender for a 3rd Party slot. He has the history and Nintendo seems close with Tecmo right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom